PDA

View Full Version : Friends and Family

27th-October-2003, 03:21 PM
I have recently done a dance competition. My best friend and my parents have never seen me dance and i thought it would be nice to invite them along to watch. To my dismay i found out that it was going to cost me £75 for them to come along. :mad: WHY:confused:
None of them dance. I understand that the companies have to make their money and so forth. But why is there not a reduced price for things like this. In the end my parents did not end up coming and i paid for my friends ticket. :sad: Does anyone know why or does anyone agree with me on this one.

Pammy
27th-October-2003, 03:25 PM
Completely agree. My grandparents in the mid-80s would love to come and watch at say *the champs*, but considering the price of the tickets and my parents would have to bring them etc. it would be ridiculours. :tears:

Bill
27th-October-2003, 03:30 PM
Cheaper to film yourself - or have someone record you on the floor and then let them see the video :D

I did that with my mum and my sister. The response was more or less - 'well that's nice dear' before moving on to something more interesting :sick:

TheTramp
27th-October-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 007
I have recently done a dance competition. My best friend and my parents have never seen me dance and i thought it would be nice to invite them along to watch. To my dismay i found out that it was going to cost me £75 for them to come along. :mad: WHY:confused:
None of them dance. I understand that the companies have to make their money and so forth. But why is there not a reduced price for things like this. In the end my parents did not end up coming and i paid for my friends ticket. :sad: Does anyone know why or does anyone agree with me on this one. There isn't a reduced price, since usually there is a limit on the numbers that can come into a hall, and by letting in friends and family who don't dance at a reduced cost, they would have to (possibly, if the event is full - and of course, the organisers won't know that until the end) turn away someone who dances, and would pay full cost.

Remember that for most of the people running dance events, it is their full time method of earning.

Steve

Minnie M
27th-October-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by 007

I assume you are talking about the main organiser at Britroc, all other organisers make concessions for non-dancing family members

Reklaw
28th-October-2003, 01:04 AM
We have a "Watch Only" entry fee of £1, for just this sort of case, unfortunately you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many times it's abused and you end up with the "Watchers" actually dancing. :mad:

Minnie M
28th-October-2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Reklaw
We have a "Watch Only" entry fee of £1, for just this sort of case, unfortunately you'd be surprised (or maybe not) how many times it's abused and you end up with the "Watchers" actually dancing. :mad:

There aren't many dancing parents etc - I only know a very small number - however, if stretched to 'friends' I can see it being abused.

stewart38
3rd-November-2003, 05:27 PM
My parents were dancers, I sure a lot of ceroc dancers have dancing bug in their family ?

Minnie M
3rd-November-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by stewart38
My parents were dancers, I sure a lot of ceroc dancers have dancing bug in their family ?

I am sure they were, that is where we get our dancing skills from - but do they go dancing (modern jive that is) regularly now :wink:

My mother was a great dancer (ballroom) but alas I am the only family member now who dances :tears:

I know that Amanda (Tigger to her mates - Asif's lady) has dancing parents (leRoc Brighton) - or should this be a new thread ?

stewart38
3rd-November-2003, 05:42 PM
True my dads been dead a while so he wouldn't look or smell to good on the dance floor

My mum did ballroom etc but would just 'watch' I guess. She mention 'watching' at last champs but I told her it was just not the done thing, which in a way I guess was a bit sad

Forte
3rd-November-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
I am sure they were, that is where we get our dancing skills from - but do they go dancing (modern jive that is) regularly now :wink:

My mother was a great dancer (ballroom) but alas I am the only family member now who dances :tears:

I know that Amanda (Tigger to her mates - Asif's lady) has dancing parents (leRoc Brighton) - or should this be a new thread ?

My mum died when I was ten :tears: but I found out a lovely thing about her just a few weeks ago when I was talking to my Dad on the telephone and I told him I was going to the Scottish Champs to watch all my new pals compete.
He said my mum used to jive with a champion before she met him (my non jiving Dad!) :grin:
Dad said "She did somersaults, the splits, everything," . Aww:hug: She's been dead for decades but I didn't half feel all close to her again when he said that...

Hope you don't all need hankies now...:tears: It's meant to be a happy story :grin:

DavidY
3rd-November-2003, 06:04 PM
My parents were dancers, I sure a lot of ceroc dancers have dancing bug in their family ? I can think of a few people who come to Ceroc with their relatives. I know of quite a few mothers & daughters who come together, and a few other people who turn up with other relatives.

ChrisA
3rd-November-2003, 06:10 PM
My parents met ballroom dancing. They didn't compete, but certainly danced a lot.

I first got into dancing when my mum dragged me screaming to a ballroom and latin school when I was 15. I loved it until some kids in my class saw me going in there one Saturday - my life at school was misery for weeks, but the bug had bitten by then.

Then I met my (now ex) wife by being partnered with her on the uni ballroom/latin team.

And it was during our rather protracted parting that she got me into Ceroc.

Funny old life, eh?

Chris

ChrisA
3rd-November-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Hope you don't all need hankies now...:tears: It's meant to be a happy story :grin:
Not at all hon, I think that's lovely.

Chris :hug: :hug: :hug:

Boomer
3rd-November-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Forte

It is :nice:

Heather
3rd-November-2003, 07:00 PM
:D :D My nine year old daughter won the 'Best dancer ' competition at my school Halloween Disco last week. A bit ironic really to be the best of the kids at my school , when my daughter goes to another school and was only there because I volunteered to help out!!!:rofl: :rofl:

:hug:
Heather.
XX

This is the daughter who gave Brady HipHop 'lessons' and 'exam' in my living room one Sunday afternoon!!!:rofl:
(He passed, by the way!!!!:rofl: :rofl: ).

Minnie M
3rd-November-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
Not at all hon, I think that's lovely.

Chris :hug: :hug: :hug:

me too - really lovely - a hug from the mouse too:hug:

Daisy
3rd-November-2003, 11:09 PM
My mum & dad were fantastic dancing together and dad could lead me through any dance (even when I didn't know what I was doing). I really miss seeing them dance together now.

I took Mum to watch us 'do our stuff' at a recent dance...she really enjoyed seeing everyone dancing but was totally frustrated not to be able to join in...she's 82yrs. It must be hard having to give up this thing that we all love doing...I dread the time when I won't be able to take to the dance floor again. Hopefully though I'll be dancing for many years to come yet.:)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2003, 10:31 AM
I managed to get my 70 year old grandmother going to Ceroc in Dundee - she quite enjoyed it, although you did have to struggle to lead her a bit, stong willed woman :). Unfortunately she died from cancer at the beginning of the year, but my sister is now in Edinburgh and is regularly going to Marcos on a Monday night.

Dont think there was any dance history in my family though (still isnt :D).

Rachel
4th-November-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Daisy
It must be hard having to give up this thing that we all love doing...I dread the time when I won't be able to take to the dance floor again. Hopefully though I'll be dancing for many years to come yet.:) I really dread it, too - I keep wondering what I'll end up doing instead...

Still, my grandmother is in her mid eighties and still goes out dancing every night - and loves all the attention she gets from her 'toy boys'. I'm kinda hoping I'll grow up to be like her!

(Just my one toy boy will do me fine, though - eh Marc?)
Rachel

Minnie M
4th-November-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Rachel
Still, my grandmother is in her mid eighties and still goes out dancing every night

And what about FRANKIE MANNING the guy who gave Lindy Hop to us - he is still dancing and teaching regularly AND he is celabrating his 90th birthday next year ! (I did a lindy class with him in Herrang this year and he actually demonstrated all moves including a JUMP) and was dancing with the girlies in the evening - mind you he is an exception - unless you can tell me of another ......................................