PDA

View Full Version : Swingtime in the Rockies in Denver... review!

Caro
17th-June-2008, 07:32 PM
Finally getting round to posting a review of the event... what a blast !

First of all, comp results:
- Mike and Sue placed 4th in the strictly novice and hence came back with a trophy :clap: Good job guys!!!
- They both made finals of the JnJ novice, drew each other and came 10th (nerves got the better of them! Still that's a point each!)
- I got my own trophy too placing 3rd in the open (yay!) proam JnJ, I drew the amazing Doug Rousar (with whom I had - strangely enough - never danced before, believe it or not!) and had the best dances of my weekend there - it was challenging, really musical (all the credit to him he's fab!), in a word, awesome :D
- not so good bit is that I was alternate in the final of the JnJ, i.e. first out, that kinda sucked. Seeing the scoring didn't help as I had more 'yes' than the girls in front of me (that's JnJ for you :rolleyes: ). Can only try and do better next time...!

To be honest since I was watching it all, I was truly impressed with the standard of dancing in the finals (I know we say that all the time, but it was truly striking compared with swing diego - the spotlight format probably got the better of us though). With the exception of may be 2 or 3 couples, they would all have blended perfectly well in intermediate. Really good :worthy:.

The hotel, the organisation and everything around the event was to the standard you expect of US events so all good there.
The event is smaller than the 'big ones' like Boogie or SD, but still about 700 dancers there and some great social dancing. Being a NASDE event most of the pros where there too.
Plenty of (free) workshops, including a line dance with LD star Jo Thompson...

The atmosphere was very friendly, with lots of people cheering for London when we were on the floor!

Met loads of new people and I even got interviewed for Global dance TV - that's a new TV channel that will be launched soon, where there will be dancing 24h - including live transmissions of major events like the US open etc (guess who will be up in the middle of the night watching her screen... :whistle: ).

What else ? Great weather, great company (thanks Sue, Mike and RP :hug:), and 3 pretty trophies more for the UK, what else can we ask for ?

Lost Leader
17th-June-2008, 07:45 PM
Hey, go Caro! Any trophy we can pinch from the back yard of our friends across the pond is good by me. Better still its for some strange kind of dancing they invented. Classic :cheers:

Caro
17th-June-2008, 08:23 PM
Forgot this weekend's hot tunes:

My discarded men - Eartha Kitt (an old blues fav but had never danced wcs to it I think!)
I don't live in a dream - Jackie Greene :drool:
Meet me with your black drawers on - Jeannie and Jimmy Cheatham :worthy:
All summer long - Kid Rock :cool:
Funkafield blues - EC Scott, this was the line dance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkjYOfgsGjE)

(can't find the last 3 on itunes though :tears: )

mikeyr
21st-June-2008, 08:07 PM
And Thankyou too for making it a really fun weekend and all the Lovely dances, and I still feel I need to apologise for the our Semi Final dance that was our worst one of the weekend but my partner before you freaked me out I nearly slapped her:eek:to see if was alive, how she got through to the I'll never know. My finals partner from ACC didnt make it through either she was a lovely dancer.

To be honest since I was watching it all, I was truly impressed with the standard of dancing in the finals (I know we say that all the time, but it was truly striking compared with swing diego - the spotlight format probably got the better of us though). With the exception of may be 2 or 3 couples, they would all have blended perfectly well in intermediate. Really good :worthy:.

You said that to me at the time, so I checked the WSDC points of the competitors in the strictly top 5 finishers the next lowest ranked was on 14 points there were leaders and followers of both categories with as much as 28points, the lowest apart from us was 8 - 10 points.

The other thing is that the event is an AANCE tour qualifier so anybody wanting to get to finals in Houston was there ( Iam hoping I qualified)

I know points dont neccesarily make prizes but it still means comp experience
which we dont have, I think that placing where we did in our category was a real acheivement but getting 3rd in the open Cat with the class of competition there was fantastic!!!!:respect:

I remember saying when you came off the floor that it looked Awsome:na::D