PDA

View Full Version : Things that make you go GRRRRRR?

Lory
27th-October-2003, 10:37 AM
These are my things, what are yours?

1. Wearing something new and realising after one dance it was a mistake. (I wore a skirt once, that kept twisting round my legs, i had to go home very early as it drove me nuts)

2. Men who smell.

3. Loosing my drink.

4. Men who don't make eye contact, they might as well be dancing with themselves

5. Pretzel after Pretzel... ZZZZZZ

6. People who only ever dance by the stage

7. Hearing my favourite track, when I'm half way to the Loo

8. When I don't get a move, first time, during freestyle and I politely ask, 'what was i supposed to do there? and all I get in return is a condescending smile. It was a proper Question and requires a proper answer~! SHOW ME! please

9. Dancing with men who don't 'hear' the music. Being forced to dance out of time and Leads who don't hear 'breaks' and just dance straight though

10. Excessively sweaty and slippery hands! There IS a cure!!! the name is DRICLOR, its available from larger branches of Boots, on the deodorants section, you rub it on your hands at bed time and wash it off in the morning, after about 4 days you'll be amazed! (it works for feet too)

11.A big GRRRR to my self for not risking double spins, I know I CAN do it but I put up a mental barrier (having said that, I once did a TRIPLE spin with a guy called Seamus. woo hoo, thankyou darling, I will remember that fondly for EVER)

12. Getting cramp in my second toe

13. After doing my hair (which is long) the first move of the eve turns out to involve me reversing out backwards from under the mans armpit, i call it the 'Dragged through the hedge move' lol
(its a sight to be seen)

14. People who are friendly one week, then ignore u the next (mainly women)

15. Being dropped without warning from a total stranger, I hate the loud involuntary squeal I do! lol

and lastly

16, Ending a good night with a rubbish dance
:sad: :rolleyes: :what: :rofl: :tears:

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2003, 01:14 PM
Here are some of the many things that make me go GRRRRR....

I've based them on Lory's list - except number 17 which is all my own work.

1. Wearing something new and nobody noticing.

2. Partners who smell bad.

3. Partners who don't make eye contact.

4. Women who don't meet your eyes and behave as if you're doing something wrong because you're looking into theirs.

5. Women who sit in one place looking grumpy because they've not been asked to dance - and then still look grumpy when you ask them...

6. People who dance as if no-one else except them belongs on the floor.

7. Hearing my favourite track start just after I've asked a grumpy woman who won't meet my eyes.

8. Women who get stroppy/frosty when, having failed to get them to do the move I've led, I say 'would you like me to show you how that one goes?'.

9. Dancing with partners who anticipate the next move, zipping along in a world of their own - even in the breaks, and who constantly bounce/flick their hand jerking my shoulder.

10. Women who moiturise their hands with slippery cream that makes them smell like your mother.

11. Women who do loads and loads of spins with no warning and leave you standing there with your hand out waiting until they decide to stop.

12. Being 47, getting tired and having to take a break.

13. Not having much hair:tears:

14. Being forgetful/thick/senile and not remembering people who I've obviously met and spoken with in the past.

15. Partners who throw themselves away from you in drops.

16. Ending a great night on a ordinary track.

17. Dancing to music sung by male vocalists with whiny nasal voices, no breaks, no highlights, no key changes and a beat that grinds relentlessly to a fade at the end. Some people think it's swing, and very cool, but to me it sounds like Country and Western meets swing in a Little Chef - this is my biggest current GRRRR - apart from smoking next to the dance floor of course:sick:

Emma
27th-October-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
17. Dancing to music sung by male vocalists with whiny nasal voices, no breaks, no highlights, no key changes and a beat that grinds relentlessly to a fade at the end. Some people think it's swing, and very cool, but to me it sounds like Country and Western meets swing in a Little Chef - this is my biggest current GRRRR - apart from smoking next to the dance floor of course:sick: C'mon Andy - get it off your chest! :grin:

Forte
27th-October-2003, 01:46 PM

11. Women who do loads and loads of spins with no warning and leave you standing there with your hand out waiting until they decide to stop.

k:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and here's me excited cause I've just started doing doubles...should I stop now? :wink:

TheTramp
27th-October-2003, 01:50 PM

1. Wearing something new and nobody noticing.

16. Ending a great night on a ordinary track.

17. Dancing to music sung by male vocalists with whiny nasal voices, no breaks, no highlights, no key changes and a beat that grinds relentlessly to a fade at the end. Some people think it's swing, and very cool, but to me it sounds like Country and Western meets swing in a Little Chef - this is my biggest current GRRRR - apart from smoking next to the dance floor of course:sick: 1. In your suits and shirts Andy, I don't think that this will ever be a problem!!

11. Hypocrite!! :rolleyes:

16. Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy?? :na:

17. Toploader - Dancing in the Moonlight? Van Morrison - Brown Eyed Girl?? And don't even get me started on the Mavericks :wink:

Steve

Gadget
27th-October-2003, 02:46 PM
14. Being forgetful/thick/senile and not remembering people who I've obviously met and spoken with in the past.

This happend to me last week - it's a little disconcerting when 'strangers' ask after your family and comment on your hair cut etc. when you can't place them at all! {she even told me where and when we met !:sick::sad:}

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 03:00 PM
8. Women who get stroppy/frosty when, having failed to get them to do the move I've led, I say 'would you like me to show you how that one goes?'.

Seems pretty reasonable to me. :waycool:

If I can't lead a move well enough to get someone I don't know to follow it first time, I might just have another go later in the dance if I know what part of the lead failed, but that's as far as it goes.

If I don't know her, and I'm not able to lead her through a particular move, how can I possibly know if she will feel "put down", and hear what I say as an offer to show her how she failed - no matter how helpful my intentions?

Personally I wouldn't do it, unless I'm taxiing and the role of teacher is at least implicit.

Chris

Bill
27th-October-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by Lory

1. Wearing something new and realising after one dance it was a mistake. (I wore a skirt once, that kept twisting round my legs, i had to go home very early as it drove me nuts)

Why do women do this ??????????????? It's like women who wear a short skirt or wrap-over skirt and then spend all day/night tugging at it because it opens or rides up !!! And dancing with a woman who spends most of a dance unable to offer both hands because one is on the little strap which keeps falling down or on the hem of a dress because it keeps riding up is a pain.

I know you can't dance in the changing rooms but isn't it obvious that some styles and material will wrap or cling ???? Even as a man ( :rolleyes: ) I know what Fran will be able to dance in - well more or less - though trousers tend to be a safe bet :D

Same as Andy - women who look glum before you dance and look as if they'd rather be anywhere else than dancing with you. Not an incentive to ask again.

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 03:34 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lory
[B]

Great posting, Lory, nice to have the chance for an official moan
:rofl:

2. Men who smell.

Agree ....YUK!

3. Loosing my drink

I've started taking my own water bottle to classes (sad, I know) cos I'm tired of buying then having it nicked!

This happens all the time, think its called "Sod's Law"

8. When I don't get a move, first time, during freestyle and I politely ask, 'what was i supposed to do there? and all I get in return is a condescending smile. It was a proper Question and requires a proper answer~! SHOW ME! please

I'm def. with you on this one, Lory. Drives me mad!

9. Dancing with men who don't 'hear' the music. Being forced to dance out of time and Leads who don't hear 'breaks' and just dance straight though

There are, unfortunately quite a few men I've danced with who don't "hear" the music, as for breaks, I've only just learnt about them, but don't know of many men who have, or who bother to use them. I think they are great, gives me chance to wiggle (I love to wiggle, think I used to be a worm in a previous life!)

10. Excessively sweaty and slippery hands! There IS a cure!!! the name is DRICLOR, its available from larger branches of Boots, on the deodorants section, you rub it on your hands at bed time and wash it off in the morning, after about 4 days you'll be amazed! (it works for feet too)

Really? Not heard of it. Does it work on scalps too? My biggest problem is that at the end of the night my hair is so wet and clung to my head that I look as if I've been swimming not dancing!

Infuriating! You say Hi in a lively friendly way, only to be looked right through!

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
... who quoted Lory: "8. When I don't get a move, first time, during freestyle and I politely ask, 'what was i supposed to do there? and all I get in return is a condescending smile. It was a proper Question and requires a proper answer~! SHOW ME! please"

I'm def. with you on this one, Lory. Drives me mad!

That condescending smile may well actually be an expression of "I wish I could tell you, I would love to be able to impress you by helping - it would make me look good as well as helping you, but my brain is already in overload thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing (and how did we get our arms this way round???). If I tried to say anything, it would come out as 'wibble'."

Guess how I know.. :)

Chris

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
That condescending smile may well actually be an expression of "I wish I could tell you, I would love to be able to impress you by helping - it would make me look good as well as helping you, but my brain is already in overload thinking about what I'm supposed to be doing (and how did we get our arms this way round???). If I tried to say anything, it would come out as 'wibble'."

Guess how I know.. :)

Chris

:rofl: :rofl: I guess you have a point Chris, but that doesn't mean that he can't take you through it at the end of the dance. In my experience, the sort of man Lory means, will just say a perfuntory "thanks" at the end and buzz off!

Am I right Lory????

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 04:21 PM
:rofl: :rofl: I guess you have a point Chris, but that doesn't mean that he can't take you through it at the end of the dance. In my experience, the sort of man Lory means, will just say a perfuntory "thanks" at the end and buzz off!

Am I right Lory????
Totally agree.... any guy worth a light would be happy to do this if he can, and should admit it with a good grace if he can't.

Chris

Lory
27th-October-2003, 04:38 PM

Am I right Lory????

Absolutly Bardsey, the men I mean are the ones who you just know are thinking, if she can't get it first time, I won't waste my time teaching her as I won't be asking her to dance again!

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 04:55 PM
Absolutly Bardsey, the men I mean are the ones who you just know are thinking, if she can't get it first time, I won't waste my time teaching her as I won't be asking her to dance again!

I know the sort you mean. Probably wouldn't want to dance with them again either, but it doesn't half dent your confidence when you know someone now has it planted in their head that your not that good a dancer, when in actual fact, you could dance them into the ground (preferably with a sledge hammer.....:rofl: ) Ooops sorry, bit violent that, I retract it !

Dreadful Scathe
27th-October-2003, 05:09 PM
I know the sort you mean. Probably wouldn't want to dance with them again either, but it doesn't half dent your confidence when you know someone now has it planted in their head that your not that good a dancer,

its not always as simple as that - ive tried to lead moves that have failed before but i wouldnt stop dancing because of it - one slip up shouldnt spoil a dance after all. By the time the end of the dance comes theres no way im going to be able to recall the move i tried and failed to lead (my brain aint wired that way, cant think and dance). So, i think id be one of those guys you're talking about. If i had never danced with you before though, id be less likely to try anything difficult to lead.

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
its not always as simple as that - ive tried to lead moves that have failed before but i wouldnt stop dancing because of it - one slip up shouldnt spoil a dance after all. By the time the end of the dance comes theres no way im going to be able to recall the move i tried and failed to lead (my brain aint wired that way, cant think and dance). So, i think id be one of those guys you're talking about. If i had never danced with you before though, id be less likely to try anything difficult to lead.

It always comes back to this male thing of not being able to do two things at once, in this case think and dance :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh dear, sorry about that, just couldn't resist it.....no offence meant:devil:

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2003, 05:21 PM
Seems pretty reasonable to me. :waycool:

If I can't lead a move well enough to get someone I don't know to follow it first time, I might just have another go later in the dance if I know what part of the lead failed, but that's as far as it goes.

If I don't know her, and I'm not able to lead her through a particular move, how can I possibly know if she will feel "put down", and hear what I say as an offer to show her how she failed - no matter how helpful my intentions?

Personally I wouldn't do it, unless I'm taxiing and the role of teacher is at least implicit.

Chris

I only suggest I show someone a move if they're either a beginner and just plain getting it wrong or if they're a really experienced dancer and just didn't get one small part of a move like the double time bit at the end of a first move walk. And I would never mention a second move because it would sound like I was nagging.

Mostly I get a thank you and women are grateful that I've taken the time to work with them so we can both dance better together. When I've gone through this process with some women they even asked me to show them moves I haven't even done which other guys have tried and got wrong with them - which is a nice endorsement of the intention behind my showing them a move in the first place.

Nine times out of ten I get the expected reaction - it's only once in a while that I get that frosty stare:what:

Dreadful Scathe
27th-October-2003, 05:36 PM
It always comes back to this male thing of not being able to do two things at once, in this case think and dance

why would you WANT to think whilst dancing ? Wouldnt you rather get lost in the dance...or do you think about shoe shopping and makeup whilst dancing ? :)

game on : i see your juvenile sexist dig and raise you an even more juvenile stereotypical dig ;)

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 05:38 PM
I only suggest I show someone a move if they're either a beginner and just plain getting it wrong

I agree, beginners are often very grateful for help like this.

or if they're a really experienced dancer and just didn't get one small part of a move like the double time bit at the end of a first move walk.

A more difficult call. I'm much less experienced that you are, Andy, maybe that judgement call gets easier with time.

And I would never mention a second move because it would sound like I was nagging.

Not sure what you mean by a "second move"... but I agree any labouring of a point is bad news on the dance floor.

Chris

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 05:47 PM
why would you WANT to think whilst dancing ? Wouldnt you rather get lost in the dance...

Don't understand why these should be mutually exclusive. :waycool:

Chris

Lory
27th-October-2003, 06:04 PM
why would you WANT to think whilst dancing ? Wouldnt you rather get lost in the dance...or do you think about shoe shopping and makeup whilst dancing ? :)

game on : i see your juvenile sexist dig and raise you an even more juvenile stereotypical dig ;) I had no idea i was going to prevoke such a row, i thought I'd have a little light hearted moan and everyone else would make a list of their light hearted moans for my amusment too?
Hmm, I can feel another moan coming on! :rofl:

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2003, 06:06 PM
A more difficult call. I'm much less experienced that you are, Andy, maybe that judgement call gets easier with time.Chris

I still get this wrong, hence the stony looks. I just feel it is wrong to do a move with a woman and make her wrong and then not put her right. If you don't say anything she stays wrong - and I think that's rude.

Of course, I only say something when I'm sure my lead is right.

Not sure what you mean by a "second move"... but I agree any labouring of a point is bad news on the dance floor.

Chris

I mean that I have already shown how one move goes, to pick out a second move she gets wrong would be nasty and bullying. I usually stick to non-challenging moves after I've shown them how to do a move. This because I don't want my partner to think I'm deliberately choosing moves to make her look bad - of course most of this happens in my head - along with thoughts of shoe shopping, make-up, cross-dressing, cooking, etc.

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 06:16 PM

game on : i see your juvenile sexist dig and raise you an even more juvenile stereotypical dig ;)

No I don't think of shoe-shopping and make-up, just how best to keep my feet out of the way of someone's big feet and even bigger ego, which I'm afraid some men have and display by suddenly launching into some intricate move which almosts breaks his partner's arm, cos the blond in the corner is watching him. So, had he been thinking as well as dancing, he might have thought to keep his feet in check as well as his ego and thought of his partner's ability to follow his inadequate signals.

Game on : I see your juvenile steriotypical dig and call with my completely uncalled for scathe of some men's behaviour (which I have to admit I haven't realy experienced myself, just heard other's moan about but thought it sounded good). :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-October-2003, 06:20 PM
and call with my completely uncalled for scatheOooh. Now it's getting personal!! :D

Steve

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 06:23 PM
and even bigger ego, which I'm afraid some men have and display by suddenly launching into some intricate move which almosts breaks his partner's arm,

-snip-

So, had he been thinking as well as dancing, he might have thought to keep his feet in check as well as his ego and thought of his partner's ability to follow his inadequate signals.

Hear hear !!

cos the blond in the corner is watching him.
... or so he imagines...:D

Chris

Boomer
27th-October-2003, 06:41 PM
...cos the blond in the corner is watching him....
But doesn't realise its the McGregster in a Friday-night drag special, and the look isn't desire but envy, coz the other blokes' got all his own hair :devil:

Things that make me go 'hoo', nor the 'grr' type.

1) No eye contact, not the shy 'its difficult to look' but the 'oh I just can't be bothered, where's my fav dancer look'.:angry:

2) Men grabbing arm for a dance, not asking...seen it a few more times I'm afraid....really feel like saying something, but I guess its not my business.

3) Actually relates to no:1 When someone realises you're not that good (a newby) and barely manages to put a smile on their face....glad to say this hasn't happened often :nice:

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
2) Men grabbing arm for a dance, not asking...seen it a few more times I'm afraid....really feel like saying something, but I guess its not my business.

I tend to do this a bit, if it's busy... but only with people I know reasonably well. Always gentle... always by way of request - or at least that's the intention.

Please tell me, ladies, if it ever comes across any differently from me...

Chris

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 07:00 PM
1) No eye contact, not the shy 'its difficult to look' but the 'oh I just can't be bothered, where's my fav dancer look'.:angry:

Yep. I'd rather they said "bugger off you're a crap dancer" once, than spend three minutes with me telling me the same thing over and over again - just without words.

Chris

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2003, 07:52 PM
Yep. I'd rather they said "bugger off you're a crap dancer" once, than spend three minutes with me telling me the same thing over and over again - just without words.

Chris

I get this a bit too. Particularly when I go for the 'nerdy dancer' look that I've been experimenting with.

My original premise was that I wanted my dancing to speak for itself rather than my clothes communicating that I think I'm great - you know the look, black and white shoes, braces, high waisted trousers, hat, etc. (possibly pyjama bottoms - but that's for other people, not me). The nerdy look has been a bit of a flop. When I'm dressed nerdy women have that 'Oh, all right, but I won't expect too much' look on their face. I then spend the rest of the track trying to get them to change their expression - and the scary thing is that sometimes I fail:tears:

18. And another thing that makes me go GRRR is people that wear black and white shoes that aren't even on the beat.

p.s. I gave my black and white shoes to a student that couldn't afford dance shoes about 3 years ago. I'd gone through my 'I'm good enough to go black and white' phase and come out realising I still needed to know much more before I qualified.

Emma
27th-October-2003, 08:11 PM
you know the look, black and white shoes, braces, high waisted trousers :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And as for showing someone a move: it depends, dunnit? Sometimes I am really happy for someone to show me something if I have missed it, and then on other occasions what I want to do is have a dance - and so to be stopped to be taught something can be very irritating and maybe even feel humiliating. Especially if it's one of my current fave tunes.

I think that to be shown at the end would be great - but I can see that it might be hard to remember the move...plus plenty of people have a tendency to dash off to their next partner (or get grabbed!). :nice:

Jon
27th-October-2003, 08:38 PM
I gave my black and white shoes to a student that couldn't afford dance shoes about 3 years ago. I'd gone through my 'I'm good enough to go black and white' phase and come out realising I still needed to know much more before I qualified.

Andy to be honest in my opinion the people who wear black n white shoes are not the best dancers with afew exceptions. Maybe someone should start a new thread 'Why do you wear black n whites?'. Right I'm off to hide mine now as I dont think I qualify as an exception yet :tears:

ChrisA
27th-October-2003, 09:11 PM
I get this a bit too. Particularly when I go for the 'nerdy dancer' look that I've been experimenting with.

My tentative step into the world of experimenting with "look" stalled a bit on Saturday. Mostly I tend to wear black, but I thought I'd go for a predominantly white look between showers during the 6-hour freestyle. One girl said she liked it, "made me look more approachable"... another said she preferred the "mean and sexy" black look.

Given that the reason I tend to wear black is that it survives till the next shirt change a bit better than colours, I assumed that the girl who offered the latter view had either been drinking, or thought I was someone else on the relatively dark dancefloor...

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Chris, fashion guru, not.

Dreadful Scathe
27th-October-2003, 11:05 PM
cos the blond in the corner is watching him.

The blond in the corner is always watching and Im always trying to impress ;)

Andy McGregor
27th-October-2003, 11:55 PM
My tentative step into the world of experimenting with "look" stalled a bit on Saturday. Mostly I tend to wear black, but I thought I'd go for a predominantly white look between showers during the 6-hour freestyle. One girl said she liked it, "made me look more approachable"... another said she preferred the "mean and sexy" black look.

The only times I've had women comment favourably about my clothes have been when I've gone glittery and when I've gone tight and black - although the best compliments I've received were when I wore fencing gear to a masked fancy dress ball - until I took the mask off:tears:

Given that the reason I tend to wear black is that it survives till the next shirt change a bit better than colours,

I've been through many, many different shirt strategies. In terms of what lasts best between changes, I've found baggy Hawiian shirts work well. They allow air to circulate keeping you cool, don't show wet patches and look no different when worn after being crumpled in your bag. The only problem is that people think you're a fashion victim. The good news is that these shirts are always in the sale:waycool:

Lory
28th-October-2003, 08:37 AM
The only times I've had women comment favourably about my clothes have been when I've gone glittery and when I've gone tight and black - although the best compliments I've received were when I wore fencing gear to a masked fancy dress ball - until I took the mask off:tears:

:waycool:
Maybe someone ought to give 'Trinny and Susanna' from 'What not to wear' a call? lol :na:

DavidB
28th-October-2003, 09:32 AM
Maybe someone ought to give 'Trinny and Susanna' from 'What not to wear' a call? Andy would rip them to pieces

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2003, 10:54 AM
Maybe someone ought to give 'Trinny and Susanna' from 'What not to wear' a call? lol :na:

Can they do Double-Trouble?:devil:

As far as I can see Trinny and Susanna spend all their time sitting on sofas and talking - and they would never, ever sweat! Us dancers need dancing clothes that we can move freely in, sweat into, wash well, wear well, iron easily, make us look good when we move and as well as when we stand still.

The girls have it easier. When they go to dancewear shops like Felix there's row upon row of Lycra(tm) creations with glittery bits - the guys clothes are just a few pairs of pyjama bottoms. When they go to ladies clothes shops there's still plenty of things that are just right for dancing.

When us guys look in the shops there's shirts and trousers or sportswear - we have to search for the odd item in many, many shops. Or we go for the two easy options, jeans/chinos and a t-shirt or black everything. Both of these looks turn us into dancing clones - especially if the 'black everything' guy wears black and white shoes:devil:

Just recently I was watching the video of last years Bristol championships. All of the girls looked stunning:waycool: A huge proportion of the guys wore t-shirts - many of them baggy and hanging out. Come on guys, what are you thinking about? You're dancing with a woman who's spent ages getting her look just so and you've worn something you bought on holiday:confused: Those baggy t-shirts might have something clever written on them but they've got absolutely no style. If you haven't got any other ideas, at least wear black and look cool.

Next GRRRRRR

19. People that dress for competitions like they're only doing the rehearsal or the warm up. They wear old track suit bottoms or baggy trousers and old baggy shirts. Even some girls do it. You're performing - please dress like a performer:waycool:

PeterL
28th-October-2003, 12:20 PM
Things that make me go GRRRRRR

1. People that constantly complain about the way others dance.

Is it so hard to remember that when you start you aren't on beat and should someone who enjoys dancing but has no rythm quit just because you don't like dancing with them.

2. People who complain about lack of eye contact.

some people can't give eye contact easily, there are many reasons, should these people also quit dancing.

3. People who complain about dancers who miss the breaks,

breaks are optional and not everyone "hears" them.

4 People who complain about dancers who dance too complicated moves.

Some people like this

5. People who complain about dancers who don't dance complicated moves.

Other people like this

Basically all I am trying to say is that most dancers are not experts, most dancers won't win any competitions, don't complain about them all the time. They will either improve or they won't and does it really matter as long as they enjoy it.

:devil: :sorry

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2003, 12:30 PM
20. People who complain about people who would like to have more fun when they say what makes it less fun:devil:

PeterL
28th-October-2003, 12:31 PM
20. People who complain about people who would like to have more fun when they say what makes it less fun:devil:

touche
:devil: :yum:

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 12:32 PM
The blond in the corner is always watching and Im always trying to impress ;)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thanks for that bit of banter, it really made me laugh yesterday. I'm sure you impress all the ladies, not just the blonds!!! Most of us seem to fall for the "smurfs" of this world. True, ladies???

Gadget
28th-October-2003, 12:43 PM
although the best compliments I've received were when I wore fencing gear to a masked fancy dress ball - until I took the mask off:tears:
You're not one of these with sprey-on breeches are you? I have been told by more than one female fencer that the only reason they turned up on the introductary night was because of a certain male's breeches :what: :wink:

ChrisA
28th-October-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by PeterL
Is it so hard to remember that when you start you aren't on beat and should someone who enjoys dancing but has no rythm quit just because you don't like dancing with them.

There's a big difference between a beginner who will get off the beat from time to time because of not yet being able to coordinate reliably, and someone who has been dancing for ages, knows loads of complicated moves and insists on dancing them completely without regard to the music - its beat, let alone any accents.

Arrhythmic dancing is intensely unpleasant, for the one that has to suffer it.

some people can't give eye contact easily, there are many reasons, should these people also quit dancing.

I think the root problem here isn't just lack of eye contact, which I agree with you about - it's when the lack of eye contact is just a symptom of a complete lack of involvement with the dance. A dance is a relationship - albeit a short one - and should be participated in by both partners. If one doesn't, it's uncomfortable for the other.

3. People who complain about dancers who miss the breaks - breaks are optional and not everyone "hears" them.

I was helped a great deal by a lady who, very constructively, opened my eyes (and ears) to accents in the music. For a moment, I felt about as worthwhile as a maggot, but I am so glad she didn't just say nothing and move on to someone who "opted" to respect the breaks.

4 People who complain about dancers who dance too complicated moves - Some people like this

5. People who complain about dancers who don't dance complicated moves - Other people like this

Absolutely, and as well as the right to choose the moves, the leader also has the responsibility to be able to distinguish the one group from the other - ie don't dance too many complicated moves with those that don't like it. Again, it's not about whether complicated moves are right or wrong - it's whether they are right at the time.

Chris

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
You're not one of these with spray-on breeches are you? I have been told by more than one female fencer that the only reason they turned up on the introductory night was because of a certain male's breeches :what: :wink:

The are quite tight. They're boiling hot too:wink:

Gadget
28th-October-2003, 01:48 PM
My main GRRRR is ladies that spin out of time with the muisic; they can follow the beat (or the rhythm I'm leading) to all the other moves where I have contact, but as soon as they go into a free-spin, they complete it a fraction (or sometimes a half-beat) too soon... it just disrupts my whole 'flow'. :mad:

My other one is lady's anticipating the move - not 'leading' as such (I don't mind too much when moves are hi-jacked :wink: ) but just throwing themselves into moves with no attention to my attempts at directing them.

{Andy: keep them on the radiator then ? :innocent:}

Will
28th-October-2003, 02:14 PM
21. Brussel Sprouts

PeterL
28th-October-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by Will
21. Brussel Sprouts

snap
:rofl: :rofl:

Bill
28th-October-2003, 05:16 PM
women who insist on throwing themselves into drops when you have no intention of doing a drop.

and DS................ wonder who the blonde could be - you have a stalker :rolleyes: :D

Boomer
28th-October-2003, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Bill
women who insist on throwing themselves into drops when you have no intention of doing a drop.

Does this include in class, when you have made it quite clear you'd rather not do a drop you haven't the confidence for?:mad:

Bill
28th-October-2003, 05:44 PM
Does this include in class, when you have made it quite clear you'd rather not do a drop you haven't the confidence for?:mad:

Could do but I tend not to do too many anyway as I'm always worried about crowded dance floors but that doesn't stop some women and some men who throw their partners into some incredibly stupid drops.

I was dancing in England last week ( well bits of it !!) and at a couple of very busy venues a few men were still doing drops even though it meant the lady's head was dangerously close to several feet. Unfortunately the teacher wasn't able to witness this and so deak with them.:devil:

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 05:50 PM
12. Being 47, getting tired and having to take a break.

All of Lory's, and all of Andy's, except for number 47, no sorry number 12. (There were so, so many wimpy youngsters who didn't have the stamina for the late nights at RBs)

And most of all, being ill/injured and unable to go dancing in the first place.

Greg

Now I must go and read the rest of this thread.

ChrisA
28th-October-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
(There were so, so many wimpy youngsters who didn't have the stamina for the late nights at RBs)

Mentioning no names, but.....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

... though total respect to those that not only stayed up till the end, also made it to the breakfast class.

Chris

David Franklin
28th-October-2003, 05:54 PM
I was dancing in England last week ( well bits of it !!) and at a couple of very busy venues a few men were still doing drops even though it meant the lady's head was dangerously close to several feet. Unfortunately the teacher wasn't able to witness this and so deak with them.:devil:
Of course, last time I was at Fulham the teacher was doing big airsteps during the freestyle :angry:

Dave

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2003, 05:54 PM
Most of us seem to fall for the "smurfs" of this world. True, ladies???

Dont expect a response - most of these ladies have met me :)

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 05:55 PM

I was dancing in England last week ( well bits of it !!) and at a couple of very busy venues a few men were still doing drops even though it meant the lady's head was dangerously close to several feet. Unfortunately the teacher wasn't able to witness this and so deak with them.:devil: [/B]

Ooops hope that wasn't at Leeds..... but can guess it could have been. We do have a few men here who do drops as just part of their standard routine!!!

ChrisA
28th-October-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by David Franklin
Of course, last time I was at Fulham the teacher was doing big airsteps during the freestyle :angry:

Dave
Hotshots have the right to do anything they damn well like on the dance floor, though, don't they - the more crowded the better, since they get seen by more people?

That's close to the top of my Grrr list.

Chris

Bill
28th-October-2003, 05:59 PM
Ooops hope that wasn't at Leeds..... but can guess it could have been. We do have a few men here who do drops as just part of their standard routine!!!

Didn't see anyone in Leeds doing anything dangerous but some women seem to really enjoy being 'dropped' regardless of the danger to themselves - either that or they are oblivious to the danger. I think Helen would deal with any man ( or woman) doing inappropriate drops !!

But equally dangerous for the woman to throw herself into a seducer or drop when the man isn't ready. Thankfully it doesn't happen too often but I think Lorna is going to do some drops when we're away next week and re-inforce the need for safety.

Hope you had a good night last night at Leeds.

Andy McGregor
28th-October-2003, 06:53 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont expect a response - most of these ladies have met me :)

Maybe the ladies that haven't met Mr Scathe have a different idea of what a Smurf is.

So come on Bardsey, what is it about Smurfs that makes them so attractive?:devil:

..am I one?:blush:

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 06:59 PM
So much good stuff on this thread, I will need time to collect my thoughts, and, if I have the nerve, post a VERY upstairs poll prompted by the banter.

But for now just time to post another Grrrrr -
Women who insist on throwing themselves into drops, even if you ARE intending to lead a drop. It's about being lowered, not being thrown.

Greg

David Franklin
28th-October-2003, 07:16 PM
But equally dangerous for the woman to throw herself into a seducer or drop when the man isn't ready. In fact, you could make a strong case that it's more dangerous.

If I lead a drop, I undertake to be responsible for my partner's safety. If she didn't expect it, then yes, I screwed up, but I should be ready to keep things safe anyhow - hopefully by completely aborting the drop. But even if I do the drop anyway, I will have my weight planted, I'm ready to get between her and someone else if necessary etc.

If a lady throws herself into a drop, none of that applies. And the type of lady who throws herself (see Greg's comment) doesn't tend to be responsible for her own weight during a drop. The fact that the men usually do catch them is remarkable.

Perhaps worth pointing out that when you see the good dancers "throw themselves into drops", it's an illusion. The woman is still taking nearly all her weight. Sorry to disillusion any ladies who thought I was really that strong...

Dave

TheTramp
29th-October-2003, 01:59 AM
But for now just time to post another Grrrrr -
Women who insist on throwing themselves into drops, even if you ARE intending to lead a drop. It's about being lowered, not being thrown. Hey Greg. If they want to be on the floor that much, who are we to stand in their way??? :wink:

Steve

Lounge Lizard
29th-October-2003, 10:22 AM
dancers watching the class, joining in half way through, not getting the routine because the missed the beggining and disrupting the class.
People in classes who do a full drop when we teach a dip, it has a ripple effect sometimes with the dancers (hotshots) trying to out-do each other

I agree with Greg with ladies and drops, I used to get this lots and became pretty good at catching the ladies.

Black and white shoes, bright shirts etc.
why not, where does it say anyone has to be a certain standard to wear these clothes - to me it is a statement that they really love the dancing and feel good about themselves so dress accordingly, but this is from someone who wears a 'scarf' (well bandana actually, but more people call it a scarf)

You are right Andy there is another thread here.
p

Pammy
29th-October-2003, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
dancers watching the class, joining in half way through, not getting the routine because the missed the beggining and disrupting the class.

Oh mate, that really bugs me. That happened at Amir's class once when he did the All That Jazz routine and the Wiz and I were so disappointed as he had to keep on recapping as when the class started there were about 10 people, and by the time we were half way through, about 40 odd. It's very annoying for those who actively get there on time and want to learn the whole sh-bang and that night we only got a fraction of what he'd planned on doing at the start as he was recapping all the time :tears:

I am just unlucky when learning that routine. Tried to do it on another occasion and Tony (sorry, Prawny) and I seemed to get the place next to the one couple who insisted on doing it the wrong way round to everyone else, hence there was one move we never got to learn as the other couple were always encroaching on our floor space :tears: :tears: :tears:

Great song though, and really good to learn the routine; I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 11:41 AM
quote:

Maybe the ladies that haven't met Mr Scathe have a different idea of what a Smurf is.

So come on Bardsey, what is it about Smurfs that makes them so attractive?:devil:

..am I one?:blush:

Sorry I was being scathing to men again (only joking, I love men really) but in answer to your question.....dunno, are you blue and sing in a silly voice?:rofl: :rofl:

Andy McGregor
29th-October-2003, 11:48 AM
Sorry I was being scathing to men again (only joking, I love men really) but in answer to your question.....dunno, are you blue and sing in a silly voice?:rofl: :rofl:

I could do blue and a silly voice. What's the incentive?:devil:

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 01:48 PM
I could do blue and a silly voice. What's the incentive?:devil:

You get to dance with me if ever we're at the same event..... come back :rofl: stop running away :rofl:

bigdjiver
29th-October-2003, 08:46 PM
On the rare occassions that I am chatting to a lady, and the rarer ones where she seems to be enjoying it, someone interrupting to ask her to dance.

Jon
31st-October-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
On the rare occassions that I am chatting to a lady, and the rarer ones where she seems to be enjoying it, someone interrupting to ask her to dance.

ditto

Jive Brummie
31st-October-2003, 11:14 PM
Things that make me go grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...................

Inconsiderate dancers who bump into you and don't apologise and instead look at you like you're something they've just trodden in.

People who look as if they want to be somewhere else when you dance with them..... If they feel that strongly that they don't want to dance with you or aren't enjoying the dance then they should have the ball's to say something!!!

Rude people.

People who look down their nose's at you. Impossible not to do in my case... I'm only 5'6" (and 3/4. Don't forget the 3/4").

People doing big airsteps on a freestyle night right next to me and the missus...:mad:

And at a complete tangent to anything dancing........ Eejit's at work who have no spine, can only say "yes sir, three bags full sir", without a thought for anyone else. And the pen pusher who came to work recently and told us all how to do our job's and how we can cut manpower without having ever done the job or even lifting up a tool in his entire life.:devil: :devil: :mad:

Sorry, am off my soapbox now......

This is a great thread... It's like free therapy!!!!

J. xx

Lory
1st-November-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie

This is a great thread... It's like free therapy!!!!

J. xx

OOOH I'm glad I started it now!

COME ON EVERYONE, GET IT ALLLLLL OFF YOUR CHESTS! :rofl:

horsey_dude
1st-November-2003, 11:42 AM
1. Dancing with women inappropriate clothing (long tight dresses, grippy shoes that won't spin)

2. Women who wear overpowering perfume that I can smell from down the end of the row and trigger off an allergic reaction.

3. Women who think "making eye contact" = "Unblinking intense stare" (creepy)

4. Women who walk through their spins and don't even try to spin.

5. Sleazy guy's who scare away nice women dancers.

6. Women who don't support their own weight during dips and hang on to my neck.

7. Music I don't like for 90% of the night.

8. Women who spin out of time and try to do triples or quad spins (A double or single spin fine with me)

9. People banging into me on the dance floor.

Thanks Lory for a great thread.... I feel much better.

2. Men who smell.

3. Loosing my drink.

4. Men who don't make eye contact, they might as well be dancing with themselves

5. Pretzel after Pretzel... ZZZZZZ

6. People who only ever dance by the stage

11.A big GRRRR to my self for not risking double spins, I know I CAN do it but I put up a mental barrier (having said that, I once did a TRIPLE spin with a guy called Seamus. woo hoo, thankyou darling, I will remember that fondly for EVER)

12. Getting cramp in my second toe

13. After doing my hair (which is long) the first move of the eve turns out to involve me reversing out backwards from under the mans armpit, i call it the 'Dragged through the hedge move' lol
(its a sight to be seen)

15. Being dropped without warning from a total stranger, I hate the loud involuntary squeal I do! lol

and lastly

16, Ending a good night with a rubbish dance
:sad: :rolleyes: :what: :rofl: :tears:

bigdjiver
2nd-November-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard

The ladies might be thinking that the guys will lead them through it.

The guys might be thinking that ladies are moving on, and would prefer a partner rather than sit out.

A one-off Grrrrr! (please) bringing a bag with spare shirts only for someone to spill a pint of water into it.

stewart38
3rd-November-2003, 03:41 PM
I don't like teachers 'blaming the class' when 75% of that class can't follow what they are doing

Men who smell, yes men I don't dance with them but at Hammersmith I swear one day I'll spray them with deodorant.

Going to a works xmas do and not one of the 200 ladies present seem to know /have heard of ceroc

Bardsey
3rd-November-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by stewart38

Going to a works xmas do and not one of the 200 ladies present seem to know /have heard of ceroc

Or men! I've found the same problem, but from the other angle to you.
:sad:

bigdjiver
3rd-November-2003, 06:32 PM

And you had not thought to tell any of them about it? Is there a noticeboard where you could post a flyer / programme ?

How are we going to rule the world carrying on like this? :grin:

Boomer
4th-November-2003, 10:24 AM
...and on topic - its Grrr when people complain about films and are shocked when people disagree with them - of course people will have the opposite view - if theres ever a film that everyone loves its only because its practicing some sort of mind control via sound and vision :) Titanic came close i think, ought to be illegal :)

:what: No...no...I agree with Smurfey :tears: I think Smurfey is right :tears: What next...wearing a shirt bought for me by McGregster....:what: :tears: Actually, what Grr's me most is not the shock but how some people will take the difference of opinion personally, as if 'no, I actually enjoyed that film' means 'I think you're a doughnut'...go figure.

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 10:29 AM
I actually enjoyed that film' means 'I think you're a doughnut'...go figure.

No, you're a sprout not a doughnut, well some places are doughnut like :devil:

No mate, you're right some people get all ratty because you don't agree with them and at the end of the day, it would be a very boring world if everyone liked their sausages not cooked cut into two... :wink:

Dory
x

PS Just for the record; Titanic - excellent film, always cry throughout :grin:

Bardsey
4th-November-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Pammy

Strangely enough, Titanic didn't affect me at all, despite everyone warning me it would, cos I can weep at adverts! But "Ghost" now there was a definite weepy.

AND E.T. I was very naughty when I took my kids to see that. My youngest was sitting beside me and when ET was dying, I let out this huge sob..... put my arm round my daughter and said "there, there, darling, don't cry".... doubt if it fooled many people.....:sorry :rofl:

Forte
4th-November-2003, 01:08 PM

Dory
x

...that's coz you is a fish...:grin:

Lory
4th-November-2003, 01:45 PM
Strangely enough, Titanic didn't affect me at all, despite everyone warning me it would, cos I can weep at adverts! But "Ghost" now there was a definite weepy.

AND E.T. I was very naughty when I took my kids to see that. My youngest was sitting beside me and when ET was dying, I let out this huge sob..... put my arm round my daughter and said "there, there, darling, don't cry".... doubt if it fooled many people.....:sorry :rofl: I'm so with you on this one, Titanic didn't do anything for me either but i also loved the other 2 films you mentioned!
Anyone remember 'The Champ', I wore a white dress to it and come home with 2 large black blobs on my chest where my tears stained with mascara had landed, i sobbed out loud! :tears: :tears: :tears:

Graham
5th-November-2003, 11:24 AM
Following a rather tiresome commute, I just wanted to post this:

People who ignore traffic directions to "Use Both Lanes" and "Merge in Turn", preferring instead to impose their own queue management system. This applies both to the HGV driver :angry: who sets up a rolling road block in the second lane, and to the driver :angry: :angry: who, when you get to the merge point, decides that she's not going to let you in "in turn". On the remote chance that she's a forum reader I'd like to apologise to the driver of the blue SUV in front of said stubborn witch, as I was forced to zip ahead and cut in front of her when I wasn't allowed to take my proper turn after her. Sadly the HGV in question didn't sport a "How am I driving?" sticker or I'd have had my rant earlier! :grin:.

Dreadful Scathe
5th-November-2003, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Graham
People who ignore traffic directions to "Use Both Lanes" and "Merge in Turn"

Apparantly theres a country, possibly Holland, where its legally required to "merge in turn" on busy roads. You can get fined for being selfish and doing what they do here ... driving as close to the person in front as you possibly can. Id like to think im a considerate driver though and dont do that, not even in retaliation - 'everyone else does it' is not a valid excuse :).

Speaking of traffic grrrrs. Another annoying thing is crossing a road as a pedestrian and being ignored by drivers. i.e. Indicators are useful to let pedestrians know what you're doing not just other motorists (although some dont want ANYONE to know what theyre doing in advance). Also its illegal* to zoom onto a different road after a junction when a pedestrain is ALREADY CROSSING this road, you gits - beeping and flashing at them doesnt make you in the right :). Theres a road outside my office in Glasgow where this happens all the time.

*or at least the driver will be in the wrong if they hit the pedestrian

Tiggerbabe
5th-November-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Graham
People who ignore traffic directions to "Use Both Lanes"
But Graham "sweetie" - my car's not big enough to use both lanes - I can only use one at a time :wink:

Graham
5th-November-2003, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
But Graham "sweetie" = my car's not big enough to use both lanes - I can only use one at a time :wink: Tempting though it is to make a comment about female drivers and parking spaces, I shall try to exude peace and harmony and see if I can get the quotation marks removed :grin: :innocent:

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2003, 01:41 PM
This 'merge in turn' thing really bugs me. In Worthing we've got quite a few traffic lights that go down to one lane just after you've gone through them. I always make a point of trying to 'merge in turn' or 'zipper' as they say in the USA. But there are some drivers who do that bumper thing mentioned earlier.

A while back I was almost forced off the road by a 'fat cat' in a Range Rover in this situation. But I saw it coming hooted my horn and, as I had the nose of my car (a dusty/muddy Discovery with a scarily dented and rusty bumper) ahead of his I just carried on honking so he knew I was there and pulled across in front of him giving him no choice but to do the right thing. Then, totally out of character, I got stopped the car, got out and explained the Highway code to him through his open drivers window. As I'm only 5'7'' he wasn't scared for a moment but he was quite surprised:wink: . The guys in the cars behind were all laughing and giving me the thumbs up:waycool:

Forte
5th-November-2003, 02:02 PM
. The guys in the cars behind were all laughing and giving me the thumbs up:waycool:

I am not surprised!:eek: Look at what you were wearing! :really: :wink:

Pammy
5th-November-2003, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Forte
I am not surprised!:eek: Look at what you were wearing! :really: :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Bardsey
5th-November-2003, 03:31 PM
I am not surprised!:eek: Look at what you were wearing! :really: :wink:

:rofl: :rofl: Nice reposte there, Jacks!!

Sheepman
5th-November-2003, 03:35 PM
A while back I was almost forced off the road by a 'fat cat' in a Range Rover in this situation. But I saw it coming hooted my horn and, as I had the nose of my car (a dusty/muddy Discovery with a scarily dented and rusty bumper) Another one of the hassles of London life, I've recently been sideswiped on 2 occasions, the other drivers just carrying on as if they didn't notice. Once on the way home from a brilliant night at Hipsters, souring the evening. Even though I got the reg. numbers, the police aren't the slightest bit interested, and with only minor damage, it's not worth involving insurance companies. You just have to fork out and lump it.

There are often cases where I wish I was driving an old Landrover, I'm thinking "go on, just hit me, see if I care." As I slam on the brakes. Strangely this most frequently seems to happen in the Brighton area :confused:

As a pedestrian you have more power (sort of - as long as you're nimble on your feet). When this guy turned into me as I was crossing a sidestreet, my very large brolly "accidentally" swiped his car, he reversed back to tell me "don't be a **** ****" I gave him a lesson in the highway code, but he didn't seem interested.

Greg

Pammy
5th-November-2003, 03:49 PM
Ok, now you've got me started. My biggest moan was once when riding my horse and an idiot with an electric hedge cutter thought it would be a funny idea to come at the horse for a bit of a joke with it. She reared up, slide down the side of the high pavement, I fell off, she fell over and landed on me. Luckily it was in the autumn and the verges were soft and so I was just badly squashed with nothing broken. She then took off full-speed down the road and shot right across a busy dual carridgeway; I didn't know whether to watch or to turn away in horror.

A passer by who saw what happened stopped and drove me to get the horse. They reported the idiot to the police, Dad and I also went down to the police station, but we were told there was nothing they could do.

I've also had all the other idiots who go speeding by the horse, really close/beep the horn, come to a screaching halt behind her etc. The thing is, Sadie can kick off a wing mirror at about fifteen feet if the mood takes her :wink:

Flippin' inconsiderate drivers! GrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR

Forte
5th-November-2003, 04:39 PM

I've also had all the other idiots who go speeding by the horse, really close/beep the horn, come to a screaching halt behind her etc. The thing is, Sadie can kick off a wing mirror at about fifteen feet if the mood takes her :wink:

Flippin' inconsiderate drivers! GrrrrrrrrRRRRRRR

That is outrageous and so irresponsible! Grrr from me , too!

Andy McGregor
5th-November-2003, 05:04 PM
The thing is, Sadie can kick off a wing mirror at about fifteen feet if the mood takes her :wink:

Whereas her owner can only do it from about 12 feet:wink:

But that is in glittery slingbacks:waycool:

Pammy
5th-November-2003, 05:07 PM
But that is in glittery slingbacks:waycool:

You jest Mr M but I actually have a pair of glittery stillettos :blush: distastefully (to the rest of the world) encrusted with gems!

stewart38
5th-November-2003, 05:46 PM
People on push bikes who think red lights are just for cars

That makes me go grrrrrrr or try and run them over in my car or walk in front of them

Dance Demon
5th-November-2003, 06:13 PM
People on push bikes who think red lights are just for cars

That makes me go grrrrrrr or try and run them over in my car or walk in front of them

Ah...now you've opened a right old can 'o worms...

as a car owner, who has to go to the expense of paying £165.00 for road tax, a couple of hundred quid insurance, and if my car is over three years old, thirty odd quid for an M.O.T............it really p****s me off big time that people can put a bike in any old rickety state on the road, and if they cause an accident, or are the cause of damage to someones car, the chances of getting the cost of repairs reimbursed from them is virtually nil. They choose to ignore traffic lights, ride on the pavement if it suits them, dodge in and out of traffic causing everyone else to slow down and swerve....and to cap it all, without contributing financially via road tax, they get thousands spent on creating cycle lanes for their specific use. They also cause untold damage to other peoples property by chaining their bikes to railings and fences without asking permission......Cyclists:reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

While I'm in rant mode, as an HGV driver, it annoys me when, driving down narrow streets, people expect you to get a 30ft truck into a space that is only big enough for a Smart car...so that they don't have to reverse back a few yards...then moan at you coz they're late taking the kids to school in the Jeep with the bullbars that is required for the School run in suburban Britain:(

TheTramp
5th-November-2003, 06:22 PM
Wow. It's such a good job that you're not an intolerant driver Mr. Demon.... :na:

Steve

Dance Demon
5th-November-2003, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Wow. It's such a good job that you're not an intolerant driver Mr. Demon.... :na:

Steve

Only of other drivers Mr Tramp:D

Boomer
5th-November-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
[B]Ah...now you've opened a right old can 'o worms...

as a car owner, who has to go to the expense of paying £165.00 for road tax, a couple of hundred quid insurance, and if my car is over three years old, thirty odd quid for an M.O.T............it really p****s me off big time that people can put a bike in any old rickety state on the road, and if they cause an accident, or are the cause of damage to someones car, the chances of getting the cost of repairs reimbursed from them is virtually nil

Personally speaking (I will only ever talk for myself) I have insurance cover for me and my bike, not only this, but would happily pay an annual charge if in ensured that cycle lanes were properely policed. By this I mean that drivers didn't consider them to be an extra parking option or lane.

They choose to ignore traffic lights, ride on the pavement if it suits them, dodge in and out of traffic causing everyone else to slow down and swerve

Would they be the equivalent of the driver who swerved past both sides of a stationary zebra-crossing, and proceeded to hit me, for about 15 feet and resulted in my nights stay in hospital? No fears, it hasn't happened recently, i was 6 at the time.

Alternatively, would this be the kind of driver who swerves, on an empty A road, on a clear mid-day (this was a HGV for the record) and ran me off the road. Fortunately I managed to mount the pavement, another 2 feet and I would have bounced of the pedestrain railings and gone under his wheels.

....and to cap it all, without contributing financially via road tax, they get thousands spent on creating cycle lanes for their specific use. They also cause untold damage to other peoples property by chaining their bikes to railings and fences without asking permission......Cyclists:reallymad :reallymad :reallymad

Charges I have covered, cycling on the pavement I agree with you on, in most cases.

Things that make me go Grrr, are Sh**ty road users, I have no interest in whether or not they use cycles, cars, taxi-s their feet or HGVs. Grrrr is also when an issue is reduced to pintless simplicity, any issue, reducing the chance of a rational discussion of the topic. No offense intended, so please nobody take any of this personally.

I had to re-word the ending of this :blush: talk about comming across wrong :blush:

Forte
5th-November-2003, 06:37 PM
While I'm in rant mode, as an HGV driver, it annoys me when, :(

hey! let's hear it for the HGV drivers of whom my Dad was one...happy memories of travelling (illegally) with him all over the country when I was a little girl to keep him company! :D

Dance Demon
5th-November-2003, 06:45 PM
Point taken Boomer...all inconsiderate drivers are a Grrr.....
Just wish that some cyclists would make up their minds whether they are road users or pedestrians...It would also help if they all wore light coloured clothing and had lights fitted to their bikes on dark mornings/evenings,then everyone would be able to see them and maybe would be able to give them a bit more space.......:D

Sheepman
5th-November-2003, 06:48 PM
...happy memories of travelling (illegally) with him Wot? Illegally? Were you driving ? :really:

Greg

Boomer
5th-November-2003, 06:54 PM
Point taken Boomer...all inconsiderate drivers are a Grrr.....
Just wish that some cyclists would make up their minds whether they are road users or pedestrians...It would also help if they all wore light coloured clothing and had lights fitted to their bikes on dark mornings/evenings,then everyone would be able to see them and maybe would be able to give them a bit more space.......:D

Absolutely, I wish people would realise that the Highway Code doesn't apply a) To other people but not me, or b) Only to drivers (yes, that is a dig at cyclists, they do my head in as well, mainly coz I'm a good one, and they give me a bad bloody rep. :nice:

Pammy
6th-November-2003, 10:17 AM
Absolutely, I wish people would realise that the Highway Code doesn't .....

Yes, but talking of driving; how can you comment? You are someone who gets scared travelling down Moor Lane at night when there's a full moon. Ahhhhhh bless! :rofl:

Bardsey
6th-November-2003, 01:04 PM

...then moan at you coz they're late taking the kids to school in the Jeep with the bullbars that is required for the School run in suburban Britain:(

Hey, don't hold back, let it all out!!!!

To be honest I agree with all you say.

One of my gripes at the mo is a roundabout on my way to work. They have changed the markings, making one of the lanes a little wider than the rest, but very clearly marked. The amount of times I've almost had accidents in the morning rush-hour with idiots who are clearly so blind they shouldn't be driving, else they would see that they have moved over from their lane and cut me up. I've never been a "hornblower" but I'm getting mighty handy with it these days....:reallymad

Dreadful Scathe
6th-November-2003, 01:20 PM

in the Jeep with the bullbars that is required for the School run in suburban Britain:(

Bullbars are designed to kill animals outright rather than badly injure them so it does make sense that people buy cars with them on it for school runs - its more humane to kill a child outright isnt it ?

hmm

One of my gripes at the mo is a roundabout on my way to work. They have changed the markings, making one of the lanes a little wider than the rest, but very clearly marked. The amount of times I've almost had accidents in the morning rush-hour with idiots who are clearly so blind they shouldn't be driving,

Ive seen that many times, i reckon there should be regular mini driving tests for everyone.

....more stupid drivers:

The cut off for Edinburgh Airport at the end of the M9 has, at the end, a left hand cut off lane to go left and two lanes that go into traffic lights for a huge roundabout. There are clear signs at the lights saying no left turn, but, because the traffic lights are quick change people go there to turn left thus preventing the good drivers in the cut off lane from emerging. Most annoying to say the least.

Also, drivers who completely ignore yellow cross hatch no stopping boxes and end up stopped in the middle of it.

and bus drivers in Glasgow who always try and get through amber lights and end up parked completely across the pedestrian crossing.

CJ
6th-November-2003, 01:22 PM
The yellow square thing gets me, BIG time.:devil:

Rachel
7th-November-2003, 02:59 PM
I'd like to add something here, in the forlorn hope that it might reform at least one person ....

I don't know if it's just me, but I really can't stand anyone chewing gum - often noisily and with their mouth open - when they're dancing with you. Ughh - it makes me shudder, and I'll do anything to avoid dancing with them.

I won't even get started on the driving things! Way way too many gripes, especially as, with work and dancing, I spend 3 or 4 hours a day in the car. Like those people who drive at 50mph everywhere - busy suburban streets as well as dual carriageways and all. And those who sit in the middle lane of the motorway when the inside lane is totally clear. And w..kers who try to cut you up at roundabouts. And .. no, I'm not going to start.

Better go to this team meeting now anyway ...

R.

ChrisA
7th-November-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
I'd like to add something here, in the forlorn hope that it might reform at least one person ....

I don't know if it's just me, but I really can't stand anyone chewing gum - often noisily and with their mouth open - when they're dancing with you. Ughh - it makes me shudder, and I'll do anything to avoid dancing with them.

So guys do it too??? :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

I couldn't agree more :cheers:

... a nice dance with a good dancer, she opens her mouth to breathe, and there it is, a little lump of white gum floating around in there...

Yuk. :(

Chris

Sheepman
7th-November-2003, 04:11 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I really can't stand anyone chewing gum - often noisily and with their mouth open - when they're dancing with you.
Not to keen on that either, but is it preferable to bad breath?

I have to admit on rare occasions I'm guilty of chewing gum, (I blame it on the pickled garlic), but I try not to chew or open my mouth whilst dancing, and it only takes one dance and the risk of swallowing to remind me to get rid of it (in the appropriate manner of course.)

Greg

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 04:15 PM
Not to keen on that either, but is it preferable to bad breath?

Coming from the man who insisted the group all indulged in a garlic-rich meal on our last outing, I think you must confess to having little consideratin when the roles are reversed; you wonder why nobody was dancing with us that night!

Didn't you see the green fog following us around! :what: :wink:

Px

Sheepman
7th-November-2003, 04:28 PM
Coming from the man who insisted the group all indulged in a garlic-rich meal on our last outing, More than a touch of poetic license there I think, (I had no chance to sit down, and no complaints all night, despite not straying out of the blues room.)
Just don't want to give anyone out there the wrong impression do we?

Greg

Pammy
7th-November-2003, 04:31 PM
despite not straying out of the blues room.)

Nice plan, feed me garlic, then send me to sleep :wink:

Px

PS Check your e-mails!

Andy McGregor
7th-November-2003, 05:38 PM
I don't know if it's just me, but I really can't stand anyone chewing gum - often noisily and with their mouth open - when they're dancing with you. Ughh - it makes me shudder, and I'll do anything to avoid dancing with them.R.

And how do they manage to chew with absolutely no reference to the beat. It's just like dancing next to someone who can't hear the beat, it puts you off.

Maybe we should say 'would you like to stop dancing while you get rid of your gum?'. Wouldn't work but might break them out of the trance some gum chewers go into:devil:

Sheepman
7th-November-2003, 05:52 PM
When you lend someone your prized CDs, and they come back with greasy fingermarks all over, and the box cracked or broken.

But even worse when you buy CDs in a shop, and you get the same. (As I did today).

Greg

PS I stop chewing when I'm dancing, 'cos that requires multitasking.

Lory
10th-September-2004, 10:59 AM
In the middle of the night, last night, at 4-20am to be precise, I was woken by a police siren that must have gone on for at least 10minutes, :tears: I think I heard it all the way from Barnet to Finchley Central, after that, I was wide awake! :what: :sick: now can someone tell me why an earth do they need to have the siren going for the whole journey, when there's hardly another car on the road? :angry:

Mrs Grumpy :(

under par
10th-September-2004, 11:13 AM
In the middle of the night, last night, at 4-20am to be precise, I was woken by a police siren that must have gone on for at least 10minutes, :tears: I think I heard it all the way from Barnet to Finchley Central, after that, I was wide awake! :what: :sick: now can someone tell me why an earth do they need to have the siren going for the whole journey, when there's hardly another car on the road? :angry:

Mrs Grumpy :(

Mrs Grumpy, there is NO need to put sirens on when driving on an emergency call.

The sirens are used to draw other road users attention to the fact that the emergency service vehicle is there.

It does not entitle the driver to any privileges lawfully, all drivers must drive safely and drivers are responsible for their actionswhen they breach road traffic law.

So if there are no other road users then the sirens are a wasted noise. This is usually practised by inexperienced or inconsiderate drivers. :angry:

Hey! how do you know it was a police car???? could have been ambulance or fire engine!! :angry: :whistle:

bigdjiver
10th-September-2004, 11:17 AM

Mrs Grumpy :( :devil: Would you want the big bad men with weapons to be there when you arrived? :devil:

Lory
10th-September-2004, 11:19 AM
Hey! how do you know it was a police car???? could have been ambulance or fire engine!! :angry: :whistle:
:yeah: Very True :blush:
A Very tired, not thinking straight, Mrs Grumpy! :o

under par
10th-September-2004, 11:27 AM
:devil: Would you want the big bad men with weapons to be there when you arrived? :devil:

A good reason for police not to use sirens is if there are baddies you want to catch at the scene of the crime as in burglary, but if somebody is being assaulted the sirens my interupt the assaulters beating which could be a positive!!

CJ
10th-September-2004, 12:00 PM
A good reason for police not to use sirens is if there are baddies you want to catch at the scene of the crime as in burglary,

Why on earth would they want to do that?!?!?!!? :eek: Think of the paperwork, for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:

Gadget
10th-September-2004, 12:14 PM
Why on earth would they want to do that?!?!?!!? :eek: Think of the paperwork, for God's sake!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
:D Got a freind who nicked someone stealing van - due to his shifts and the fact that they have to see it from start to finish, the van man earned my freind about £200 in over time :)

under par
10th-September-2004, 12:17 PM
:D Got a freind who nicked someone stealing van - due to his shifts and the fact that they have to see it from start to finish, the van man earned my freind about £200 in over time :)

...and I bet the van wasn't worth more than a hundred!!! :wink:

Sparkles
10th-September-2004, 12:43 PM

I was under the impression that police vehicles, ambulances and fire engines each had a different type of siren... :confused:

under par
10th-September-2004, 12:58 PM
I was under the impression that police vehicles, ambulances and fire engines each had a different type of siren... :confused:

It used to be the case but in this day and age the technology means you can vary your siren.

Most police cars have a little box which has loads of little buttons and you can have a different siren at one end of the road than you do at the other.
:na:

There is a reason for a couple of the variations but after that its just good fun! :clap: :whistle:

Having these variations in all emergency vehicles means it is far more difficult to tell from the siren what vehicle is going to come round the corner.

ToeTrampler
10th-September-2004, 01:12 PM
Having these variations in all emergency vehicles means it is far more difficult to tell from the siren what vehicle is going to come round the corner.

But it does mean that Ice Cream vans can now do their rounds quicker :grin:

Sparkles
10th-September-2004, 01:15 PM
It used to be the case but in this day and age the technology means you can vary your siren.

Most police cars have a little box which has loads of little buttons and you can have a different siren at one end of the road than you do at the other.
:na:

There is a reason for a couple of the variations but after that its just good fun! :clap: :whistle:

Well, you learn something new every day! :worthy: