PDA

View Full Version : Dvorak keyboards

Gadget
4th-June-2008, 12:47 PM
Anyone use one? Just curious how different they are and if they do what they claim to (ie better typing, less typos, less "finger strain"...)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-June-2008, 12:57 PM
Have used one but you would need to get quite familiar with it to be as good with it as you are with a qwerty. Can't see it making much of a difference except to the fastest touch typist - which I am certainly not. :)

Has a cool factor though. :)

Caro
4th-June-2008, 01:02 PM
is that a keyboard that plays the symphony of the new world when you press a key ? How super cool ;)

Dreadful Scathe
4th-June-2008, 01:22 PM
sheesh bloody French people :)

oh Happy Birthday by the way - sorry I missed it.

Caro
4th-June-2008, 01:42 PM
sheesh bloody French people :)

:yum:

oh Happy Birthday by the way - sorry I missed it.

no probs, thank you :nice:

bigdjiver
5th-June-2008, 01:14 AM
Have used one but you would need to get quite familiar with it to be as good with it as you are with a qwerty. Can't see it making much of a difference except to the fastest touch typist - which I am certainly not. :)

Has a cool factor though. :)I have read that the typing speed records date back to the 30's, and were due to the typists using Dvorak or other optimised keyboards.

The QWERTY keyboard was designed to slow down the operator. so that the typewriter keys were less likely to jam. It is also harder on the user. e.g. E is the most common letter in English and is under the weakest finger on the left hand by design. If you are going to do a lot of typing almost all on your own machine it might be worth the learning curve.

johnthehappyguy
29th-August-2008, 07:15 PM
If you are considering it, then do some research.
the US navy did a lot of trials.
As did others, unfortunately the chap in charge of the trials had a vested interest in the outcome, and the results were a bit fixed allegedly. Can't remember the exact details, but it put me off getting one when i investigated a couple of years ago.

Happy typing
John

StokeBloke
29th-August-2008, 08:29 PM
For added lunchtime fun it's always a giggle to set someone's keyboard to Dvorak layout when their back's are turned :devil: Much hilarity ensues.