PDA

View Full Version : Moving to a new city

phazy
4th-June-2008, 07:52 AM
I am moving to a new city - which means of course a new dance scene.

primarily I am quite excited by the prospect of getting to know a whole lot of new people and I will have more time to dance so I am looking forward to it.

I had been blissfully anticipating the move - I am quite pleased with my dancing at the moment and have been getting regular positive feedback - but I have been around in my current scene for 5 years, I dance at several venues and so usually I will dance with known partners for 90% of the night, there is a level of trust and understanding that comes from dancing with known people and I am now wondering how well I will be able to slot into the new scene.

is anyone willing to share their experiences changing scenes?

I have had some experience with breaking into new scenes when I have gone off to do other dance styles but this will be different in that I wont be a complete beginner starting out with the other beginners

Martin
4th-June-2008, 08:17 AM
where are you moving to?

phazy
4th-June-2008, 09:46 AM
moving to Brisbane in 2 weeks - so I will be up in your neck of the woods, will seek you out to introduce myself..

The original post was partly prompted by my perception of the different demographics of the Sydney vs Brisbane MJ scenes but I hoped to hear of other's experiences moving between dance scenes...

Martin
4th-June-2008, 11:35 AM
I am moving to a new city - which means of course a new dance scene.

I am now wondering how well I will be able to slot into the new scene.

I hoped to hear of other's experiences moving between dance scenes...

There are many people who have "travelled" on the forum, so I hope they will spend some time to share with you.

As for me, I started in the South East of England, then also travelled regularly to London, after a while travelled all round the UK either for work or pleasure and danced at a LOT of different places.
Since then danced in France, Australia and New Zealand.

Obviously it is comfortable dancing most of the time with people you are familiar with, you can do more moves and play a lot more, as they know "what you are up to".

The trick moving to a new City, is just to have fun and dance with everyone and anyone, and you will soon find some pleasent supprises. Most people are very friendly and you will soon find a new group of friends.

Styles do vary from place to place, but in all places you are likely to find someone who dances "your style", or who would like to...

There is Gold everywhere :D

As you have danced for 5 years, don't worry, you will be popular. Most girls are actively seeking to dance with a reasonably experienced guy. :cheers:

johnnyman
18th-June-2008, 10:41 AM
I think you will bring some interesting things to the new city and will be welcomed with open arms.

best
johnnyman