PDA

View Full Version : Ballroom dancing in Edinburgh

swing o'the kilt
3rd-June-2008, 06:10 PM
I have a friend (ah, how many posts start this way...) who is interested in ballroom dancing in Edinburgh, and has asked me to utilise my dancing 'connections' to get any feedback on venues, classes or teachers.

So, does anyone have any recommendations for ballroom classes / venues in Edinburgh?

If so, then perhaps will be able to maintain my facade of being well connected and well informed...

drathzel
4th-June-2008, 12:09 AM
tell your "friend" to get himself down to the nearest ceroc class, learn to ceroc and then go on ceroc weekenders and learn the likes of Waltz, rumba etc at those (blaze had loads of ballroomy type dancing)

Two birds, one stone!

CJ
4th-June-2008, 12:17 AM
If U're swinging ur kilt properly, U don't need Ceroc to get two birds...:D

Moving on, there is ballroom on Sundays somewhere in Leith... can't remember where...:blush:

Tiggerbabe
4th-June-2008, 02:16 AM
Moving on, there is ballroom on Sundays somewhere in Leith... can't remember where...:blush:
I'm pretty sure there is ballroom on a Monday and a Thursday in The Thomas Morton Halls, Ferry Road, Leith.

The Passion Harem
4th-June-2008, 07:00 PM
I have gone to two Ballroom teachers in Edinburgh through the years...

Alan Mackay holds classes (partner required) Monday & Tuesdays in the church hall in Upper Gray Street, Edinburgh. He also holds a class every Saturday that was set up a few years ago by MJ's at the Inch Community Centre, no partner required. Used to be 12-2 but that may have changed.

There was also Alan & Norma Miller who held regular Sunday night classes, again partner required. I have not been for a year and the old venue (Marcos) is closed. I will PM you contact number for the Millers.

These teachers hold regular very social dances which are great fun places to practice.

There is the usual Dancebase Classes however I have not gone to these.

Hope this helps.

DavidY
4th-June-2008, 07:10 PM
Can't help you with Edinburgh I'm afraid.

However I thought I'd share the following which I found out last night:

While some of us were at Southport, my ballroom dancing teacher was up the road at a competition in Blackpool.

And apparently: "The Scots won everything":devil:

Paul F
5th-June-2008, 02:26 PM
Can't help you with Edinburgh I'm afraid.

However I thought I'd share the following which I found out last night:

While some of us were at Southport, my ballroom dancing teacher was up the road at a competition in Blackpool.

And apparently: "The Scots won everything":devil:

Did they?? Im guessing they were not talking about the World Champs at the Blackpool Festival.
Unfortunately, and I do mean unfortunately, there is not a very high Scottish contingent in the ballroom and latin pro divisions :-(