PDA

View Full Version : Help! I need a printer

Boomer
24th-October-2003, 04:19 PM
Help! 5 weeks into uni and my printer has just decided to give up the ghost :angry: :angry: Can anybody help? I've a budget of £50 (oh the things I could spend that on:tears: ) It only needs to be semi-decent, with the priority being black and white printing....colour/photi would be handy too though. If you can help in any way, 2nd hand, recommendations etc please get in touch.

Thanks, :cheers:

TheTramp
24th-October-2003, 04:23 PM
http://listings.ebay.co.uk/pool1/plistings/endtoday/all/category3749/index.html?from=R0

There's several printers on that page that have the auctions finishing in the next few hours for under £50.

Steve

Emma
27th-October-2003, 10:48 PM
*I'm* a printer :grin:

...but you probably can't afford me :wink: :cheers:

Tiggerbabe
28th-October-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Emma

nice one Em! :wink: :rofl: :rofl:

Boomer
28th-October-2003, 01:52 PM

Being a man how knows the value of everything but the price of nothing I’m sure you’re more than affordable. :nice:

P.S Fixed the printer - it simply had a whopping great big rubber thing blocking it up :nice:

Thanks anyway Steve.:cheers:

Dave Hancock
28th-October-2003, 02:03 PM

How much do you cost - they do say you have to pay for quality!!

Standard rates and do friends get a discount??

Emma
29th-October-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
How much do you cost - they do say you have to pay for quality!!It's negotiable.....*g*

Standard rates and do friends get a discount?? Anyone would think you are an accountant!! (Yes babe, of *course* friends get a discount).

Emma
29th-October-2003, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Being a man how knows the value of everything but the price of nothing I’m sure you’re more than affordable. :nice:
When I've worked out what that means I'll decide whether or not to be insulted by it .....;)

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 04:43 PM
Fixed the printer - it simply had a whopping great big rubber thing blocking it up What do you use your printer for ???
No don't answer that, we don't want an innocent topic on printers going upstairs.

Greg

Boomer
29th-October-2003, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
What do you use your printer for ???
No don't answer that, we don't want an innocent topic on printers going upstairs.

Greg

Never mind that! You know who gives a damn and who doesn't! :tears: A cry for help, 1 response (cheers TT :cheers: ) and 2 off-topic posts - outrageous! :grin: I announce to the world that I've unpluged the obstruction from the printer ergo I don't need help, and then people start to post! That's lovely that is.

:nice:

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2003, 04:53 PM
I announce to the world that I've unpluged the obstruction from the printer ergo I don't need help,

ergo nothing...belive me you really need help! you seriously need help :D

speaking of printers though - i just got an epson cx3200 for £87 from dabs.com - printer, scanner and photocopier in one - great deal :)

Boomer
29th-October-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
ergo nothing...belive me you really need help! you seriously need help :D

You see! kick me while I'm down why don't you :sad:

speaking of printers though - i just got an epson cx3200 for £87 from dabs.com - printer, scanner and photocopier in one - great deal :)

What's the upkeep like re: cheap cartridges and ink wastage ect? Anygood for B&W ppm and is the scanner any good for photo negs...and/or photos full-stop. I could look for a review, but I prefer personal opinions....go on kick me :grin:

Grant
29th-October-2003, 05:12 PM
go on kick me :grin:
why? :what:
we are just happy that you have cleared your obstruction :D

grant

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 05:13 PM
ergo I don't need help, and then people start to post! You know you shouldn't time your problems to coincide with a dance w/e (ie practically every w/e)

For cartridges this outfit are great:- http://www.printcartridge.net/

IMHO the combo printer/scanner/copiers won't ever be as good as separates. (I will also try never to buy another Epson printer), I'm sure it would struggle with photo negs, even if it has this facility.

Dreadful Scathe
29th-October-2003, 05:15 PM
what's the upkeep like re: cheap cartridges and ink wastage ect? Anygood for B&W ppm and is the scanner any good for photo negs...and/or photos full-stop. I could look for a review, but I prefer personal opinions....go on kick me :grin:

I had it recommended by a friend as hes used it for months A LOT, great prints, incredibly fast and £7 a cartridge. I also like the fact that you stick in something you want to photocopy,press a button and it spits it out 2 seconds later (that was black and white mind you :)) not used it much myself apart from that - my computer room is in a 'transition' stage at the moment. :)

Boomer
9th-December-2003, 10:34 AM
Have noticed a few posts mentioning a need for scanners/printers etc so thought I’d offer some advice. If anybody is after a scanner for Yuletide I can heartily recommend Packard Bell’s ‘Diamond 2400’, an absolute doddle to set up , excellent quality scans and isn’t a resource monster – what’s more, it’s only £35 from PcWorld :grin:

If you want a printer, go for the Canon I560, goes for £110-£150 on the net so hunt around (but don’t bother buying from Maplins online, bloody nightmare :angry: ). The Canon is fast, excellent quality photo prints (not bad for a 3 colour +black printer), and even the ‘Draft’ setting produces good quality prints. Cartridges are dirt cheap, about £6 odd from the like of selectafont, so running cost are low and she’s a tiny, quiet, little thing that folds away to nothing.

Paul F
9th-December-2003, 02:03 PM
......speaking of printers though - i just got an epson cx3200 for £87 from dabs.com - printer, scanner and photocopier in one - great deal :)

Definatley agree. I went to argos to buy the cx3200, paid £99 for it and they brought me the cx5200!! bonus!

I think the cx5200 goes for about £130 on some sites but (like the cx3200) its fantastic. The quality of text and photos are exceptional, it has 4 seperate ink cells so you dont have to replace them all when one goes!! (plus you can get compatibles) . It has a fantastic scanner (5200x1200 i think) and it also acts as a copier which you can do without having your pc on. Well worth it.

thewacko
9th-December-2003, 04:48 PM
P.S Fixed the printer - it simply had a whopping great big rubber thing blocking it up

:really: oh my what have you done to our emma:devil:

Sheepman
9th-December-2003, 04:50 PM
No axe to grind on this, just a satisfied customer, I get nearly all my hardware from www.novatech.co.uk, not always the cheapest, but quite often they are (despite never appearing on Kelkoo etc.) and the service is brilliant. I have had a long wait once, when oprdering an item which was shown as out of stock, but I think this was an exception.

Greg

psyc0diver
9th-December-2003, 05:07 PM
Having worked with printers & plotters for many years (more than I will admit to here) I have found HP kit (in general) worth the investment. Their stuff just keeps working for ever with few problems, though they aren't the cheapest, but neither are they the most expensive

xSalsa_Angelx
9th-December-2003, 05:31 PM
I have a Scanner and Printer for sale, both to good home for £100

PM me if anyone wants more details.!!

XsaX

Dreadful Scathe
9th-December-2003, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
I have a Scanner and Printer for sale, both to good home for £100

I think perhaps that is a little vague :) Is it a dot-matrix printer and a hand scanner ? I used to have them :)

xSalsa_Angelx
10th-December-2003, 09:20 AM
I think perhaps that is a little vague :) Is it a dot-matrix printer and a hand scanner ? I used to have them :)

You are so pedantic, taking traits off graham now???
:rofl:

Its a Mustek Desktop Scanner and a Bubblejet printer (colour & B/W)

Does that help??

XsaX