PDA

View Full Version : Then & Now

Lounge Lizard
24th-October-2003, 11:20 AM
I seem to remember that as a kid there was a character in a comic that could turn invisible whenever he got an electric shock, so every week our hero would stick his fingers in the nearest source of live electricity, socket, light pendant etc.

Can you imagine this being published in a kids comic nowadays :what: (or perhaps stuff like this is - I don't get to read many comics)
Are there other examples of ANYTHING that was ok then and now is real taboo:cheers:

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 03:50 PM
Are there other examples of ANYTHING that was ok then and now is real taboo:cheers:
I know this is a bit long winded, but its really good (and oh so true!)

According to today's regulators and bureaucrats, those of us who were kids in the 50's, 60's, and 70's probably shouldn't have survived.

Our baby cots were covered with brightly coloured lead-based paint which was promptly chewed and licked.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, or latches on doors or cabinets and it was fine to play with pans.

When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags. Riding in the passenger seat was a treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle – tasted the same.

We ate dripping sandwiches, bread and butter pudding and drank fizzy pop with sugar in it, but we were never overweight because we were always outside playing.

We shared one drink with four friends, from one bottle or can and no one actually died from this.

We would spend hours building go-carts out of scraps and then went top speed down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into stinging nettles a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before it got dark. No one was able to reach us all day and no-one minded.

We did not have Playstations or X-Boxes, no video games at all. No 99 channels on TV, no videotape movies, no surround sound, no mobile phones, no personal computers, no Internet chat rooms. We had friends we went outside and found them.

We played elastics and street rounders, and sometimes that ball really hurt.

We fell out of trees, got cut and broke bones and teeth, and there were no lawsuits. They were accidents. We learnt not to do the same thing again. We had fights, punched each other hard and got black and blue – we learned to get over it.

We walked to friend's homes.

We made up games with sticks and tennis balls and ate live stuff, and although we were told it would happen, we never did knock very many eyes out, nor did the live stuff live inside us forever. We rode bikes in packs of 7 and wore our coats by only the hood.

Our actions were our own. Consequences were expected.

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers and problem solvers and inventors, ever. The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

We had the luck to grow up as real kids, before lawyers and government regulated our lives, for our own good.

Lory
24th-October-2003, 04:04 PM
I have my own taboo story.. My Nan used to make me and my brother eat 'butter balls', these consisted of a hard ball of butter rolled in sugar, she informed us it would grease our chests? (what the hell for?) and just imagine, we actually used to like them, I feel sick at the mere thought now! :eek:

Boomer
24th-October-2003, 04:12 PM
Bardsey, that is one of the best posts I think I have read:nice: My god! 'Clackers' 'coats worn by the hood' :rofl: :cheers: i'm not one for nostalgia, bit even I've gone a bit misty-eyed and distant. Ultimately yep, then we had freedom and (in our own way) responsibility, now....

Cheers B.

TheTramp
24th-October-2003, 04:16 PM
Great post Bardsey. And so true....

Though, I remember all that, and it's only 20 years ago, and it's all true (except for the bit about eating live things!). Just imagine what it's going to be like in 20 years time!! :D (Or should that be :tears: ?)

Steve

Dance Demon
24th-October-2003, 05:15 PM
Great post Bardsey.......did all those things, and wouldn't swap the experience for all the computer games in the world. Another thing that we did in those days was show respect, not just to our elders, or the law , or teachers, but for other peoples belongings and property. Youngsters nowadays get off with murder, because theres no deterent for their misdeeds. I'm glad I was raised in the days wher respect was the norm.............

Boomer
24th-October-2003, 06:59 PM
LL, sorry for sliding off topic but blame Bardsey and her ‘coats and hoods’:grin: . Was re-reading thread and was swamped by the image of my old green parka, with the fake-fur trim around the hood , the orange lining (Doc would have loved it), and the inside pocket that never lasted 2 weeks before your grubby hand would poke a whole through it:nice: . Also, how whenever you wanted a tuppeny-bit chewy you’d hunt through the whole, around the bottom of the coat in the feverish hope that the coin that was never there would suddenly appear:sad: :grin: .

It’s not taboo, but something you could do then but not today – eat a ‘Texan’ choccy bar.
:yum:

Jon L
25th-October-2003, 12:24 PM
The sad thing is that the Politically Correct brigade seem to want to change everything.

I remember a clip when I was about 6 I guess (I saw it again in passing one morning a couple of years ago purely when flicking through the channels) from Ivor the Engine with the Elephant and the raja with his indian accent. Nowadays that might be deemed racist.

"The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke a law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law. Imagine that!"

Yep - I agree if I got into trouble like that - I'd be grounded and might well end up with a smack bottom - it didn't do me any harm

Forte
25th-October-2003, 12:29 PM
My favourite thing then was my spacehopper...nothing politically incorrect about that surely...but there is about the Golliwog I used to have!! (remember the sign on Robinson's Jam..? That had to go!) :really:
And the Black and White Minstrels show on telly:sorry

Emma
25th-October-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
When we rode our bikes, we wore no helmets, just flip flops and fluorescent 'clackers' on our wheels. You had clackers??! I had a peg and a bit of cardboard! :wink:

Oh..and I'm up for a butter ball if anyone has one going begging :waycool:

Daphne
26th-October-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Forte
My favourite thing then was my spacehopper...nothing politically incorrect about that surely...

Depends what you did with it:confused:

Fran
26th-October-2003, 05:40 PM
My favourite thing then was my spacehopper...nothing politically incorrect about that surely...but there is about the

I loved my space hopper too!!!:nice: and I would really really love and adult size one. I could never quite master the pogo stick, but used to like playiong with the 2 tin cans which had strings attached and you walked on them. oh they were the days .....

I am always disapointed to hear my pupils say that tbey have never played with lego or any other construction games they play more with electronic games. as a design technology teacher I can see that there is a distinct lack of problem sloving skills in many young people today. :sad: :sad:

we used to have bread and sugar sandwiches - they were yummy:yum: :yum:

enjoyed reading everyones remenises.

love fran:nice:

Fran
26th-October-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Fran
I loved I can see that there is a distinct lack of problem sloving skills in many young people today. :sad: :sad:

love fran:nice:

urghhh - that statement made me sound so old and a fuddy duddy:what: didnt mean it that way. the pupils have lots of really great qualities as well.

fran :nice:

Tiggerbabe
26th-October-2003, 10:41 PM

we used to have bread and sugar sandwiches - they were yummy:yum: :yum:

Yeah, me too Fran - fantastic!!!!

Mum used to darn the holes in the knees of my 500 denier, green wooly tights (always with a totally different colour of green though for some reason :confused: ) - nowadays they'd be thrown out (thank goodness!!!!!)
One for Mr McGregor - when I got my first Saturday job in a sweetie shop we sold single cigarettes and books of matches :sorry
And also it had a penny tray - totally hygenic (not) with all the children raking through it for their choice :sick:

Not taboo but it started me thinking.................

We used to play "elastics" in the playground.
Had roller skates that you strapped onto the bottom of your shoes.
And a dansette record player that would play 6 in a row if you were being lazy and stacked them one on top of the other.:really:

Forte
27th-October-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
We used to play "elastics" in the playground.
Had roller skates that you strapped onto the bottom of your shoes.
And a dansette record player that would play 6 in a row if you were being lazy and stacked them one on top of the other.:really:

Did you swop scraps?!! The ones with the big Angels on Clouds...

Lou
27th-October-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Emma
You had clackers??! I had a peg and a bit of cardboard! :wink: Me too! Of course, these days the peg and the cardboard would be expected to be colour co-ordinated with the bike.... :wink:

Elastics.... did anyone else do the rhyme "England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Inside, Outside, Inside, On!"?

Lory
27th-October-2003, 01:09 PM
I've just remebered a Taboo thing

Eenie meany miney mo
catch a nigger by his toe
if he hollers, let him go
Eenie meany miney mo

I doubt kids use this one to choose anything nowaday's

Dance Demon
27th-October-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Sheena

Yep...had one of them....it was grey with a red lid. and it played 78s.........In my pre school days before I could read, I knew all the records by the colour of the label and could play any of them on request( the start of a budding DJ career:D )..unfortunateley I did manage to sit on and break a few as well...including a copy of the original Rock around The Clock by Bill haley & the Comets...which would be worth a bob or two now........Oh theres another thing we had...real money...£. s. d....................:)

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I'm glad I was raised in the days wher respect was the norm............. [/B]

Yes, me too. Thanks also to Lory, Boomer and Steve. Glad you enjoyed the post.

There's "nowt like a bit o' nostalgia" to send you reeling back 20 years with a fair bit of yearning for the "good old days" :D

Oh God, I remember those butter balls too.......... YUK!!! But it just goes to show that in those days, they might have thought it did your chest good, but no thought was given to the pounds it put on our hips (and other places) in later life.....:rofl:

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Fran
but used to like playiong with the 2 tin cans which had strings attached and you walked on them. oh they were the days .....

We used to attach string to 2 cans but use them as walky talkies! Anyone else do that, or was I just a strange child :rofl:

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 01:25 PM
but used to like playiong with the 2 tin cans which had strings attached and you walked on them. oh they were the days .....

We used to attach string to 2 cans but use them as walky talkies! Anyone else do that, or was I just a strange child :rofl:

Fran, Sorry I'm so thick. I realised after I sent the above that you DID mean talk on them.. :blush:

Emma
27th-October-2003, 01:55 PM
Fran, Sorry I'm so thick. I realised after I sent the above that you DID mean talk on them.. :blush: Noo...I remember *walking* on them. Sort of 'junior stilts'.

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 03:07 PM
Noo...I remember *walking* on them. Sort of 'junior stilts'.

Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!! :rofl:

Bill
27th-October-2003, 03:09 PM
Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!! :rofl:

Sorry but we were so poor we couldn't afford tin cans. We used to dream of tin cans............................ :D and string ???? You mean real string..........luxury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :na:

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Sorry but we were so poor we couldn't afford tin cans. We used to dream of tin cans............................ :D and string ???? You mean real string..........luxury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :na:

Well we did used to scour the dustbins for them...... you know....dustbins, rich people put their rubbish in them, as opposed to us poor white trash, who used to just dump it in the street :rofl:

TheTramp
27th-October-2003, 03:17 PM
Sorry but we were so poor we couldn't afford tin cans. We used to dream of tin cans............................ :D and string ???? You mean real string..........luxury !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :na: C'mon Bill....

We all know that things you liked to do in your youth that you can't do now, include things like hunting dinosaurs, inventing the wheel and fire etc..... :rolleyes:

Steve

Bill
27th-October-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
C'mon Bill....

We all know that things you liked to do in your youth that you can't do now, include things like hunting dinosaurs, inventing the wheel and fire etc..... :rolleyes:

Steve

Dinosaurs were too scared to venture into my neighbourhood :wink: ......................and wheels........ that was a luxury. And fire.... for wimps. You don't need fire in the NE of Scotland. I was tough at 5 and I'm still pretty tough for a five year old :na:

TheTramp
27th-October-2003, 03:50 PM
I was tough at 5 and I'm still pretty tough for a five year old :na: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Steve

Pammy
27th-October-2003, 05:05 PM

Not cans, but plastic cups with a length of string: yes :blush:

What about those folded paper things that you used to put on your fingers and go "Pick a colour, pick a number" and after a lot of flicking of the thing this way and that, you'd get some sort of thing read out from the inside like "you fancy Bobby Dirty Pants" or something.... ....

Px

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Pammy

Px

Plastic Cups????? Had they been invented????? I was obviously poorer than I thought.... and you too, Bill..... now plastic cups WOULD have been a luxury :rofl:

Thanks though, Pammy, at least I know I wasn't the only one (plus my brother of whoever on the other end) standing in the street, talking into, in my case, a tin can and in yours, a plastic cup. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Imagine it, standing there in the street yelling into a tin can.....you'd be straight to the child psychologist these days (there you are, there's another for the list).

Bardsey
27th-October-2003, 05:15 PM

What about those folded paper things that you used to put on your fingers and go "Pick a colour, pick a number" and after a lot of flicking of the thing this way and that, you'd get some sort of thing read out from the inside like "you fancy Bobby Dirty Pants" or something.... ....

Px

Sorry Pammy, missed that bit. Yes I remember doing that, funny thing was, we half believed it was true, didn't we? Actually the kids still do them. I had one done on me the other week and apparently I'm going to marry Robbie Williams.......so there :na: :drool:

Pammy
27th-October-2003, 05:16 PM
Sorry Pammy, missed that bit. Yes I remember doing that, funny thing was, we half believed it was true, didn't we? Actually the kids still do them. I had one done on me the other week and apparently I'm going to marry Robbie Williams.......so there :na: :drool:

Bugger; I'd always get someone like Jeremy Beadle :tears: :wink:

Lounge Lizard
28th-October-2003, 12:57 AM
Bardsy you are a star, what a great posting
dont forget the tv programmes of old - from muffin the mule to tiswas.
:wink:

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 12:11 PM
Let's not forget cutting up all the cereal boxes and toilet rolls to make the "thing" that Blue Peter were featuring that week....

Marbles, from the pee-wee, through to the god-size, from milky ways, galaxies, milkies, crystals, snowies, spaghettis (my favourite!) to dragons...

Ra-Ra skirts; I did a cartwheel and mine ripped all the way up the back!

Leg warmers and those gloves that had little faces on the ends of the fingers...

Rubbers and pencils that smelled of food; I had a swiss roll rubber that would definitely have been banned these days as it smelt of chocolate. Unsharpened pencils, double-sided pencil cases and collectible stickers.

Oh, and home fireworks were always disappointing. No matter what the box said, it was always one of those that went up, made a naff *pop* and chucked out a bit of glitter and that was it!

I always wanted to get one of my drawings on Tony's Harts Gallery at the end of Hartbeat... :tears:

Let's not forget, the saddest film of all time, no, not Bambi (although I did cry in that too), but Watership Down :tears: :tears: :tears: *Brighteyes, burning like fire* :tears: :tears:

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Bardsy you are a star, what a great posting
dont forget the tv programmes of old - from muffin the mule to tiswas.
:wink:

Thank you and thanks for starting the post in the first place. I've had great fun reading everyone's replies.

My God, Muffin the Mule! I have a photo of myself with him.....now stop laughing I was only 4 years old!!!!

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 12:43 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pammy

Rubbers and pencils that smelled of food; I had a swiss roll rubber that would definitely have been banned these days as it smelt of chocolate. Unsharpened pencils, double-sided pencil cases and collectible stickers.

Okay now I have to know....where can I get one of those that smell of chocolate.... might stem my craving for the damn stuff!

Oh, and home fireworks were always disappointing. No matter what the box said, it was always one of those that went up and chucked out a bit of glitter and that was it!

Another thing about fireworks, how we used to go to the bonfire site the next day, find all the used fireworks and scoop out any remaining powder, put it in a tin then throw in a lighted match and see how big a bang we could make. DEFINITELY not allowed these days. It's a wonder some of us made it to adulthood when you think of the stupid things we did..... but we're still here!!!

:devil:

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2003, 12:57 PM
I always wanted to get one of my drawings on Tony's Harts Gallery at the end of Hartbeat... :tears:

Hartbeat ? Nick Berry cant draw can he? You mean Take Hart or its predecessor Vision On - i remember them :)

What i remember most about TV was the fact that it went off - TV programs are on 24 hours a day now...sad really. No more colour test signals, teletext rotations, pictures of the girl in front of the noughts and crosses blackboard with that weird muppet. Anyone remember that on ITV if they needed a filler between programs they would play a music video - used to happen quite a lot.

An annoying thing is that there was always complaints of 'the same old repeats' on TV when i was growing up. Then video recorders came out and there was even less excuse for repeated programs - and yet now...cable/sat channels seem to have a policy of repeats in the same week...and a cycle every few months/years too...wheres the logic ? :) We have to pay a licence fee PLUS cable/sat channel fees while they pad their schedule with the same programs over and over and over.

:)

Also Directory Enquiries - anyone used it recently - first you have to get a valid number 118 something then you wait for them to intoduce themselves robotically and listen to ringing whilst they fail to find an operator. Took me 3 attempts to find a number last time. Who decided 192 was a monopoly that needed splitting up? Stupidest idea ever. If it aint broke, dont fix it. No one benefits except some shareholders.

right ...that'll do for now :)

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 01:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe

Also Directory Enquiries - anyone used it recently - first you have to get a valid number 118 something then you wait for them to intoduce themselves robotically and listen to ringing whilst they fail to find an operator. Took me 3 attempts to find a number last time. Who decided 192 was a monopoly that needed splitting up? Stupidest idea ever. If it aint broke, dont fix it. No one benefits except some shareholders.

I agree with you completely on this one. Worse thing they ever did, splitting it up. I can't ever remember the 118 numbers and when I eventually do get through, I have someone who I think is sitting at a switchboard in India trying to find me a number in Wetherby :confused: :confused:

Ian W
28th-October-2003, 01:16 PM
The following is a free alternative to the 118 numbers:

www.ukphonebook.co.uk

Of course, its only useful if you are sitting in front of your computer at the time ;-)

Ian

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Hartbeat ? Nick Berry cant draw can he? You mean Take Hart or its predecessor Vision On - i remember them :)

It came after Take Hart; I distinctly remember the music..

Hart BEAT Beat beat .. beat.. beat.. beat.. repeating........ :grin:

TheTramp
28th-October-2003, 01:21 PM
I know that it was called Take Hart, after Tony Hart. But surely Heartbeat wasn't named after him too???

Steve

(Standing in for Heather)

Bardsey
28th-October-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Ian W
The following is a free alternative to the 118 numbers:

www.ukphonebook.co.uk

Of course, its only useful if you are sitting in front of your computer at the time ;-)

Ian

Ian that is brilliant! Thanks for that, I just used it and it works a treat!:cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
28th-October-2003, 01:28 PM
It came after Take Hart; I distinctly remember the music..

Hart BEAT Beat beat .. beat.. beat.. beat.. repeating........ :grin:

That rang memory bells that did so i looked it up...and its true :)

go here (http://www.culttv.net/index.php?cm_id=77&cm_type=article)

Boomer
28th-October-2003, 01:30 PM
That rang memory bells that did so i looked it up...and its true :)

go here (http://www.culttv.net/index.php?cm_id=77&cm_type=article)

Lesson no:1 grasshoppers...never question that lady's memory:what:

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 01:42 PM
Ahhh, Morph in his little artbox with his friend Chad. Those were the days before Wallace & Gromit his the masses! :grin:

And as for my memory, I've gone blank :what:

Px :wink:

PS: senior citizens were gainfully employed to sort through the 6,000 to 8,000 letters that arrived each week and thanks DS this answers the question as to why I never got on the gallery :tears:

Fran
28th-October-2003, 11:26 PM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Noo...I remember *walking* on them. Sort of 'junior stilts'.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!!

Urmm........ actually Jill we did walk on the tin cans.
We used to use the paper cups as walkie talkies!!! and while teaching a class on technology a few years ago we made them as well.

Px

Good news girls - the paper foldy things are still on the go!! my 7 year old daughter is currently going through a phase of making them all the time!! yesterday I ended up with the " big bum" one. which caused her great humour!!:what:

loved the reminders about blue peter and Take heart. I used to dream about having one of my pictures up in the "gallery". I did draw a few, but my brothers and sisters were rather critical:tears: :tears: - they scarred me for life!!!!

childhood sweets.
I lived in Germany when i was younger and remember that at one point in britain there was a sweet called "space dust" which we could not buy there. It was like gold dust - every time some one visited the U.k they would bring back supplies and would be very popular!

Childrens TV.
The first British TV show we saw in our district was "Mork and Mindy" and we were quite excited!! there was no satilite TV then and it was British Forces Broadcasting Sataion ( the programes were flown over fro the U.K - we used to get the news 2 days later.) ahh they were the days:cheers: Mind you there were big avantages to not having TV. we learnt to play and socialise with other children - did any one used to play "kick the can"?

fran
:nice:

Dance Demon
29th-October-2003, 12:02 AM

childhood sweets.
I lived in Germany when i was younger and remember that at one point in britain there was a sweet called "space dust" which we could not buy there. It was like gold dust - every time some one visited the U.k they would bring back supplies and would be very popular!

Anyone remember a choccy bar called Mint Cracknel?... It was in a green wrapper with a little cardboard tray inside. Two sqares of crunchy mint cracknel covered in chocolate:drool: :yum:
And Fry's five centre...like a Fry's cream only it had five different flavours of fondant inside. the lime one was yummy:drool: :drool:

Pammy
29th-October-2003, 10:20 AM
yesterday I ended up with the " big bum" one. which caused her great humour!!:what:

:rofl: :rofl: Ahh, bless! :grin:

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 11:25 AM
[B]quote:

did any one used to play "kick the can"?

Yes, where I grew up there was a large roundabout in front of our houses, which we called "the island" and we used to play kick the can on there.

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Anyone remember a choccy bar called Mint Cracknel?... It was in a green wrapper with a little cardboard tray inside. Two sqares of crunchy mint cracknel covered in chocolate:drool: :yum:
And Fry's five centre...like a Fry's cream only it had five different flavours of fondant inside. the lime one was yummy:drool: :drool:

Yes I remember Mint Cracknel and Fry's Five Centre was one of my favourites....mmm I liked the green one!

Ian W
29th-October-2003, 01:35 PM

did any one used to play "kick the can"?

I remember that! We used to play at the local yacht club. All those boats made for great hiding places.

It was also a great place to 'skim' stones. It was very competitive to see who could get the most skips. Stone selection was the trick, of course.

Ian

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 03:41 PM
Another thing about fireworks, how we used to go to the bonfire site the next day, find all the used fireworks and scoop out any remaining powder, put it in a tin then throw in a lighted match and see how big a bang we could make. DEFINITELY not allowed these days. It's a wonder some of us made it to adulthood when you think of the stupid things we did..... but we're still here!!!

We had some amazing bonfire parties when I was a kid, friends of the whole family getting singed by the 20ft high bonfire. The neighbours running up and down screaming "PUT THAT OUT!" Fireworks going off all around you (though luckily no one ever got seriously injured), this was in the days when bangers did what they said on the box, especially when let off in a giant (empty) steel water butt. The rockets went "phut" and that was it, but it was all much more alive (and dangerous) than your public displays.

Apart from setting the house on fire, the most stupid thing I must have done was (carefully) dismantling some very ancient live shells, and making rockets from the cordite, boy did they go!

But I'm a bit confused about Pammy's and Boomer's remeniscences, surely you're too young for all of this?

Greg

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 03:48 PM
Oh you're right! I'd forgotten about doing that too! But does anyone remember trying to use them as walky talkies???? Come on guys, help me out here, I wasn't so odd!!!!
No Fran, it wasn't just you, I don't remember being allowed to punch the holes in the cans though. And I always wanted to have the real walkie talkies (but never got them) somehow much more fun than mobiles.

Greg

Lory
29th-October-2003, 03:49 PM
Yes I remember Mint Cracknel and Fry's Five Centre was one of my favourites....mmm I liked the green one! Black Jacks.. 4 for 1p. you ended up with black tongue..:what:
and sherbert dips..yukk, who the hell ever liked them?

Pammy
29th-October-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
But I'm a bit confused about Pammy's and Boomer's remeniscences, surely you're too young for all of this?

Hey, watch your tongue (s) Sheepy; we indeed were all nasty, screaming 7 years olds once upon a time. Just because you all know we've been soinspecing, there's not need to pick on us! :wink:

Anyway, I bet I win hands down with the *father who tried the hardest to embarass you* theme :blush: :tears:

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 04:02 PM

Greg

That's probably cos the above quote was posted by me and although I don't know how old Pammy and Boomer are, going by what you say, they're obviously younger than me!!!

Do you remember the Jumping Jacks? We always had great fun with them.

Where I was brought up we had a piece of land surounded on all sides with houses and all the neighbours used to get together on bonfire night and each bring something to put on the tressle table we set up, pies, mushy peas, toffee, drinks etc. It was very much a community in those days. My dad used to help guard the "chumps" too. We had word of a raid once and he set up a spotlight in the tree, when the gang came into the "piece" as we called it, he turned on the light and my mum and some other women came out with buckets of water and chucked it all over the raiders. :rofl: :rofl: Oh take me back, we had much more fun in those days!

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Black Jacks.. 4 for 1p. you ended up with black tongue..:what:
4 for 1d! I think this illustrates my point Pammy!
Sherbert dips - yummy, perhaps they reminded you of butter balls?

Greg

Bardsey
29th-October-2003, 04:08 PM

Urmmmm sorry, me for one. Also "Kailey" (don't know how to spell it) especially Rainbow Crystals with the proper hard liquorice, which we also used to make liquorice water out of. Funnily enough, you can still get both, and I do! I guess I'll never grow up!!:rofl:

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 06:05 PM
That's probably cos the above quote was posted by me and although I don't know how old Pammy and Boomer are, going by what you say, they're obviously younger than me!!!

Do you remember the Jumping Jacks? We always had great fun with them.
Ah, I must be getting confused, but that happens with age!

Yes the Jumpin' Jacks were great, def non PC nowadays, I wonder how many people they killed/injured?

Greg

Pammy
29th-October-2003, 06:07 PM
I'm 18, and he's 21, right Boo's *cough* :blush:

Pammy
30th-October-2003, 11:07 AM
On the radio this morning, they were doing a reminissing section and one thing that came up was the Frog Song;

anyone remember that one, it went.

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
etc. etc.

:rofl:

Dreadful Scathe
30th-October-2003, 01:56 PM
On the radio this morning, they were doing a reminissing section and one thing that came up was the Frog Song;

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
etc. etc.

Yeah the Paul McArtney song with rupert bear in the video (he stumbles across some frogs who start singing).
Saw it at the cinema as well as TV, funny video - was a short film before Paul McArtneys 'Give my regards to Broad Street' - yes i was young - i paid to see that film :)

Bardsey
30th-October-2003, 02:33 PM
Yes the Jumpin' Jacks were great, def non PC nowadays, I wonder how many people they killed/injured?

Greg

Dunno, but I do remember my grandmother chasing me with a broom for setting one off near the chairs where the "Old Lasses" were seated on the perifery of the bonfire, making them jump almost as much as the fireworks. Brings tears of mirth to my eyes just remembering it. :rofl: :rofl:

Bardsey
30th-October-2003, 02:36 PM

Bom, Bom, Bom IeeeeeI
etc. etc.

Sorry Pammy, didn't quite catch that, how's it go again??? :rofl:

Sheepman
30th-October-2003, 03:51 PM
making them jump almost as much as the fireworks.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
(You :devil: )

And Pammy, if you ever request the Frog Song at a dance, I won't be responsible for my actions.

There could be a new thread here, "the worst song that a megastar has produced." There again Sir Paul has quite pile of doodoo in his catalogue.

Greg

Chicklet
30th-October-2003, 04:46 PM
childhood sweets.

Fran, go and buy some Rice Krispies from a garage or a wee shop that doesn't roatate it's stock :sorry I got space dust in a pack from the Esso but the date on the Krispies is just about by.:D

Pammy
30th-October-2003, 05:01 PM
I remember getting one of those curling brushes (very early designs of the now sophisticated styling tool). You wrapped your hair round it, turned it on, fried your hair then found your hair wouldn't come out of the brush and you'd be panicking running round the house with the tong singeing your hair screaming "Mum get it out get it out :sob:" and the only way was to either cut or tear most of your hair out and then you ended up with kind of frizzy, fuzzy, heat damaged hair as the end result (not how it looked on the box) while the rest of the family rolled around in fits of laughter at the results.

They should've just been called "amusement for the rest of the family" tongs... :blush:

I also had a really nasty perm when I was about 12; one of mums friends did it. I came home crying my eyes out in the back of the car and I tried to brush it all out when I got back; only thing was, it only brushed out on one side :tears: :tears: :tears:

Those were the good old days!

Bardsey
30th-October-2003, 05:26 PM
[B]I remember getting one of those curling brushes

When I was 17 or 18, I had blond hair down to about the middle of my back and I used to get my mum to lay it on the ironing table, cover it with brown paper and iron it straight. Ironing it made your hair very straight and very shiny.

Anyone else do that? :what:

Boomer
30th-October-2003, 05:28 PM

When I was 17 or 18, I had blond hair down to about the middle of my back and I used to get my mum to lay it on the ironing table, cover it with brown paper and iron it straight. Ironing it made your hair very straight and very shiny.

Anyone else do that? :what:

No, I can safely say that I never laid my flowing long blond locks on the ironing table :what: ...::really: ..no, never mind :what:

Bardsey
30th-October-2003, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
No, I can safely say that I never laid my flowing long blond locks on the ironing table :what: ...::really: ..no, never mind :what:

:rofl: :rofl: you little :devil: you!

Fran
30th-October-2003, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Fran, go and buy some Rice Krispies from a garage or a wee shop that doesn't roatate it's stock :sorry I got space dust in a pack from the Esso but the date on the Krispies is just about by.:D

does that mean you can still buy it?? or did you buy a packet of krispies and there was an old packet of space dust in it?

sorry ....its been a long day an dmy brain is having a blonde moment.:what: :what:

..and the kids are currently carving out a pumpkin for tomorrow night - didnt know they were hollow!! I was planning to make pumpkin soup for the first time but theres nothing to make it with!!!! -

as it is a nostaligia thread - anyone else going trick or treating tomorrow. Im going as awitch but I have children as an excuse to tag along. :nice:

fran

Sheepman
30th-October-2003, 07:00 PM
and the only way was to either cut or tear most of your hair out Reminds me of a teenage incident, never chew gum, AND your girlfriend's long blond hair at the same time! :tears:

Greg

Chris
30th-October-2003, 08:16 PM
does that mean you can still buy it?? or did you buy a packet of krispies and there was an old packet of space dust in it?

Yes you can - I found some a wee while ago but can't remember where I bought it! Fab stuff!

ps - hope the kids have a good trick n treat night and the neighbours are generous:nice:

Fran
30th-October-2003, 10:30 PM
Reminds me of a teenage incident, never chew gum, AND your girlfriend's long blond hair at the same time! :tears:

Greg

Oh the romance of the young!!!

slightly younger, does anyone remember playing hide and seek and hiding underneath a bed - the older ones with springs? I used to get into terrible trouble from my mum because my hair used to get tangled up in the springs and she had to cut me out sometimes :sad: :sad: My sister once decided to curl my long hair with rollers and they also came to a messy finish.

fran.

ps I have figured out the pumpkin issue. the kids had great fun scouping out the fruit. no prizes fof guessing who had never opend a pumpkin before!:what: :what:

Fran
30th-October-2003, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Chris

ps - hope the kids have a good trick n treat night and the neighbours are generous:nice:

thanks I'm sure it will be fun.
just put up the halloween decorations so we are all set.

fran
:nice:

Lory
30th-October-2003, 11:19 PM

Anyone else do that? :what: I tried to do the opposite, to a disastrous end, I have very straight hair and wanted it curly so I had the perm from hell, my hair came out in handfuls, I ended up having to have it cut off, my mum couldn't look at me for weeks without shaking her head and tears welling up in her eyes.

Lounge Lizard
31st-October-2003, 11:06 AM
What about clothes - I loved platform soles I got the biggest pair of platforms I could find and instantly became the same height as my mates, Shoes were hidden by big flared trousers all set off with a loud tank top - I really wish I had kept those clothes.
:drool:
p

Dreadful Scathe
31st-October-2003, 11:25 AM
ps I have figured out the pumpkin issue.

Pumpkins? Its Turnip at this time of year surely - although pumpkin is easier to carve, its against tradition :)

Dreadful Scathe
31st-October-2003, 11:40 AM
What about clothes -

indeed. I used to go roller skating in an arena every weekend when i was about 12 and my sister had leg warmers which i thought were cool so i nicked them to wear when skating. I never was one to bother about my peers - who thought this was extremely funny. Use to do films at college too so have worn makeup a lot and got laughed at by engineering students :D.

Bill
31st-October-2003, 11:51 AM
What about clothes - I loved platform soles I got the biggest pair of platforms I could find and instantly became the same height as my mates, Shoes were hidden by big flared trousers all set off with a loud tank top - I really wish I had kept those clothes.
p

Me too.........I had some cracking outfits - and I actually liked them at the time !:rolleyes:

I'm 5' 10" and always wanted to be 6' so platforms made me taller ...............but everyone ahd them so everyone was an inch or two taller. :(

I had a great pair that had rubber soles and I used to bounce around - like jumping on shock absorbers :na: Ah them were the days.

Lounge Lizard
31st-October-2003, 11:56 AM
indeed. I used to go roller skating in an arena every weekend when i was about 12 and my sister had leg warmers which i thought were cool so i nicked them to wear when skating. I never was one to bother about my peers - who thought this was extremely funny. Use to do films at college too so have worn makeup :D. Do you have no shame sir! Do you realise the effect this will have on Mr. McGoo, sorry Mr. Mc Gregor:wink:

Sheepman
31st-October-2003, 01:14 PM
so have worn makeup a lot and got laughed at by engineering students :D. Reminds me of a party when I was 15. I finally got there after my Mum's ancient Austin 1100 was written off en route. It was a small and very scary party, 6 girls and me, and not long before I was plastered with make up, I wasn't going to argue!
I wonder if Andy was influenced by any of the same girls, as this was in his locale? :devil:

A party with that sort of line up would still terrify me, but at least I'd know what to do when the music starts.

Greg

Pammy
31st-October-2003, 01:20 PM
A party with that sort of line up would still terrify me,

Who are you trying to kid?!? :wink:

Bardsey
31st-October-2003, 01:46 PM
I really wish I had kept those clothes.
p

You should see what I'm wearing tonight for a 60's do - Counterfeit Stones are in Wetherby!!!!

Mary Quant dress, black with white circle in middle, knee length black patent boots with white circles down sides to match dress and short Mary Quant wig..... and I think I look quite fashionable. Its like everything else, what goes around, comes around.

Bill
31st-October-2003, 02:34 PM
Mary Quant dress, black with white circle in middle, knee length black patent boots with white circles down sides to match dress and short Mary Quant wig..... and I think I look quite fashionable. Its like everything else, what goes around, comes around.

sounds verrrrrrrry interesting Jill......... sure you'll have fun. :D

Pammy
31st-October-2003, 02:36 PM

I love Mary Quant! I think you'll look fab!

Px

Sheepman
31st-October-2003, 03:09 PM
Who are you trying to kid?!? Of course in some cases it only takes 1 woman for me to be terrified :wink:

Greg

Bardsey
31st-October-2003, 03:22 PM
sure you'll have fun. :D

I'll certainly try my best, Bill. Counterfeit Stones are playing, they are brilliant, so should be a good night!

Bardsey
31st-October-2003, 03:23 PM
I love Mary Quant! I think you'll look fab!

Px

Good job I don't know how to post a photo on here or I might just frighten the natives. :rofl:

Boomer
31st-October-2003, 03:26 PM
Good job I don't know how to post a photo on here or I might just frighten the natives. :rofl:

Have you been 'upstairs'? :what: If only some people had more of your kind of compassion :devil:

Bardsey
31st-October-2003, 03:33 PM
Have you been 'upstairs'? :what: If only some people had more of your kind of compassion :devil:

Never participated in an "upstairs" thingy til today when there was a very interesting vote taking place!!!!:rofl:

Boomer
31st-October-2003, 04:04 PM
Let's not forget, the saddest film of all time, no, not Bambi (although I did cry in that too), but Watership Down :tears: :tears: :tears: *Brighteyes, burning like fire* :tears: :tears:
Oh, I missed this! Never mind that, 'The secret of Nym', now that was a film.

Brighteyes, burning like fireAAARRRGGHH big owl! *swoop - crunch - munch* Lovely. :devil:

Oh! What's that other film? 'The magic phone-booth' or something...started as a 'normal' film - actors and stuff - and then became a cartoon?

Pammy
31st-October-2003, 04:11 PM
Brighteyes, burning like fireAAARRRGGHH big owl! *swoop - crunch - munch* Lovely. :devil:

Are you referring to my incident in the slippers? :tears: :tears:

The QuizMaster :wink:

Bill
31st-October-2003, 05:07 PM

Well..............if you do get one let us all see :D

Fran
1st-November-2003, 12:28 AM

........did you see Bills last photo post???:what:

Bardsey
3rd-November-2003, 01:08 PM
........did you see Bills last photo post???:what:

No, where was it posted? I need a good laugh today :rofl:

Forte
3rd-November-2003, 01:50 PM
Pammy! You have turned into a fish from Finding Nemo!!!

Pammy
3rd-November-2003, 02:17 PM
Pammy! You have turned into a fish from Finding Nemo!!!

Yes I have :grin:

As for why,

ask Boomer :what: :blush: :tears:

Dory
x

Boomer
3rd-November-2003, 02:46 PM
Yes I have :grin:
As for why,
ask Boomer :what: :blush: :tears:
Dory
x

Because she can't remember.. and stop singing that song! Fot some reson 'Last-night' (the songhas triggered 'Star-trekking', can't get it out of my bloody head and I need to sleep! :tears:

Forte
3rd-November-2003, 02:53 PM
No, where was it posted? I need a good laugh today :rofl:

Route 666 Haloween on social events:nice:

Bardsey
3rd-November-2003, 03:06 PM
Route 666 Haloween on social events:nice:

:cheers: mate..... that is brilliant.

Hey Bill, nice legs !!!!

Pammy
3rd-November-2003, 03:21 PM
Because she can't remember.. and stop singing that song! Fot some reson 'Last-night' (the songhas triggered 'Star-trekking', can't get it out of my bloody head and I need to sleep! :tears:

If you mean the one that goes *Star-Trekkin across the universe* then that can have NOTHING to do with DJ Robbie; that my dear is a wholely conjured up by large monkey crying *All Fish Are Gonna Die HHHHeeehHHHHEeeee* song.

You need help my friend! I prescribe a large cup of tea and a cold sprout for your ailments! :rofl:

Dr Dory
x

Lory
3rd-November-2003, 03:40 PM
Never participated in an "upstairs" thingy til today when there was a very interesting vote taking place!!!!:rofl:
You get an education on here, until I went 'upstairs' I thought 'come dancing' was to do with ballroom, not Ceroc! :rofl:

Bardsey
3rd-November-2003, 03:43 PM
You get an education on here, until I went 'upstairs' I thought 'come dancing' was to do with ballroom, not Ceroc! :rofl:

:rofl: :rofl: Yes, same here! I am enjoying the forum though, its very infomative and lots of fun. I've met some great people and can't wait to meet them "in the flesh" so to speak!

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-November-2003, 03:49 PM
I've met some great people and can't wait to meet them "in the flesh" so to speak!

Remember that the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom party has a 'naturist' theme this year. We're all 'au naturale'. :)

Bardsey
3rd-November-2003, 03:52 PM
Remember that the Aberdeen Beach Ballroom party has a 'naturist' theme this year. We're all 'au naturale'. :)

Oh Dammit and I can't get there!:rofl:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-November-2003, 03:59 PM

Meany - you just want everyone to be the same colour as you :wink: bloomin' cold of a November night in Aberdeen. :D

Lounge Lizard
3rd-November-2003, 05:12 PM
ok guys about 18 replys of thread :what: so to bring things bak to then and now :wink:
Music
The sixties and the seventies were far superior for music than the 80's and 90's
we had the beatles, stones, who, cream, queen, dylan, springsteen, sting, otis redding marvin gaye etc etc all emerge during these two decades.
how can the 80's and 90's compare.
or
who is best Dylan or Lennon - Sting or Springsteen, Robbie Williams or Robert plant.
p:cheers:

Jon L
3rd-November-2003, 05:19 PM
Music was better in the 70's Lennon was a genious although moody.

Top of the pops was an entertaining programme to watch. Do you remember the first colour TV's huge big things with lots of transistors.

Incidentally Mr. Lizard do you have a picture of you in the 70's with long hair???

:grin:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-November-2003, 05:22 PM

how can the 80's and 90's compare.

what nonsense from Bandana Man :) ... Madness, The Specials and the ska revolution, Punk was picking up steam in the 80s, what about the surge of Rap artists, Heavy Metal bands, and pop with style like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants. The synth originality of kraftwerk, art of noise. Queen were still going strong. Prince. Vocalists like Lisa Stansfield, George Michael, Rick Astley....er..ok maybe not him.

To me the 80s was the decade of experimentation the 90s continued that trend. Its only in the last few years theres been too much mass market pop-tat but the charts and radio play have been political for years - theres still great new original music out there adn the internet makes it easier to find out about it. You cant rely on the 'Hit Parade' anymore. :)

In my opinion you lose the right to any respect by releasing a cover of someone elses song - pub bands do THAT. How to ruin your integrity in one go :). (depends if you started with any though)

Lets vote on this - all agreed say 'Eye!'

Lounge Lizard
3rd-November-2003, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by Jon L
Music was better in the 70's Lennon was a genious although moody.

Top of the pops was an entertaining programme to watch. Do you remember the first colour TV's huge big things with lots of transistors.

Incidentally Mr. Lizard do you have a picture of you in the 70's with long hair???

YUP
no I wont post it:devil:

Lounge Lizard
3rd-November-2003, 06:28 PM
what nonsense from Bandana Man :) ... Madness, The Specials and the ska revolution, Punk was picking up steam in the 80s,
what about the surge of Rap artists, Heavy Metal bands, and pop with style like Spandau Ballet and Duran Duran, Adam and the Ants. The synth originality of kraftwerk, art of noise. Queen were still going strong. Prince. Vocalists like Lisa Stansfield, George Michael, Rick Astley....er..ok maybe not him.

Yes but the strength of the 80's(what precious little existed:wink: ) came from the music styles and artists that started in the 60's and 70's
How many big name artists that STARTED in the 80's and 90's are still going strong
Rick Astley nicely sums up the 80's bland and boring :wink:

still at least we are back on thread:cheers:

Sheepman
3rd-November-2003, 06:44 PM
Rick Astley nicely sums up the 80's bland and boring :wink:

Just how I'd describe Springstein when it comes to dancing to him. :devil:

Greg

Fran
3rd-November-2003, 11:24 PM
:cheers: mate..... that is brilliant.

Hey Bill, nice legs !!!!

better with out the stocking though!:wink:

well as the thread has turned to music of past eras its a pity hes not here. bill has a huge record collection, and like Lounge Lizard had the hair to go with it :nice:

they were on the beach this afternoon in Las palmas on the ceroc holiday and seem to be having a good time.

wish I was there:tears: :tears:

never mind - I will not pine!!! :nice:

Having older brothers and sisters I was always influenced by their music and grew up to the sounds of motown. although I do remember my sister thinking the "lion sleeps to night"was a really good track in the 80's:sick: :sick: - I think she just fancied the bloke in the loin cloth. I did know all the words to Barry manilow - songs - may be i should not have admitted to that one:what:

fran

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 12:10 PM
although I do remember my sister thinking the "lion sleeps to night"was a really good track in the 80's:sick: :sick: - I think she just fancied the bloke in the loin cloth. I did know all the words to Barry manilow - songs - may be i should not have admitted to that one:what:

Barry Manilow; now there's no shame there!

I have a good version of the Lion Sleeps Tonight by REM. Very good indeed.

Px

Bardsey
4th-November-2003, 12:49 PM
I have a good version of the Lion Sleeps Tonight by REM. Very good indeed.

Px

Talking of REM, I've been looking for a CD by them with Losing My Religion on it. I just love that track!

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2003, 12:51 PM

How many big name artists that STARTED in the 80's and 90's are still going strong

Aah, it may be the case that wrinklies from the 60s and 70s are still out there but it doesnt lessen the revolution that was the 80s music. I also think youre not comparing like for like - the music industry changed dramatically in the 80s and 90s - you'll find that a large percentage of people in bands in the 80s are still in the industry - there are just more places for them to progress to without necessarily appearing on Top of the Pops :).

Originally posted by Dory

Barry Manilow; now there's no shame there

My parents took me to see him in concert at Edinburghs Playhouse when i was about 11. My strongest memory is of the very strange behaviour of the rows and rows of screaming middle-aged and elderly women in the stalls. :D

copa- copa cabaaaaaaaanaa la la lala la la etc..

Pammy
4th-November-2003, 12:55 PM
copa- copa cabaaaaaaaanaa la la lala la la etc..

Has anyone ever told you you have a remarkable singing voice?

Dory
x

Sheepman
4th-November-2003, 01:52 PM
Talking of REM, I've been looking for a CD by them with Losing My Religion on it. I just love that track! It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg

Bardsey
4th-November-2003, 02:06 PM
It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg
:cheers:

I think they are just advertising one on TV at the mo, I just keep tuning in that fraction too late to hear what's on it! Losing your Religion must be though, cos they were on "Parky" the other night and sang that one.

Graham
4th-November-2003, 02:12 PM
It's on their album Out Of Time (along with "Shiny Happy People"), released in 1991, so maybe tricky to find nowadays, but surely they've done a "Best Of" album with it on by now?

Greg It's on their new album In Time: The Best of REM 1988 - 2003, although Shiny Happy People isn't. But Out of Time is available for immediate dispatch on Amazon, if you'd like both.

Dreadful Scathe
4th-November-2003, 03:10 PM
Speaking of 80's music - we were you know...

i found this
80's music test (http://www.yetanotherdot.com/asp/80s.html)

See how many you can get - i got about half of them - dont submit your answers till youve given it your best shot though, that'd be cheating.

TheTramp
4th-November-2003, 03:52 PM
Scored 68.5....

What did you get DS??

Steve

Bardsey
4th-November-2003, 04:06 PM

i found this

See how many you can get - i got about half of them - dont submit your answers till youve given it your best shot though, that'd be cheating.

I got about half too. I think my score was about 38 or something. Amazing how many I did know when I saw the answers....always the case, innit?

:cheers: it was fun!

Chris
4th-November-2003, 04:30 PM
I got 44.5 on the eighties test, but I'm sure it should have been more like 4.5! :tears: - Hey, I'm allergic to most eighties music! no elegance to it - wish I found it easier to 'like' - it would make it easier to 'interpret' in dancing. (I got five points for saying where I saw the test though, so thanks DS) :rofl: :cheers:

Lovely to hear the halloween stories btw and of people dressing up and pumpkins and things :nice: - I always wished my mum had made pumpkin lanterns for us when we were young!

When I lived in the countryside children would come door to door for trick or treat, dressed up as witches and warlocks and things. They had made quite an effort so they'd usually get some spare change. A friend in Ireland tells me she has a supply of sweets to hand on halloween for neighbours' children visiting though which sounds an alternative to giving them cash.

I was at a lovely fancy dress dance in England on Halloween on Friday but it was Hollywood theme - some fab outfits, but I took the easy option and went dressed 'smart' (I rarely have the nerve to dress up!)

DavidY
4th-November-2003, 06:08 PM

i found this

See how many you can get 71 - but like ChrisA I got 5 points for putting something in the 'where did you see this' box.

Will
4th-November-2003, 06:16 PM
I got 78.5,

Bet I'd get alot less on todays music.

Pammy
5th-November-2003, 11:04 AM
73 :grin:

CJ
6th-November-2003, 02:47 PM
101.5 Didn't even attempt bonuses, and didn't say where saw it.

Somehow, managed to miss the metallica one. One. ONE gettit?

TAXIIIIIIIIIII

Bardsey
6th-November-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
101.5 Didn't even attempt bonuses, and didn't say where saw it.

Somehow, managed to miss the metallica one. One. ONE gettit?

TAXIIIIIIIIIII

Mmmm think I'd better go back and do it again !

Lounge Lizard
7th-November-2003, 10:17 AM
Just thought of another then and now topic (came from teachers thread)

We used to get the cane (across the hands) at our school, girls got the slipper on the bum (now there is yet another thread!), everyone got detention it seemed
what are your experiences?
I remember one incident I managed to p#ss off a teacher, they told me to go to headmaster and ask for the cane:what: :what:
I left the room with a comment akin to "don't be so bloody silly" and went home
Was in the sh#t when I returned, but it amused my mates.

It finally stopped when my dad popped in for a chat!!

Oh happy days

Ps I turned radio off in the eighties so have not tried quiz (yet) but please tell me what are good eighties dance tracks - I really struggle with them.I really did shut off musically in the eighties)

Lounge Lizard
7th-November-2003, 10:17 AM

We used to get the cane (across the hands) at our school, girls got the slipper on the bum (now there is yet another thread!), everyone got detention it seemed
what are your experiences?
I remember one incident I managed to p#ss off a teacher, they told me to go to headmaster and ask for the cane:what: :what:
I left the room with a comment akin to "don't be so bloody silly" and went home
Was in the sh#t when I returned, but it amused my mates.

It finally stopped when my dad popped in for a chat!!

Oh happy days

Ps I think turned radio off in the eighties so have not tried quiz (yet) but please tell me what are good eighties dance tracks - I really struggle with them.
(I really did shut off musically in the eighties)

Sheepman
7th-November-2003, 11:40 AM
Just thought of another
Do you want to try that again?

Peter - did you ever get lines at school too?
:D

Greg

Bardsey
7th-November-2003, 05:18 PM

We heard you the first time :rofl:

stewart38
7th-November-2003, 05:30 PM
Slipper /canes everything in my school (well I didn't own the school so it wasn't mine)All boys school. May explain a few things

A note came around (this is early 80s) that teachers could no longer use 'other implements' on students.

When you had the slipper had to be a senior teacher, cane deputy or head I think

I got the slipper once for owning up for lighting up a match (so that taught me honesty doesn't pay)

Happy days

Bardsey
7th-November-2003, 06:29 PM
Ogre-like dinner lady used to make me mash my carrots (YAK!) up with my potatoes to make sure I ate them. I used to leave the dining hall and promptly throw up (nice).

Eventually my mother had enough of this and took the dinner lady to task and was told "she should eat her carrots, they are good for her" (?)

My mother, bless her, said how the h*ll can she be getting any goodness out of ANY of her dinner when its decorating the pavement outside the dining hall????

:rofl: Dinner lady really got a :blush: then !

Fran
7th-November-2003, 11:50 PM
In Scotland the punishent was usually the belt or also refered to as the strap. I have herad some horrific tales over the years, when I was at school it was standard procedure and the really sadistic teachers were well known, both male and female.:sad: :sad:

I am a secondary school Design Technolgy teacher ( wood work, metal work, graphics & support for learning and I have to say that I am really glad that things have changed. I could not personally belt someone and I have worked in some tough schools.

when I was at primary school I was a dinner monitor ( served my table the food from the counter) and one day I accidently gave them the pudding on the same plate as the main course:what: mind you no one seemed to notice until I went up to get our tables pudding thinking the dinner ladies had forgot it - they found us another kind of pudding and we got an extra one. I can still remember it, we called it "flumpf" evaporated milk wisked up all frothy and set into jelly. Its amazing what you eat when you are little:really: :really:

Fran :cheers:

Chris
8th-November-2003, 01:17 AM
I remember the cane was abolished the day before the Geography teacher chased me round the school (he had a wooden leg and a lisp and I had done something rather naughty to wind him up). The headmaster was furious he couldn't cane me. Two hour 'detention' punishment on Saturday morning comprised going round the rugby pitch with a wheelbarrow for the first hour picking up stones - the second hour was spent putting them back. Things have come on a bit!
:innocent:
I once helped out a few years ago with an activity weekend for kids in Glasgow where we took them to a historic school and the qualified teachers gave them the same lesson twice - once the modern way with lots of empathy, asking the kids for ideas and things, and the same lesson the old authoritarian way - 'do as you're told, don't speak out of turn' etc (though stopping short of caning them of course!)
:sorry
At the end we asked them to vote on which they preferred - weird - all of the girls voted for the new method but most of the boys voted for the old method. (Boys prefer 'rules' more? knowing 'where they stand'?)
:what:
I was going to add something about Top of the Pops in this thread - the only tv prog I remember as a kid that is still on now - but I'll put it in the DJ thread as there were some cool new tracks.
:waycool:
ps. Flumpf sounds great - cheers for the recipe!

DavidY
8th-November-2003, 10:12 AM
we called it "flumpf" evaporated milk wisked up all frothy and set into jelly My mum used to make this - I used to really like it! (I suspect it wouldn't have been as nice if made by school dinner folk though)

Fran
8th-November-2003, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by DavidY
My mum used to make this - I used to really like it! (I suspect it wouldn't have been as nice if made by school dinner folk though)

Actually it was really good. the school dinners were apalling when I went to a secondary services school in Germany, but when I moved to Scotland I was so impressed with the school dinners - they actually tasted of somthing edible and as you became a senior pupil the dinner ladies gave you free seconds! :nice:

at the I am at the boys in the department and I occasionally treat oursevles to the syrup sponge and custard - its yummy!! dont feel like teaching afterwards though - need a lie down.

fran

Fran
8th-November-2003, 07:57 PM
at the I am at the boys in the department fran

whoops! missed out the word school!!! sorry..

shouold read;
at the school I am at ....

Chris
9th-November-2003, 02:06 AM
whoops! missed out the word school!!! sorry..
shouold read;
at the school I am at ....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I never even noticed till you corrected it but I laughed and my sides ache now

Pammy
11th-December-2003, 11:34 AM
Mum and Dad were cleaning out their loft the other day and in doing so, stumbled upon some of the photos I previously mentioned in this thread; eg the perm that went wrong. Thought you'd enjoy having a laugh at my expense.

NOTE: The haircut was a mistake, I however, have no excuse at all for the bush baby jumper :blush:

Pamster
x

PS It was infact worse than I remember ! :tears:

Jon L
12th-December-2003, 06:27 PM
!

Jon L
12th-December-2003, 06:37 PM
Pammy you are a brave woman posting that up - this is what I looked like in 1975, complete with plaster. If you look closely when you next dance with me (ladies) or I am having a chat (men), you'll see the small scar

bigdjiver
12th-December-2003, 09:21 PM
Slipper? Canes? Lines?

I joined a new school in a fairly racous, badly behaved class. Keen to mimic to be accepted I tried to continue this behaviour in a very quiet woodwork class. My companion shushed me and pointed to a hole in the wall. "That's where he threw a chisel at ... ".

Fran
13th-December-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Slipper? Canes? Lines?
My companion shushed me and pointed to a hole in the wall. "That's where he threw a chisel at ... ".

thats a trick to remember... must share that one at the next depatment meeting for disapline strategies in the workshop:wink:

Ive heard of a pupil throwing a chisel at a teacher and another pupil throwing one at a pupil - ....not in my woodwork class though!!

Lounge Lizard
13th-December-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Slipper? Canes? Lines?

I joined a new school in a fairly racous, badly behaved class. Keen to mimic to be accepted I tried to continue this behaviour in a very quiet woodwork class. My companion shushed me and pointed to a hole in the wall. "That's where he threw a chisel at ... ". Blimey, Ifell asleep in a class and the teacher was throwing chalk at me to wake me up - much to the apparant amusement of the class - when this tactic failed he used the blackboard cleaner - big wooden thing 'ouch' I woke up tho.
Bloody glad It was not a chisel

DavidB
13th-December-2003, 07:15 PM
....not in my woodwork class though!! I assume the problem is throwing the chisel and not letting go of the whip.

Minnie M
13th-December-2003, 08:15 PM
Took this photo with my new clever mobile of an old photo (20yrs old) to remind me that I wasn't always fat :blush:

I've still got the dress too (size 10):tears: :tears: :tears:

Fran
14th-December-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I assume the problem is throwing the chisel and not letting go of the whip.

:rofl: :rofl:

mind you I am also a support for learning teacher and work in classes specifically for behaviour support/management so I am known as quite being very strict in those classes. A bit of disapline does wonders....:wink:

Daisy
15th-December-2003, 12:16 AM

Px

I still teach the kids in my class to make these now......the simple things are always the best. They also love to learn how to make a decent paper airplane.....not an easy thing to do.:wink:

Daisy
15th-December-2003, 01:06 AM
I spent most of my childhood stood on my head against a wall or doing cart-wheels or handstands. You were either a cowboy or an indian. We all wanted to be cowboys really cos we all had a cowboy outfit with a GUN in a gun holster that tied to your leg.

We ran around the garden slapping our legs, jumping over broom sticks, pretending to be horses....hum !

We pretended to be The Beatles and made cardboard guitars....I wanted to be George and no-one wanted to be Ringo!

We didn't have swimming lessons at school, we had to learn to swim in the local river. The shear cold, the cow pats floating in it and the weir down river were an incentive to get out of the way!!

Sledging down the street with all the other kids until your hands were blue with cold.

That was in the days when we had snow.

My sister and I played with farm animals....little plastic toys. We would build farms out of pegs, all over the lounge floor. Dad would come in and scatter them everywhere with his feet.

I was very proud of my satchel, which was brown leather with two buckles. I kept it all through my school years and by the time I left in the sixth form it was falling apart and was covered in grafitti.......mostly boys names!!

My worst memory was of the dentist who was hell. He had a dark gloomy room that was reminisant of a torture chamber. It always hurt. My other big fear was of steam trains...yes I am that old. I was very little and they were like huge monsters. I was terrified of the gap between the platform and the train.

At the age of 7 I wore Tuff Go Girl shoes with animal prints on the botton and a compass in the heel. When I was 17 I was going to the pub in a pair of Hot Pants and knee high platform boots......rock on.

Daisy
15th-December-2003, 01:22 AM
This thread has brought back loads of memories. I never had to us an ironing board because my hair was already straight so I went through unbearable tortures as a child to achieve curls or ringlets.

Hair washing night was always a nightmare, because, the bathroom was so cold, you never wanted to expose you flesh to it. We had long hair and no conditioner so combing it out was agony.

We would sit in front of the fire until our hair was dry, which took forever and then mum would put it in rags...this was to create the curles. Otherwise it was put in spong rollers that we would sleep in as well as giving me a headache. My hair would never retain the curl for long: it looked fabulous in the morning and straight again by lunchtime!!!

Thank heaven fashions have changed.

Boomer
15th-December-2003, 11:39 AM
Oh for the days when I looked this young and had hair :tears:

Boomer
15th-December-2003, 11:40 AM

Forte
15th-December-2003, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Daisy
I spent most of my childhood stood on my head against a wall or doing cart-wheels or handstands. :cheers:

I enjoyed reading all of this post, Daisy. It seems we had a very similiar childhood! :rofl:

Bardsey
15th-December-2003, 12:41 PM
I enjoyed reading all of this post, Daisy. It seems we had a very similiar childhood! :rofl:

Me too, Daisy!:hug:

Lory
15th-December-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Daisy

Hair washing night was always a nightmare, because, the bathroom was so cold, you never wanted to expose you flesh to it. We had long hair and no conditioner so combing it out was agony.

We would sit in front of the fire until our hair was dry, which took forever and then mum would put it in rags...this was to create the curles. Otherwise it was put in spong rollers that we would sleep in as well as giving me a headache. My hair would never retain the curl for long: it looked fabulous in the morning and straight again by lunchtime!!!

Wow, how I sympathise with this! I too had long straight hair (still have) my mum used to wash it with Vosene, and it wasn't clean till it squeaked!

Then the torture of sponge rollers to sleep in! :tears: and getting them out was hell too! :tears: :tears:

All for five minutes of curl!

My mum also used to pinch my cheeks, to make them rosy! ouch ouch ouch!

Pammy
15th-December-2003, 01:18 PM
Then the torture of sponge rollers to sleep in! :tears: and getting them out was hell too! :tears: :tears:

My mum used to braid mine into tiny little plaits while damp so it came out like you'd had an electric shock; I felt like a princess when it was like that though!

Also, a few more tv programmes that I have remembered:-

Anne of Green Gables & Follyfoot Farm...

TV at it's best! :wink:

stewart38
15th-December-2003, 05:38 PM
Oh for the days when I looked this young and had hair :tears:

When I was young I to had hair

I remember it was cut purdy style (pudding type ?)

I died when I had a short back and sides. I was 12/13 how would anyone (ok girl) like me ?

I hated having short hair then, now i always cut my hair really short more have to as it now only grows out of the side
:sick:

Dance Demon
24th-December-2003, 12:43 AM
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but something happened to me today that probably would not have twenty or thirty years ago. I was in the St James centre in Edinburgh, doing my last minute Christmas shopping. I was going up an escalator, and there was a little boy about 6 years old , shouting to his mum " Im away up here mum, see you later " and laughing cos he thought this was fun. When he got to the top he realised that there wasn't a down escalator, and he started to panic and tried to get back down the up escalator. My first instinct was to pacify him, then to take him down the stairs to find his mum. For some reason, alarm bells started to ring in my head, and instead i found a waitress who was working in the food court, and drew her attention to the wee boys plight and left her to sort the situation out. But the alarm bells that sounded were because I was worried that I might get accused of trying to abduct the wee chap, and branded as some kind of paedo, when I was simply trying to help. What a sad reflection on the kind of society we live in:(

under par
2nd-August-2006, 02:40 AM
I've just remebered a Taboo thing

Eenie meany miney mo
catch a nigger by his toe
if he hollers, let him go
Eenie meany miney mo

I doubt kids use this one to choose anything nowaday's

not really incorrect politically but i remember

"One potato , two potato, three potato, four!

five potato, six potato, seven potato, more!"

fo choosing who was it

under par
2nd-August-2006, 02:48 AM

Next to the Black Jacks on the shelf was always the Fruit Salads, I much preferred them to Black Jacks
And the lilac Palmolives tasted a bit like soap, yeuk

Ahhhh and Love Hearts too.....mmmm.

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 08:59 AM
Ah memories flooding back!

Chocky, Chocky's Children and Chocky's Challenge.
Children of the Stones
The Stone Tapes

(showing my age now)

Battle of the Planets
The Book Tower (hosted by Tom Baker)
Public information Films That used to terrify me.. "Polish a floor and put a rug on it? You might as well set a man trap!" or Donald Plesance as "I am the spirit of dark and lonely water"

what about that program.. oh Armchair theatre? the one with the Nun on the rocking chair in the attic? Tales of the unexpected?

loads more HERE (http://www.tv-ark.org.uk/)

and Sweets too.. Spangles, ice cream cones with two easy to choke on chewing gum marbles at the bottom, Green and white minty chew things (what were they called again?) Black Jacks and Chocolate skulls.

Playing marbles on the drain covers, always one kid who got his dad/uncle etc to get him a HUGE ball bearing "steelie"

ah the good old days... I feel so old now :( ;)

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 10:27 AM
Green and white minty chew things (what were they called again?)
Do you mean Pacers?

not really incorrect politically but i remember

"One potato , two potato, three potato, four!

five potato, six potato, seven potato, more!"

fo choosing who was it
The more uncouth kids used
"Ip dip dog sh1t, you are it" :whistle:

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 10:35 AM
Do you mean Pacers?

That's the ones!! :respect: :clap:

Tiggerbabe
2nd-August-2006, 12:02 PM
That's the ones!! :respect: :clap:
Weren't they called Opal Mints at first? And Starburst were Opal Fruits? :confused:

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 12:08 PM
I remember when Starbursts were opal fruits, but I don't remember them being called opal mints, I do remember Pacers though, quite soft and chewy with a very mild minty flavour.

I used to get a whole packet and soften them all up in my hands and roll them into one big one then, eat that...

My Mum always used to tell me off for playing with my food :)

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 12:54 PM
And the lilac Palmolives tasted a bit like soap, yeuk

Weren't they Parma Voilets?

I like the Cherry Lips/Cola Cubes you could buy by the 1/4 too.

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 12:55 PM
Chocolate skulls.

Chocolate tools: screwdrivers and drills were my favourites. For some reason I never liked the spanners.

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 12:56 PM
"Ip dip dog sh1t, you are it" :whistle:

The second line was "who trod in it?" where I come from.

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 01:01 PM
Chocolate tools: screwdrivers and drills were my favourites. For some reason I never liked the spanners.
:rofl: We used to call someone a Spanner when they had said something stupid.

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 01:04 PM
Weren't they Parma Voilets?

Or Violets even. :D Who remembers Sherbert pips and Sweet tobacco.

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 01:05 PM
:rofl: We used to call someone a Spanner when they had said something stupid.

:yeah: We did too!

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 01:08 PM
Or Violets even. :D Who remembers Sherbert pips and Sweet tobacco.

Me! Strawberry laces, gobstoppers, beech nut chewing gum, flying saucers and those rainbow coloured chewy rice crispy things. You could get a whole bagful of them for 5p!

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 01:12 PM
Me! Strawberry laces, gobstoppers, beech nut chewing gum, flying saucers and those rainbow coloured chewy rice crispy things. You could get a whole bagful of them for 5p!
Never heard of Beech nut chewing gum but the rest you can still get. They sell bags of Rainbow rice in Sainsburys.:D (I think they are more than 5p now though)

Tiggerbabe
2nd-August-2006, 01:13 PM
those rainbow coloured chewy rice crispy things. You could get a whole bagful of them for 5p!
I'd forgotten about them, thanks Aleks, :hug: :D

Aleks
2nd-August-2006, 01:22 PM
My childhood Wednesday nights: treat of the week, going swimming then having 10p to spend either in the vending machine (on Space Invader crisps) or having a game of Space Invaders.....

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 02:14 PM
I remember getting 10p from my gran every week for sweets and thinking how lucky I was.

And if I was going anywhere with my mum and dad during the summer holidays I'd get 50p if it was just a day trip or a WHOLE POUND if I was going on holiday somewhere!

I remember going to blackpool one year and I had FIFTEEN POUNDS with me.. why such riches were unheard of in our house ;)

If you gave a kid 50p these days they'd just look at you.

(of course, these were PROPER 10p's and 50p's.. big solid slugs of metal that weighed your pockets down.. not these namby pambly little things you have nowadays. And don't get me started on the new 5p piece.. silly fiddly small change! ;) :rofl: )

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 02:18 PM
If you gave a kid 50p these days they'd just look at you.

Not neccessarily, my kids are 10 and 14 and they only get £1 a week. (Thats if i remember, which i usually don't)

ToeTrampler
2nd-August-2006, 03:06 PM
Or Violets even. :D Who remembers Sherbert pips and Sweet tobacco.Oh, i'd forgotten about that - wasn't it a sort of stringy coconut flavoured stands?:yum:

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 03:14 PM
Did anyone ever have Gypsy Tart at school? I think it was a regional dessert as no one i ask outside of my home town has ever heard of it. It was exceedingly unhealthy, pastry base filled with a type of mousse made from brown sugar and condensed milk. :drool: They used to serve it with half an apple to make it seem healthier.:rolleyes:

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 04:15 PM
Gypsy Tart? Oh the things I learnt from HER in primary school ;)

the recipe sounds familiar but I'm sure we had a different name for it ...

EDIT

nope.. seems it's always been called Gypsy Tart

Recipe HERE (http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/tarts/01/rec0139.html)

Beowulf
2nd-August-2006, 04:41 PM
you know this thread has made me feel so darn old ! I realise now that some of the cute dancers etc I've been dancing with were not even born when I was starting Highschool !!

I've eaten sweets with consume by dates dated well before some people on this forums birth !!

Oh to recapture my youth.. or better still recapture someone else's .. will happily settle for a lusty 21 or 22 year old ;)

Cruella
2nd-August-2006, 05:22 PM
Gypsy Tart? Oh the things I learnt from HER in primary school ;)

the recipe sounds familiar but I'm sure we had a different name for it ...

EDIT

nope.. seems it's always been called Gypsy Tart

Recipe HERE (http://www.recipesource.com/desserts/tarts/01/rec0139.html)
Oooh, i'm excited. Now whose going to make one for me? My cooking skills are non existent! Sparkles :hug: :kiss: :flower: :D

mrs_warwick
2nd-August-2006, 05:42 PM
you know this thread has made me feel so darn old ! I realise now that some of the cute dancers etc I've been dancing with were not even born when I was starting Highschool !!

I know exactly what you mean! I was talking to Alex, the teacher at Leicester, one evening, and I mentioned Eddie 'The Eagle' Edwards, who used to taxi at Leicester. Alex had no idea who I was talking about. Made me feel ancient.

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-August-2006, 10:47 AM
Oooh, i'm excited. Now whose going to make one for me? My cooking skills are non existent! Sparkles :hug: :kiss: :flower: :D

It will be tough but I will give it a go for you hun :D

Cruella
3rd-August-2006, 10:49 AM
It will be tough but I will give it a go for you hun :D
:kiss: :love: I Love You!
(I'm easily bought)

Tazmanian Devil
3rd-August-2006, 10:53 AM
:kiss: :love: I Love You!
(I'm easily bought)

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Now to figure out when we will next be at the same place at the same time :confused:

Love ya too hun :love:

Sparkles
7th-August-2006, 12:50 PM

OK, have e-mailed the recipe to myself.
It sounds disgusting :sick: but if it'll make you happy I'll give it a go for tonight (as long as I don't get lynched if no-one else likes it!). :flower:
I am sorry to say, though, that I won't have time to make my own pastry :tears: so I'll have to give in and buy some - apologies for the drop in standars :sad:.

Beowulf
7th-August-2006, 01:03 PM
OK, have e-mailed the recipe to myself.
It sounds disgusting :sick:

I have to say it's not one i'll be making in a hurry.. it's probably one of these things you'd love as a kid as it's just sugary sweet but as an adult you will find quite disgusting..

Cruella
7th-August-2006, 01:04 PM
I have to say it's not one i'll be making in a hurry.. it's probably one of these things you'd love as a kid as it's just sugary sweet but as an adult you will find quite disgusting..
I'll let you know tomorrow. :rolleyes: Perhaps i should wear my school uniform and pigtails just so i can recapture the taste properly.

Sparkles
7th-August-2006, 01:04 PM
Well, I guess we'll find out tonight!
I just hope it cools down in time...

Aleks
7th-August-2006, 01:14 PM
Was anyone else ever given this at school?

Pastry base
jam layer
custardy stuff
coconut on top

What was it called?
I used to LOVE it!

latinlover
7th-August-2006, 01:17 PM
Perhaps i should wear my school uniform and pigtails just so i can recapture the taste properly.

:yeah:
well, there's an incentive!
now , just stop it ,right there!!

Donna
7th-August-2006, 01:32 PM
Was anyone else ever given this at school?

Pastry base
jam layer
custardy stuff
coconut on top

What was it called?
I used to LOVE it!

I know exactly which desert you're talking about, but I can' think of the damn name either. You sure it wasn't coconut tart or jam & coconut tart? :yum:

One thing I remember about school dinners (this reeally turns my stomach) chips, cheese and gravy!!! :confused: :sick:

Donna
7th-August-2006, 01:35 PM
An old school rhyme

We are the golden girls, we wear our hair in curls
We wear our dungaries up to our sexy knees
A boy came up to me, he gave me 50p,
He gave me 50p to go behind the tree
He pulled my knickers down and counted 1 2 3

My father was surprised, to see my belly rise
He jumped for joy to see my baby boy. :rolleyes: :rofl:

(think that's right anyway - if I've missed anything somebody correct me! thanks. :) )

Cruella
One thing I remember about school dinners (this reeally turns my stomach) chips, cheese and gravy!!! :confused: :sick:
Not as bad as Liver and Bacon and soggy mash!:sick:

Aleks
I know exactly which desert you're talking about, but I can' think of the damn name either. You sure it wasn't coconut tart or jam & coconut tart? :yum:

Maybe.

:sick: Cheese and potato tart with tinned tomatoes that made the pastry all soggy :sick:

Donna
7th-August-2006, 01:42 PM
Not as bad as Liver and Bacon and soggy mash!:sick:

:sick: yuk, can't stand liver full stop. :sick:

Beowulf
7th-August-2006, 03:09 PM
Was vegetarian when I was younger (medical reasons).. that was really awkward. they'd try giving me beef casserole with the lumps of beef taken out or I'd get there and have a cheese and tomato sandwich waiting for me :( (obviously just a salad sandwich when I was still unable to eat dairy produce)

Couldn't eat meat and couldn't eat Dairy produce either.. :( but was cured (Thankfully) but never had the taste for meat after that.. However, could have lived (and still do) on Macaroni Cheese !!