PDA

View Full Version : Someone who knows you wants to contact you

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 12:26 PM
I had a brief moment of excitement yesterday when I got the text message that went something like this:-

"Someone who knows you wants to contact you via our dating service, to find out more ring 0906 . . ."

So a microsecond later, I thought, "If they know me, why don't they just call me" and "If they know me, they wouldn't be trying to date me" (SO many reasons there!!!) So I hit DELETE.

So has anyone else had these daft texts, and will anyone own up to being gullible enough to call at whatever extortionate rate is charged? If so, were you satisfied?

Greg

linda
24th-October-2003, 12:35 AM
Yes Greg I've had my brief moment of excitment too, several times now:grin: but like you, realised that no one would wish to date me:sad: I think it's because I'm too quiet:wink: and too sensible:really: to phone that number. however if anyone out there was thinking of offering me date, there's always the private message:wink:

Linda
:kiss: :kiss:

Dance Demon
24th-October-2003, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by linda
but like you, realised that no one would wish to date me:sad:

Aye!!!right.......shouldn't think you'd have much problems along those lines miss Quiet one.........:wink:

linda
24th-October-2003, 09:09 AM
Thankyou DD you say the nicest things:grin:!
Oh! and Greg, private message is DEFINITELY the way:wink: :wink:

Linda
:kiss: :kiss:

Pammy
24th-October-2003, 09:15 AM
Thanks for nothing Sheepy, I was in all night waiting for you to call back :wink: :rofl:

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by linda
realised that no one would wish to date me
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Just to be clear about it, that is hysterical laughter at your totally incredibly false statement!

Greg x

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
I was in all night waiting for you to call back
You don't get around me that easily - I know where you were . . .

G x

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
You don't get around me that easily - I know where you were . . .

And more worryingly, you know where I am :what: :really: :tears: :wink:

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
And more worryingly, you know where I am But not which dimension you're in!

G x

Pammy
28th-October-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
But not which dimension you're in!

That my friend, is a closely guarded secret. :wink:

Jon L
28th-October-2003, 06:04 PM
I get these annoying pop ups on windows XP from people who want to get to know me (and who I have never met or heard from in my life)

Will
29th-October-2003, 02:16 AM
Also watch out for text messages telling you that you've won £xxx's and that you need to ring 090xxxxxxxx to claim it. This is another scam against which I gather there are moves afoot to sue the perpetrators.

Sheepman
29th-October-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Jon L
I get these annoying pop ups on windows XP from people who want to get to know me (and who I have never met or heard from in my life)
I presume these are coming from Messenger, there are a couple of ways I know of to deal with this.

1. Right click on the Messenger Icon in the Start Bar, I can't remember the exact details, but it might be Properties you need to click on, then find the window which has a check box for "Start Messenger when windows starts up", uncheck this box. Next time you start up, Messenger SHOULD not start.

2. Install a firewall, eg the free Zone Alarm, and when it pops up with "Allow Messenger Access to the Internet" JUST SAY NO!

Of course neither of these will help if you actually want to use Messenger. (Why?)

I'm sure there are plenty of other computer wizzes out there with better advice.

Greg