PDA

View Full Version : Completing a dance lesson

Jon L
23rd-October-2003, 12:54 AM
Have you ever had someone walk out of the line during a dance class lesson? and you have had to either go back to the substitutes bench or grab someone from the substitutes bench?

:mad: IMHO This not only is impolite to the teacher, but also means the class is delayed because the lines have to be resynched. I think if you should start a lesson, you should complete it unless you are feeling very unwell.

I have had two occasions of partners doing this in my time as a jive dancer. Once was a lady who promptly went off and had a natter with her chum who had just entered the hall. A second was where a lady decided that the class was too difficult and walked off.

I have had one other very unpleasant experience two years ago . I was standing next to an advanced dancer in Guildford. Now at this time I was still trying to master the intermediates class. I ended up with an advanced woman (who should know better) :mad: and she was really upset that she got me and not the advanced chap. boy did that do my confidence the power of good at the time!

In freestyle it's different, but in a class you should be fair to everyone.

bigdjiver
23rd-October-2003, 02:08 AM
I have walked out of a class. I went in full of ambition, and found I was trying a "tell it to the judge" move, where I was in danger of touching the woman where I did not ought to, or want to.

I would rather ladies walked out of UCP or dangerous moves than tried them under sufferance. It is not easy to tell in advance, when you are seeing them done by an expert.

Forte
23rd-October-2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
Have you ever had someone walk out of the line during a dance class lesson? and you have had to either go back to the substitutes bench or grab someone from the substitutes bench?

:mad: IMHO This not only is impolite to the teacher, but also means the class is delayed because the lines have to be resynched. I think if you should start a lesson, you should complete it unless you are feeling very unwell.

There could be a thousand reasons why she walked off that you don't know about. It is a social occassion as well as a dance class and everyone is entitled to feel comfortable. Don't take it personally and live and let live. Dance and let not dance? There are more serious dance classes than Ceroc if you find it too relaxed but personally I think it is the very relaxed nature of the set up that makes it so popular...I don't think it is a great hardship to walk over and get the next lady in line up...

DavidB
23rd-October-2003, 04:24 AM
I've walked out of a class when a drop was being taught dangerously. But I was the very last man in the rotation, so it wouldn't make any difference.

I've also left classes frequently when there have been too many men, and I've got to the 'substitutes bench'.

Lounge Lizard
23rd-October-2003, 07:23 AM
I have walked out of a class, I have had people walk out on my classes - no problem there.

I often teach drops and seducers in routines, I try to keep them to the very end of the class as even if I show a simple alternative, ladies (and guys) will drop out.

I have also watched a busy class at Camber, 1.5 hour long where 80% of the dancers were bored silly, they were to polite to walk away, so the teacher got invited back:what:

If dancers walk off it lets the teacher know something may be wrong, it works the other way tho - If the watchers in the wings all join in then the class must be ok.
p

TheTramp
23rd-October-2003, 08:22 AM
Yeah. Sorry to disagree Jon, but I have also left dance classes.

I've certainly left if I don't think that the class is enjoyable. Or, like DavidB has said, if they are teaching moves unsafely, or even just badly.

It's a lot harder for men to drop out, since usually there's less of us than the women - if I want to do it, I just wait until I get someone in the class that I know. Then ask her if we can both leave - that way it doesn't cause any hassle.

I have heard about a class at one of Franco's events, where 80% of the people did leave the class. Which is a good indication to Franco not to invite that teacher back.

Also, the people who come to a dance class are paying their money to come to enjoy themselves. Why should they feel that they have to do something that they aren't enjoying. If you try and force that, then in all likelihood, they won't bother coming back.

As for the lady who didn't get the man next to you in the class. It may well have been a good friend of hers. When I'm in a class line, I always prefer to get friends, as you can usually have a bit of a chat, and a hug. Might not have been anything to do with your dancing ability at all (although, most women are happier when they get someone they know can do a move (not unreasonably), as it means that they aren't going to get pulled around, or anything like that. Same usually goes for the men too though!).

Steve

Jon L
23rd-October-2003, 10:51 AM
Thanks for honest reply guys. :nice: - perhaps I am taking things too personally, as I am quite a sensitive guy by nature :blush:

Similar to David B, I got to the end of a line once where it made no difference, as opposed to pullling out smack in the middle and dropped out because I was knackered. (It has only happened the once) and I shouldn't have started this one in the first place.

The drops,lifts, aerials are completely different kettle of fish because under the number 3 (Never be afraid to say no), they are worried about safety in which case a polite word to the guy might be nice.

If a class went on too long then yeah please tell the organisers honestly.

Not entirely sure I agree with the tramp on the advanced dancer one though. A polite wave and then have a chat when the class is finished might be better.

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
I have heard about a class at one of Franco's events, where 80% of the people did leave the class. Which is a good indication to Franco not to invite that teacher back. You are probably right at 80%, but where is the cut off? It may be that the class was just incorrectly billed, so the wrong crowd came to it. In particular I'm thinking of a class by Nicky Haslam and Robert last May, billed as Advanced Jive, but over here we're not as accustomed to the big air steps. So about 50% dropped out as the lesson went on. Nothing to do with bad teaching or a boring lesson, it was just too physically demanding for the wingeing Poms!

Yes I have (rarely) dropped out of classes, mostly due to injury, if it is for any other reason, then I will wait till I've been moved on past the end of the queue, or try and wait for someone I know, so I can explain. It is disruptive to the class, so if it is a dangerously taught move, or one likely to lead to "improper handling" then there is no problem in explaining to your partner that you're not doing that move.

I was so impressed in a recent class where a tricky lift was being (well) taught. I was moved on to a woman who was at least twice my size. She said with a smile that no way is she doing that move, it was good that she recognised the dangers and saved my embarrassment.

Greg

Jon L
23rd-October-2003, 11:09 AM
I heard about that Nicky H class from a friend of mine.

They billed it as Advanced Aussie Jive, and failed to explained immediately that that was a complicated aerials class.

Apparently it is known advanced aussie jive = aerials.

I wouldn't have known this.

TheTramp
23rd-October-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jon L
Not entirely sure I agree with the tramp on the advanced dancer one though. A polite wave and then have a chat when the class is finished might be better. What? You don't enjoy it when you get someone in class that you know, and you know will cope with any move that is being taught?? I know that when I'm in a class, I always like it when a friend ends up as my partner for a time. Not that I don't enjoy the chance to meet new people of course too. But as a preference.....

Steve

Graham
23rd-October-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
What? You don't enjoy it when you get someone in class that you know, and you know will cope with any move that is being taught?? I know that when I'm in a class, I always like it when a friend ends up as my partner for a time. Not that I don't enjoy the chance to meet new people of course too. But as a preference..... I don't think there's anything wrong with preferring some people to others - we all do - but it's the extent that you communicate that to your non-preferred partners that's the issue. For example, ladies on the rotation often say to their new partner something like "Great! Someone who knows what they're doing!", but it would be a tad inconsiderate to say "Oh, great :rolleyes: Someone who hasn't a clue" to everyone else! :grin:

I have no problem with people dropping out of a class, but I would prefer that they didn't do it during the rotation itself - this just confuses everyone trying to count, and delays the class.

Gus
23rd-October-2003, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by Graham
II have no problem with people dropping out of a class, but I would prefer that they didn't do it during the rotation itself - this just confuses everyone trying to count, and delays the class.

Agree ... I remember (bot so long ago) when I moved up to Intermediates at Peterborough, then at Nottingham. On a not too irregular basis I would find myself at coming to the point where the teacher was demoing moves 1 to 3 and I just hadn't got a clue. I would be faced with the dilema of absolutely wasting the time of my partner (and putting both me and her at risk of life and limb) or crawling off the floor in shame ... not an easy choice:tears:

Since those earlier days I may no apology for walking off the floor a number of times at events like Jive Spree where either the instructors have taught dangerous/cringeworthy moves or they have taught the class so badly I had no intention of having to waste my time to service their over-inflated egos.:reallymad