PDA

View Full Version : Do u have favorite people to dance to Certain tracks with?

Lory
22nd-October-2003, 05:03 PM
Do you, when u hear a certain song, eg. fast, slow, salsa-ish or blues, have a preference to which partner you will choose to dance with?

TheTramp
22nd-October-2003, 05:09 PM
Oh yes... :D

Steve

DavidB
22nd-October-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Lory
Do you, when u hear a certain song, eg. fast, slow, salsa-ish or blues, have a preference to which partner you will choose to dance with? For really slow songs I might look for certain people. For fast songs I just avoid everyone and hide!

Lory
22nd-October-2003, 05:19 PM
I try to avoid the smelly ones for the slow ones!:rofl:

Jon L
23rd-October-2003, 12:20 AM
Yes there a couple of songs that I will look for certain folk

Graham
23rd-October-2003, 12:55 AM
I feel like courting a bit of controversy - if this isn't the case then in my opinion you're not a very good dancer.

Having said that, you shouldn't get too stuck in a rut, as who goes best with which track will change over time. A couple of months ago someone asked me to dance to Boogie Woogie Choo Choo Train (a track I normally loathe) and I had a fantastic time, even though my preference with that particular dancer would have been for slower music (although she probably has a whole bunch of people above me on her list for those tracks!!)

Pammy
23rd-October-2003, 09:26 AM
I definitely have certain dancers that I like to do certain songs with, and whenever those songs come on the radio, it makes me think of that person; as if we don't think about ceroc outside a ceroc venue enough! :grin:

Gadget
23rd-October-2003, 09:31 AM
I find it the other way round {:blush:}: on certain style of tracks I find certain ladys seeking me out.

Maybe it's the tracks that no-one else will dance to ?? :what:

Sandy
23rd-October-2003, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
I definitely have certain dancers that I like to do certain songs with, and whenever those songs come on the radio, it makes me think of that person; as if we don't think about ceroc outside a ceroc venue enough! :grin:

I'm with you. However as some of my favourite partners have moved away I have found other people to dance those favourites with. It's a bummer when you hear your favourite and jump up to get your usual partner and someone got their first! However, it is good to dance with lots of different partners and learn a few new things on the way. I used to always criticise people who only danced with certain partners and then without realising it found myself doing the same thing! There is a certain comfort factor though in dancing with someone you feel really comfortable with.

Ceroc does have a way of taking over eg will that top, trousers, shoes be OK for Ceroc dancing???

All great fun

Sandy:wink:

Pammy
23rd-October-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Sandy
It's a bummer when you hear your favourite and jump up to get your usual partner and someone got their first!

There is a certain comfort factor though in dancing with someone you feel really comfortable with.

Two very good points. Yes, real bummer, and secondly there are a few moves I love doing, but only feel comfy doing with people that I know will interpret them in the right way. Then you've got a great song and you can really get into it and feel it as there are no barriers with the right partner.

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 10:43 AM
It can also simply be a matter of someone you know really likes a particular track, whereas your current partner may hate it. (Ring any bells M?)
Different styles suit different tracks, and some partners just look a bit bewildered when I go wild, I just have to find someone equally mad.
If it's a fast one, it usually has to be someone I know, if it's really slow, even more so. There's all the stuff in the middle for discovering new partners.

Greg

Pammy
23rd-October-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
if it's really slow, even more so.

Even more so for me as I have been known to drift off

ZZZzzzzzzzzzz...... :wink:

Sandy
23rd-October-2003, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Then you've got a great song and you can really get into it and feel it as there are no barriers with the right partner.

Oooooooooooh yes, been there and know exactly what you mean:wink:

Sandy

Chicklet
23rd-October-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Lory
Do you, when u hear a certain song, eg. fast, slow, salsa-ish or blues, have a preference to which partner you will choose to dance with?

Hi Lory,

are you as disappointed as I am that none of the wooses are naming names:devil: :wink:

c:D

bigdjiver
23rd-October-2003, 12:00 PM
I have some numbers, eg Eva Cassidy "Wade in the water", Peggy Lee "Fever" that I say "needs a dancer". In truth they need a better dancer than I, but I love them.

There are other fast numbers where I just want to let rip, and I look for a wild woman. These usually come just after I have said yes to a request for another one from a beginner.

A few of my most memorable moments at unfamiliar venues have been when such a fast track comes on and I see a woman looking frantically around the room for her favourite, but in vain, and I step in. The change in expression from "I've got to waste this ..." to "He can do it!" is one of the treasures this dance has given me.

DavidB
23rd-October-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
The change in expression from "I've got to waste this ..." to "He can do it!" is one of the treasures this dance has given me. I had a similar one a few weeks ago. A lady told me "I thought you couldn't dance Jive - I just thought you did lifts."

Lory
23rd-October-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
I have some numbers, eg Eva Cassidy "Wade in the water", Peggy Lee "Fever" that I say "needs a dancer". In truth they need a better dancer than I, but I love them.

There are other fast numbers where I just want to let rip, and I look for a wild woman. These usually come just after I have said yes to a request for another one from a beginner.

A few of my most memorable moments at unfamiliar venues have been when such a fast track comes on and I see a woman looking frantically around the room for her favourite, but in vain, and I step in. The change in expression from "I've got to waste this ..." to "He can do it!" is one of the treasures this dance has given me. If I'm ever that frantic looking woman...The relief on my face comes when i realise that 'I' can actually do it with him! lol

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
- I just thought you did lifts." :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Greg

Mary
23rd-October-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
It can also simply be a matter of someone you know really likes a particular track, whereas your current partner may hate it. (Ring any bells M?)

Greg

Bells? Um, no, no bells!!:innocent: OK so I have gone marching off the floor muttering 'I hate this track'. Actually, it's more a case of it being overplayed and I can no longer feel inspired so you would be disappointed with me as a partner :devil: :devil: (Do I get away with that one?):wink:

M

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Mary
(Do I get away with that one?) Of course, it wasn't a criticism!

G

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 10:40 AM
Hey Lory,

So who are your favourite dancers, and do I manage to scrap into your top 10?

Roger

Pammy
24th-October-2003, 10:54 AM
More to the point Roger, am I in your top ten :blush:

Lory
24th-October-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by Roger C
Hey Lory,

So who are your favourite dancers, and do I manage to scrap into your top 10?

Roger
Helloooooooooo Roger, i didn't know you were on here! woo hoo! Dancing ANY track with u, is alway's a pleasure, your the only man I know, who never repeats the same move twice, (keeps me on my toes) just how many moves have u got up your sleeve????? lol

Love Lory X

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 11:29 AM
Hi Lory,

I don't have a collection of moves - I just feel the music, see what my partner likes to do, and whether she is up for something a little bit challenging or cheeky - so we have a unique dance everytime.

Roger C.

Tazmanian Devil
25th-October-2003, 01:07 AM
Oh yes, Tonight I went to a different Venue than I would usually go (Beckenham) I had never been there before so only knew one or two people. When these song come on and there is no one you would usually pick for that song I t is weird!! Although I still had some lovely dances it wasn't quiet the same. Missed the Wacko tonight for some of those swing tunes!:kiss: :hug: :kiss: