PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Champs Party

Gus
25th-July-2002, 01:36 PM
OK ... so you normally have a party after the event ... but as the Champs finishes late on Sunday and work beckons for most on Monday morning, Saturday night seems like a good idea.

Particularly for everyone travelling up (or down) to the event, it would be really nice to have a good social event the night before ... as was done for the Blackpool champs. It doesn't even need to involve dancing ... just as long as it includes alcohol, music, conversation and meeting some of the leading lights of scottish dance (Sheena, Jayne, Janet, Filthy etc). Good way to meet the opposition (if you're competing) and be social before the war commences at noon on Sunday.

Good idea/Bad idea? Any suggestions? Can Scotland throw a party to remember? The challenge is made!

:wink:

Jayne
25th-July-2002, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Good way to meet the opposition (if you're competing) and be social before the war commences at noon on Sunday.
:wink:

War? :what:

And there was me planning on getting quietly drunk on saturday night, followed by enjoying a couple of dances on the sunday.

Perhaps the hosts should take our southern cousins out hillwalking on the saturday - get that polluted, competitive air out of the system and make them more laid back for the sunday?

As someone's signature says: "Take it easy and your jive will swing" (or something like that...)

Jayne :nice:

John S
25th-July-2002, 03:18 PM
I think it's a good idea, Gus, but I suspect that as this is the first Scottish Champs there will already be enormous demands on Franck, Scot & co to get the main event right - it may be asking too much to ask them to organise a pre-event as well.

Maybe there is already something on locally that could serve as an informal pre-event party, though - anyone know of anything?

As to "war"/"opposition" etc (and I do know it's all said jokingly) I really do hope the event doesn't lose sight of the fun / celebration aspects of dancing in favour of competition. I wouldn't want it to be a pale imitation of the London/Blackpool events, excellent though they are - it would be nice for it to have a distinctive style of its own.

DavidB
25th-July-2002, 03:41 PM
It would be nice if there was something on the Saturday night. I know there is a dance in Aberdeen, but after coming all the way from London, the idea of another 120 miles is not appealing.

Other questions:

Are there any hotels hear to the competition venue?
Where are the good places to eat in Edinburgh?

David

Gus
25th-July-2002, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by John S
I think it's a good idea, Gus, but I suspect that as this is the first Scottish Champs there will already be enormous demands on Franck, Scot & co to get the main event right - it may be asking too much to ask them to organise a pre-event as well.

Totlay agree ... was thinking of something a lot more informal ... coming from the dancers themselevs ... and this is precisely the forum to do it. Soemthing like some pretty big bar when we could all sit down, chat argue, pick on Filthy and co, take the retribution dished out by Filthy and co etc. etc. etc. If there's a good (cheap) hotel where most of the visitors are staying ... why not commandeer their bar?

CJ
25th-July-2002, 06:47 PM
If there are enough numbers, who would fancy a K-lee (show's my lack of breeding but I can never spell caileigh correctly.:sorry )

Might slow down the opposition (whoever they may be:confused: ). Seriously, any thoughts?

Gus
25th-July-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
If there are enough numbers, who would fancy a K-lee (show's my lack of breeding but I can never spell caileigh correctly.:sorry )

Ahhhh the dreaded caileigh ... the traditinal wardance to scare the English ... bearded scottish brethern twirling round to maniacal music dressed in skirts going commando ... surely a sight to intimidate any opposition from the South.

Be carefull sir or I shall be forced to bring a horde of Morris Dancers up ..... no, on second thoughts thats far too cruel.

So ... the caileigh ... exactly how do you go about enjoying yourself at one?
:confused:

CJ
25th-July-2002, 07:45 PM
It's kind of like Ceroc:

Thrash around as best you can, as close to in time to the beat as you can manage, in something remotely close to predetermined steps with a fine, outstanding lady (trying to make up for previous posts here:sorry ) within a fun social group and a couple of shandies.(for the english). Us Scots are way too hard for that, we'd be on the water!!

How bad can it be?

Mmm. Back to that Morris Dancing.........

John S
25th-July-2002, 09:57 PM
One practical problem about the "Let's all pick on FilthyCute Party" - great idea, though, is that with the main event starting at midday on the Sunday, I doubt if many from the Glasgow, Dundee or even Aberdeen venues will be staying overnight in the Edinburgh/Musselburgh area - despite the attraction of Gus and his Morris Dancers (theme for cabaret section???).

Amanda
26th-July-2002, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Ahhhh the dreaded caileigh ... the traditinal wardance to scare the English ... bearded scottish brethern twirling round to maniacal music dressed in skirts going commando ... surely a sight to intimidate any opposition from the South.

If only any of the above were true then a CEILIDH would be great - the reality, however, doesn't quite measure up... Let's stick to what we know.

Amanda

Heather
26th-July-2002, 06:42 PM
:nice: :nice: Thank God somebody on this forum can spell!!!!!!
Maybe I should have said that on the 'Things that I hate thread?'
And another thing, whats with all this quotation stuff after the contributers name????!!! Everybody seems to be at it these days, a bit pretentious perhaps :wink: :wink:

Gus
26th-July-2002, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Heather
:nice: :nice: Thank God somebody on this forum can spell!!!!!!

OY! (spelt correctly?) ... this thread is about us sponging Southerners testing the truth in the myth of Scottish hospitality. If we're going to drag our sorry butts up North for ritual humiliation, getting beaten at dance and humiliated about our inability at Ceilidh ... well at least there better be copious amounts of alcohol and gorgeous lasses like yourself involved!!:wink:

So .. really ... what do you suggest should happen on the Saturday night????? Being honest for 10 secs ... a ceilidh sounds great. In my pre-Ceroc days we used to go to the monthly folk dance in North London .... alwys seemed to make a lot more sense after numerous ales!:D

filthycute
26th-July-2002, 07:51 PM
One practical problem about the "Let's all pick on FilthyCute Party" - great idea, though

OK,OK...taking advantages because your all up early in the morning whilst i'm still snug in bed :wink: Jeaulousy jealousy!!!:yum: Hey i'm all for this party..sounds rockin' to me .......but i'm with Ceroc Jock on the ceilidh idea.....get all the guys in kilts!!!! :wink:

So i take it Gus started this Party eh??? tut tut ....you still have to come up here for the champs you know!
Be afraid :D

filthycute x x

Gus
26th-July-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

i'm with Ceroc Jock on the ceilidh idea.....get all the guys in kilts!!!! :wink:

So i take it Gus started this Party eh??? tut tut ....you still have to come up here for the champs you know!
Be afraid :D

filthycute x x

Ah .. but no Filthy ... it is YOUR turn to be afraid! :reallymad ... I must confess that I'm as much Scottish as I am English and by right of lineage to the Copeland clan I am entitled to wear their kilt.

Be afraid ...be VERY afraid!

Tiggerbabe
27th-July-2002, 12:14 PM
Definitely sounds like a great idea!

I really enjoyed the party in Blackpool the night before the competition so a ceilidh would be brill! (We might just be able to tire them out Filthycute:devil: :devil: !)

There's bound to be some hotel in Edinburgh hosting something that night - I'll make enquiries.....................

Have fun folks, I'm off on my jolly hols:waycool:

But don't worry John S, I'm not going anywhere till I've had my revenge on you tonight:nice: :yum: :wink:

filthycute
29th-July-2002, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by Gus

Ah .. but no Filthy ... it is YOUR turn to be afraid! :reallymad ... I must confess that I'm as much Scottish as I am English and by right of lineage to the Copeland clan I am entitled to wear their kilt.

Be afraid ...be VERY afraid!

OO-ER!!!! Come on now, ....these English people thinking, just because they have the correct name, they have what it takes to wear our finest :really: I really think you should leave that kind of judging to the likes of us...ie: "filthycute & co." as you like to put it :wink: We have high expectations you know. So here's the catergories you'll be expected to compete in:

1/ The Highland Fling---- Strip the willow,The Gay gordons, Dashing White Sergeant.....Swing,jig,twirl,fling.....Impress!?:w ink: the choice is yours.

2/Solo Routine---This should be a medley of your favourite tracks, to last no longer than 4 mintues. Moves to include to REALLY impress the judges are....Cartwheels, Head-spins, numerous high kicks and of course the splits :D

3/ Knobbly Knees---The third and final round!...this is the most important catergory! Age , Mentality and hairyness will all be taken into consideration for this make or break round. Judges will be looking for evidence of improvement surgery, un-natural colouring of the hair and fake tan...so no cheating!:yum:

Think your up to the task Gus??:wink:
Get yer kilt on and let us decide

filthycute x x

filthycute
29th-July-2002, 03:16 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
(We might just be able to tire them out Filthycute:devil: :devil: !)

Well i'll sure as hell give it my best shot :wink:

filthycute x x

John S
29th-July-2002, 09:34 AM
Poor fc

At 3 in the morning you were thinking about Gus's hairy, knobbly knees, AND him doing a cartwheel while wearing a kilt. :sick:

No wonder you couldn't sleep.:what:

Jayne
29th-July-2002, 10:21 AM
Did someone mention men in kilts???? :grin:

Jayne

Gus
29th-July-2002, 10:40 AM

At 3 in the morning you were thinking about Gus's hairy, knobbly knees, AND him doing a cartwheel while wearing a kilt. :sick:
:

OY Who said I had knobbly knees???? Thats slander (possibly true but thats by the by). And whats all this about cartwheels in a kilt ... surely the laws of taste and decorum still apply?

Methinks that FC et al are asking for trouble!

Just a thought ... if the guys wear the kilts to entertain the women ... what do the women do for the men?:confused:

filthycute
29th-July-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Methinks that FC et al are asking for trouble!

Just a thought ... if the guys wear the kilts to entertain the women ... what do the women do for the men?:confused:

We never ask for trouble......it just manages to find it's way to us....i'm not quite sure why :what: :wink:
Well since you brought up the matter of "what wimmen wear" lets hear a few of your suggestions. I think me and jayne have made it clear we what the men in kilts so finish this sentence...

"We want women in......" :wink:
Repectable answers to this address :D

filthycute x x

Gus
29th-July-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by filthycute

Well since you brought up the matter of "what wimmen wear" lets hear a few of your suggestions. I think me and jayne have made it clear we what the men in kilts so finish this sentence...

"We want women in......" :wink:
Repectable answers to this address :D

filthycute x x

How about "We want women in......vast quantity, high quality ...... and minimal amount of coverage" or is that a trifle too racy for this time of day!

PS ... BUT plesae don't go commando ... I couldn't bear that conversation starting up again.

flashy
29th-July-2002, 04:18 PM
Shoes that don't draw blood....

John McAulay
1st-August-2002, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Definitely sounds like a great idea!

I really enjoyed the party in Blackpool the night before the competition so a ceilidh would be brill!

There's bound to be some hotel in Edinburgh hosting something that night - I'll make enquiries.....................

This Party Night sound Fantastic, well worth missing a party night in Aberdeen for ( on this occasion only).

One Man, a kilt, seven shirts and a few towels standing by:

NOW! Where's the Party!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards:waycool:

Tiggerbabe
3rd-August-2002, 12:44 PM
Right Gus and co. - here we go.

Elsie has told me that there is a ceilidh in The Caledonian Brewery on the 19th October - the only problem is that it has a concrete floor which is probably not the best idea the night before the championships.

She is still on her factfinding mission to discover any other options but this sounds promising at least.

Mmmmmmmmmm all these men in kilts - I'm away for a wee lie down........ :yum: :yum:

Scot
7th-August-2002, 05:00 PM
There are Pre-Comp Parties arranged see

www.ceroc.info (http://www.ceroc.info)

For details

However in summary they are on Sat the 19th in Aberdeen and Edinburgh