ChrisA
22nd-October-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Ok Ok, so who's going to this then?

If they'll have me..

Chris

Gus
22nd-October-2003, 06:30 PM
Methinks the lovely Helen Zambas will be attending ... and I think I'm being dragged along so I can try to learn how to dance again:waycool:

Sheepman
23rd-October-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Methinks the lovely Helen Zambas will be attending ... Hmmm - now that makes it very tempting.
But why do they have dance hols in the ski season?
:tears:

Greg

Grant
23rd-October-2003, 01:23 PM

Just out of interest :grin:
ok, ok, so who's going to tell the great unwashed where to find out more about it then?
just out of interest :grin:

grant

ChrisA
23rd-October-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Grant
ok, ok, so who's going to tell the great unwashed where to find out more about it then?
just out of interest :grin:

grant http://www.this-rocks.com

Grant
23rd-October-2003, 03:25 PM
thanks chris
:cheers:
grant

Gus
23rd-October-2003, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Hmmm - now that makes it very tempting.
But why do they have dance hols in the ski season?
:tears:

Greg

So that you can go to Dance and Ski hols!! Been on three now, hoping to go to the next one in March ... Got to say that, with the exception of the Rock Bottoms weekends, these holidays have the highest standard of dancers I'v eever come across.

Only slight problem is that I think its on at the same time as Blackpool Compettion, but if you aint competing its a pretty good place to be.

Paul F
24th-October-2003, 01:52 PM

Just out of interest :grin:

Sounds good. I miss my weekenders.

If its anything like the last RB weekender it will be fantastic.

Pammy
24th-October-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Paul F
If its anything like the last RB weekender it will be fantastic.

And the Wizard of Oz clicks his heels, and we all come running :wink: :grin:

Ahhhh, Toto :hug:

ChrisA
24th-October-2003, 02:21 PM
Wizard of Oz
Does the Wizard of Oz count as a fairy tale?

Chris

Paul F
24th-October-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA

Chris

Paul F
24th-October-2003, 07:52 PM

Chris

I have been told i dance like a fairy. If that helps ...:D :D

(sorry about the blank post) Got to keep my tally up some how :blush:

Emma
26th-October-2003, 11:11 AM
The website is down...:( Does anyone have the February IOW dates?

frodo
26th-October-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Emma
The website is down...:( Does anyone have the February IOW dates?
http://www.this-rocks.com is down, but http://www.jivelive.com/rockbottoms works:-

"Feb 2004 Isle of Wight 20th-23rd February 2004 all room types available just £109"

Emma
26th-October-2003, 04:45 PM
Hurrah, thanks :)

Sheepman
28th-October-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Gus
So that you can go to Dance and Ski hols!!

its on at the same time as Blackpool Compettion

There's the rub, but ski dance is especially recommended for the ladies, I hear that for the last 2 years, there were dozens of spare men on the dancefloor.

There is another ski dance option, on 25th January, though I've no idea what this will be like.
www.newquayjive.com

Greg

ChrisA
23rd-February-2004, 03:59 PM
Just got back from the IOW, just a little bit tired...

A cracking weekend, as ever... a huge thank you to the awesome RB team (Tor and Andy Fleming, our recent forum addition Hev, and some old geezer who DJs occasionally called Jon something or other) for doing so much as they always do to make the welcome incredibly warm, as well as making the whole weekend go like a well-oiled machine - and adding the little touches they always do.

There were quite a few new faces this time (my 5th one on the IOW), as well as familiar ones. The mix was good, though if anything slightly more biased towards the Lindy dancers than on previous occasions. This didn't detract significantly for me - the nights were plenty long enough to accommodate all.

Just a few of the highlights...

Finally met Emma - though to my shame, though I'd seen her pic on the forum, and danced with her several times over the weekend, I didn't link the face to the name until I was introduced this morning - just as everyone was leaving - doh!!!

So apols for that, Emma, must get some more dances next time...

Also met Gus' teaching and dancing partner Helen, another northerner I'm now hatching a plot to kidnap and drag away down south :devil:

I didn't do much in the way of workshops - mostly just Amir's, which were as thought-provoking as ever. Particularly liked the musicality and body styling ones.

His cabaret with Kate on Saturday was a huge treat. The very best I've seen them perform ever - "Hey big spender" and "All that jazz" were terrific. An absolutely mesmerising stage presence, and if you ever needed to learn what it means to make dancing "look big" for a performance, this was it.

Once Kate had finished her warmup act with Amir, she was back on again to do another little :devil: routine with our Official Sports Commentator.

...who proved his versatility once again by combining a showcase costume with the Sunday morning pajama party outfit - how can anyone top that??

Anyway, though I was expecting Kate to take Will's head off with the sword after all his remarks about her competing in the seniors, their Arabian routine sparkled just as much as we have come to expect. So thanks to them all for providing such terrific entertainment.

But commiserations to Kate, who fell when practising a new lift yesterday afternoon - hurt her lower back and was too sore to make it down to dinner.

So a big get well soon to her... :flower:

The freestyle was pretty luscious, as usual. Some lovely dancers, many fab dances, and some moderately late nights... JB finally knocked it on the head at 3am on friday, a bit after 5 on Sat, and about 4 this morning.

So I'm just a little concerned at Franck's comment to the effect that dancing will be till 2am at the next Beach Ballroom.... as if that's, er, late or something??? :devil: :tears:

Roll on Rocktober, and thanks again, Tor, Hev , Andy and JB, and all the fab dancers that make it such a blast for me.

Chris

Emma
23rd-February-2004, 05:02 PM
Rock Bottoms... what can I say? You've blown my mind, and won my heart :flower:

That was the most awesome dancing weekend I have experienced. Huge thanks to the team who made the whole event just so special - they worked incredibly hard and yet were so friendly and relaxed: the atmosphere was like a house party with 200 friends...no mean feat as Claire and I knew no-one at all when we shuffled nervously through the doors on Friday night :nice: ...but walking out this morning there were so many people to say goodbye to!

The workshops were fabulous, I feel as though I have learnt so much (now it's just a small question of actually remembering some of it :what: ). The dancing - wow, words fail me (unusual!)...I had so many *amazing* dances....(will probably be telling my grandchildren about dancing with Andy F on Sunday night...*woah* ) Chris - thanks so much for yours, next time I might even follow! :blush: How silly it seemed not have realised who each other was, we really need some sort of forum badge :nice:

Anyway, just can't wait to go back and do it all over again!! :cheers:

stompin' phil
23rd-February-2004, 05:24 PM
Totaly agree.
A great weekend and nice to see lots of faces i havn't seen for a while.

Thank you for your dances Emma.:kiss:

ChrisA
23rd-February-2004, 05:24 PM
Chris - thanks so much for yours, next time I might even follow! :blush:And thank you!!

Follow? You mean, I might lead next time. Remember... it's always the guy's fault :flower:

How silly it seemed not have realised who each other was, we really need some sort of forum badge :nice:
Indeed, a real "doh" moment. Sorry not to have hung around and chatted, I was in the middle of a major panic, having discovered that my jacket, with wallet, cheque book, credit cards and car keys had not been in my room for the whole night, and I was turning the hotel upside down in search.... happily I found it with all contents still present.... :cheers:

Till next time,

Chris

Emma
23rd-February-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by stompin' phil
Thank you for your dances Emma.
Ooooh - see, now I have to figure out who I met who is on the forum (hands up, everybody! :grin: ) I'm all excited....well, as excited as it's possible to be on 4 hours sleep....

Indeed, a real "doh" moment. Sorry not to have hung around and chatted, I was in the middle of a major panic, having discovered that my jacket, with wallet, cheque book, credit cards and car keys had not been in my room for the whole night, and I was turning the hotel upside down in search.... happily I found it with all contents still present.... :cheers: No worries, I wasn't exactly cohherent at that point anyhow :waycool: Glad you found your stuff! :nice:

stompin' phil
23rd-February-2004, 05:58 PM
Ooooh - see, now I have to figure out who I met who is on the forum (hands up, everybody! :grin: ) I'm all excited....well, as excited as it's possible to be on 4 hours sleep....I was the person who shared my fruit & nut chocolate with you while we chilled out with the sunday papers. (In the lounge of cause)
:wink:

Tiggerbabe
23rd-February-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by stompin' phil
I was the person who shared my fruit & nut chocolate
What? All that fun and you had chocolate too :clap: :clap: Can't wait for the April one now..............:drool:

Divissima
23rd-February-2004, 07:43 PM
Ooh, Sheena - will you be going to Brighton too?
Will be lovely to see you there. :clap:

TheTramp
23rd-February-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Divissima
Will be lovely to see you there. :clap: Do you want the bad news now?? :whistle:

Steve

Tiggerbabe
23rd-February-2004, 08:16 PM
Will be lovely to see you there. :clap:
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it, especially now I know they have chocolate :D - travelling down with Amanda, Monika - and A.N.Other - what was his name again? :wink:

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Trampy:
Do you want the bad news now?? Uh-oh!
What's the bad news, Steve? You're coming but you won't dance with me? :D

TheTramp
24th-February-2004, 12:46 AM
Uh-oh!
What's the bad news, Steve? You're coming but you won't dance with me? :D Oh. Do you really think that there's any chance that I won't dance with you Miss Divi??

Steve

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 12:53 AM
I consider my dance card well and truly marked! :waycool:

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 01:32 AM
the day after rB, U ARE SO TIRED,T HAT it's possbile to get verry drunk on hardly any wine at all.

aNother reason why it's such a grreat value weekend :D

Not that having to taxi tonight had anyything to so with it at all.... :angry:

Time for bed, methinkss.

Chisr

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 01:43 AM
You forgot to mention 'hic':hug:

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 10:51 AM
You forgot to mention 'hic':hug:
... after RB and no sleep during yesterday, followed by taxiing, two glasses of wine was all it took...

I could barely keep my eyes open...

Still, mostly restored this morning :nice:

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 11:09 AM
I'm detecting that it may be a good idea for me to book the Monday off work following RBs....

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 11:18 AM
I'm detecting that it may be a good idea for me to book the Monday off work following RBs....
Definitely. Don't even think of going to bed before the end of any night - just plan to be wasted on Monday.

The very best dancing of the night will be the last couple of hours; the floor will be clearer, the music less poppy, and it'll be the hard-core dancers that are left.

And you'll have the pick of the guys that are left

... jessies that they are :devil: , it's mostly the girls, not the guys, that head to bed before the end, so there are excess guys towards the end.

Chris

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Coolster:
jessies that they are , it's mostly the girls, not the guys, that head to bed before the endUh-oh, sounds like a plumage display to me.... :wink:

TheTramp
24th-February-2004, 11:27 AM
... jessies that they are :devil: , it's mostly the girls, not the guys, that head to bed before the end, so there are excess guys towards the end.Well, with Sheena down there in April, there'll definitely be at least one girl left. She's the female dancing equivalent of the duracell bunny (but with much better moves) :D

Unfortunately, of course, I'll still be there too. But I'll dance with anyone :whistle:

Steve

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 11:37 AM
Uh-oh, sounds like a plumage display to me.... :wink:
Not really, I just prefer dancing with women :D :D

Sheepman
24th-February-2004, 01:42 PM
- just plan to be wasted on Monday. And Tuesday if you're doing it right. (I'm not expecting to see many Bottom(er)s at Acton tonight.)

Greg

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 01:45 PM
And Tuesday if you're doing it right. (I'm not expecting to see many Bottom(ers) at Acton tonight.)

Rubbish. You're just getting old, Greg... :devil:

I stayed up till the bitter end every night - and I was taxiing last night - and I'll be there tonight.

Chris

TheTramp
24th-February-2004, 01:58 PM
:yeah:

Trampy

Sheepman
24th-February-2004, 02:35 PM
I stayed up till the bitter end every night - and I was taxiing last night - and I'll be there tonight. Sorry, I was forgetting, it sounds like a pretty lightweight w/e, finishing at 3am Friday, 5 on Saturday and only 4am Sunday? What were you doing to send all those women to bed early? :devil:

Greg

ChrisA
24th-February-2004, 02:44 PM
Sorry, I was forgetting, it sounds like a pretty lightweight w/e, finishing at 3am Friday, 5 on Saturday and only 4am Sunday? What were you doing to send all those women to bed early? :devil:

Coming from a guy who can do nothing but stand virtually still for 7 dances in a row with the same partner after 3am, and has the cheek to call it blues, I think this is a touch rich

:devil: :waycool: :whistle:

Divissima
24th-February-2004, 02:48 PM
Quick, quick everyone!!

Sheepy and ChrisA are squaring up for a cat-fight!!

Sheepman
25th-February-2004, 11:42 AM
Coming from a guy who can do nothing but stand virtually still for 7 dances in a row with the same partner after 3am, and has the cheek to call it blues, I didn't get any complaints about my musical interpretation! So what would you call it? :devil:

Greg

TheTramp
25th-February-2004, 11:50 AM
I didn't get any complaints about my musical interpretation! So what would you call it? :devil: But if she was asleep, then what do you expect??

Trampy

Sheepman
25th-February-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
But if she was asleep, Aha, I knew there was a reason I should have stopped talking :sad: :what:

Greg