PDA

View Full Version : MJ to classical music?

dep
7th-May-2008, 11:47 AM
Is "classical" music ever used at a Ceroc party night?

Are any "classical" pieces suitable for MJ style dancing?

We proudly declare that MJ in general and Ceroc in particular can be danced to any music at any function. What are the limits?

Discuss in fewer than 10,000 words.

CJ
7th-May-2008, 12:12 PM
It depends on what your view of "Classical" music is.

For example, would you consider "Tango to Evora" as a classical piece? Then there are of course contemporary classical music pieces: anything from Cage to the compositions from "Stomp". Any music from film scores, etc could also be termed as classical music.

There would be many pieces from the "Classical" era (approx 1745 to 1810) which would be great for MJ. Whilst I've never played one whilst DJing, I have MJ'd to this kind of music: The first movement to Mozart's 40th Symphony would be an obvious example.

Pieces from what is called the "Romantic" period (c1800- 1900) would be more challenging in terms of musicality and expression as they tend to have wider variations in tempi, dynamic and mood within one piece. Before the Romantic era, most music existed as a whole: a piece of music for it's own sake. The Romantic period introduced us to the notion of a piece of music actually being about something.

Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony (number III) was one of the first examples. It was originally dedicated to Napoleon, and if U see the original manuscript, you can see where Beethoven scored it off the manuscript. Other early examples were Berlioz' "Symphany Fantastique", etc... Because they were "about" something, they were much more exprerssive. So, space for interpretation would be vast, if somewhat challenging.

Most of the intellectual modernist contemporary classical pieces could be dismissed as dancable, if only for the fact that, aurally, they are not very accesible. However, composers such as Jenkins, Einaudi, etc have brought form and melody very much back to the fore.

As I'm getting close to my 10,000 words I refer the honorable gentleman to my earlier answer: which was yes.:D

gebandemuishond
9th-May-2008, 07:42 PM
It depends on what your view of "Classical" music is.

For example, would you consider "Tango to Evora" as a classical piece? Then there are of course contemporary classical music pieces: anything from Cage to the compositions from "Stomp". Any music from film scores, etc could also be termed as classical music.

There would be many pieces from the "Classical" era (approx 1745 to 1810) which would be great for MJ. Whilst I've never played one whilst DJing, I have MJ'd to this kind of music: The first movement to Mozart's 40th Symphony would be an obvious example.

Pieces from what is called the "Romantic" period (c1800- 1900) would be more challenging in terms of musicality and expression as they tend to have wider variations in tempi, dynamic and mood within one piece. Before the Romantic era, most music existed as a whole: a piece of music for it's own sake. The Romantic period introduced us to the notion of a piece of music actually being about something.

Beethoven's "Eroica" Symphony (number III) was one of the first examples. It was originally dedicated to Napoleon, and if U see the original manuscript, you can see where Beethoven scored it off the manuscript. Other early examples were Berlioz' "Symphany Fantastique", etc... Because they were "about" something, they were much more exprerssive. So, space for interpretation would be vast, if somewhat challenging.

Most of the intellectual modernist contemporary classical pieces could be dismissed as dancable, if only for the fact that, aurally, they are not very accesible. However, composers such as Jenkins, Einaudi, etc have brought form and melody very much back to the fore.

As I'm getting close to my 10,000 words I refer the honorable gentleman to my earlier answer: which was yes.:D

:yeah: Superb post.

I'd love to dance MJ to pre 1940 music, although I don't know how I'd cope with the Romantic stuff. For me, nothing two people holding hands can do would come close to doing justice to a Beethoven in full swing.

Saying that, I'd love to dance to contempory minimalistic composers such as CJ suggests (Einaudi et al.). I think I've already said how much of a revelation dancing to the music from The Piano was. It's so refreshing to dance to something where the beat is a much more integral part of the music, rather than a groove upon which the rest of the music is built on (Don't get me wrong, I love the textures and layerings of modern pop as well).

I see what most people would call 'classical' composers as a very frustrated bunch, always trying to push the boundaries and break the mold. Some of the results of that are, while fantastic pieces of music, pretty undanceable. I'd hate to try modern jiving to Wolf's "Prometheus", so I guess I'd say no, you can't MJ to any music at any function. However, there is a lot of scope for dancing to classical music which just isn't explored. DJs don't even have to be that adventurous - there's enough 'opera-pop' going round to get away with throwing in an Andrea Bocelli or two every now and then.

Dan

MartinHarper
9th-May-2008, 10:52 PM
We proudly declare that MJ in general and Ceroc in particular can be danced to any music at any function.

No, we don't.

straycat
9th-May-2008, 11:28 PM
Carmen.

(struggling to keep below the 10,000 word limit)

purplehyacinth
12th-May-2008, 10:56 PM
George Gershwin = early 20th C American composer - both classical and popular.

need I say more?

Beowulf
13th-May-2008, 08:22 AM
A Fifth of Beethoven anyone? Night on Disco Mountain perhaps? :wink: :whistle:

.. well I am a child of the 70's ;)

Dreadful Scathe
13th-May-2008, 08:53 AM
No, we don't.
Maybe Dep does, i want to see MJ danced to thrash-metal in the 2 foot of mud at an outdoor concert. That'd be funny :)

DavidY
13th-May-2008, 09:15 AM
A Fifth of Beethoven anyone? ...which was itself sampled in Robin Thicke's "When I Get You Alone" which was (or maybe is) quite often played when WCS folk are about.

dep
14th-May-2008, 10:05 AM
We proudly declare that MJ in general and Ceroc in particular can be danced to any music at any (dance) function.

No, we don't.

Maybe Dep does,Maybe I implied the royal "We" when in fact it might be restricted to a more personal "we" or I?

Note my edit to the original statement.

whitetiger1518
16th-May-2008, 01:32 PM
Mmmm, Interesting essays all round :worthy:

CJ if you find me somewhere where you are DJing, and you have either Beethoven's 3rd or Motzart's 40th in your CD collection, then I would be up for trying the dare in real time.

:hug:

Whitetiger

Daisy Chain
19th-May-2008, 12:19 PM
Not exactly classical music but "An Elephant Called Slowly" by Bert Kampfaert would work a treat. Radio 2 occasionally plays this and it always gets me bouncing round the kitchen.

Daisy

(A Classic Little FLower)

CJ
19th-May-2008, 10:36 PM
George Gershwin = early 20th C American composer - both classical and popular.

need I say more?

what? Like, "He's over rated"?? Please feel free to add that... as he most certainly is.

Stuart M
20th-May-2008, 12:03 PM
I've just had a mental* picture of a Ceroc beginners' class, going through the routine, to the strains of the "Dance of the Knights" from Prokofievs' Romeo and Juliet. With the ladies moving round 12 during the slow bit.

For anyone who doesn't know their classical, the Dance of the Knights (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dance_of_the_Knights) is the piece you always hear whenever a TV programme is showing heavy industrial machinery in action, or something about the USSR. Oh, and it's been the theme music for The Apprentice.

*in all senses of the word

Daisy Chain
20th-May-2008, 12:28 PM
I've just had a mental* picture

I've just had a mental picture of the the Jaws music playing between tracks as Cerocers slowly circle the edge of the dance floor whilst eyeing up their next partner.

Daisy

(A Jumpy Little Flower)

Stuart M
20th-May-2008, 02:23 PM
I've just had a mental picture of the the Jaws music playing between tracks as Cerocers slowly circle the edge of the dance floor whilst eyeing up their next partner.

Daisy

(A Jumpy Little Flower)

Which in turn brings to mind Neil Richardson's (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Richardson_%28composer%29) most famous work playing, when approaching the Refusal Row at certain venues....

EricD
24th-May-2008, 10:16 PM
We proudly declare that MJ in general and Ceroc in particular can be danced to any music at any function. What are the limits?

DJ Rob A. pushes the limits by 'segwaying (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQYywsjMj1c)' smoothly from flamenco into White Snake ...

I've always fancied a go at the Gigue from Bach's Partita No.1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmInR-VqqWk) since it was on Desert Island Discs a couple of months ago.

Anyone seen Disney's Fantasia recently ? I seem to remember some good musicality tracks there, and I was only 8 !

paul stevo
30th-May-2008, 09:42 PM
"Time To Say Goodbye" ... Sarah Brightman and Andrea Bocelli

We play this late on in an evening quite regularly