PDA

View Full Version : Swing Diego News and reviews....

FoxyFunkster
3rd-May-2008, 01:27 PM
Hot off the press....Paul and Cat are the newly crowned swing diego open strictly swing champions...an amazing performance.....more news to follow.....the novices are in action on sunday.....

FoxyFunkster
4th-May-2008, 03:00 PM
Hot off the press....Paul and Cat are the newly crowned swing diego open strictly swing champions...an amazing performance.....more news to follow.....the novices are in action on sunday.....

Finals day today........

The UK have
6 finalists in the Novice Jack and jill (Paul Harris, Steve Hunt, Steve Hall,Glen Roy, Sheila Mcdonald, Carron Douglas)
Caro has also made it to the final.......
1 finalist in the Intermediate JnJ (Lee easton)
2 finalists in the Advanced (Paul and Cat)

Results to follow................

FunkyAngel
4th-May-2008, 05:18 PM
Finals day today........

The UK have
6 finalists in the Novice Jack and jill (Paul Harris, Steve Hunt, Steve Hall,Glen Roy, Sheila Mcdonald, Carron Douglas)

Great news..... So what are the final results then?

Thanks for making the effort to keep those of us who couldn't make
it out there up-to-date about the results.

Ellen

robd
4th-May-2008, 05:31 PM
Finals day today........

The UK have

Good luck to all!

Don't forget the reverse triple Harris!

FoxyFunkster
4th-May-2008, 06:26 PM
Great news..... So what are the final results then?

Thanks for making the effort to keep those of us who couldn't make
it out there up-to-date about the results.

Ellen

we are 8 hours behind over here.....finals don`t start until 10pm GMT or 2pm local time.....prelims and semi finals were friday and saturday....will post as soon as results are known....

robd
4th-May-2008, 06:39 PM
we are 8 hours behind over here.....finals don`t start until 10pm GMT or 2pm local time.....prelims and semi finals were friday and saturday....will post as soon as results are known....

Steve

How many are in the finals at each category? That's a hell of a UK showing if it's a 6 couple final.

More importantly, is Royston doing the MCing and will he introduce you to the floor again???

Rob

FoxyFunkster
5th-May-2008, 04:00 AM
Steve

How many are in the finals at each category? That's a hell of a UK showing if it's a 6 couple final.

More importantly, is Royston doing the MCing and will he introduce you to the floor again???

Rob

Jack and Jill Results.....

Novice......13 finalists from 100 couples
Steve Hunt and Carron came 2nd
Paul Harris and Partner came 3rd

Intermediate....8 finalists from 60 couples
Lee easton and partner came 1st by a street......

Advanced 13 finalists from 40 couples
Paul Warden placed 2nd.....

Royston wasn`t MCing....we did all get the big FROM LONDON ENGLAND build up though....followed by HUGE cheering from the UK crowd.....

Rhythm King
5th-May-2008, 06:04 AM
:clap: Yay - well done the Brits (and French :wink: )

R-K

Little Miss
5th-May-2008, 12:18 PM
Wow - what fantastic results! We knew we were seeing some special dancing at Weston and clearly we were right - well done everyone!

Minnie M
5th-May-2008, 01:53 PM
Jack and Jill Results.....

Novice......13 finalists from 100 couples
Steve Hunt and Carron came 2nd
Paul Harris and Partner came 3rd

Intermediate....8 finalists from 60 couples
Lee easton and partner came 1st by a street......

Advanced 13 finalists from 40 couples
Paul Warden placed 2nd..........

:respect: :clap: Well done - fab news :yeah:

robd
5th-May-2008, 02:54 PM
Well done Steve & Co - 100 couples, that's a hell of a cut - esp. as I think Swing Diego is one of the premier events over there so the standard is higher than at some others.

Sparkles
5th-May-2008, 07:24 PM
Congratulations too all who competed - you've done so well :clap:.

Paul F
6th-May-2008, 12:20 PM
Congrats everyone :clap:

Great to hear that the Brits are taking over :grin:

johnnyman
6th-May-2008, 04:30 PM
Fantastic news for all concerned.

Well done

best
johnnyman

:clap::respect:

HelenB
6th-May-2008, 04:48 PM
Congratulations to all that competed:clap:

Go UK, Go UK, Go UK....

Caro
6th-May-2008, 10:22 PM
well I am just back and thought I would post a quick review before hitting my bed for some 24 hours of much needed sleep :sick:

What a fantastic event.

I think the thing that really made it for me was the huge UK (some 35 or so) and French (a dozen) crowds. The cheering was amazing and I am so glad we made the old continent look so good at the event: in the Novice JnJ finals we had 9 Europeans (some of whom took 2, 3 and 5th places), Lee won intermediate and Paul and Cat made it to Advanced finals and also won the Open Strictly - now that's a hell of an achievement. :respect:

I think it's the event with the highest number of pros and allstars - the standard of dancing I thought was the best I have ever seen (even better than Boogie). The finals were a real treat to watch.

Social dancing went on until 6 am every night, it was amazing.

Venue and floor were brilliant, but that's to be expected in the US.

I think we really put the UK (and France to a lesser degree) on the WCS map at the event, not sure the Americans realised what happened !

To answer your question Rob, yes we were all announced on the floor with our city and country from the semi finals onwards (there were even more UK peeps in the semi of Novice, Alex R, John N, Dawn R, were in there too and probably some more I forgot - sorry).
It was a little weird for me to be from 'London, England', so I have decided next time I'll write I am from London, France :na:

Personally I was over the moon to be in the finals, even though slightly disappointed not to place (that's the understatement of the year: I got last :tears: When I asked feedback to one of the judges, he said: 'I'm really sorry. This guy should have never been in finals' - thanks for that. I suppose 13th out of 92 isn't so bad anyway).

The only thing I wonder now is: what's going to be my next event ? I can't wait. I'm going to Summer Hummer in Boston (aug 22nd) and Dallas Dance (aug 29) but am considering an event before that... there seems to be reasonably cheap tickets to Denver for Swingtime in the Rockies (June 12th)... Anybody tempted ? :whistle:

Oh and by the way in case you wondered, yes I am typing this from my new macbook ;)

FoxyFunkster
7th-May-2008, 02:53 AM
well I am just back and thought I would post a quick review before hitting my bed for some 24 hours of much needed sleep :sick:

What a fantastic event.

I think the thing that really made it for me was the huge UK (some 35 or so) and French (a dozen) crowds. The cheering was amazing and I am so glad we made the old continent look so good at the event: in the Novice JnJ finals we had 9 Europeans (some of whom took 2, 3 and 5th places), Lee won intermediate and Paul and Cat made it to Advanced finals and also won the Open Strictly - now that's a hell of an achievement. :respect:

I think it's the event with the highest number of pros and allstars - the standard of dancing I thought was the best I have ever seen (even better than Boogie). The finals were a real treat to watch.

Social dancing went on until 6 am every night, it was amazing.

Venue and floor were brilliant, but that's to be expected in the US.

I think we really put the UK (and France to a lesser degree) on the WCS map at the event, not sure the Americans realised what happened !

To answer your question Rob, yes we were all announced on the floor with our city and country from the semi finals onwards (there were even more UK peeps in the semi of Novice, Alex R, John N, Dawn R, were in there too and probably some more I forgot - sorry).
It was a little weird for me to be from 'London, England', so I have decided next time I'll write I am from London, France :na:

Personally I was over the moon to be in the finals, even though slightly disappointed not to place (that's the understatement of the year: I got last :tears: When I asked feedback to one of the judges, he said: 'I'm really sorry. This guy should have never been in finals' - thanks for that. I suppose 13th out of 92 isn't so bad anyway).

The only thing I wonder now is: what's going to be my next event ? I can't wait. I'm going to Summer Hummer in Boston (aug 22nd) and Dallas Dance (aug 29) but am considering an event before that... there seems to be reasonably cheap tickets to Denver for Swingtime in the Rockies (June 12th)... Anybody tempted ? :whistle:

What about...grand nationals in Atlanta in 2 weeks time or Phoenix in the 1st week of july.....???? SH and boston are too close to SSS in montpellier for some!!!! decisions decisions decisions......

Lory
7th-May-2008, 09:09 AM
Oh and by the way in case you wondered, yes I am typing this from my new macbook ;)

Yep, we 'all' wondered ;) :rofl:

Sounds like you all had a fabulous time!

Congratulations to everyone who competed and especially to Cat, Paul and Lee :clap::worthy:

Caro
7th-May-2008, 09:28 AM
What about...grand nationals in Atlanta in 2 weeks time or Phoenix in the 1st week of july.....???? SH and boston are too close to SSS in montpellier for some!!!! decisions decisions decisions......

Atlanta - it's shag and wcs and there's only one Open JnJ (i.e. no novice). It's the second event pros want to win after the Open so not sure the atmosphere will be that relaxed and social....
Phoenix - would love to but I'm away for work. Plus flights are over 450... :sick:

robd
7th-May-2008, 09:31 AM

Well done to all those semi finalists too :clap:

I think we'll know UK WCS has arrived for sure when we have people from the USA coming over for Weston :grin:

Who won the pro divisions, classics, JnJ, etc?

Caro
7th-May-2008, 10:09 AM
Who won the pro divisions, classics, JnJ, etc?

All the results here (http://www.swingsandiego.com/results2008.html). I expect some vids will be there shortly too.
The level in Advanced (which was combined with Allstars) was quite incredible, I'd say that some performances were even better than in the champ (i.e. the pros) category.

Kyle and Sarah won the champs JnJ, Ben and Tat the champ strictly.
J&T won Classics, followed by Ben and Melina and Michael and Jen (with a brand new routine).

mikeyr
7th-May-2008, 12:22 PM
The only thing I wonder now is: what's going to be my next event ? I can't wait. I'm going to Summer Hummer in Boston (aug 22nd) and Dallas Dance (aug 29) but am considering an event before that... there seems to be reasonably cheap tickets to Denver for Swingtime in the Rockies (June 12th)... Anybody tempted ?

Congrats to everyone at San Diego! An awsome showing:respect: and continuing to build on the sucesses the Brits(and French) have had already so far this year, if we can carry it through fro the rest of the year it really will be something:clap:

I Am already Booked in for Dallas and Denver:clap::clap:, Both look to be top class events and I have been told, albeit by someone from Texas that Dallas is the place to be:eek:. However for me both are AANCE qualifiers which is my goal for this year.

Denver still seems relatively good value on the flights given the time of year, so hopefully see some of you out there:waycool:

Smiley Sue
7th-May-2008, 06:09 PM
I am SO tempted....
Caro, PM me some details of costs & which dates you were thinking of flying, if you think you could share with me...
Sx

Caro
7th-May-2008, 07:20 PM
I am SO tempted....
Caro, PM me some details of costs & which dates you were thinking of flying, if you think you could share with me...
Sx

I'll post it here in case others are interested: flights to Denver with United at 327 pounds (Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com)), out thursday 12/06 and back leaving monday 16/06 (arriving at heathrow at 7 am on tuesday - i.e. in time for work :innocent: ).
Event details here (http://www.denverswing.com/).

Hotel room at $134 per night - looking for 3 roomies to bring the cost down.

Paul F
7th-May-2008, 10:38 PM
(arriving at heathrow at 7 am on tuesday - i.e. in time for work :innocent: ).

:rofl: Thats what I used to do :rofl:

Caro
7th-May-2008, 10:40 PM
:rofl: Thats what I used to do :rofl:

Never too late to get back into your old habits you know :whistle:

FoxyFunkster
8th-May-2008, 01:46 AM
I'll post it here in case others are interested: flights to Denver with United at 327 pounds (Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com (http://www.kayak.com)), out thursday 12/06 and back leaving monday 16/06 (arriving at heathrow at 7 am on tuesday - i.e. in time for work :innocent: ).
Event details here (http://www.denverswing.com/).

Hotel room at $134 per night - looking for 3 roomies to bring the cost down.

i`m in! was looking at phoenix however the flights are £600 plus everything else.....so denver seems a better option with others going also.....

Paul F
8th-May-2008, 09:33 AM
Never too late to get back into your old habits you know :whistle:

I dont think so :sick:

I have done my stints of travelling for weekends to the states. Enjoybale, but expensive and tiring. Got other things to spend my money on now :D

Caro
8th-May-2008, 12:24 PM
I'll post it here in case others are interested: flights to Denver with United at 327 pounds

Just checked again today: flights are at 290 pounds with NWA !!! :clap:

Msfab
8th-May-2008, 09:06 PM
Heres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yHck7bRY3U) the highlight reel.

Cool event! Unlike some my pocket is only so big, plus Ive come back with swollen feet and ankles from the flight. Im looking at an event in October/November preferably on the east coast. Either Tampa bay Classic or swinging new england.

kpmooney
8th-May-2008, 09:59 PM
I have occasionally lurked on this forum since I first found it via a google search on the subject of modern jive. It was MJ that got me into dancing, but unfortunately, there is scant opportunity to dance it where I am so I've largely turned to WCS instead. This was my first SwingDiego, and I was surprised by the number of Brits willing to travel 6000 miles to attend a dance event, and the general quality they displayed in the competitions. I was doubly surprised to sign onto the forum and find that several of you were there. had I known people from here would be in attendance, I would have stopped by and introduced myself. Maybe I'll run into you all at future WCS events.

Caro
8th-May-2008, 10:12 PM
It was MJ that got me into dancing, but unfortunately, there is scant opportunity to dance it where I am so I've largely turned to WCS instead.

Do you live in heaven ? ;)

This was my first SwingDiego, and I was surprised by the number of Brits willing to travel 6000 miles to attend a dance event, and the general quality they displayed in the competitions. I was doubly surprised to sign onto the forum and find that several of you were there. had I known people from here would be in attendance, I would have stopped by and introduced myself. Maybe I'll run into you all at future WCS events.

Well at the next event I'll be the 'Brit' from London, France :grin:
Come and say hello.

And welcome to the forum :flower:

kpmooney
8th-May-2008, 11:31 PM
Do you live in heaven ? ;)

When it comes to great weather and West Coast Swing, yes, very much so. I live just outside of Los Angeles.

Well at the next event I'll be the 'Brit' from London, France :grin:
Come and say hello.I will keep an eye out for someone from London, France.

Geordieed
9th-May-2008, 08:50 AM
Heres (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yHck7bRY3U) the highlight reel.

Very cool to see Paul and Cat included on the highlight reel. It is good to see the family of European dancers were received so warmly across the pond...

Moon-Fr
10th-May-2008, 03:51 AM
Hi all,
congratulations for all, very great !
:respect:

Caro
10th-May-2008, 04:04 PM
Just checked again today: flights are at 290 pounds with NWA !!! :clap:

Believe it or not, I booked my flights today and got them for 250 pounds... comparatively in hours of travel, it's cheaper than the bus ! :grin:

FoxyFunkster
12th-May-2008, 08:43 AM
Believe it or not, I booked my flights today and got them for 250 pounds... comparatively in hours of travel, it's cheaper than the bus ! :grin:

it`s cheaper than train travel to scotland and back! the worlds gone barmy....

Geordieed
15th-May-2008, 01:36 PM
Runners and Riders are being shown:

Competition Results :: SwingDiego 2008 (http://www.swingdiego.net/results2008.html)

robd
15th-May-2008, 02:27 PM
Runners and Riders are being shown:

Competition Results :: SwingDiego 2008 (http://www.swingdiego.net/results2008.html)

These don't seem to be linked from the results page yet :confused:

Paul & Cat (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSmI0x7YXuk)

Lee Easton & Cathy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK_WManuAGs)

Caro
23rd-May-2008, 09:25 AM
Just noticed that our points are now in the system (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/registry_search.asp) :clap:

(still nothing from Weston though :rolleyes: )