PDA

View Full Version : Wii fit - useful for dancers ?

Caro
25th-April-2008, 01:23 PM
So I understand that the wii fit has been released (or is about to or something like that - I don't really follow that kind of stuff).

Anyway I saw a commercial where it explains how it works. It drew my attention when it started explaining that it could help you develop your balance. I thought that could be really interesting and possibly useful for those who dance (i.e. spins etc).

Has anybody tried it ? What do you think ? And in particular, do you really think it would help developping balance and core strength ? :confused:

Gav
25th-April-2008, 01:35 PM
I don't know about any of that, but I popped into Tesco on the way back from dancing last night and at 11:30, there was a queue of about 100 people waiting for the Wii fit till to open at midnight.
The woman on my till said that they started queuing about 10:30.
It might be good, but surely that's just a little sad? :sick:

killingtime
25th-April-2008, 03:06 PM
Has anybody tried it ? What do you think ? And in particular, do you really think it would help developping balance and core strength ? :confused:

I think it could help; seems to me that a lot of the exercises are designed, as you say, to improve balance. But if you were a motivated individual who was attempting to work on core strength anyways (through yoga, pilates or such) then I doubt it would particularly bring much benefit to you.

StokeBloke
25th-April-2008, 04:32 PM
If you can't get a copy of that..... you could try to get hold of THIS (http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/superpiipii.html). :rofl:

dep
25th-April-2008, 05:11 PM
when did the spelling change from we?

Nessiemonster
25th-April-2008, 05:21 PM
We? :confused: I thought it was so named as it originated in the northeast of England... :wink:

Steven666
25th-April-2008, 07:52 PM
I had every intention of getting it but seeing as I play on my wii from lying in bed, I don't think it would be practical given my playing layout. As for balance, any sort of work on it should improve it over time. Practice makes perfect, apparantly.

Edit - posted via the Wii's internet channel, lol.

straycat
25th-April-2008, 09:46 PM
We? :confused: I thought it was so named as it originated in the northeast of England... :wink:
Which is why I never felt silly walking into a shop asking to buy a Nintendo Wayaye...

Whereas for the Scots, throwing a wee fit now takes on a whole new meaning...

Red Lory
26th-April-2008, 08:29 PM
I've never tried, but I'd like to give it... a twirl!

;)

Scotch Bonnet
26th-April-2008, 09:49 PM
I've never tried, but I'd like to give it... a twirl!

;)

Bought it yesterday,but had to wait for my son to set it up for me !!!:really: Not a great start.Things got worse, it takes your details , tells you your BMI,then what your fit age is.:rofl:.....NOT good,and sorry can't share that info,lets just say I am mortified and really need to get Fit.....:yeah:
Was good fun though,I did an aerobics class,some balance training,you had to do a ski run,my son and I had good fun competing with each other,my balance was rubbish and I kept crashing into the posts.I have told it I want to lose 2Ibs per week,again not a good start,after putting my details in this morning after an afernoon of exercise,I thought I would have another look at my BMI ,I had put a 1Ib on !!!!:mad:
We'll see what next week brings from it,or will it end up like the bike machine(now a clothes horse),the bouncy ball thing(now deflated)keep fit dvd's(mmm) ,who know's ??
Just need to do some more dancing !!:awe:

jeanie
26th-April-2008, 10:30 PM
,I thought I would have another look at my BMI ,I had put a 1Ib on !!!!:mad:

*so* glad I'm not the only one!! Having thrashed my dad at the ski jump, footie & yoga (but that's not difficult) I must say I'm enjoying the wii fit. I suffer really badly with bad posture & having a 'target' balance area def helps :D

Now I just have to keep my motivition going and practice my press ups!! :blush:
:whistle:

~*~Saligal~*~
28th-April-2008, 07:15 AM
If you can't get a copy of that..... you could try to get hold of THIS (http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/superpiipii.html). :rofl: Goodness me! I wouldn't be surprised if there were virtual versions of other things using the wii as an appendage

Steven666
28th-April-2008, 09:24 AM
OK, not exactly the right thread but has anyone else got Mario Kart Wii?

straycat
28th-April-2008, 09:44 AM

Yep :waycool:

Caro
28th-April-2008, 10:01 AM

Mario Kart as in the game I used to play about 15 years ago (:eek:) on super nintendo ?

lol I used to love that game ! Is it any good on wii then ? Do you play with a wheel thingy ? :confused:

straycat
28th-April-2008, 10:09 AM
Mario Kart as in the game I used to play about 15 years ago (:eek:) on super nintendo ?

lol I used to love that game ! Is it any good on wii then ? Do you play with a wheel thingy ? :confused:

Yes, yes and yes :wink:

Caro
28th-April-2008, 10:24 AM
Yes, yes and yes

damn it. Does this mean I'm going to have to get a wii then ?
(and if I do, will I need to fly my brothers over so that we can start the races where we've left them 15 years ago? I'm sure I was winning...)

Let's see...

why I should not get one:
- I could use my time better :rolleyes:
- I could use my money better :rolleyes:
- it's just a silly gadget that I'll get bored off quickly :rolleyes:
- video games are for prepubescent male teens :devil:
- I have enough addictions as is :eek:

I wonder how long this is going to outweigh the 'this sounds like a lot of fun...' :whistle:

Steven666
28th-April-2008, 11:24 AM
damn it. Does this mean I'm going to have to get a wii then ?
(and if I do, will I need to fly my brothers over so that we can start the races where we've left them 15 years ago? I'm sure I was winning...)

Let's see...

why I should not get one:
- I could use my time better :rolleyes:
- I could use my money better :rolleyes:
- it's just a silly gadget that I'll get bored off quickly :rolleyes:
- video games are for prepubescent male teens :devil:
- I have enough addictions as is :eek:

I wonder how long this is going to outweigh the 'this sounds like a lot of fun...' :whistle:

Arggghhhhh...resists urge to neg rep...

Steven666
28th-April-2008, 11:26 AM

I do and I prefer it with the wheel. Though it's not necessary to do so.

As for the game, it's one of the better in the series, if not the best IMO.

Online play is ace, no need to fly whoever over to play!

Caro
28th-April-2008, 11:31 AM
Arggghhhhh...resists urge to neg rep...

is it the prepubescent male teen part that hit a spot ? :confused:

lighten up dude, heard of irony ? clearly I'm about to get one, and I have little in common with a prepubescent male teen :rolleyes: (except may be a wii, soon ;) )

Steven666
28th-April-2008, 11:59 AM

lighten up dude, heard of irony ? clearly I'm about to get one, and I have little in common with a prepubescent male teen :rolleyes: (except may be a wii, soon ;) )

It was really the first four points made but I do write in jest.

jeanie
28th-April-2008, 04:14 PM

Def need to get one! I love the hula hoop game, try not to let the neighbours see you and snigger while you rotate your hips.... Having getting the pleasure of unlocking new muscle workouts, I'm now paying the price of having actually exercised! I really love hoe it helps you maintain your stability, so you know now if you're doing things properly.