PDA

View Full Version : Dance Partner wanted Leeds Area - more info

Bardsey
20th-October-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi

I would really like to have a regular dancing partner. I go to St Chads, Hedingley, Leeds on Monday, I am starting (hopefully) tomorrow evening at Tadcaster and I also go to The Engine Shed at Wetherby on Wednesday.

Any interest out there?

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 01:55 PM
Hiya

Can I suggest that just as a first, you might say whether you are male or female, or at least put which gender you are looking for :na:

You might then want to include some general details about yourself. At the very least, the amount of experience you've had, what (you think) your style is, and the sort of music that you prefer dancing to. I'm sure that you could think of lots of other bits of information that prospective partners might find usefull when deciding too. Think about what you'd like to know about your prospective partners.... :D

Steve

Bardsey
20th-October-2003, 02:01 PM
Thank you Steve for the advice. I just did a quick ad cos I'm new to this and wasn't even sure it would be posted. I'll do another and give more details. I think my name, Jill, is a dead give away though, that I'm female.....lol

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 02:04 PM
Ah. Sorry. To be honest, I guess I never read what's in people's signatures, so I didn't even notice that, so fair enough, and I have to say, that my first impression of the name 'Bardsey', was that it was more of a male name :sorry

But a little more info might be good :D

Steve

Bardsey
20th-October-2003, 03:05 PM
Ooops sorry! Just had it pointed out to me that I should include more info. So here goes:-

As you will see from my name, I'm female and live near Wetherby in West Yorkshire. I'm 5' 6" tall, slim and reasonably fit. I go to St Chad's at Headingley, Leeds on Monday evenings, hopefully starting at Tadcaster on Tuesday (tomorrow) and I go to The Engine Shed on Wednesday. I also go to the Freestyle Jive at Engine Shed every other Friday usually and most Saturdays to the over 30's disco also at the Engine Shed, where a lot of jivers go.

I dance at intermediate stage and can follow most moves that I haven't done before fairly easily with a man who is a reasonably strong lead.

I love doing different moves, especially drops and seducers etc and I'd really like to go to a drops and seducers workshop and also a Blues workshop, but unfortunately you really need a partner for those workshops, especially the Blues. Hence the quest for a regular partner.

Anyone out there interested?

:kiss:

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 03:08 PM
Sounds great.

Wish I was nearer Leeds :D

Steve

Gus
20th-October-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Hi

I would really like to have a regular dancing partner.

Jill, suggest you speak to one of the instructors, e.g. Zambass or young Sarah .. or Louise on the door. I know there is a bit of a shortage of good male leads but they may be able to suggest one.

May get chance to catch you for a dance next time I'm across if you're still available.:D

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 09:18 AM
Hi Gus

Thanks for your reply. Zambass? Don't know who that is, but I know Sarah and Louise. The Instructors at the moment seem to be Helen and Alan. There was a guy down from Scotland at St Chads last night called Bill. He did the demo with Helen when she taught the intermediate class. Excellent dancer. I managed to catch him for a couple of dances, very bluesy. Phew!

Let me know when you're in my area and we can strut our stuff on the dancefloor.....lol

Thanks again Gus

Chicklet
21st-October-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Gus
There was a guy down from Scotland at St Chads last night called Bill.

young guy with red hair???

only likes the fast stuff??

quite jerky??

no eye contact??

scruffy dresser??

TheTramp
21st-October-2003, 09:57 AM
Hi Gus

Thanks for your reply. Zambass? Don't know who that is, but I know Sarah and Louise. The Instructors at the moment seem to be Helen and Alan. There was a guy down from Scotland at St Chads last night called Bill. He did the demo with Helen when she taught the intermediate class. Excellent dancer. I managed to catch him for a couple of dances, very bluesy. Phew!

Let me know when you're in my area and we can strut our stuff on the dancefloor.....lol

Thanks again Gus Ummm. It's Helen Zambass.

Gus was just being his usual polite self :wink:

Steve

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 10:00 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply. If you're referring to Bill from Scotland then no, definitely doesn't answer that description :drool: , but if you meant Zambass then I don't know anyone who fits your description (thank God..... :rofl: )

Sorry for being a bit thick. Which one did you mean?

TheTramp
21st-October-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi

Thanks for your reply. If you're referring to Bill from Scotland then no, definitely doesn't answer that description :drool: , but if you meant Zambass then I don't know anyone who fits your description (thank God..... :rofl: )

Sorry for being a bit thick. Which one did you mean? Oh yeah. Ignore Chicklet too :)

She meant Bill. But was trying to be funny :wink:

Steve

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 10:05 AM
Hi Steve

Oh right......said I was thick, didn't I? I spoke to Bill about this Forum last night and told him I had conversed (oooooh posh word) with you. He knew who you were.

Thanks for your help, you're turning into my mentor !

TheTramp
21st-October-2003, 10:11 AM
Oh right......said I was thick, didn't I? I spoke to Bill about this Forum last night and told him I had conversed (oooooh posh word) with you. He knew who you were.Yeah. He knows who I am :na:

But don't believe a word of what he told you about me. It's all lies I tell you :wink:

Steve

Chicklet
21st-October-2003, 10:28 AM
Sorry Jill,

flippant attempt to take p*** out of Bill NOT your good self !!!
( I put the bit where you mention him in the quote).

he's a lovely bloke and a lovely dancer who likes a good post here every now and again too....glad you enjoyed your dance!

and Steve's alright too I guess:what:

C:D

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TheTramp
Yeah. He knows who I am :na:

But don't believe a word of what he told you about me. It's all lies I tell you :wink:

Steve

Sounds like you have a rare old time up in Scotland. I'll have to keep my ears open about any coming weekend dance thingy's and get myself up there sometime.

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
Sorry Jill,

flippant attempt to take p*** out of Bill NOT your good self !!!
( I put the bit where you mention him in the quote).

he's a lovely bloke and a lovely dancer who likes a good post here every now and again too....glad you enjoyed your dance!

and Steve's alright too I guess:what:

C:D Its okay Chicklet (what's your real name?) I did realise you were just having a laugh, just not sure if it was aimed at Bill or Zambass (who the hell is Zambass anyway????).

Chicklet
21st-October-2003, 10:50 AM
Helen Zambass.

Is your teacher Helen a petite dark haired lady who's a stunning dancer with (from memory) a stunning set of outfits??

If so think this might be one and the same!.

C (real name also begins with C but doesn't get used on here as I'm in disguise!!):D

Tiggerbabe
21st-October-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
young guy with red hair???

only likes the fast stuff??

quite jerky??

no eye contact??

scruffy dresser??
Oh Gawd! It's our Bill...........:rofl:

Tiggerbabe
21st-October-2003, 11:00 AM
Sounds like you have a rare old time up in Scotland. I'll have to keep my ears open about any coming weekend dance thingy's and get myself up there sometime.

Not one to repeat myself but...............Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, 22nd November............watch this space :wink:

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Oh Gawd! It's our Bill...........:rofl:

Yup ! It certainly was. What a dancer, I was quite smitten with him smouldering Blues style....lol

:D

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 11:03 AM
Ummm. It's Helen Zambass.

Gus was just being his usual polite self :wink:

Steve

Oh right ! Thanks for clearing that up, I had this picture in my head of a Zulu..... :rofl:

Bill
21st-October-2003, 01:48 PM
Yup ! It certainly was. What a dancer, I was quite smitten with him smouldering Blues style....lol

:D

Thanks Jill - I had a great time last night and was lovely to dance on stage with Helen (Zambas!!). Thoroughly enjoyed our dances - especially the Kirsty McColl track.

I would imagine you'll have little trouble in finding someone to 'blues' with as you obviously enjoy it and follow beautifully.

Just as well I took my red wig odd and stopped my usual jumping around - I'm well known for dancing to really fast tracks back home and refusing to slow down :na: :D ).

Looking forward to Nantwich tonight then Hipsters tomorrow and think it's back to Nantwich on Thursday. Aren't holidays great !!!! :cheers:

Bardsey
21st-October-2003, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Bill
Thanks Jill - I had a great time last night and was lovely to dance on stage with Helen (Zambas!!). Thoroughly enjoyed our dances - especially the Kirsty McColl track.

I would imagine you'll have little trouble in finding someone to 'blues' with as you obviously enjoy it and follow beautifully.

Just as well I took my red wig odd and stopped my usual jumping around - I'm well known for dancing to really fast tracks back home and refusing to slow down :na: :D ).

Looking forward to Nantwich tonight then Hipsters tomorrow and think it's back to Nantwich on Thursday. Aren't holidays great !!!! :cheers:

Thanks for the compliment, Bill. Yes I do enjoy the "up close and personal" type of dancing, but I also enjoy the fast stuff too. Only problem I have is that I sweat so much through my head (no comments please....lol) that I end up looking as if I've just got out of the shower!!!! Strange really, as the rest of my body stays nicely dry. think I'll have to start carrying a hairdryer round with me :rofl:

I had an email this morning from one of guys who was there last night, saying how great we looked dancing that slow track. That's definitely made me more determined to get to the Blues stuff if I can.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and hope to bump into you again some time.

Fran
21st-October-2003, 09:37 PM

I had an email this morning from one of guys who was there last night, saying how great we looked dancing that slow track. That's definitely made me more determined to get to the Blues stuff if I can.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday and hope to bump into you again some time.

well I may be baised of course, :devil: but hes definatley one of the best men to blues with:wink:

fran

Gus
21st-October-2003, 11:57 PM

Looking forward to Nantwich tonight ......

So lets get this straight ... you came all the way down to Manchester ..... and while there was a choice of a venue (Blitz Bowden) with loads of great dancers, good music, only 10 minutes from where you were staying, Gus teaching on stage and Helen (Zambass) in the audience you chose to go to somewhere with none of the above :confused: :confused:

And your reason would be ????????:devil: :devil: :devil:

Bardsey
22nd-October-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Fran
well I may be baised of course, :devil: but hes definatley one of the best men to blues with:wink:

fran

Biased? Is Bill your partner? If so then thanks for the loan of him to Yorkshire for the evening. Dancing with him has certainly made me even more interested in going further, as in looking for a Blues workshop etc.

TheTramp
22nd-October-2003, 10:21 AM
Biased? Is Bill your partner?Oh yeah. Didn't you see the large 'Property of Fran' label sticking out of his underpants??? :D

Steve

Bardsey
22nd-October-2003, 10:24 AM
Oh yeah. Didn't you see the large 'Property of Fran' label sticking out of his underpants??? :D

Steve

Well with someone who dances like he does (and is such a nice guy to boot) then I'm not surprised he's got someone's stamp on him.

Awwww I want one of those......:tears:

Bardsey
22nd-October-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Gus
So lets get this straight ... you came all the way down to Manchester ..... and while there was a choice of a venue (Blitz Bowden) with loads of great dancers, good music, only 10 minutes from where you were staying, Gus teaching on stage and Helen (Zambass) in the audience you chose to go to somewhere with none of the above :confused: :confused:

And your reason would be ????????:devil: :devil: :devil:

Just looked at your profile Gus and see that you list Leeds as one of your venues. Next time you're coming to St Chad's, let me know and I'll grab you for a dance.

Fran
22nd-October-2003, 03:32 PM
Oh yeah. Didn't you see the large 'Property of Fran' label sticking out of his underpants??? :D

Steve

was it a silver glittery one to match my new shoes???? - would have been embarressing if it was anything else I suppose:what: :wink:

Hi Jill
Bill does nt actually "belong" to me ( thats another kind of relationship:devil: ) but he is my dance partner and we are together. He will be chuffed that you enjoyed the dances so much.:nice: you;; have to pop up north some time we have some lovely dancers great events.

fran :nice:

Bardsey
22nd-October-2003, 03:47 PM
you;; have to pop up north some time we have some lovely dancers great events.

fran :nice:

Thanks Fran, I'd love to do that. Keep me posted about any weekend stuff happening up there or even just a good Saturday night dance and I'll book myself into a hotel locally and come and meet you all. But be warned, I might ask you to be my dance "pimp" for the evening and introduce me to some good dancers! :rofl:

I shall definitely look forward to seeing you and Bill dance together though, bet that's really something to see. How long have you been dancing together?

It's no good, I'm just going to have to get myself a fella.....:devil:
Mind you, I'm fussy enough as it is, now I have the added stipulation that they dance I could end up on my own forever....:tears:

Gus
22nd-October-2003, 06:24 PM
Just looked at your profile Gus and see that you list Leeds as one of your venues. Next time you're coming to St Chad's, let me know and I'll grab you for a dance.

Or you can come across and dance my freestyle venue (Northwich) or across at Bowden.:wink: Unfortunately, only get across to Leeds these days when I'm either demo-ing for Helen for Advanced lessons or when I get chance to DJ at freestyles.

Fran
22nd-October-2003, 07:16 PM
But be warned, I might ask you to be my dance "pimp" for the evening and introduce me to some good dancers! :rofl:

I shall definitely look forward to seeing you and Bill dance together though, bet that's really something to see. How long have you been dancing together?

we always have a really good end of the month party (last saturday) in Edinburgh. great dancers and great music by Scott. somtimes there are things going on on the friday aswell. keep looking at the forum because someone ususally posts all the other events which go on up here each weekend. No problem being a "pimp for you" :wink: Not sure if its somthing to see but we have been dancing for a couple of years. we tend to do more bluesey stuff I guess. :devil:

fran:cheers:

TheTramp
22nd-October-2003, 07:27 PM
Heya Jill

There's quite a lot of stuff happening up here. We have freestyles almost every weekend of the month. This weekend, there's a freestyle in Edinburgh on Saturday night, which is always a good one....

Steve

RoyBoy
22nd-October-2003, 07:52 PM
Hi Jill

Suppose I should'nt be saying this, me being a Scotsman, but as I live in Manchester I can recommend the freesyle at the Stockport Town hall this Saturday. There's usually a good crowd from Leeds and surrounding area. The venue is superb and attracts a good mix of dancers.
Look forward to a boogie if you make it.

Roy

Gus
22nd-October-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by RoyBoy
......I can recommend the freesyle at the Stockport Town hall this Saturday. There's usually a good crowd from Leeds and surrounding area. The venue is superb and attracts a good mix of dancers.

Aye ... unfortuntely Blitz have just emailed to say that its SOLD OUT!:sad:

Tiggerbabe
22nd-October-2003, 08:33 PM

Thanks Fran, I'd love to do that. Keep me posted about any weekend stuff happening up there or even just a good Saturday night dance and I'll book myself into a hotel locally and come and meet you all

Not one to repeat myself again :wink: but...............Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, 22nd November ............watch this space :hug:

Bardsey
23rd-October-2003, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RoyBoy
[B]I can recommend the freesyle at the Stockport Town hall this Saturday. There's usually a good crowd from Leeds and surrounding area. The venue is superb and attracts a good mix of dancers.

Hi Roy

Unfortunately, as Roy says, Stockport is sold out. Next time maybe - keep a space on your dance card for me.....lol

Jill

Bardsey
23rd-October-2003, 10:50 AM
Hi Roy

Unfortunately, as Roy says, Stockport is sold out. Next time maybe - keep a space on your dance card for me.....lol

Jill [/B][/QUOTE]

Ooops, Sorry Roy, Sorry Gus. As GUS says, it's sold out.

Bardsey
23rd-October-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by Sheena
Not one to repeat myself again :wink: but...............Beach Ballroom, Aberdeen, 22nd November ............watch this space :hug:

Thanks for that info Sheena, I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Bardsey
23rd-October-2003, 10:55 AM
Heya Jill

There's quite a lot of stuff happening up here. We have freestyles almost every weekend of the month. This weekend, there's a freestyle in Edinburgh on Saturday night, which is always a good one....

Steve

I'll have to see if I can persuade someone to come up with me one weekend and see how its done in Edinburgh.

Bardsey
23rd-October-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Or you can come across and dance my freestyle venue (Northwich) or across at Bowden.:wink: Unfortunately, only get across to Leeds these days when I'm either demo-ing for Helen for Advanced lessons or when I get chance to DJ at freestyles.

Here I go appearing thick again, but where's Bowden? Is that Humberside area? Wherever, I'll try to get to one or both at some time in the near future, I can promise you that. I think its time I spread my wings and tried other dance venues, instead of sticking to Leeds and Wetherby. :waycool:

TheTramp
23rd-October-2003, 11:24 AM
I'll have to see if I can persuade someone to come up with me one weekend and see how its done in Edinburgh. One weekend??

What's wrong with THIS weekend :wink: :D

It's only 180 miles :rolleyes:

Steve

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 10:46 AM
Hi Jill,

Hope you are going to the dance @ Stockport Town Hall on Saturday - if you are I would love a dance, I am DJing, but catch me during the evening.

Roger C

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Roger C
Hi Jill,

Hope you are going to the dance @ Stockport Town Hall on Saturday - if you are I would love a dance, I am DJing, but catch me during the evening.

Roger C

Oh Bu**er I'd have loved to, but not going to Stockport as couldn't get a ticket. By the time my friend and I decided to go, it was sold out. .:sad: Typical! Next time hopefully

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 10:56 AM
One weekend??

What's wrong with THIS weekend :wink: :D

It's only 180 miles :rolleyes:

Steve

Mmm takes a bit more planning than that, I'm afraid. Please try and remember - I'm a woman........... and blond! :rofl:

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 11:16 AM
Hi Jill,

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get a ticket for this Saturday. Catch you the next time I'm up. Moves are a foot to have me up to Leeds to do a workshop and maybe even to DJ. Have a chat with Helen and she will let you know when I am coming up!

Roger C.

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 11:23 AM
Hi Jill,

Sorry to hear that you weren't able to get a ticket for this Saturday. Catch you the next time I'm up. Moves are a foot to have me up to Leeds to do a workshop and maybe even to DJ. Have a chat with Helen and she will let you know when I am coming up!

Roger C.

Ok Roger, Great. I'll talk to Helen if she's teaching at St Chad's on Monday.

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 11:58 AM
Have a good time Monday.

Roger C.

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 12:07 PM
Have a good time Monday.

Roger C.

Thanks, I usually do. What sort of workshop will you be coming to do? If its up my street, I might try and book it.

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 12:19 PM
Not sure at the moment as I do a number of dance styles - but it is sure to be interesting - I take every opportunity with each workshop to do something new!

Roger C.

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 12:30 PM
Not sure at the moment as I do a number of dance styles - but it is sure to be interesting - I take every opportunity with each workshop to do something new!

Roger C.

Ok, well as long as you don't need to take a partner with you to your workshop, then I'll be up for it ! I'd really love to do some blues and dips and seducers, but you need to take a partner for those, especially the Blues, don't you? Hence my advert for a regular dance partner. Which reminds me, I've had loads of interest in my thread, but not one reply about a dance partner in Leeds area.....lol.

Oh well I've really enjoyed all the chatting with different people and I'm looking forward to meeting some of them in the near future.

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 12:33 PM
Jill,

I would love to do a Blues workshop, but let's wait and see!

Glad that you are enjoying your time online.

Roger C.

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 12:44 PM
Jill,

I would love to do a Blues workshop, but let's wait and see!

Glad that you are enjoying your time online.

Roger C.

Are you a dance teacher then Roger?

Hope you don't organise a Blues workshop before I get myself a partner, unless you have one where you don't actually need one.

It would be nice to move around, I know Blues is very touchy feely, but after dancing a Blues number with Bill when he came to Leeds last week, I realise that you don't have to be "married" to someone to dance the blues with them.:rofl:

Forte
24th-October-2003, 01:24 PM

It would be nice to move around, I know Blues is very touchy feely, but after dancing a Blues number with Bill when he came to Leeds last week, I realise that you don't have to be "married" to someone to dance the blues with them.:rofl:

Perish the thought!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :hug:

Roger C
24th-October-2003, 02:13 PM
Jill,

Down South I am quite well know as a dance teacher and DJ. But I am keen to get around the country and to ply my trade. So promoters get in touch!

Roger C.

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 02:30 PM
Jill,

Down South I am quite well know as a dance teacher and DJ. But I am keen to get around the country and to ply my trade. So promoters get in touch!

Roger C.

You mentioned that you knew Helen Zampass so I'll plead your case for you with her up here. When we had an intermediate workshop the other Saturday, I had asked about a Blues workshop and Louise, the venue manager said she would try and sort something out. I got the feeling that they didn't know of many teachers who did blues although a guy called George was mentioned, from Sheffield I think.

I seem to keep rattling on about Blues, don't I, when in fact I'd be interested in any workshop, especially if it was a bit different.

Bill
24th-October-2003, 03:02 PM

I seem to keep rattling on about Blues, don't I, when in fact I'd be interested in any workshop, especially if it was a bit different.

And just you keep on ratling Jill :D

You should know that Helen ( Zambas) knows Roger very well and that Roger is one of the 'masters' in modern jive. I've been to one of his workshops and he's a fantastic dancer and a really nice guy. He was palying the music at Hipsters the other night.

George is also a really nice 'blues' dancer so any workshop he does will be worth going to and if you get the chance to see Nigel and Nina then make sure you take it. :wink:

All the best in your hunt and hope to have the chance to dance with you again soon. :cheers:

Bardsey
24th-October-2003, 03:19 PM
And just you keep on ratling Jill :D

You should know that Helen ( Zambas) knows Roger very well and that Roger is one of the 'masters' in modern jive. I've been to one of his workshops and he's a fantastic dancer and a really nice guy. He was palying the music at Hipsters the other night.

George is also a really nice 'blues' dancer so any workshop he does will be worth going to and if you get the chance to see Nigel and Nina then make sure you take it. :wink:

All the best in your hunt and hope to have the chance to dance with you again soon. :cheers:

Awww thanks Bill, that's really nice of you. Be careful what you hope for, you might get it sooner than you think :rofl:
cos I am hopefully teaming up with one of the ladies on here, she's from Dundee I think, and we've agreed to meet up at some weekend events and be "roomies", as we are both in the same boat and don't have a partner. She has asked me to think about the Aberdeen one on 22 Nov but its a hell of a way to drive. Any idea what the train or coach is like to and from there?

It will be really good to go to different events and even though I will be going alone, I will have someone to meet up with at the other end.

This site is brilliant, I've had contact with quite a few people and they are all really nice. I really like the banter. It will be great to move around the country a bit and actually meet them in the flesh, so to speak.

Okay Roger has my vote, I'll definitely pester for him to do a workshop at Leeds.

I'm going to a freestyle jive at the Engine Shed in Wetherby tonight. At the class on Wednesday there, a guy accidently wacked my nose (it still hurts) so I'm gonna go dance with him tonight and stomp on his toes....:devil: