PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a scanner/printer/copier?

Miss Flicts
7th-April-2008, 09:15 AM
Hello. I'm really hoping somebody can (quickly!) recommend a decent scanner/printer/copier for a budget of £100. I've looked on the PCWorld website, but there are loads - how do I choose? I'm going shopping later today so if anyone has an idea for me I will be very very grateful!! :nice:

Isis
7th-April-2008, 09:37 AM
I'm not a tech-head but I really like my Lexmark X5470. It has all of the above features and can fax and print photos for less than £100.

Lee Bartholomew
7th-April-2008, 09:41 AM
Depends on what you want to do with it.

Will you be printing loads of letters in an office or printing photos at home.

Would recommend a canon or Epson for home use and a HP for office work.

Would recommend in both situations you dont touch Lexmark with a barge pole. Would also suggest looking on a website such as ebuyer to order from. Alot cheaper than PC world and better service too.

If you are on a budget Canon do a decent one for £37 including £20 cash back (not sure of terms) *£20 Cash Back* Canon PIXMA MP210 - Multifunction ( colour ) - ink-jet - copying (up to): 22 ppm - printing (up to): 22 ppm 100 sheets - Hi-Speed USB - Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132443)

Miss Flicts
7th-April-2008, 09:46 AM

Would recommend in both situations you dont touch Lexmark with a barge pole. Would also suggest looking on a website such as ebuyer to order from. Alot cheaper than PC world and better service too.

If you are on a budget Canon do a decent one for £37 including £20 cash back (not sure of terms) *£20 Cash Back* Canon PIXMA MP210 - Multifunction ( colour ) - ink-jet - copying (up to): 22 ppm - printing (up to): 22 ppm 100 sheets - Hi-Speed USB - Ebuyer (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/132443)

I'll be printing letters and also coloured pictures/images/Publisher docs onto normal paper (but NOT printing photos). I'm shopping instore (I need it today), so PC world is my only decent local option - I'll write down the advice and see what's in stock that fits the bill . Thanks for the suggestions.

Mr Darcy
7th-April-2008, 09:48 AM
I'll second the recommendation for a Canon, a vitally important thing to check with any model is how much do the ink cartridges cost? I (and friends & relatives) went through several generations of Epson finding that if you didn't print anything for a month it would be all blocked up and after doing that a couple of times it would just die permanantly. After switching to Canon we've just had no problems at all and the cartridges are about 50p (for compatibles).

martingold
7th-April-2008, 09:57 AM

:yeah: and yes i mean to all of it

I have the canon pixma mp970 (top of the range and way outside of your budget) which is a truly brilliant I love the way that the prints if you use proprietary paper and ink come out dry and supposedly have an archive lifetime of 100 years
This is the first canon printer i have used and i am impressed i am a bit of a canon camera fan so i suppose i shouldn't really be so surprised. as far as i can see the whole range has a great build quality

Miss Flicts
7th-April-2008, 01:24 PM
I'll second the recommendation for a Canon, a vitally important thing to check with any model is how much do the ink cartridges cost? I (and friends & relatives) went through several generations of Epson finding that if you didn't print anything for a month it would be all blocked up and after doing that a couple of times it would just die permanantly. After switching to Canon we've just had no problems at all and the cartridges are about 50p (for compatibles).

Oh no! I went out before I read these last couple of replies, and I bought an Epson!! Now I wish I'd bought a Canon! I can't face driving all the way back to exchange it though. I guess I'll just have to make sure I use it regularly to keep it tuned!!

Thanks for your advice everyone...if only I'd asked yesterday! D'uh!!

martingold
7th-April-2008, 02:12 PM
Oh no! I went out before I read these last couple of replies, and I bought an Epson!! Now I wish I'd bought a Canon! I can't face driving all the way back to exchange it though. I guess I'll just have to make sure I use it regularly to keep it tuned!!

No problem but i would say with an epson do not use compatible ink cartridges
They are prone to block the print head

having said that i always say you get what you pay for and i never use anything other than propriatory cartridges anyway as i fel i get better quality from them

Lee Bartholomew
7th-April-2008, 05:11 PM
If you do use 3rd party carts for the epson, use Jet Tec. They use exactly the same ink as epson use. Little more expensive than other 3rd party carts but still miles cheaper than Epson.

Mr Darcy
7th-April-2008, 06:51 PM

The ones I had problems with were from a few years ago, so hopefully they've improved since then and you'll have no trouble.