PDA

View Full Version : Post Scottish Champs 2003

Scot
19th-October-2003, 01:50 PM
Dear All

Big thanks to everyone who took part.

I will post the results shortly and the final money raised but not today. Too knackered.

You all looked great out there and personnally I was glad I was not judging. How do you pick the best from the best.

A special thanks to both the Cabarets the Alley Cats what a choreography and the Fatal Attraction so sychronized and polished. Well done guys

Cheers and thanks again

Scot

Forte
19th-October-2003, 02:47 PM
Well done to you, Scot! Some of us have already posted our thoughts and congratulations to everyone on the scot champs thread! Won't do it again, here! :cheers: :grin: Thank you for a great event.

michael
19th-October-2003, 04:40 PM
What a fantastic day (and night) and a special mention to those who made the effort to come up from down south. Its great to see so many happy wee faces it makes the whole event so enjoyable. Everyone so friendly it was superb.

To all those who DID NOT attend i would ask you to give it some thought for next year. I would not have attended myself had i not being doing the cabaret, simply because i had visions of it being mostly for those competing and their close supporters. Stuffy and "Come Dancing" it was not (thank goodness) Let me say to all of you, this was a competition yes, but it was also a great fun event for those who simply came to dance, watch and enjoy. Plenty of opportunity to dance freestyle at every available gap and i was right in there at all of them, allowed the spectator to be part of the event. Oh ladies you dance sooooo wellll. So come on Glasgow and Edinburgh cerocers attend and be prepared to be shocked it is great fun!!!!

Not being competitive minded at all (aye right) may i congratulate the Judges in making a brave decision to award th Fatal Attraction cabaret the winners. This was the correct decision in my wee eyes as me being the least experienced member of the Alley Cats felt that more time was needed to get the timing and sychronisation right. So well done to all of the FT team for being worthy winners :cheers: :hug:

If and i know it is a BIG IF, the ALLEY Cats do go down to Blackpool, then FATAL attraction will be aptly named cause we will have improved our NEW and brilliant wee ALLEY Cats and you guys wont stand a chance:na: :na: :na:

A giant big well done to everyone who helped make the event so well run and organised. Improvements for next year??? More cerocers not competing to attend, it is a fabby day just go once and see for yourself.

Tiggerbabe
19th-October-2003, 04:58 PM
Results as I remember............

Lucky Dip - Steve Lampert and Anne Milne - DUNDEE - 1st
Peter Phillips and Mel - Mel is from DUNDEE 2nd
Intermediate - Mel and James - DUNDEE - 1st
Gail and Steve - DUNDEE - 2nd
Advanced - Hayley and Steve Lampert - Steve's DUNDEE
Open - David Martin and Denise McGuire - Denise is DUNDEE
Double Trouble - Bill, Fran and Denise - Denise is DUNDEE :wink:
Cabaret - FATAL ATTRACTION - mostly from DUNDEE

Does anyone see a pattern forming here?

Too tired to post much more, at the moment - full report to follow :wink:

but a huge thankyou to Scot and everyone else who worked so hard behind the scenes to make this event such a success.
Well done to Obi for the judging system which meant that the results were posted for everyone to see in record-breaking time :D
Thanks to all the judges - I'm so glad I didn't have their job!
And a Totally Huge well-done to everyone who was there (especially the crowds from Darlington, Newcastle and Manchester) - who danced, had fun, took part in the competitions and generally had a blast.
Final thanks to Lynn - who won the advanced last year - for lending me her husband in the Lucky Dip competition - we had such a laugh :hug: thanks Duncan!

TheTramp
19th-October-2003, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Results as I remember............

Lucky Dip - Steve Lampert and Anne Milne - DUNDEE - 1st
Peter Phillips and Mel - Mel is from DUNDEE 2nd
Intermediate - Mel and James - DUNDEE - 1st
Gail and Steve - DUNDEE - 2nd
Advanced - Hayley and Steve Lampert - Steve's DUNDEE
Open - David Martin and Denise McGuire - Denise is DUNDEE
Double Trouble - Bill, Fran and Denise - Denise is DUNDEE :wink:
Cabaret - FATAL ATTRACTION - mostly from DUNDEE

Does anyone see a pattern forming here?I'm not sure Sheena.

Can you give us more of a hint please? :D

Steve

Chris
19th-October-2003, 06:17 PM
It occurs to me that all the people who entered and didn't win prizes, or didn't do as well in some categories as in others, should be congratulated :-

"What creates a winner is a person who can connect with their partner, another human being who can connect with their soul, and if you get into it that way - you have to win - and you win whether you win the trophy or not, cos you win something inside, in your heart"

If you achieved that connection you won something very special, which is in some ways more special than a trophy, and you are the real winners and deserve congratulation and admiration. This goes for the people who did win prizes too, but lots of people have, or will congratulate them and appreciate them, so I sincerely want to add a word for the other people who haven't got so much of a mention.

Sometimes you win cos you have that connection and can present it, sometimes you achieve the connection because of the dance or during the heat, sometimes you have the connection but it seems to vanish before the competition, sometimes it's a connection that is just special to the two of you, or maybe you achieve the connection but baulk at competitions.

If you entered (and sometimes if you didn't), you probably had some special connection (or were making steps to reach it), so you really are a winner.
Congratulations!!:cheers:

It's also nice to be appreciated, to be accepted and loved for something that is special to you, so let's hear it (privately or on the forum) for some of the wonderful things people achieved even without getting placed in the results!

The full, exact quote, for aficionados is: "What creates a winner is a person who can connect with their partner, another human being who can connect with their soul - it's not just learning steps, it's about expressing something. I've found in dancing all my life that I can release something as a dancer that I can't in any other way, and if you get into it in that way it's irresistible - you have to win - and you win whether you get the trophy or not, cos you win something in here" (pointing to his heart). Patrick Swayze, 'Swayze Dancing' video.

Forte
19th-October-2003, 06:36 PM
Wow! What a wonderful deep quote (Dreadful Scathe will HATE it!:rofl:
I connected with my new shoes...bought on the day and helped me be brave (and fast) enough to attempt my first public double spin!:grin:
I didn't enter but admired everyone who did...especially the joy of some...lady in a belly dancing sash (great wiggle and sound:wink: ) also genuinely thought Mr and Mrs dreadful Scathe were burning up the dance floor in the intermediate section...:yum:
Best bit was when Mickey Mouse lost his nose (dancing in full costume with Minnie Mouse):cheers:
Thanks Chris:hug:

Jive Brummie
19th-October-2003, 06:48 PM
Have to agree with everyone else. It was a great weekend... if not a little tiring!!!

Firstly, Scot, great organisation mate. Think this is the first event of any kind I've been to where everything has run exactly on time.... The effort you must have gone to, to put on such a great weekend must have been huge and I'm sure people will be in agreement that you deserve a big thankyou.

Good to see so many travel up from England, might even get a few more next year when they hear of this years success. Sorry can't remember all the names of the ladie's I danced with, but thankyou all for stopping me sitting down....... all night, both friday and saturday, and if on saturday I danced with you and didn't look too happy it's because I was cream crackered and nothing else.

Thanks to the judges for deciding Melanie and I were the best on the day. I hope we entertained. And a big thankyou to all the lovely things people said to us before, during and after the competition.

Can't go without saying a massive thankyou to Melanie. Thankyou for persevering with the outfits, they looked fantastic. Thankyou for being a great dance partner, putting the smile on my face, the happiness in my life and making a good weekend into an unforgetable one. Roll on Blackpool..:wink: :wink:

:cheers:

james..x

Chris
19th-October-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Wow! What a wonderful deep quote (Dreadful Scathe will HATE it!:rofl:

I'm sure DS would have thought of it if first if he wasn't resting up :wink:

...especially the joy of some...lady in a belly dancing sash (great wiggle and sound:wink: )

sounds cool! it's wonderful to see a good wiggle :devil: maybe she could tell us where she learnt it? belly-dancing? carioca samba? J-Lo? :wink:

also genuinely thought Mr and Mrs dreadful Scathe were burning up the dance floor in the intermediate section...:yum:

it seems they've had a good connection for quite a while now and seem to get better each time :)

Thanks Chris:hug:
No probs :hug: - hope maybe to see those fab new shoes in action some time!

Forte
19th-October-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Jive Brummie

Thanks to the judges for deciding Melanie and I were the best on the day. I hope we entertained. And a big thankyou to all the lovely things people said to us before, during and after the competition.

Can't go without saying a massive thankyou to Melanie. Thankyou for persevering with the outfits, they looked fantastic. Thankyou for being a great dance partner, putting the smile on my face, the happiness in my life and making a good weekend into an unforgetable one. Roll on Blackpool..:wink: :wink:

james..x

Aww...that is so nice...it made me almost:tears: ! Unlike our comments about the RAF uniform and the hole in your "trousers" which made us all:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

snoopy
19th-October-2003, 09:13 PM
First trip to Mussleburgh and what can I say that has not already been said by all who attended - brilliant. As you say Scot how to pick the best from the best. Just to attend and watch was enough - liked the regular dance breaks.

By all accounts you will need to look for larger venue for next year and with luck will attract more from the South.

Thanks to all the backroom boys and girls for making it all work and go like clockwork. Best timings of any competition that I have attended in the past 3 years.

Keep up the good work.

Keith
19th-October-2003, 10:14 PM
Hi Guys,
Just like to reiterate on the thank yous etc.
A fantastic day, sorry we missed the Friday bash, but didn't get to Scotland until about 2 a.m.
Saturday was incredible, the same as last year, lovely people, fantastically organised, phenomenal dancing, it goes from strength to strength, well done to Scott & his remarkable team, £6,000 raised for a great charity is something you can be very very proud of! Give yourselves a big squeeze :hug: A hard day for the judges, well done to you all.
Well done to all the winners, never easy, so always deserved.
A huge thank you from both myself & Janey for all the fab dances we had throughout the evening, with folk from way down south, across to Newcastle & obviously from your very own delectable selves.
Looking forward to seeing you all at the Blackpool Comp, especially looking forward to the cats routine, fantastic idea, & looked great.
Happy dancing
Keith C2D

Fran
19th-October-2003, 10:18 PM
I would like to add my congratulations to Scott and Angie who have been working flat out on the compettion for some time now. It was great fun and a pleasure to be involved with. The atmosphere from the friday night onwards was so posiative and friendly.

I would also like to thank everyone who turned up to help put up the decorations on saturaday morning. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Lindsays(Aberdeen) balloon dance and fashionable ear decorations were really somthing else!!!: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A huge thankyou to Linda who lent me her dress just before the advanced heat due to mine suddenly getting into a fight with some double sided sticky tape:what: - and to Avril for helping out.

well done to everyone who entered and to the winners - sooooo
proud of my double trouble partner Denise in the open.
Thanks for the comments about the double trouble, we had a good time - well, if you dance with Bill and Denise your bound to have a good time. thankyou both:hug: :hug:

It was lovley to see so many friends and visitors from down south and fabby to hear you had a good time. looking forward to having as much fun next year

lots of love franx

Tiggerbabe
19th-October-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Chris

sounds cool! it's wonderful to see a good wiggle :devil: maybe she could tell us where she learnt it? belly-dancing? carioca samba? J-Lo? :wink:

Well - the lady in the belly dancing sash was our very own Dancing Veela - aka Avril from DUNDEE who was one of the choreographers of the Fatal Attraction routine.
I'm sure she goes/did go to Belly-Dancing - and it did look great - and so did she, but it was the smile on her face when she was dancing with the Bombay Bad Boy in the Cabaret that I'll remember for some time :D

Tiggerbabe
19th-October-2003, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Keith
A huge thank you from both myself & Janey for all the fab dances we had throughout the evening
And a huge sorry to all of those you promised to dance with and didn't - how many totally distraught ladies at the last count Keith :wink: :blush: Not that I'd want you to be feeling guilty or anything :wink:
Great to see you both :hug:

Looking forward to seeing you all at the Blackpool Comp
Hotel is already booked babe - wouldn't miss it for the world!

especially looking forward to the cats routine, fantastic idea, & looked great.

Wasn't it though - both of the cabarets were brilliant in totally different ways and as I said before I'm so glad I didn't have to decide who was the winner.
One of my favourite moments was Michael, DD and DS dancing in the front to 3 Cool Cats - they were awesome!:drool:
Such a fun routine and I hope you do all take it to Blackpool - would be such a shame for it to be performed only the once.......and Alf - as Top Cat - what a casting decision :D

TheTramp
19th-October-2003, 10:58 PM
Can I just say thank you to my 3 partners on the day (Sheena (Open), Hayley (Advanced) and Ann (Lucky Dip)). All three are fantastic dancers, and I was incredibly lucky to have the opportunity of competing with them :D

(Yes, it's bucket time!)

Steve

Keith
20th-October-2003, 12:23 AM
And a huge sorry to all of those you promised to dance with and didn't - how many totally distraught ladies at the last count Keith Not that I'd want you to be feeling guilty or anything
'A huge sorry', it was me who missed out, I could have danced with those wonderful ladies all night! :tears:

Wasn't it though - both of the cabarets were brilliant in totally different ways and as I said before I'm so glad I didn't have to decide who was the winner.
Quite agree, fantastic to see both of the teams, with very different dimensions to their dance. That's what Team Cabaret is all about.
And whilst I'm on again, a huge congrat's to Denise, who is one of the best dancers I have ever had the pleasure of dancing with, yet is still one of the humblest dancers you could ever wish to meet. You deserve everything you have worked for, enjoy the adoration & compliments xx.
Keith

Dreadful Scathe
20th-October-2003, 10:16 AM

One of my favourite moments was Michael, DD and DS dancing in the front to 3 Cool Cats - they were awesome!:drool:
Such a fun routine and I hope you do all take it to Blackpool - would be such a shame for it to be performed only the once.......and Alf - as Top Cat - what a casting decision :D

There was never any doubt we were taking it to Blackpool, so watch out for us there. Glad the crowd liked the routine, and having watched the video - yes we made a lot of mistakes...so we won't in Blackpool :). And just so i can gain a tiny bit of personal glory, can I say that I did the music for Fatal Attraction and Alley Cats ...cos it was really hard to do...er..honest ! :)

At least Fatal Attraction are not going to enter Blackpool again this year, or I want my place back :).

DavidY
20th-October-2003, 11:38 AM
Just wanted to add my congratulations to both the competitiors and the organisers.

I was also really impressed by the speed at which results made it from the judges' clipboards to the notice boards outside - not sure I've seen such efficiency before, so congrats to those who organised this.

I also appreciated the fact that it all ran to time and the frequent freestyle breaks- for those of us who weren't competing much or at all (I only entered the lucky dip) it made it much more fun to have time to dance during the day.

Also a big thank you to all the lovely people who danced with me - as a 'southerner' it is really nice to get asked to dance a lot by such friendly, talented dancers. :D :D

David

Lounge Lizard
20th-October-2003, 11:40 AM
Hi
Congrats to Scot for a well organised event A great day and worth the 970mile round trip:what:

BIG thanks to Mel & Linda who were fantastic to dance with - only my third comp and in two finals:hug: :hug:

A really big thankyou to all the Scottish dancers I had a fantastic time. Wish I could have danced with all the ladies (I did try but ran out of time) :tears:
And Dundee - 'what are you like' :wink:

Blackpool is the biggest and the best but Scotland is the friendliest competition anywhere. :cheers:

C U soon.Peter

Sheepman
20th-October-2003, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
BIG thanks to Mel & Linda who were fantastic to dance with - only my third comp and in two finals
Congrats Peter, and to everyone else, sounds like a great event. A trifle surprised and shocked not to see Brady mentioned in the medals - I can't imagine he lost his cool though!

So whose version of "3 Cool Cats" was used by the Alley Cats? It's one of those songs that I listen to and choreography goes on in my head, I've often thought it would make a great team cabaret. Now you've beaten me to it. Look forward to seeing it at Blackpool, (if I can make it that is :tears: )

Greg

Dancing Veela
20th-October-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by michael

So well done to all of the FT team for being worthy winners :cheers: :hug:

Thanks Michael - and thanks to The FA team - half of whom learnt the routine 3 weeks ago - you guys did a fantastic job - and smiled ALL the way through - I had a ball. Wendy is such a fantastic co-choreographer - we have such a laugh together - and thanks to her and Robbie for letting us use their living room to reherse in!

If and i know it is a BIG IF, the ALLEY Cats do go down to Blackpool, then FATAL attraction will be aptly named cause we will have improved our NEW and brilliant wee ALLEY Cats and you guys wont stand a chance:na: :na: :na:

The Alley Cats routine was just superb (and thanks DS for the FA music and to all the old members of the team for lending us your outfits! :-)). We honestly didn't think we'd won because you guys were just so original and entertaining...........HOWEVER Michael, about Blackpool - you guys have NO idea what you are up against - we have a whole new routine planned for it (FA came second in Blackpool this year to the TEAM Dundee routine) - and Wendy was out looking for costumes yesterday!!!!!

Scot - the whole day was fantastic - so incredibly well organised. And such fun!!!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed my Coin Belt (I did a wee bit Belly Dancing with Lorna Gow - classes in Dundee and Edinburgh) - any gimic to get noticed eh!!!! Thanks to Roland from Aberdeen in getting us through to the final of the lucky dip - you danced fantastically.

By the way I did get a pair of shoes back (you will remember I had to dance the final of the lucky dip in Heather's borrowed shoes - thanks for those!) - I'm not sure the ones I have are mine but close enough (if any woman thinks her Black Bloch Trainers are a bit on the small side - let me know cause I may have yours!).

DVx

Minnie M
20th-October-2003, 01:04 PM
Wow ! Sounds like it was an amazing weekend AND to raise so much money for charity makes it feel good too !

CONGRATULATIONS to ALL the winners, wish I could have been there, definitely going to try and make it next year - :cheers: - take note Scott - sounds like you might need a bigger venue !

What about Bill and his two lovely ladies - is this a hat trick ?

Looking forward to seeing the video (hope there is one)

smiler
20th-October-2003, 01:09 PM
Hi. i would just like to thank everyone who was at the competition on sat in Musselburgh.
It was my first comp i have attended and what an atmosphere there was. it was ace.:grin: thanks to all the people who cheered me on when i was up dancing. what a buzz! and to everyone from Aberdeen who was there as well.
Ps. your legs do not half ache after all those great dances. time to put them up for a day to rest.

michael
20th-October-2003, 02:23 PM
Quote:...........HOWEVER Michael, about Blackpool - you guys have NO idea what you are up against - we have a whole new routine planned for it (FA came second in Blackpool this year to the TEAM Dundee routine) - and Wendy was out looking for costumes yesterday!!!!!

Oh Dancing Veela you know how to cheer us cats up:sick: :sick:

Well i suppose i will just go and hibernate in my bin now, nope i aint coming out even for Blackpool. Best leaving that for the experienced dancers anyway. Wish you all the best and i hope you give us a wee clue as to what the costumes (we called ours overalls:sorry) are like? You guys up in Dundee are so at one with each other, me thinks that makes a big difference to your attitude and mental outlook which seems to come over at all levels.

Looking forward to The Beach Ballroom and the dances with everyone, should be another great event.

Dancing Veela
20th-October-2003, 02:24 PM
Well - the lady in the belly dancing sash was our very own Dancing Veela - aka Avril from DUNDEE who was one of the choreographers of the Fatal Attraction routine.
I'm sure she goes/did go to Belly-Dancing - and it did look great - and so did she, but it was the smile on her face when she was dancing with the Bombay Bad Boy in the Cabaret that I'll remember for some time :D

Thanks Sheena - I had a ball the whole day - and who wouldn't grin when dancing with the BBB - even if he did drop me lower into the splits than I'd planned (ouch!!!)!

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 02:41 PM
What a great day it was, and a great dance on the Friday night as well. I think that most people had a great time, and well done to anyone who had a hand in organising it. The hall itself was very well decorated, and looked fantastic, and what a great dancefloor it is. Only 363 days to go until next years, and counting :D

Well done also to everyone who competed in anything, at whatever level. It takes some guts to get up - especially for the first time - and anyone who did so deserves all of the (generous) applause they got.

From what I saw, I thought that the standard of competitors was overall very good - at least as good as the other 'smaller' competitions I've been to.

Didn't really get to see much of the lucky dip, open or advanced categories. Thought that James and Mel were well deserved winners in the intermediate. Second place was much harder to judge as there were lots of excellent performances in the final, and I really didn't envy the judges, but I thought worthy runners-up were chosen, though it could have been any of a number of couples. The cabarets were both most excellent, and I really enjoyed watching both of them. As has already been said, the performance of the '3 cool cats' at the front was truly a sight to behold :D Well done to Bill, Fran and Denise in the Double Trouble - those outfits (Fran and Denise, wasn't really noticing Bill's :na: ) would have won first place in any competition, and the dancing more than matched them :D

The competition ran smoothly all day. Everything was perfectly to time, except for the final of the Open, which was held up for a few minutes to allow Sheena to change outfits. Something that she was very proud about.

On a small downside, I was very disappointed with the behaviour of one male dancer, who left 2 ladies in the lurch, although well done to the stand-in in the Open who I thought did very well under the circumstances.

Also, a big hand must go to the judges, and especially to Obi, who ran everything brilliantly. I was very impressed with the speed at which the results were posted (within about 10 minutes for every round). Why can't the other competitions match that - especially Hammersmith, where it takes absolutely ages for the results to be posted.

I'll shut up now :D

Steve

Chicklet
20th-October-2003, 02:50 PM
Can't really add anything new to all that has been said but wanted to put in a BIG BIG thanks and congrats to EVERYONE involved, had a wonderful wonderful day with so many highs,

What a lot of Forum Finalists too, I hope you are all suitably proud of yourselves!!!

:hug:

Lounge Lizard
20th-October-2003, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
On a small downside, I was very disappointed with the behaviour of one male dancer, who left 2 ladies in the lurch, although well done to the stand-in in the Open who I thought did very well under the circumstances.

Steve Well done to you Steve nearly a hatrick :cheers:

I agree about the guy leaving, but reason - he felt he did not have enough airstep moves for the open - perhaps he should have thought of that before he entered
I must admit the open category in competitions has developed into what appears a glorified air steps comp.

It is great that this has been discussed at length on this forum and I personally would like to see teachers dance any open with both feet on the ground in 2004 (and have a separate airsteps section open to all).

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Well done to you Steve nearly a hatrick :cheers: Thanks Peter.

I agree about the guy leaving, but reason - he felt he did not have enough airstep moves for the open - perhaps he should have thought of that before he enteredYeah. But the version I heard (and if there is another version, then I'd be interested in hearing it) is that the said 'gentleman' walked off, because his partner (who'd never done any airsteps before, but is a very nice dancer - and who he has known very well for many years, so was totally aware of this fact) couldn't cope with trying to learn new airsteps a couple of hours before the competition was taking place.

So, he proceeded to tell her what an awful dancer she was, before storming off, leaving her, and also his DWAS partner in the lurch (and also leaving his partner stranded in Musselburgh - they had come up from London).

There can be no excuse for this sort of behaviour - though, maybe there is another side to the story that should be told? Like I said, I'd be interested to hear it.

Steve

Forte
20th-October-2003, 03:20 PM
There can be no excuse for this sort of behaviour - though, maybe there is another side to the story that should be told? Like I said, I'd be interested to hear it. yes..but do we need to hear it here...bit public is it not?:really:

Scot
20th-October-2003, 03:33 PM
A little extra news

Both Fran, Bill and Denise donated their winnings back to Cancer Research. Thankyou

Hope to do figures tonight and get them out tommorrow

Many thanks for all your praise I must confess I am feeling a bit embarassed though perhaps not as much as I was on Thursday night. For those of you that were there you will know.

Many Many Thanks

Scot

Forte
20th-October-2003, 03:39 PM
Well i suppose i will just go and hibernate in my bin now, nope i aint coming out even for Blackpool. Best leaving that for the experienced dancers anyway.
Looking forward to The Beach Ballroom and the dances with everyone, should be another great event.

Michael! You have to get back in that costume. You were Purr-fect!:kiss:

Dancing Veela
20th-October-2003, 03:54 PM
Does anyone have any digital photos of Fatal Attraction? It was such a busy day (and Lisa didn't stop all day) we didn't get the chance to take a team photo.

DVx

Chris
20th-October-2003, 04:43 PM
The Scottish Champs have not only added another great date to the dance championship calendar, which has gone down very well indeed(!), but also seems to have established a few 'firsts' too (or maybe, first time these things have been quite so visible :-)

a) dancing for charity - provides a great base line that everyone feels comfortable supporting

b) strong regional support - sort of started in a big way at Blackpool (by Scots) maybe but very apparent in Scottish Champs - great opportunity there for bonding and bringing people together

c) strong focus (whatever the philosophical arguments!) on a 'fun' element in championships - one that will maybe increase their popularity and encourage more people to take part

The Scottish Championship looks set to becoming firmly established - could there be (even more) positive spin offs from its success?

We've heard of the strong 'Dundee' contingent (who could misss them!), of the enthusiasm (coachloads?) from the NE and NW of England . . . I wonder if the future of 'competition' dancing might even include a 'regional' 'dance-off' sort of thing?

In Scotland, there's two strong franchises (wouldn't have to be franchise based but might be an good possibility)

Visitors to the Scottish Competition mentioned included cohorts of folk from the NW & NE of England

Maybe people from the Scottish Comp might envisage a jivemasters style local play-off and then four teams competing for a regional championship?
Dundee and Edinburgh could pull in (or at least invite) Chalky and Boogie Nights

Glasgow and Aberdeen could include Leroc clubs from the West

Chance to Dance could invite GB Jive (have I got my geography right?)

NE Ceroc could invite Blitz (or vice versa)

You never know - it might happen - jive could become almost as popular as mainstream sport with thousands more people taking part (and how about press releases - lots of opportunities for publicity there both for Ceroc and Cancer Research). :)

None of this will happen overnight (if at all) but it's nice to dream ...

(end dream mode - I know I'm not in the loop as far as Scottish ceroc goes but like to contribute ideas with all sincerity - apologies if it sounds too half-baked! neither necessarily piling more work on Scot or other comp organisers - but maybe one of the them might one day) ps keeping on-topic - congrats again to all winners, and all people who entered and felt they achieved something worth while by entering
:nice: :cheers: :nice:

John S
20th-October-2003, 04:45 PM
Hayley (Advanced)

Ah yes, that'll be the Hayley I was introduced to early in the day.

I was asked to dance with her to make her feel welcome, so I foolishly then asked her if she had been dancing long - and immediately had to cringe when she said she was up from London to partner Steve in the Advanced!:sorry :sorry

She was very kind to me, though, and brilliantly followed my first moves and yo-yos ........ all of them...... every time....... over and over.
:what:

TheTramp
20th-October-2003, 05:08 PM
Hayley hasn't actually been dancing long John, so you weren't far off the mark. I think that she has only been dancing Ceroc for about 9 months now. Though, she is very quickly becoming a fantastic dancer (actually, she already is fantastic, is quickly becoming more fantastic :na: ), and picks up new moves and ideas faster than just about anyone else I've ever met (which she had to do, since we hadn't really practised at all ever, hadn't danced for 6 weeks, and started practising for the comp at 12pm, when we arrived at Musselburgh :D ).

Steve

Dreadful Scathe
20th-October-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman

So whose version of "3 Cool Cats" was used by the Alley Cats?

The Coasters version. Also 'Alley Cat' by Peggy Lee, Top Cat theme tune and a tune from 'Stomp' (in reverse order there). Sound effects frm various other places. Also there was the 'joke' of Viv singing a line of 'Memories' the theme from the Cats musical before '3 cool cats', but it was impossible to hear it because of the deafening applause, so we may change that for Blackpool.

:)

Sandy
20th-October-2003, 05:24 PM
Those Dundee folk, just can't keep them down!

Well done everyone (including those not from Dundee!).

Wish I could have been there but family commitments took over AGAIN! Never mind, next year!

Sandy x

Forte
20th-October-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by John S
Ah yes, that'll be the Hayley I was introduced to early in the day.

I was asked to dance with her to make her feel welcome, so I foolishly then asked her if she had been dancing long - and immediately had to cringe when she said she was up from London to partner Steve in the Advanced!:sorry :sorry

She was very kind to me, though, and brilliantly followed my first moves and yo-yos ........ all of them...... every time....... over and over.
:what:

I asked you to dance with her John because she didn't know anyone and she was very grateful to you and said she enjoyed the warm up so don't :blush: You made me so welcome when I started dancing in Perth recently.:cheers:

Daphne
20th-October-2003, 06:33 PM
Have I missed the results on this thread?

I know most through discussion, but are there any full official results?

John S
20th-October-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Forte
You made me so welcome when I started dancing in Perth recently.:cheers:
Ahh, NOW I know who you are, Forte, I had been wondering!!!
:kiss:

John S
20th-October-2003, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Scooby Doo
Have I missed the results on this thread?

I know most through discussion, but are there any full official results?
I think Scot said he would post them once he had recovered from his exertions, but pending that here's my recollection of them, apologies in advance for errors, mis-spellings, half-remembered names, etc:

LUCKY DIP:
Winners: Steve Lampert & Ann Milne;
Runners-up: Peter Phillips & Melanie Hutton

INTERMEDIATE:
Winners: James Lees & Melanie Hutton
Runners-up: Steve Burgess & Gail Millar

ADVANCED:
Winners: Steve Lampert & Hayley ????

OPEN:
Winners: David Martin & Denise McGuire

DOUBLE TROUBLE:
Winners: Bill Foreman, Fran Rinaldi, Denise McGuire

TEAM CABARET:
Winners: Fatal Attraction (can't remember all your names, sorry guys - it's the costumes, you all look alike!!)

Biggest winners of the day though would have to be Cancer Research UK, with over £6000 raised - Scot will no doubt give the final figure.

A really superb event, congratulations to Scot, Angela, Obi and all the rest of the team who put it all together.

Tiggerbabe
21st-October-2003, 10:25 AM
Just wanted to say what a fabulous day I had on Saturday (only got to the Friday night party for a short while but enjoyed all of my dances while I was there :D )
Huge congratulations to all of the winners - you danced your sox off :hug: but as has already been said to everyone else who took part - you are all winners - if you enjoyed the day half as much as I did then it's definitely been worth it.

At the risk of being a lovie - I'd like to thank Duncan, my lucky dip partner. Dave and Heather in the double trouble. Steve, (for managing to hold on when I was shaking with nerves :wink: ) in the Open and a HUGE thankyou to Alex for dancing with me in the advanced.

Was really pleased for Melanie and James - fantastic - and those outfits :drool:
and also to Steve and Gail - what a result for their first competition.

I thought that John and Hazel were brilliant as usual and Steven (the dancing penguin) and Irene also danced superbly.
Denise and Neil deserve a mention for those Mickey and Minnie outfits.

A HUGE well done to Steven, Irene and Linda for their double trouble performance, especially since they had only decided last week that they would do it. Watch out Bill and co, serious competition heading your way :waycool:

I LOVED the Alleycats performance and Fatal Attraction - two very different but very entertaining cabarets.

Thanks to Scot too for delaying the double trouble heat so that I could get changed after the lucky dip round - it would have been impossible otherwise.............even for me:wink:

I was very impressed with the speed of the results posting and glad that Gail had the foresight to bring a mirror with her for the ladies changing area :hug:
Can't comment on the food as I never had time to eat anything :rofl:

Had some fantastic dances over the weekend - great to see Dale and Peter who joined the Dundee MAd Crew. Didn't get the chance to dance with loads of people that I meant to - roll on the Beach Ballroom so I can catch up on all those I missed :sorry

Tiggerbabe
21st-October-2003, 10:42 AM
Missing person!!!!!!!!:sad:

Franck - you were sorely missed - next year, no holidays at competition time please :kiss:

Heather
21st-October-2003, 11:01 AM
Missing person!!!!!!!!:sad:

Franck - you were sorely missed - next year, no holidays at competition time please :kiss:

:D :D Ditto to that!!!!!

:hug: :kiss:
Heather.

Sheepman
21st-October-2003, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
The Coasters version.
Thanks.
Check out the version by Francine as well, it's not as smooth, but it's good fun.

Maybe it shouldn't be aired here, but I'm still fascinated to know who it was who treated their partner in such an apalling way, walking off the floor, you're supposed to be there to have fun, would he fit into Andy's definition of a "hotshot"?

Greg

Bill
21st-October-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by smiler
Ps. your legs do not half ache after all those great dances. time to put them up for a day to rest.

If you have sore legs again - give me a shout ! I need 'volunteers' so I can practice for my massage course. We've 'done' legs and moving on to feet then neck and shoulders. :D :na: Already have 3 volunteers from the Aberden class.

Heather
21st-October-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Thanks.

Maybe it shouldn't be aired here, but I'm still fascinated to know who it was who treated their partner in such an apalling way, walking off the floor, you're supposed to be there to have fun, would he fit into Andy's definition of a "hotshot"?I and a lot of other ladies at the Champs on Saturday would better describe this man as an 'ar**h**e'.
His poor partner had apparently been publically humiliated and shouted at, in a very public display, in the bar area of the Brunton Hall in front of several bystanders. She was absolutely distraught and in floods of tears when I saw her in the ladies loo. Had he reappeared later that day, he might have had a gang of Scottish women after his blood (we gals stick together you know :rofl: ).
Not only did he dump his partner, but he also ran out on his Lucky dip partner.
We took her under our wing and she danced in the open with my partner Dale, who came to her rescue. Later we took her out with us for some food, where she divulged the little rats name. I know that there are two sides to every story, and that there was some personal history between the lady and her partner, but I reckon his behaviour was absolutely atrocious and that he should be named and shamed!!!!He spoiled the day for his lucky dip partner too.
The Rat Bag of the Scottish Champs Award goes to you!!!

Heather.

Twinkle Toes
22nd-October-2003, 04:14 AM
Originally posted by Heather
I and a lot of other ladies at the Champs on Saturday would better describe this man as an 'ar**h**e'.
His poor partner had apparently been publically humiliated and shouted at, in a very public display, in the bar area of the Brunton Hall in front of several bystanders. She was absolutely distraught and in floods of tears when I saw her in the ladies loo.

... but I reckon his behaviour was absolutely atrocious and that he should be named and shamed!!!!He spoiled the day for his lucky dip partner too.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Come on now Heather, let's have it straight here, it's not like you to beat about the bush !!! :rolleyes:

The 'ar** ho**' was nothing but a spoilt 'Bar steward' who acted totally selfishly and irresponsibly because he wasn't getting his own way. (I too witnessed the above)

Hats off to Dale for coming to her rescue and to you too, for taking her under your wing and making her feel a lot better.

TT x :hug:

RoyBoy
22nd-October-2003, 06:44 PM
Have just landed, and got myself together, after the “Scottish Weekend” (it was a long descent). What a fabulous weekend it was. The standard of dancing, the variety, the organisation and the atmosphere generated by so many people having such a fun time, all made for a memorable experience. So many great dances with so many fantastic dancers. A special thank you to my DWAS partner Evonne – you were a star. I normally steer clear of competition (too self conscious) but you made it so enjoyable I forgot we were competing. Roll on next year.

Chris
23rd-October-2003, 09:45 PM
I'd also like to extend every sympathy (even though I wasn't there) to the lady who's partner left at the last minute before they could compete together.

What a terrible thing to happen - and what should have been a lovely weekend turning into a traumatic experience. I expect she's a lovely dancer; I hope that time will heal, and that she will draw strength from the incident in the long term.

I'm sure there's generally so much effort, good will, fun and cooperation going into competing (for most or all of us): to have the rug pulled out from under you at the last minute must be a devastating experience. Fun might be the objective, but that's not always so simple is it? especially when relationships and other tensions unexpectedly wreak havoc. Lots of big hugs. I hope she manages to turn the page and not be put off competing.
:hug:
It's a relief, I think, that Dale and Heather (and probably others) came to the lady's rescue with moral support and probably helped her to salvage some enjoyment from the weekend . . . That's one of the nicest things about the dance community, especially Ceroc.
There's many ways of giving support, and in something like that the natural reaction is often to say “what a b******” about the other party (even if you were friends with both of them) - it's simply saying: “don't worry, there's someone on your side.” It's a human and often welcome reaction of sympathy at the time - but not one that should be multiplied by third parties after the event.

I might not be very popular for doing so :devil: , but I'd also like to express a plea for tolerance as well, especially when we're talking after the event. The man in question, whatever the circumstances, probably had a pretty awful time too, and no, we don't know his side or the full circumstances (and probably don't need to) but he has an equal right to try and find happiness in his dancing and will have had a good share of opprobrium. He should know that the terribleness of the situation isn't permanent, that it's something hopefully to learn from and avoid in the future, and return to dancing a bit older and maybe a bit wiser. We can support people without it taking the form of prolonged bitterness to someone else, sending them permanently to Coventry, or socially blacklisting them more or less forever (which does sometimes happen, especially if the sentiments are spread through a group). I can't think of a way of saying this without some people probably thinking I'm sanctimonious, and I don't want to, I'm as human as the next person :sorry , but unkind words can last a very long time.

It's easy to feel sympathy for the one who was 'wronged' - it's a much bigger leap to extend a hand to the person on the other side - he is a person too. People often learn quicker through forgiveness.

The Dundee group have a great reputation for friendliness, so if he ever comes back, I hope he is given some warmth and encouragement as well, reaching out genuinely, with help and support, reassuring him he is still part of the dance community, rather than condemnation. (That means just what it is – it doesn’t involve taking his “side”.) People on the dance circuit don't just “go away” - and bitterness spreads bitterness, which is not what we should be about - is it?
:kiss:

Chas
23rd-October-2003, 10:40 PM
It was the first time I had been too any Ceroc Championships.
I had a awsome time and I love you all to bits.
I have read all the posts and all the gossip on this awful experience.
You have brought it all into prospectus. The lady in question had an awfull time but yes something just as bad must have made this guy react so badly.
Lets live and let live and hope everyone involved learned.

linda
24th-October-2003, 01:05 AM
The Dundee group have a great reputation for friendliness

Yes Chris we do, and if our poor unknown, who must have felt himself under some sort of pressure to do what he did, was to find the situation reversed and he was the one left abandoned, then I'm sure that he would be offered the same level of support and kindness that his partner was.

Chas,I'm glad that you enjoyed your vist north we loved having you all there as you really added to the atmosphere, don't know if I got a dance with you or not, if not there's always next year:grin: I also agree with you let's live and let live, perhaps enough has been said about this subject now, let's all just remember what a great day it was for dancing and the £6700 raised for cancer research.

Linda
The 'quiet one' Dundee MAd crew.

fred and ginger
24th-October-2003, 11:38 AM
I would like to say a big thank you to Denise.
Thank you, not only did you dance like a champ with me, but also looked after me like a prince for the week leading up to the Scottish compertion. I can't say thank you enough. You are a very special person in life to every one.

I have been to Scotland 3 time this year, and I love it there. The people are some of the friendliest that I have every meet, and I have always felt so welcome. This is one of the biggest reason the Scottish Compertion will become even a bigger success in the further. Well done to you all. you are a great county
Love Fred xx

Tiggerbabe
25th-October-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by fred and ginger

I have been to Scotland 3 time this year, and I love it there. ...........................you are a great county
Love Fred xx

County? COUNTY? - I'm sincerely hoping this is a typo Fred - :confused: :what: :wink: