PDA

View Full Version : Do you dance to the beat or the music?

Chris
17th-October-2003, 04:28 PM
Do you dance only to the beat or do you change the beats of your dance according to the melody?

It occurred to me listening to something like Tatu (All the Things She Said) that dancing to the beat can be boring. There's a beat there - but the changes in rythmn and tempo are far more interesting (IMO) and open to more interpretation on the dance floor.

You can 'find' a regular beat in anything if you try hard - from tango to salsa (ceroccers do it regularly in salsa clubs :devil: ) - but a regular beat can be very undemanding

(This is my first shot at a poll, so if I get shot down in flames or no-one replies I'll pick up that I haven't quite got DS's touch at it yet:what: )

Dreadful Scathe
17th-October-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I'll pick up that I haven't quite got DS's touch at it yet

I didnt touch anything guv - Im innocent i tells ya. :)

Gadget
17th-October-2003, 05:47 PM
Yes.

Personally, what I {try to} dance to is the song as a whole;
Over all, the beat has to be an underlying count that moves start and end on.
I try to match the volume and buildup of noise with moves bigger or smaller dramatics {eg in "oh so quiet"}
I try and use micro-routines of three or four moves seamlessly integrated for various phrases within a tune.
I try and link moves with lyrics when I know the song {..."just hold me close..."}
I try to 'slide' moves with sliding notes within tunes {eg in "moondance"}
I try to match the 'snappy' bits of instrementals with crisper movements.

but most of all, I try not to think about it too much and just move wherever the music takes me :waycool:

Actually, that reminds me; making moves end on a beat: Not end and then wait for the beat before the next move starts. This is one of the main things I think seperates advanced dancers from us mear mortals. (I just hate watching dancers 'bounce' on every beat - even just having hands bounce allong seems... juvinile {?} if you know what I mean.)

azande
17th-October-2003, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
Yes.

Huh:confused: :what: :confused: ???
It was an either/or question..........

Daisy Chain
18th-October-2003, 10:04 AM
I have a real problem with Craig David. I never know whether to dance to the tune his band are playing or the tune that he is singing. Whichever I do, it's immensely unsatisfying.

Give me the Mavericks any day....

Daisy

Dance Demon
19th-October-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Daisy Chain
I Give me the Mavericks any day....

Daisy

Yeeeeee-Haaaaaaaah.......I think most of the "modern" R'n'B stuff is like this..... not just Craig "can I have a rewind" David .Now the Mavericks, theres a real band. I've got four mavericks albums, and theres some pretty nifty stuff on them.
In fact I'm sure Trampy asked me to borrow them coz they're his favourite band :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Daisy Chain
19th-October-2003, 05:52 PM
*doesn't know whether to take umbrage as she's not sure if Mr Demon is taking the p*ss. :tears:

Forte
19th-October-2003, 05:56 PM
*doesn't know whether to take umbrage as she's not sure if Mr Demon is taking the p*ss. :tears:

Always work on the assumption that he is...:wink:

TheTramp
19th-October-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Yeeeeee-Haaaaaaaah.......I think most of the "modern" R'n'B stuff is like this..... not just Craig "can I have a rewind" David .Now the Mavericks, theres a real band. I've got four mavericks albums, and theres some pretty nifty stuff on them.
In fact I'm sure Trampy asked me to borrow them coz they're his favourite band :wink: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Takes all sorts I guess :D Not everyone can have a decent taste in music :wink:

Steve

Dance Demon
19th-October-2003, 06:38 PM

No need to take umbrage DC...I really do like the mavericks and have the albums.......Trampy on the other hand.........:D

DavidB
19th-October-2003, 06:43 PM
I have a real problem with Craig David. I never know whether to dance to the tune his band are playing or the tune that he is singing. For a lot of modern RnB, the 'band' aren't really playing much in the way of music. If you take away the vocals, you are left with a very syncopated drum-beat, and a few instrumental highlights. The vocals are the main 'instrument' for the melody.

I like this mix - for both listening to, and dancing. I tend to prefer female singers, because the vocals come across better as a musical instrument

Craig David's band do provide far more 'music' than most RnB bands, but yes - he does sing to something different again. A bit of an aquired taste!

David

Gadget
20th-October-2003, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by azande
Huh:confused: :what: :confused: ???
It was an either/or question..........
Like "do you eat milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?" ?? I eat both. I dance to both the beat and the music.

Daisy Chain
20th-October-2003, 09:58 AM
"No need to take umbrage DC...I really do like the mavericks and have the albums......." said Mr Demon

I guess we have similar taste in music Mr :devil: .....Britney, Steps, Sclub, Max Bygraves...... :waycool:

Seriously, have you heard the Texas Tornados and "Is Anybody going to San Antone"? It's fabulous for Ceroc dancing but I've never heard it at a jive night. :sad: guess I'll have to keep jiving round the kitchen to it whilst my toast burns.

Daisy

Graham
20th-October-2003, 11:52 AM
Like "do you eat milk chocolate, or dark chocolate?" ?? I eat both. I dance to both the beat and the music. I think you'll find if you re-read the original post that the correct analogy is "do you eat only milk chocolate, or do you sometimes like dark chocolate as well?" Yes is not an appropriate answer.

xSalsa_Angelx
20th-October-2003, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I think you'll find if you re-read the original post that the correct analogy is "do you eat only milk chocolate, or do you sometimes like dark chocolate as well?" Yes is not an appropriate answer.

Stop being so pedantic Graham, :rofl:

xSalsa_Angelx
20th-October-2003, 12:41 PM
I'll dance to a song if i like the song, and other songs i try and get the beat to before dancing, if i don't think it will work then i wont dance the track.

E.g who the hell could ceroc to the darkness..??

not me.>>!!!

Gadget
20th-October-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I think you'll find if you re-read the original post that the correct analogy is "do you eat only milk chocolate, or do you sometimes like dark chocolate as well?" Yes is not an appropriate answer.
:na: :D But sometimes I only eat milk chocolate, and sometimes I eat both... it depends on the chocolate. {Although I'm not too keen on white chocolate, so perhaps the anology is not 100% accurate :( }

BTW SA: I would dance to "the darkness".

xSalsa_Angelx
20th-October-2003, 12:53 PM
:

Im sure you would craig but would you get many offers to dance to with this song or would it be with your own shadow..?? :rofl:

Chris
20th-October-2003, 06:10 PM
:na: :D But sometimes I only eat milk chocolate, and sometimes I eat both... it depends on the chocolate. {Although I'm not too keen on white chocolate, so perhaps the anology is not 100% accurate :( }

How about . . .
2 oz Chocolate, unsweetened
1/4 c Sugar
1 c Coffee, double-strength and hot
2 1/2 c Milk
1 1/2 c COCA-COLA, chilled
Whipped cream or vanilla
Ice cream

In the top of a double-boiler over hot water, melt the chocolate squares.
Stir in the sugar. Gradually stir in hot coffee, mixing thoroughly. Add
the milk and continue cooking until all particles of the chocolate are
dissolved and the mixture is smooth, about 10 minutes. Pour into a jar.
Cover and chill. When ready to serve, stir in the chilled Coca-Cola. Serve
over ice cubes in tall glasses.

For a beverage, top with whipped cream. For a dessert, add a scoop of
vanilla ice cream. Makes 5 cups.:drool:

Ooops - I've strayed off topic :devil:

OK - well how many people would dance to "All the Things She Said" or the current No.1 by Black Eyed Peas? Would there be enough people to warrant DJs playing them? Taking Black Eyed Peas, are you going to stick to ceroc moves for the sections that go away from a regular eight beat?

DavidB
20th-October-2003, 06:55 PM
OK - well how many people would dance to "All the Things She Said" or the current No.1 by Black Eyed Peas? Would there be enough people to warrant DJs playing them? Taking Black Eyed Peas, are you going to stick to ceroc moves for the sections that go away from a regular eight beat? I'd love to dance to them, but I suspect I might have the floor to myself. 'All The Things She Said' is 90 bpm, and 'Where Is The Love' is 94 bpm. (As a comparison, Wade In The Water is 114bpm).

I'm interested where the non 8-count bits are in 'Where Is The Love' - maybe I have the wrong version?

David

Emma
20th-October-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by xSalsa_Angelx
Im sure you would craig but would you get many offers to dance to with this song or would it be with your own shadow..?? :rofl: I'd dance to it as well... :grin: Gadget - next time I'm in Scotland, I'll bring the CD!! :waycool:

Chris
20th-October-2003, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by DavidB
I'd love to dance to them, but I suspect I might have the floor to myself. 'All The Things She Said' is 90 bpm, and 'Where Is The Love' is 94 bpm. (As a comparison, Wade In The Water is 114bpm). I'm interested where the non 8-count bits are in 'Where Is The Love' - maybe I have the wrong version?
David

If you know the bpms you probably know the song (Black Eyed Peas) better than me :blush: but I was thinking of the main charts version, not a remix. Maybe I don't describe the sections that well - but there seems a strong difference between the flowing 'regular beat' sections / chorus (which suggest to me lovely flowing movements) and the 'rap' sections (which suggest a switch to something much more funky). Probably the same bpm but a big difference in the music. Maybe a faster song with similar contrasts would have been a better example. There again, you might fit four 'beats' quite easily into a single 'beat' on 'All the Things She Said' (as the lyrical emphasis does) with small stylish moves . . .

Pleased to know someone else would like to dance to those tracks anyway - maybe someone can weave it into the original topic better than I can!

Dave Hancock
22nd-October-2003, 02:04 PM
OK - well how many people would dance to "All the Things She Said" or the current No.1 by Black Eyed Peas? Would there be enough people to warrant DJs playing them? Taking Black Eyed Peas, are you going to stick to ceroc moves for the sections that go away from a regular eight beat?

I'd love to attempt to dance to this track, one of my fav's at the mo, though I might not stick to strict Ceroc moves, although you could always just ham up your moves to suit the music if you wanted.

thewacko
23rd-October-2003, 05:55 PM

POINT 1. Ithought you lot only ate deep fried Mars Bars:confused:

POINT 2. on a tuesday at Greenwich we all dance to "the darkness". As Emma "the darkness" is the DJ there:wink:

Lounge Lizard
23rd-October-2003, 06:13 PM
I have played this at Hastings at then end of the night, not mainstream MJ music but good for blues style dancing
p

Chris
23rd-October-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by thewacko
thought you lot only ate deep fried Mars Bars:confused:

Actually, no. Deep fried Bounty Bars are much nicer IMO - bigger contrast of flavours.:cheers: :rofl:

Emma
24th-October-2003, 12:31 AM
POINT 2. on a tuesday at Greenwich we all dance to "the darkness". As Emma "the darkness" is the DJ there:wink: Luckily I have now figured out which light switches to use, so you don't have to dance *in* "the darkness" :waycool: Though Phil..I am always open to bribery, hun....*evil grin*

Gadget
24th-October-2003, 01:00 PM
POINT 1. I thought you lot only ate deep fried Mars Bars:confused:
"only" ?? :confused: Chocolate is chocolate - why limit yourself? (and deep frying extends to pizas, banananas, pies, ...)

POINT 2. on a tuesday at Greenwich we all dance to "the darkness". As Emma "the darkness" is the DJ there:wink:
actually listened to it a bit closer - the "rap" areas would be challenging :wink:, but the chorus and female vocals have the standard beat.:grin:

Chris
24th-October-2003, 03:35 PM
"only" ?? :confused: Chocolate is chocolate - why limit yourself? (and deep frying extends to pizas, banananas, pies, ...)
I never limit myself, but the chippie round the corner said he'd fry anything (indicating the range of sweets). So I asked for smarties and he said no.
:tears: :rofl:

posted by Gadget steering it gently back on topic
actually listened to it a bit closer - the "rap" areas would be challenging :wink:, but the chorus and female vocals have the standard beat.:grin:
Yeah - that's what I meant I suppose - there's quite a lot of great stuff that fits well with 'Blues' principles of free musical interpretation, but without being classic bluesy-smoochy-lets-get-close-n-cuddly songs. Madonna's 'Die Another Day' and the great new Kylie song spring to mind.

Linking with other threads, Roger C does an excellent 'Romancing the Blues' workshop that gave me the key to breaking moves down into component parts (a big step for most blues dancers at the stage of trying to get away from set moves). Amir also has a workshop advertised for next month: 'How to Modern Jive, Perform and Choreograph to Any Music' which sounds like it might take similar elements perhaps in a more technical way (and more specifically applicable to Ceroc).
:cheers: