PDA

View Full Version : Tango while MJ/Jango-ing

gebandemuishond
11th-March-2008, 11:05 AM
Hi guys,

Has anyone got any tips for tangoing in a MJ environment? What I'm stuck on specifically is how to seamlessly move from the push-pull of MJ to the leading with your centre of tango. I went to a fantastic Jango workshop at the weekend where the idea that your arms are not really necessary for leading clicked for me for the first time. When we were doing 'the tango half' of the workshop I found I could lead crosses, pivots, ochos etc on nearly everyone there, but when it came to the T-dance afterwards, and people started slipping back into a MJ mindset, it didn't work any more.

It could be that I personally can't make the switch seamlessly enough, or that the followers were being taken by off guard. I think it's probably harder for the follower as they have to stop changing weight all the time, which might be a bit of a suprise. Or is it that I'm using too much arm-work when leading jive moves, and that if I tried to lead the MJ from the centre as much as possible it would be easier?

Any thoughts would be appreciated :flower:

Dan

timbp
11th-March-2008, 12:35 PM
Hi guys,

Has anyone got any tips for tangoing in a MJ environment? What I'm stuck on specifically is how to seamlessly move from the push-pull of MJ to the leading with your centre of tango.

I have no tips to help you, sorry.

I am confident and comfortable dancing MJ. And I often find after I've been to a tango class some of what was taught in that class seeps into my MJ.
Recently several partners who know I have been doing AT have commented that certain moves I do are tango -- but I know I have been leading those same moves long before I ever tried AT.

However, any time I deliberately try to incorporate AT into an MJ dance, the whole dance falls apart.

so in answer to your question, I say don't try to tango in MJ. Just learn the technique, and use the technique whenever it is appropriate, whatever dance you are dancing.

Astro
11th-March-2008, 04:21 PM
I can't Tango, but sometimes have a Tango ish dance.:cool:

The way this happens is if it is a Tango track, I'll ask the lead if he can do Tango and he does some if he can.

Perhaps if you verbally asked the follow at the start of the dance, then she would know what you wanted to do.

Gav
11th-March-2008, 04:55 PM
I don't think you could realistically expect most (if not all) followers to switch from MJ to AT seamlessly unless they know it's coming. Even then, some followers just struggle with AT until someone has shown them.
However, I would suggest that (at the perfect time, as suggested by the music) any MJ move into the AT hold (travelling return into close hold maybe?), then freeze for a beat or two while you gain your composure and your partner thinks "oh 'eck, it's AT time". Then you should stand a better chance of at least stepping off correctly. After that it's up to you. :what:

JonD
11th-March-2008, 06:03 PM
However, I would suggest that (at the perfect time, as suggested by the music) any MJ move into the AT hold (travelling return into close hold maybe?), then freeze for a beat or two while you gain your composure and your partner thinks "oh 'eck, it's AT time".
That's pretty largely what I do - bring the follower square (close or open embrace) and lead a pause. You need to make the pause fairly definite to stop any instinctive "step on every beat" tendency. I find that it's then best to work into a rotational movement rather than directly into a walk - perhaps into a forward ocho and play from there. It seems to make for a smoother transition, being less dependent on which foot the follower has her weight on; you just adjust which side you lead the ocho to compensate. Plus you're going to be dancing AT in a very circular fashion anyway as you can't progress round the floor the way you would at a milonga.

I also use the "turn out" in a first move - stop the follower as she steps back right, pivot round as she does so and "sandwich" her left foot; that should convince her that you're doing something different. I don't use the "sandwich" much myself, as I think it feels better to keep it flowing, but it's a useful punctuation if you're unsure of how the follower will react. Once you get comfortable with it, you can lead open walks straight into AT - with the follower on your right wait until she steps forward left pivot her round to face you and then continue the walk by stepping forward on your left as you lead her to step back right.

I had a couple of dances with Julie last night - lovely to do that again - and we were just mucking about to "Fever"; we seemed to glide between MJ and AT but I couldn't tell you exactly how. But then Julie is the most wonderful follower in both MJ and AT; she makes it easy!

philsmove
11th-March-2008, 08:43 PM
It is really difficult to switch from “Jive mode” to “Tango mode”

As has been discussed much times, the dances are very very different

As John D stays you have to lead a pause, then into a close hold

(Blues works workshops can be good for learning to lead a close hold)

But as everyone one around you will still be in “MJ mode” its very difficult to stay in “Tango mode “

and you will find your self leading a return, at the first sigh of difficulty

:blush:Hope this make sense

Spiky Steve
12th-March-2008, 02:51 PM
In my opinion the transitions are tricky but easier with someone you dance with regularly, probably because they know what to expect.

If you ever get the chance the I would recommend a Blango workshop with Lucky and Ruby. They spend time on connection and the importance of body frame etc for the different dance styles of Blues and Tango and the transitions between Blues and Tango. These transitions also work between Blues and Jive and Jive and Tango etc.

Have fun and try not to get frustrated whilst mastering.

Steve

Agente Secreto
24th-March-2008, 03:20 PM
I've tried mixing AT into MJ, and it does seem to go easier with people that know what to expect, probably down to the need to shift the tempo of the stepping. I've been to a couple of workshops at Southport where Amir shows how to move from the Manhattan into tango-style moves and this works well. I've bought the Jango DVD and one day I'll watch it and learn.............

Mr Cool
1st-April-2008, 07:01 PM
I love to lead ladies into tango tango is essentially a lead and follow dance.
Its always fun to try to lead a lady out of MJ WCS Lindy Blues even balboa
works for malonga.
Malonga fits so many types of music wonderful
I find it helps to say to your choosen partner step with confidence follow the lead always change weight and keep your weight on one foot never two.
As for malonga i find some can follow some cannot but its great fun trying.