PDA

View Full Version : Where to find East Coast Swing

Jivejunkie
10th-March-2008, 02:43 PM
I was introduced to East Coast Swing on Saturday when I went to a 40's and 50's Swing Dance Club with a very 'good' :wink: friend of mine. I found that our fusion of Rock n Roll moves with Ceroc suited the music well, but I would love to find out more about this 'East Coast Swing', which can best be descibed as an easier version of Lindy Hop - sort of lindy triple-step without the rock step!
Does anyone out there know where they teach this in the Midlands area, I know that they do it in Coventry on a Wednesday, but it's a bit far for mid-week. :waycool:

Lee Bartholomew
10th-March-2008, 02:51 PM
It's taught By Gipsy John in Hastings but that prob doesn't help much does it. I know this prob isn't that practical either but you might be able to pick something up off Youtube. YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://youtube.com/results?search_query=learn+East+coast+swing&search_type)=

Minnie M
10th-March-2008, 06:41 PM
I was introduced to East Coast Swing on Saturday when I went to a 40's and 50's Swing Dance Club...........

I go to many of the 40's Jive / RnR Clubs and used to run one at the Winning Post in Twickenham. I love the style and the music.

Try going to Rhythm Riot (http://www.rhythmriot.com/) this year, you will definitely find where they teach it in your area there. In the meantime, contact and ask the people who run Rhythm Riot (their contact details will be on their website) they teach this style all over London and have been doing this for about 15 years or more.

The continentals that go to Rhythm Riot (especially the French) use all 'OUR' :whistle: moves to swing/R & B music

See ya there !!!

BTW if you get to this weekend you will meet Gypsy John (he is a great lead)

MartinHarper
10th-March-2008, 11:55 PM
Does anyone out there know where they teach this in the Midlands area

Gary Boon in Gloucester teaches something that I would describe as East Coast in the first of his three classes on Thursday, describing it as simply "Beginner's Swing". He teaches predominantly six-beat Lindy moves with holds in place of triples. I don't know whether you'd think of this as Midlands, though. Where are you based, anyway?

As a leader, you may find it simplest to just go to regular Lindy classes and only retain and lead the six-beat moves.

~*~Saligal~*~
10th-March-2008, 11:57 PM
Try this website for some basic East Coast Swing info and repetoire - it talks about the rhythm of the music as well as showing in words and video clips how the steps are executed Learn to dance EC Swing with Ballroomdancers.com! (http://www.ballroomdancers.com/Dances/dance_overview.asp?Dance=ECS)
I first learnt ECS as part of a social dancing package when I started to learn partner dancing - and I loved it!

angelblue
11th-March-2008, 01:13 AM
!!!!GET YOURSELF TO A COUNTRY EVENT!!!

East coast swing is massive in the country world and has a very competative following (it is also one of the dances in the opn 8 comp)

I competed with east coast like 10 years ago in the country circuit. Its underated!!

clevedonboy
11th-March-2008, 12:45 PM
I was introduced to East Coast Swing on Saturday when I went to a 40's and 50's Swing Dance Club with a very 'good' :wink: friend of mine. I found that our fusion of Rock n Roll moves with Ceroc suited the music well, but I would love to find out more about this 'East Coast Swing', which can best be descibed as an easier version of Lindy Hop - sort of lindy triple-step without the rock step!
Does anyone out there know where they teach this in the Midlands area, I know that they do it in Coventry on a Wednesday, but it's a bit far for mid-week. :waycool:

ECS is very similar to Rock n Roll or beginners Ballroom Jive widely taught throughout the UK. It's also a close relation to Boogie Woogie, which is rarely taught but you can get a DVD by Marcus & Barbl that's very clear.

As Martin said though it's also akin to beginners Lindy Hop - most places only introduce triple steps at improver level, so it's pretty easy to get into.