PDA

View Full Version : Sylvia Coleman?

Gus
12th-October-2003, 03:35 PM
Just out of curiosity .....

I know that Sylvia and James were the founders of Ceroc ... but I must admit that I've never heard of her on the scene or, to my knowledge, met her. Anyone know about her background, part she played in spreading Ceroc, does she still teach?

bigdjiver
12th-October-2003, 06:57 PM
some interesting history here from Christine Keeble:

http://jiveoholic.org.uk/Discussiongroup/_disc8/00000002.htm

Chris
12th-October-2003, 07:25 PM
I don't know first hand but I understand she was a lawyer in the music industry, was in the Le Roc cabaret team and trained under Michel Ange Lau, and later joined forces with James Cronin to form Ceroc Enterprises Ltd.

Wasn't Roger Chin on the scene at the time? He might remember more . . .

Gus
12th-October-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Chris
I don't know first hand but I understand she was a lawyer in the music industry, was in the Le Roc cabaret team and trained under Michel Ange Lau, and later joined forces with James Cronin to form Ceroc Enterprises Ltd.

Yup ... aware of the early history (or is it a Legend?) ... but curious as to why I've never heard her name mentioned in all the time I've been dancing. I know she was supposed to be pretty good .... but did she continue to dance/teach/perform after Ceroc started getting organised?

Good point. Roger's already shared a number of personal recollections about the earlier days .... dispelling some of the myths ... will give him a call.:nice:

Will
13th-October-2003, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Chris

Indeed, Roger is a good man to talk to if you wish to speak to someone with first hand knowledge of World War II, The Great Fire of London, and Julius Caesar!

Roger C
14th-October-2003, 01:11 PM
Many thanks Will for showing my age - You missed out on my recollections of the Great War!

Now let's see Sylvia Coleman - hum ..... An attractive lass with dark brown hair and a gorgeous smile, full of energy and enthusiasm. She was a part of the Original Le Roc Display team.
She taught classes at the Middlesex and Herts County Club and Legends before moving on to Busbys nightclub near Tottenham Court Road station London - Which pre-dates the Central club.

Will, Gus I hope that this answers some of your questions.

Best wishes,
The Dance Oracle!

Gus
14th-October-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Roger C
.......before moving on to Busbys nightclub near Tottenham Court Road station London - Which pre-dates the Central club.

Best wishes,
The Dance Oracle!

....and since the Central club and its subsequent demise she did....... ?????

Minnie M
14th-October-2003, 07:00 PM
Calling David & Lily B ...........

Can you help with the "who and where is Sylvia" saga - please (isn't there a song with a similar name ? or was it a TV play /film):confused:

Emma
14th-October-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Calling David & Lily B ...........

Can you help with the "who and where is Sylvia" saga - please (isn't there a song with a similar name ? or was it a TV play /film):confused:

Who is Silvia? what is she,
That all our swains commend her?
Holy, fair, and wise is she;
The heaven such grace did lend her,
That she might admirèd be.

It's from two Gentlemen of Verona (Shakespeare), and was made into a 1930's style song for the recent RSC production (which actually must have been about 6 or seven years ago) :nice: It's a really good song. But I don't think you could dance to it ;)

DavidB
15th-October-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Minnie M
Calling David & Lily B ........... I can't say much more than Roger. I believe she was one of the original founders of Ceroc Enterprises with James Cronin.

I only danced with her once - on Breakfast TV in about 1987. At the time there were 2 regular venues for Ceroc - Pineapple Studios (James & Janie) and Busby's nightclub, which Sylvia ran. I was a student at the time, and Pineapple was cheaper than Busby's!

I haven't seen her for years - probably one of the Ceroc Balls at the end of the '80s.

David

Will
15th-October-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by DavidB
I only danced with her once - on Breakfast TV in about 1987.

Well, here we have official confirmation, that DavidB has in the past got out of his bed before 10.00am, even if it was back in 1987. :grin:

Or was it pre-recorded David :wink:

TheTramp
15th-October-2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Will
Well, here we have official confirmation, that DavidB has in the past got out of his bed before 10.00am, even if it was back in 1987. :grin:

Or was it pre-recorded David :wink: Nah. It was David's equivalent of Breakfast TV. For most people, it was on Prime Time :D

Steve