PDA

View Full Version : Dressing down?

Pink Lady
21st-February-2008, 03:03 PM
Something that Lost Leader said in the "Ceroc ... Life changing" threat about clothes that we wear to Ceroc. Is it just me, or perhaps just a local phenomenon, but lately my friend and I noticed that most ladies seem to be coming to dancing dressed in "normal clothes". (please no wise-cracks here about what constitutes abnormal clothes as opposed to normal clothes!):innocent: We remember when more ladies wore flouncy skirts - more skirts in general really - and strappy tops with sparkly bits on them and so on. Now most ladies seem to be favouring plain black trousers or jeans and day-wear type tops or t-shirts. I can't say we have noticed much change in the way the men are dressed - sorry chaps! So I was wondering if there is a general unspoken agreement that we have missed out on regarding acceptable dance-wear? For my part, I enjoy wearing something that I wouldn't wear during the day or weekends - there is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing. Comments?:nice:

martingold
21st-February-2008, 03:09 PM
Something that Lost Leader said in the "Ceroc ... Life changing" threat about clothes that we wear to Ceroc. Is it just me, or perhaps just a local phenomenon, but lately my friend and I noticed that most ladies seem to be coming to dancing dressed in "normal clothes". (please no wise-cracks here about what constitutes abnormal clothes as opposed to normal clothes!):innocent: We remember when more ladies wore flouncy skirts - more skirts in general really - and strappy tops with sparkly bits on them and so on. Now most ladies seem to be favouring plain black trousers or jeans and day-wear type tops or t-shirts. I can't say we have noticed much change in the way the men are dressed - sorry chaps! So I was wondering if there is a general unspoken agreement that we have missed out on regarding acceptable dance-wear? For my part, I enjoy wearing something that I wouldn't wear during the day or weekends - there is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing. Comments?:nice::blush:
its the same with the men. When i started everyone at a ceroc night dressed up (normally in black and white) now i agree with you people seem to come in jeans etc or what i would call normal day wear i wonder if its something to do with the amount of dancers we have now
At cerocmetro in chelmsford we have gone from about 60 dancers to 150ish every week so that might be the reason

Gerry
21st-February-2008, 03:11 PM
Something that Lost Leader said in the "Ceroc ... Life changing" threat about clothes that we wear to Ceroc. Is it just me, or perhaps just a local phenomenon, but lately my friend and I noticed that most ladies seem to be coming to dancing dressed in "normal clothes". (please no wise-cracks here about what constitutes abnormal clothes as opposed to normal clothes!):innocent: We remember when more ladies wore flouncy skirts - more skirts in general really - and strappy tops with sparkly bits on them and so on. Now most ladies seem to be favouring plain black trousers or jeans and day-wear type tops or t-shirts. I can't say we have noticed much change in the way the men are dressed - sorry chaps! So I was wondering if there is a general unspoken agreement that we have missed out on regarding acceptable dance-wear? For my part, I enjoy wearing something that I wouldn't wear during the day or weekends - there is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing.

I think Fletch :love:will be making a suitable comment fairly soon.

Personally I like to see a woman that makes an effort when coming out to dance.

I must admit that my woman allways makes an effort:awe: I'm pretty damm lucky:respect::clap:

Gav
21st-February-2008, 03:16 PM
I always make an effort, but I save my best gear and biggest effort for freestyle nights. To me, class nights are a learning environment and as long as you're clean and tidy, I don't really care what you wear.
Same as weekenders really, comfortable and casual for workshops, and lessons (even daytime blues room too), and smarten up for the evening.

dep
21st-February-2008, 03:18 PM
It seems to be understood that we all dress down on class nights with a few pleasant exceptions.
Come party night then all the ladies do impress. We appreciate the efforts, even if it takes three hours of preparation, adjustment, changing again......

As for jeans, I definitely dance cooler with jeans rather than trousers and lined trousers are sweltering. I would never wear jeans on a party night.

Maybe I should copy CJ and wear a kilt, but knowing my ancestry I would probably get lynched if I dared to turn up in a kilt.

Lynn
21st-February-2008, 03:19 PM
I love that I can dress up a bit when going to Ceroc, even on a regular night. Sometimes I feel in a jeans mood but would pair those with a nice top and maybe a denim hat.

And yes, a lot of the time I go for plain black trousers, mainly cos I have lots of pairs, I can wear a range of dance shoes with them, and I can wear almost any nice sparkly, strappy top. Plus being a light fabric they are a lot cooler than jeans!

But I wear what I feel like wearing, I don't worry too much about what others are wearing. If I want to wear my red flared trousers to a regular class night then I will!

Twirlie Bird
21st-February-2008, 03:22 PM
For my part, I enjoy wearing something that I wouldn't wear during the day or weekends - there is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing. Comments?

I believe that you don't need an excuse or an opportunity to dress up. I buy nice clothes and wear nice clothes all of the time. :DI believe in looking the best you can at all times. There are no excuses for letting yourself go and slobbing around in track suits.:angry:

As for the dancing fashion it does seem like a lot of the westies tend to dance in trousers. Maybe this is because they tend to wear flat shoes. I have to admit I have started experimenting with plain black trousers and different types of tops lately but that's because I have started wearing flats to dance in occasionally. Flats and skirts are really a big no no.:eek:

Lynn
21st-February-2008, 03:31 PM
As for the dancing fashion it does seem like a lot of the westies tend to dance in trousers. Maybe this is because they tend to wear flat shoes. I have to admit I have started experimenting with plain black trousers and different types of tops lately but that's because I have started wearing flats to dance in occasionally. Flats and skirts are really a big no no.:eek::yeah:

Same for me. WCS in heels and skirt feels strange and I also find that I can dance for longer if I wear flatter shoes. So more trousers. But I can still dress up with cute tops and I've also recently bought a pair of low heeled but sparkly shoes!

jive-vee
21st-February-2008, 03:31 PM
I rarely wear skirts at any time, they just don't feel like 'me' so I think it would take a lot for me ever to wear one when dancing - plus I would be worried about revealing too much and I think my style of dancing (if I have a style that is haha) is more suited to trousers.

Depending on how I feel it's either jeans, combats or black trousers but any of those can be dressed up or down depending on the occasion/my mood. Generally though it's either smart/funky casual for classes/workshops and a bit more glam, or more effort put into smart/funky casual, for freestyles. :grin:

dep
21st-February-2008, 03:32 PM
Flats and skirts are really a big no no.:eek:Flats are just fine, I don't have to stretch up so far.:waycool:

I now wear my heals more often and for longer and that gets me up to my partners' height. (there isn't a smilie for short arse).
Skirts, I wouldn't know, I don't look at the floor.:whistle:

If someone were to create a smilie/avatar for me then I could be grateful.

fletch
21st-February-2008, 03:37 PM
Something that Lost Leader said in the "Ceroc ... Life changing" threat about clothes that we wear to Ceroc. Is it just me, or perhaps just a local phenomenon, but lately my friend and I noticed that most ladies seem to be coming to dancing dressed in "normal clothes". (please no wise-cracks here about what constitutes abnormal clothes as opposed to normal clothes!) We remember when more ladies wore flouncy skirts - more skirts in general really - and strappy tops with sparkly bits on them and so on. Now most ladies seem to be favouring plain black trousers or jeans and day-wear type tops or t-shirts. I can't say we have noticed much change in the way the men are dressed - sorry chaps! So I was wondering if there is a general unspoken agreement that we have missed out on regarding acceptable dance-wear? For my part, I enjoy wearing something that I wouldn't wear during the day or weekends - there is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing. Comments?:

normal clothes :eek::rofl:

ooooo this is just a thread for me.

OK one of my hobbies has to be clothes, I do spend a few ££ per month on clothes the cheep part of a weekender is the cost of the weekender and the travel my clothes will normally cost a packet more.

I spend a lot of time each week planning my wadrobe where i'm going what's going to be right, this weekend is 'SFunk' and I realy wan't to 'get down on it'so its black trousers and i'v been to the 'playboy' shop and it playboy tops all the way, or bingo tops as we call them 'eyes down look in' :wink:

i'm not normally into black, but the dancing is the most important thing this weekend. although I have bought 5 only 4 to be worn this weekend ho yes and forgott the most fab goldish jacket to go with them, its just 1980's 'dalas' yeahhhhh!

I don't do normal I might when I reach middle age hehe!

I have Saturday night at Camber all hanging out ready, its emerald green, oooo and I just love them I have 4 outfits just for Saturday and one is sparkley like you wouldn't delive, poor Gerry, he came with me to choose my necklases and hair slides last week,after just over 1 hour he said i'll come back, :sick: it has to be just right, :waycool: I like to pay attention to the smallest of details.

When I started dancing I was a size 22 and couldn't fing anything nice to wear, now I have that much stuff its unreal, I have 7 doulbe wardrobes + storage boxes at the bottome of them, my loft and I have turned my moms spare room into a walk in wardrobe thanks to Gerry putting up rails.

The only time I think its a problem is when I put a dress in the wardrobe and I have already got it :blush:

I wouldn't wan't you to think i'm obsessed, I wonder if its a form of OCD

I enjoy shopping for others as well, I love it when I find some thing that fits and looks right on the pearson I have bought it for.

I need more smiles

fletch
21st-February-2008, 04:05 PM
I think Fletch :love:will be making a suitable comment fairly soon.

Personally I like to see a woman that makes an effort when coming out to dance.

I must admit that my woman allways makes an effort:awe: I'm pretty damm lucky

I was posting when you posted this, bet you didn't feel lucky last Saturday when I was getting my bit's thank you for my prezie. xx

I always make an effort, but I save my best gear and biggest effort for freestyle nights.

Gav you allways look fab, it realy 'P' me off to see a guy in an old crumpled 't' shirt, you haven't got to spend loads, i love a bargin, nice shirts for men

I love that I can dress up a bit when going to Ceroc, even on a regular night. Sometimes I feel in a jeans mood but would pair those with a nice top and maybe a denim hat.

And yes, a lot of the time I go for plain black trousers, mainly cos I have lots of pairs, I can wear a range of dance shoes with them, and I can wear almost any nice sparkly, strappy top. Plus being a light fabric they are a lot cooler than jeans!

But I wear what I feel like wearing, I don't worry too much about what others are wearing. If I want to wear my red flared trousers to a regular class night then I will!

flippin hec that the understatment of the year

you have more shoes than Emalder Marcos :worthy:

ooo nad I loved the ones you got from SP, i'v just bought a pair thanks to Genevive in black and white stripes, and I got a top to match this week just need the shoes to come so I can check they match

I believe that you don't need an excuse or an opportunity to dress up. I buy nice clothes and wear nice clothes all of the time. :DI believe in looking the best you can at all times. There are no excuses for letting yourself go and slobbing around in track suits.

As for the dancing fashion it does seem like a lot of the westies tend to dance in trousers. Maybe this is because they tend to wear flat shoes. I have to admit I have started experimenting with plain black trousers and different types of tops lately but that's because I have started wearing flats to dance in occasionally. Flats and skirts are really a big no no.:

good job you don't see me on a Thursday, I do all my treatment, face packs etc, :sick:

I'm trying hard with heals, but having learned in flats its not easy, I try and wear a dress to start with heals and then change into trousers and flats.

The pickture of you at Derby with black trousers and that sivler grey top was loverly

Same for me. WCS in heels and skirt feels strange and I also find that I can dance for longer if I wear flatter shoes. So more trousers. But I can still dress up with cute tops and I've also recently bought a pair of low heeled but sparkly shoes!

my new one osre the WCS shoes with a small heal i'm trying them, I also wear matching flat spangly shoes in the hope that it looks better than just flats. :what:

Pink Lady
21st-February-2008, 04:14 PM
normal clothes :eek::rofl:

ooooo this is just a thread for me.

I enjoy shopping for others as well, I love it when I find some thing that fits and looks right on the pearson I have bought it for.

I need more smiles

I'd love to go shopping with you Fletch - we'd have a ball! A woman after my own heart, although I don't think I'm quite as obsessed as you. :respect:

dep
21st-February-2008, 04:28 PM
Pink and Fletch,
I'm near Edinburgh and most will agree I need a new wardrobe.
You volunteering to come and take me shopping?

fletch
21st-February-2008, 04:37 PM
I'd love to go shopping with you Fletch - we'd have a ball! A woman after my own heart, although I don't think I'm quite as obsessed as you. :respect:

its sounds good but most get fed up with me, i'm happier on my own I neaver ask for advice or do I look ok, or should I wear this.

well almost neaver I did wear a jumper as a dress on the boat a few months ago, Gerry said it looked OK. serves me right for asking :blush:

Pink and Fletch,
I'm near Edinburgh and most will agree I need a new wardrobe.
You volunteering to come and take me shopping?

although I have been to Edinburgh i'm don't like shopping out side (my shops) I wen't shopping in London by Gerry's I just wanted to come home and came back with nothing,:mad: I wnet for some 'wig tape' I think I was talking a strange langue.:rolleyes:

I like to get a feel for the pearson i'm shopping for and I would need to be in your company for a while (usually a few free styles) :flower:

dep
21st-February-2008, 04:42 PM
usually a few free styleswe'll just have to arrange that!:awe:

ducasi
21st-February-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't enjoy wearing uncomfortable clothes. I don't enjoy dancing in uncomfortable clothes. Therefore I normally go dancing in my most comfortable clothes.

For parties and such, I do try to wear slightly smarter clothes (like maybe a fancy t-shirt and black trousers), but I'm sorry if people don't think I'm making a big enough effort. :flower:

I will make an effort for competitions, etc., where what you're wearing actually does count.

dep
21st-February-2008, 05:14 PM
for competitions......where what you're wearing actually does count.is that why I have never passed through to the second round?:(

martingold
21st-February-2008, 07:34 PM
I neaver ask for advice or do I look ok, or should I wear this.

well almost neaver I did wear a jumper as a dress on the boat a few months ago, Gerry said it looked OK.
ooh do you want to have a word with my Barbs cos she will always ask then wont believe me when i tell her
I am known to say it how i see it which doesnt always go down so well with people :blush:

MartinHarper
21st-February-2008, 09:09 PM
There is so little oppotunity to get a bit dressed up these days, I think it's nice to wear sparkly, floaty little numbers to dancing. Comments?:nice:

A Lindy friend of mine commented that Modern Jive seems to have a higher "sequin count" than Lindy, so I'd say there's still plenty of dressing up. I haven't noticed much change, anyway.

Twirlie Bird
21st-February-2008, 10:22 PM
normal clothes
I know. It's a strange concept isn't it. :eek:

i'm not normally into black, but the dancing is the most important thing this weekend. although I have bought 5 only 4 to be worn this weekend ho yes and forgott the most fab goldish jacket to go with them, its just 1980's 'dalas' yeahhhhh!

Looking forward to seeing the photo's as we are sadly unable to make it this weekend.

I have Saturday night at Camber all hanging out ready, its emerald green, oooo and I just love them I have 4 outfits just for Saturday and one is sparkley like you wouldn't delive, poor Gerry, he came with me to choose my necklases and hair slides last week,after just over 1 hour he said i'll come back, it has to be just right, I like to pay attention to the smallest of details.

Fletch you always look fabulous. I love the way that you pay attention to all the little details and everything is co-ordinated.:respect:

I

I will make an effort for competitions, etc., where what you're wearing actually does count.

It always counts. :flower:

StokeBloke
21st-February-2008, 11:35 PM
A Lindy friend of mine commented that Modern Jive seems to have a higher "sequin count" than Lindy, so I'd say there's still plenty of dressing up.As that's a relative judgment, it may just mean that the Lindy crowd are scruffier than average :wink:

~*~Saligal~*~
22nd-February-2008, 12:53 AM
*snip*I rarely wear skirts at any time, they just don't feel like 'me' so I think it would take a lot for me ever to wear one when dancing - plus I would be worried about revealing too much and I think my style of dancing (if I have a style that is haha) is more suited to trousers.*snip*. :grin:
:yeah:I dress for comfort - and I don't find skirts & dresses comfortable to dance in (I will wear them when performing and competition when required).
I'd prefer to be asked to dance because of how I dance rather than what I wear - although I do notice that at dance parties that if I wear something a tad more revealing than I would normally it seems to attract more dances (and I find this sad btw...)

Pink Lady
22nd-February-2008, 09:57 AM
:
I'd prefer to be asked to dance because of how I dance rather than what I wear - although I do notice that at dance parties that if I wear something a tad more revealing than I would normally it seems to attract more dances (and I find this sad btw...)

Really?:really: I can't say I've noticed that before, but now I'll be wondering! I agree that it's a bid sad to think that you might be asked to dance based on what you're wearing. I should test that some time - go looking quite scruffy (and scruffy doesn't come easy to me) and see if I get asked to dance any less.:wink:

DavidY
22nd-February-2008, 10:33 AM
We remember when more ladies wore flouncy skirts - more skirts in general reallyI know that if I'm dancing with someone wearing a skirt or dress, I try to be aware of the location of those ubiquitous blue fans that can blow air from underneath and have unfortunate effects.:what::eek:

Those fans have appeared quite recently - I wondered if they make a difference to whether people wear skirts or dresses?

ducasi
22nd-February-2008, 11:40 AM
It always counts. :flower:
Really? Does what a guy wears make much of a difference to how many dances he gets, or how much he & his partner enjoy the dance?

I can understand that it I turn up looking ridiculously shabby, I might not get asked as much – especially if I'm not known. But do "sharp dressed men" get more dance requests?

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 11:49 AM
Really? Does what a guy wears make much of a difference to how many dances he gets, or how much he & his partner enjoy the dance?

I can understand that it I turn up looking ridiculously shabby, I might not get asked as much – especially if I'm not known. But do "sharp dressed men" get more dance requests?

Maybe not if you go to a venue where everyone knows you, but if you go somewhere where your face isn't known, it definitely makes a difference.

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 11:56 AM
Beat me too it as I was going to do something similar.

I have too noticed the gradual dressing down by both males and females in the NW area.

But I always find it interesting when I choose to wear a football shirt (The Alex of course). I don't wear football shirt often, say, about twice a year but whenever I do, less people ask me. I tested this out at Stockport on Wednesday and it happened again.

So are people actually put off asking people to dance by just what they are wearing? If so, what's the hidden agenda?

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 12:08 PM
I don't wear football shirt often, say, about twice a year but whenever I do, less people ask me.
So are people actually put off asking people to dance by just what they are wearing? If so, what's the hidden agenda?

It's not the fact that it's a football shirt, it's the clods of mud and grass still attached to it. :na:

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 12:48 PM
It's not the fact that it's a football shirt, it's the clods of mud and grass still attached to it. :na:

Me? Do any form of physical exercise? NEVER! :wink:

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 01:37 PM
Really? Does what a guy wears make much of a difference to how many dances he gets,

If a guy presents himself well and smells lovely too, then I can't help myself, I'm drawn to him! :blush:

If I'm really honest, if a guy looks like his just got his clothes off the floor, with greasy hair, shabby shoes and looks in need of some personal grooming, that would REALLY turn me off of dancing with him. :sick:

Sorry guys, I'm shallow! :devil:

Bu then again, I really appreciate the men who DO make an effort! :yeah:

Going back to the subject of low shoes and skirts, I agree with TB, unless your very tall, that's why I mainly wear trousers at weekenders, I can't cope with hours and hours of dancing in high shoes!

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 01:49 PM
If I'm really honest, if a guy looks like his just got his clothes off the floor, with greasy hair, shabby shoes and looks in need of some personal grooming, that would REALLY turn me off of dancing with him. :sick:

Looks can be deceiving. Though my football was clean and not off the floor, you basically discribed my appearance on Wed very accurately. And you don't seem to be the only one. Personally I think that's wrong...

(and lucky for you, I can't rep you atm) :wink:

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 01:53 PM
Personally I think that's wrong...

So you're saying that if you saw 2 ladies you hadn't seen before, one was dressed very sexy and glamorous and the other had baggy, crumpled trackies on, you wouldn't want to ask the glam one first? :rolleyes:

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 01:54 PM
Personally I think that's wrong...

(and lucky for you, I can't rep you atm) :wink:

You can think what you like but I'm simply telling you how it is ;)

Lee Bartholomew
22nd-February-2008, 01:56 PM
I norm wear jean and t-shirt or shirt dancing as thats what I feel most comfortable in.

Some clothes I just dont feel comfortable in for example:-

At Jiveaddictions Monster Ball in Derby this december it was a Black and White theame. Having nothing fancy to wear, I went out and brought a £300 White Ted Baker suit. I felt really out of place in it and didn't psycologically feel comfortable so my dancing suffered.

Quite a few dancers I have spoken to feel the same about clothes and just have a dancing section in their wardrobe.

Also I hate sequins. So yester-year. :waycool:

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 01:58 PM
Quite a few dancers I have spoken to feel the same about clothes and just have a dancing section in their wardrobe.

Whaaaa?
You mean they have clothes for not dancing in? What's the point in that?

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 02:02 PM
So you're saying that if you saw 2 ladies you hadn't seen before, one was dressed very sexy and glamorous and the other had baggy, crumpled trackies on, you wouldn't want to ask the glam one first? :rolleyes:

I would go to whichever seems more approachable. I go to dance, not to pick birds up. :D

Double Trouble
22nd-February-2008, 02:09 PM
I would go to whichever seems more approachable. I go to dance, not to pick birds up. :D

Steve, with respect, appearances are important and I don't think you are being honest here. I know I get more attention when I dress up and make an effort.

I am also more inclined to ask a man to dance if I can see he has made an effort.

I confess...I also ask men to dance if I think they are totty, even if their dancing isn't that good.:blush: Any excuse for a bit of a flirt-up.:devil:

Oh..and by the way. Gav doesn't go dancing to pick up birds either. He's got the best one already.

dep
22nd-February-2008, 02:10 PM
So you're saying that if you saw 2 ladies you hadn't seen before, one was dressed very sexy and glamorous and the other had baggy, crumpled trackies on, you wouldn't want to ask the glam one first? :rolleyes:you're showing that you too are shallow.

I would dance with them both, whoever was first to be asked would depend on whose eye I caught as I approached.
Dance is all, in this game. Looks should mean nothing (there's anti Sleaze).

And they stand an even better chance of being asked (by me) if they are already sitting out.

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 02:13 PM
I go to dance, not to pick birds up. :D

Me too, and it may be an unfair conclusion to jump to, but people who make an effort, tend to make an effort in every respect. So a stranger who's made the effort to dress up, may put the same amount of effort into their dancing. Not a rule, just a way of helping to decide who to ask next. :whistle:

dep
22nd-February-2008, 02:14 PM
I went out and brought a £300 White Ted Baker suit.I would feel uncomfortable for weeks after spending £300 (on anything). There's a bit of Scot's blood in me.

Gerry
22nd-February-2008, 02:16 PM

I would dance with both but I would ask the glamerous one first, I sure thats a man thing but just because they look good doesn't mean your going to get a good dance.

I think most people that's men and women will tend to want to dance with the opposite sex or same sex if that person has made an effort with their appearance especially at a new venue.

This will all go out the window when the person that has not made an effort happens to be a wonderfull dancer IMHO

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 02:16 PM
you're showing that you too are shallow.

And they stand an even better chance of being asked (by me) if they are already sitting out.

No, just being honest. And I don't tend to ask people who are sitting out either (unless it's someone I really want to dance with). If people really want to dance, they tend to stand near the dancefloor. Yet another example of making an effort that gets you more dances.

Caz
22nd-February-2008, 02:26 PM
I would dance with both but I would ask the glamerous one first, I sure thats a man thing but just because they look good doesn't mean your going to get a good dance.

This will all go out the window when the person that has not made an effort happens to be a wonderfull dancer IMHO

:yeah:

Some of us girls are jeans and t-shirt girls but we do dress up occasionally :rolleyes: Some of us just don't feel comfortable in skirts etc. etc

I am sure I am not the only one who gets peeved off when men bypass the girls who are dressed smartly and comfortably for a girl in a short skirt and low cut top.....

I have to say that I get more dances when I am dressed comfortably - Southport - I wore comfortable but nice clothes all weekend. You can tell when someone is dancing and are uncomfortable in what they are wearing i.e. constantly playing with clothes / pulling skirt down / top up etc etc

:D

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 02:31 PM
Some of us girls are jeans and t-shirt girls but we do dress up occasionally :rolleyes: Some of us just don't feel comfortable in skirts etc. etc

I am sure I am not the only one who gets peeved off when men bypass the girls who are dressed smartly and comfortably for a girl in a short skirt and low cut top.....

There's a difference between dressing up and wearing hardly anything at all. One's good for asking to dance, the other's good for looking at. :blush:

Caz
22nd-February-2008, 02:35 PM
There's a difference between dressing up and wearing hardly anything at all. One's good for asking to dance, the other's good for looking at. :blush:

Yeh I get that....

You do find as a girl / woman that if u observe men asking ladies to dance they will ask the ones in least clothes...:rolleyes: Men.... :rolleyes:

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2008, 02:38 PM

Has it occured to you that some people sit out because they don't actually want to dance?:rolleyes:

Like Caz and a few other girls, I dance in clothes that are comfortable. I can't wear high heels, and won't wear a skirt with flats, so I mostly end up in black trousers and a top. I do actually try to find nice, sparkly tops that are not black, but it's really difficult to find any that a) are not strapless or with straps that just fall down when I dance, or b) that actually fit. So very often I end up with black. :sad:

As I can't wear high heels, I have however got two pairs of low heeled gorgeously sparkly shoes from Heavenly Dance Shoes. They have just enough heel to make them ok to wear with skirts. But I still feel much more comfortable in trousers.... Then I don't feel so self-conscious, and can concentrate 100% on my dancing instead of worrying about how I look.

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 02:40 PM
I don't tend to ask people who are sitting out either

:yeah:If I'm sitting down, its usually cos I want a break or I don't like the track.

I'e got to say, I'm actually amazed by some of the posts on this thread.

I have NEVER once gone dancing without showering and putting fresh clothes on first, I just wouldn't, its not in my nature.

I was at Hammersmith a few months ago and I spotted this 'tramp' wandering about in the venue, so I reported him to the staff but suddenly, to my dismay he asked some poor girl to dance. :eek::sick:

I've since seen him at another venue too! I'm sorry but I avoided him like the plague. Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen dancing with him!

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 02:44 PM
Has it occured to you that some people sit out because they don't actually want to dance?

:yeah:If I'm sitting down, its usually cos I want a break or I don't like the track.

That's the assumption I've always made. I've also had to explain that to a few ladies who were annoyed that they never get asked. I simply pointed out that if you're sitting in the corner behind a table, or as far from the floor as possible, it looks like you don't especially want to be asked.

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2008, 02:46 PM
I have NEVER once gone dancing without showering and putting fresh clothes on first, I just wouldn't, its not in my nature.

I was at Hammersmith a few months ago and I spotted this 'tramp' wandering about in the venue, so I reported him to the staff but suddenly, to my dismay he asked some poor girl to dance.

Ditto. I always shower, put on clean clothes (they might not be sexy and sparkly, but they're clean and tidy...) and brush my teeth before dancing. I don't like dancing with sweaty/smelly people, and I think a lot of people are not aware of how they smell after a long day at work, then going straight to dancing without washing or changing... :sick: And if someone look really scruffy and untidy, it makes me automatically think that they might not smell too fresh, either. And yes, that does put me off!

A man in smart black trousers and crisp white shirt (who smells nice, too!), however..... Mmmmm :drool: All of a sudden I got a mental image of Paul F - always immaculate! :respect:

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 02:46 PM

Jeans and Tshirts are fine, in fact I like men in trendy Tshirts as well as a smart shirt:waycool: .. what I'm talking about, is people who look crumpled or dirty. :sick:

Double Trouble
22nd-February-2008, 02:50 PM
I've since seen him at another venue too! I'm sorry but I avoided him like the plague. Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen dancing with him!

If the organisers had any sense, they'd ban him. If there was someone like that at my local venue and the organisers did nothing about it, I wouldn't go any more. I see enough smelly tramps in London offending my senses on every corner...don't want them at a dance event I've paid to be at. :sick::sick::sick:

martingold
22nd-February-2008, 02:51 PM
Ditto. I always shower, put on clean clothes (they might not be sexy and sparkly, but they're clean and tidy...) and brush my teeth before dancing. I don't like dancing with sweaty/smelly people, and I think a lot of people are not aware of how they smell after a long day at work, then going straight to dancing without washing or changing...
Barbs and i always do the same
And by the way its not only the guys who smell and are dirty
I remember someone who used to dance at cerocmetro chelmsford a few years ago in a time when there was a bit of a gang of us guys we had names for most of the women (only found out later that most of the women had names for us guys lol) her name was swampy cos she looked like she had just been dragged out of one
when dancing in the line one day she removed her shoe rubbed the inside as if to remove something that was on the inner sole then put he rshoe back on and offered me her hand :eek:

dep
22nd-February-2008, 03:00 PM
Has it occured to you that some people sit out because they don't actually want to dance?:rolleyes:no, it never occurs to me prior to the occasional refusal after I have asked.
I always assume the gender imbalance has something to do with it, or being a bit shy (refusing to accept that Cerocers ask each other to dance), or hiding due to lack of confidence in their dance ability.

Gadget
22nd-February-2008, 03:01 PM
The main problem is that I like to dress smart for parties and events... but if I do that, then what do I wear that's smart dress to class nights?

Recently I've taken to wearing a smart shirt, but probably still wear jeans. Workshops I'm a jeans and T-shirt person.

I find that if I am wearing smart clothes then I tend to stand taller, straighter and give myself more of a "presence" when dancing. If I'm in jeans and a T-shirt I will tend to laze more and hve a more relaxed, less precise attitude to my dancing.

dep
22nd-February-2008, 03:05 PM
I simply pointed out that if you're sitting in the corner behind a table, or as far from the floor as possible, it looks like you don't especially want to be asked.and there could be other reasons.
At least ask the girl, she has the option to refuse.

dep
22nd-February-2008, 03:07 PM
I find that if I am wearing smart clothes then I tend to stand taller, straighter and give myself more of a "presence" when dancing.If only that could apply to me, but somebody would accuse that one of handing out miracles.
(for those that don't yet know me, I'm quite short for my age)

CJ
22nd-February-2008, 03:07 PM
I would feel uncomfortable for weeks after spending £300 (on anything).

Man, when I spend £300 on a garment, I make sure I have it fitted first. Oh, and re ur earlier post.... ur legs aside:na:, I have no issue with U wearing a kilt. Frankly, the more the better. And, once U've danced in a kilt, U'll be reluctant to go back to trousers...

I'e got to say, I'm actually amazed by some of the posts on this thread.
Quite frankly, I'd be embarrassed to be seen dancing with him!

Lory, am stunned.:what:

Zara
22nd-February-2008, 03:09 PM
I like to dress quite casually by day at a weekender; combats, 'boyfriend' jeans and fitted tops. In the evening I like to throw on the odd sequined number now and again! But it will depend on my mood and my body shape/size of that week. As long as I am clean and tidy I wouldnt expect to be asked to dance any more or less due to what Im wearing.

its sounds good but most get fed up with me, i'm happier on my own I neaver ask for advice or do I look ok, or should I wear this.

well almost neaver I did wear a jumper as a dress on the boat a few months ago, Gerry said it looked OK. serves me right for asking :blush:

Im the same when I go shopping, I dont ask for my friends opinions, so m quite happy to go alone. I did when I was younger, but I guess now as long as I like what I choose thats good enough for me.

That jumper dress you wore on the boat looked great!

About the flats with dresses. I think little ballet style flats with a skirt and leggings looks fine. Plus, if you've got endless legs skirts and flats look good, anyone seen Mischa Barton? Its when you get into the blochs/trainers with skirts its dodgy ground :sick:

xxx

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2008, 03:12 PM
and there could be other reasons.

But many girls will not refuse, thinking it impolite, even if they actually don't want to dance just then.

If I approach someone who's sitting down for a dance, I will try to read their body language. If they see me approaching, and then busy themselves with looking through their bags, engaging in conversation with the person next to them, or otherwise 'look busy', I will normally not ask, as I see it as a sign that they want to be left alone (for whatever reason).

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 03:12 PM
and there could be other reasons.

Indeed she does, but why would I fight my way past standing people or tables to ask someone hiding, when I could just ask one of the people making an effort to look approachable. Especially if there's an increased chance she'll say no. :rolleyes:

I'm not saying I wouldn't. Plenty of times I've seen ladies who don't dance all evening hiding behind tables, or in the corner and I've asked them to dance, but it wouldn't be good to rely on that.

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 03:16 PM
Lory, am stunned.:what:
Stunned by the fact I wouldn't want to be seen dancing with a guy who looks exactly like a tramp :confused:

let me give you the mental picture here....

His hair is a filthy mass of frizz which joins his long frizzy beard and his clothes are very dirty and crumpled, seriously like they haven't been washed in months!

CJ, I'm stunned that your stunned at me! :what:

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 03:19 PM
Stunned by the fact I wouldn't want to be seen dancing with a guy who looks exactly like The Tramp :confused:

How rude! Poor trampy :flower:

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 03:22 PM
Steve, with respect, appearances are important and I don't think you are being honest here.

Seriously I am!

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 03:24 PM
How rude! Poor trampy :flower:

That's naughty! I could infract you, you know! :devil:

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 03:24 PM
No, just being honest. And I don't tend to ask people who are sitting out either (unless it's someone I really want to dance with). If people really want to dance, they tend to stand near the dancefloor. Yet another example of making an effort that gets you more dances.

That I agree with. I will target peole on the edge of the floor. But how they look isn't remotely important.

Gav
22nd-February-2008, 03:26 PM
That's naughty! I could infract you, you know! :devil:

Bl00dy power crazed mods :na:

CJ
22nd-February-2008, 03:29 PM
Stunned by the fact I wouldn't want to be seen dancing with a guy who looks exactly like a tramp :confused:

let me give you the mental picture here....

His hair is a filthy mass of frizz which joins his long frizzy beard and his clothes are very dirty and crumpled, seriously like they haven't been washed in months!

CJ, I'm stunned that your stunned at me! :what:

That you wouldn't want to dance with him, I completely understand.:flower:

That you wouldn't want to be seen to be dancing with him, I don't get. :eek: Besides... most people do leak out to the public their charity work, anyway!!!:D

dep
22nd-February-2008, 03:34 PM
But many girls will not refuse, thinking it impolite, even if they actually don't want to dance just then.

If I approach someone who's sitting down for a dance, I will try to read their body language. If they see me approaching, and then busy themselves with looking through their bags, engaging in conversation with the person next to them, or otherwise 'look busy', I will normally not ask, as I see it as a sign that they want to be left alone (for whatever reason).Maybe I'm too insensitive.

Tiger Pants
22nd-February-2008, 03:45 PM
I think this dressing down business is all the rage! I know that when I go out with my girlfriends 'clubbing' they are certainly more dressed down than they were say 5 - 6 years ago.

From a dancing point of view, I will dress up to arrive at a freestyle but don't expect to be dressed up for the whole evening i.e. I'll usually have more casual shirts or tee-shirts to change into. As for jeans, there was a time when I didn't own a single pair but now I prefer them to 'dress' trousers - in fact I don't consider them 'dress down' at all............ nice jeans, smart white shirt, dress jacket ...... you could take me anywhere!

Little Monkey
22nd-February-2008, 03:49 PM
I think this dressing down business is all the rage! I know that when I go out with my girlfriends 'clubbing' they are certainly more dressed down than they were say 5 - 6 years ago.

Or maybe we're all just getting older, and afraid of being seen as mutton dressed as lamb? :rofl:

From a dancing point of view, I will dress up to arrive at a freestyle but don't expect to be dressed up for the whole evening i.e. I'll usually have more casual shirts or tee-shirts to change into. As for jeans, there was a time when I didn't own a single pair but now I prefer them to 'dress' trousers - in fact I don't consider them 'dress down' at all............ nice jeans, smart white shirt, dress jacket ...... you could take me anywhere!

You always look fabulous, hon, and you smell nice, too! :D I'd take you anywhere! :whistle:

Twirlie Bird
22nd-February-2008, 05:40 PM
Rea But do "sharp dressed men" get more dance requests?

They sure do. :wink: It makes sense doesn't it? If a guy has put that extra effort in then firstly they look more attractive and secondly the chance of them smelling bad is very low. So, yes they would get more dances.

If a guy presents himself well and smells lovely too, then I can't help myself, I'm drawn to him!

Me too. Probably not just the two of us either. Try it out guys. Dress really hot and see what happens.

Sorry guys, I'm shallow!

It's not being shallow. It's being honest. Who wants to dance with somebody like that. :confused: We are not obliged to dance with anyone.

Looks can be deceiving. Though my football was clean and not off the floor, you basically discribed my appearance on Wed very accurately. And you don't seem to be the only one. Personally I think that's wrong...

You may think it's wrong and it may indeed be wrong. However that is how it works. There's a reason they don't wear football shirts on strictly you know.:D

Me too, and it may be an unfair conclusion to jump to, but people who make an effort, tend to make an effort in every respect. So a stranger who's made the effort to dress up, may put the same amount of effort into their dancing. Not a rule, just a way of helping to decide who to ask next.

Yep what that man said! If you can't co-ordinate your wardrobe then there's a good chance you can't co-ordinate your feet! :rolleyes:

I completely get this comment. I was at a weekend last autumn and there was this guy in a shirt, shorts, socks and shoes! There is absolutely no way I would of danced with him. :sick: I would have been so embarrassed and I'm sure the dance would have been awful too.

when dancing in the line one day she removed her shoe rubbed the inside as if to remove something that was on the inner sole then put he rshoe back on and offered me her hand

OMG I am going to be sick! That is disgusting. :eek:

killingtime
22nd-February-2008, 06:22 PM
I have NEVER once gone dancing without showering and putting fresh clothes on first, I just wouldn't, its not in my nature

Likewise. In part feeling clean makes a huge difference to my confidence when dancing.

Me too. Probably not just the two of us either. Try it out guys. Dress really hot and see what happens.

I'm not sure I've dressed "really hot" but generally I find if I've dressed for a formal occasion (such as new years) then I'll be hot before the end of the first dance and possibly onto my second shirt by the third.

It's interesting to see the "dress for comfort"/"dress to impress" camps though.

Twirlie Bird
22nd-February-2008, 06:29 PM
It's interesting to see the "dress for comfort"/"dress to impress" camps though.

I'm in the dress to feel good camp. :wink:

jive-vee
22nd-February-2008, 06:29 PM
Likewise. In part feeling clean makes a huge difference to my confidence when dancing.

I guess I dress mainly for comfort and a huge part of that is dressing for confidence - if the clothes are comfortable and suitable for dancing and I think I look reasonably ok then that boosts my confidence which hopefully means I look more approachable. :confused: does that make sense? :rofl:

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 06:37 PM

I dress in 'my' comfort zone (its called black :D)

killingtime
22nd-February-2008, 06:48 PM

I guess I dress mainly for comfort and a huge part of that is dressing for confidence - if the clothes are comfortable and suitable for dancing and I think I look reasonably ok then that boosts my confidence which hopefully means I look more approachable. :confused: does that make sense? :rofl:

Completely. I fully understand that looking good can be very important factor in feeling good. Though I think that how much of a factor that is can vary from person to person.

I really hate when I feel sweaty and so I try to insure, that, whatever I wear is good at keeping me cool. This helps my confidence which, in turn, helps my overall dancing. I see that as a much more important factor in my dressing that the overall "looking good" factor (WARNING Endless Debate Topic: though not enough that I would wear shorts but I think people should have the right to wear them even if they do look silly).

DavidY
22nd-February-2008, 06:56 PM
If you can't co-ordinate your wardrobe then there's a good chance you can't co-ordinate your feet! :rolleyes:Why should there be a link?

I can never tell which colour "goes" with which other colour (or even which clash horribly) - no matter how hard I try, I just can't see it and need to get other people to tell me.

Why should that mean I can't dance? :confused:

Astro
22nd-February-2008, 06:59 PM
Its when you get into the blochs/trainers with skirts its dodgy ground :sick:

xxx

That's why I have to wear trousers as I dance best in blochs traineres.

So it's a question of going to pose in heel and a dress or going to dance in trousers and trainers.

Plus I can't dance in regular jeans anymore - they are too restricting. I noticed most of the blokes wear really baggy jeans for movement.

So I usually wear trousers with a bit of stretch in them - thing is this exposes the tum. :sad:

Combats are good for freedom of movement, but the hems are very wide and all those toddles can catch.

I'm always on the look out for the perfect trousers. Unfortunately.

Why is it so hard to find a pair of trousers with pockets in? They put them in men's trousers, but not womens. :angry:

Must be why jeans are so popular. But baggy jeans don't really do anything for me and they are not very dressy.

If you're forced into trousers, then you can make up for it with a flash top. It doesn't have to be black to match black trousers. Black goes with any colour.

Steven666
22nd-February-2008, 07:54 PM
Completely. I fully understand that looking good can be very important factor in feeling good. Though I think that how much of a factor that is can vary from person to person.

I really hate when I feel sweaty and so I try to insure, that, whatever I wear is good at keeping me cool. This helps my confidence which, in turn, helps my overall dancing. I see that as a much more important factor in my dressing that the overall "looking good" factor (WARNING Endless Debate Topic: though not enough that I would wear shorts but I think people should have the right to wear them even if they do look silly).

I have wore shorts before. Even wore sunglasses in a dark room. In fact with the football shirt that could have been on the same night being my birthday. I was drunk...again...

Lory
22nd-February-2008, 07:57 PM
I have wore shorts before. Even wore sunglasses in a dark room. In fact with the football shirt that could have been on the same night being my birthday. I was drunk...again...

Well, as long as your happy with the amount of interest you gain from your potential partners and you don't mind the odd few avoiding you. I'd say, fair play! :wink:

MartinHarper
22nd-February-2008, 08:05 PM
The discussion of smell and cleanliness is kinda off-topic. It's possible to be clean and dress down (freshly laundered, unironed T-shirt) and to be dirty and dress up (DJ that's been worn several times without dry-cleaning).

Well, the short skirt and low cut top are obviously more suitable for dancing, with all that freedom of movement and heat control.
On the other hand, high heels are only suitable for silly forms of dancing.

dep
22nd-February-2008, 08:24 PM
If you can't co-ordinate your wardrobe then there's a good chance you can't co-ordinate your feet! :rolleyes:Now my dress sense (or lack of it) and my inability to learn other dance styles, that do require foot thinking, starts to fall into place.
Sorry DavidY,
I see the connection even if you can't/won't.

dep
22nd-February-2008, 08:34 PM
On the other hand, high heels are only suitable for silly forms of dancing.I've seen and danced with, many a Follower in high heels and very competent they were too. I suspect if a dancer can walk properly in high heels then most can also dance properly in them.
Highs do add a touch of "Elegance" to the style. That makes the dance even nicer, because it lifts your own game to try to match the higher level.

And before you all jump in, I was not wearing the high heels, mine are only 14mm higher than the male norm.

StokeBloke
22nd-February-2008, 08:47 PM
Its when you get into the blochs/trainers with skirts its dodgy ground :sick:

xxxI hate blochs. Many is the time when I have danced with someone who felt clompy and heavy to lead and noticed that they were wearing those awful bloomin' blochs. I dance with an experienced lady who used to wear them 'things' and she recently has changed to a small heeled dance shoe. It was a revelation! She is like a completely different dancer! Even she said she can feel the difference. :flower:

fletch
23rd-February-2008, 06:56 AM
sorry just catching up on this tread

Fletch you always look fabulous. I love the way that you pay attention to all the little details and everything is co-ordinated.

thank you.

xx

As that's a relative judgment, it may just mean that the Lindy crowd are scruffier than average

no I just think that the 1940's 1950's look is less spangley.

although I do notice that at dance parties that if I wear something a tad more revealing than I would normally it seems to attract more dances (and I find this sad btw...)

true but, I have been at both ends of the scale, when I started dancing I was a size 22 with dark brown hair and a black 'A' line skirt.

I get more dances now, thats life.

I should test that some time -

no need its true, but its true about lots of things, when your bigger your not asked about fasion, make up, all sorts of things, peoples attitude changes drastically when your slimmer, or dressed up.

But do "sharp dressed men" get more dance requests?

the answer to this IMHO is yes but............if there not much cop at dancing, they havn't got the wow factor.

Bu then again, I really appreciate the men who DO make an effort!

Going back to the subject of low shoes and skirts, I agree with TB, unless your very tall, that's why I mainly wear trousers at weekenders, I can't cope with hours and hours of dancing in high shoes!

and I allways tell them they look nice, we like to be told i'm sure the men do to.

the two people that amaze me TB and Rachel, still dancing at 5/6 in the morning in heels worthy!

I would feel uncomfortable for weeks after spending £300 (on anything). There's a bit of Scot's blood in me.

im saying nothing :blush:

i.e. constantly playing with clothes / pulling skirt down / top up etc etc

:blush:

There's a difference between dressing up and wearing hardly anything at all. One's good for asking to dance, the other's good for looking at.

what happens when the one thats good to look at turns out to be, not a bad dancer ?

I was at Hammersmith a few months ago and I spotted this 'tramp' wandering about in the venue, so I reported him to the staff but suddenly, to my dismay he asked some poor girl to dance.

We allways dance,:flower: he's actually a very nice dancer, he neaver pulls you close to him so you don't get his hair in your face or his clothes next to your body, he lets you play, and gives you the nicest of smiles.

He will proberbly be at Hammersmith tomorrow, and we will dance at least two seperate occasions, I do see girls watching us dancing with a look on there face of why? I hope that me dancing with him gets him other dances, but I would neaver ask anyone to dance with him the way I ask people to dance with some of my crowd. :cheers:

A man in smart black trousers and crisp white shirt (who smells nice, too!), however..... Mmmmm :drool: All of a sudden I got a mental image of Paul F - always immaculate!

yeah that!

there are some loverly dresser in MJ

Simon R the best dressed man in MJ (ok Nicol proberbly dresses him) but still looks the bizz.

you could take me anywhere!

aint that the truth

xx

I'm in the dress to feel good camp.

funny how you neaver feel good when your not dressed up.

worthy

Why should there be a link?

I can never tell which colour "goes" with which other colour (or even which clash horribly) - no matter how hard I try, I just can't see it and need to get other people to tell me.

ooo David you don't know how long I have waited to hear this.

I'v been dying to get my hands on you, some times you look just terrific, you have the most loverly pale blue shirt, the coulor realy looks good on you, but then you wear brown stripes, and it dosn't have the same effect, leave the brown alone.

shall I go shopping for you :clap:

I hate blochs.

me to, yuk!

Easily Led
23rd-February-2008, 10:37 AM
I love to dress up too, mainly to help with my confidence. It has lead to wardrobe space issues but I am nothing compared to Twirlie Bird and Fletch! However, I am most amazed by Rachel as I see her every week and she always looks gorgeous and it is never the same outfit twice:respect:! she must have a wardrobe the size of a planet! She was looking especially fabulous last night at Rugby.

Double Trouble
23rd-February-2008, 10:41 AM
it is never the same outfit twice:respect:!

How do people do that? I don't think I've ever seen Fletch wear the same thing twice, it must cost a flippin fortune.

dep
23rd-February-2008, 11:58 AM
what happens when the one thats good to look at turns out to be, not a bad dancer ?magic:clap::respect::clap:

DavidY
23rd-February-2008, 12:33 PM
If you can't co-ordinate your wardrobe then there's a good chance you can't co-ordinate your feet! :rolleyes:

Why should there be a link?

Why should that mean I can't dance? :confused:
Sorry DavidY,
I see the connection even if you can't/won't.

ooo David you don't know how long I have waited to hear this.

I'v been dying to get my hands on you, some times you look just terrific, you have the most loverly pale blue shirt, the coulor realy looks good on you, but then you wear brown stripes, and it dosn't have the same effect, leave the brown alone.

shall I go shopping for youI think Fletch is helping me make my point that fashion sense isn't linked to dancing ability. Suppose I went shopping with Fletch and ended up with a new wardrobe - would that suddenly make my dancing any better? I don't see why it should.

And actually (although I say it myself :blush:) my MJ dancing is already, on a good day, pretty good. I put this down to: going to lots of workshops and weekenders I find it easy to "hear" music putting the hours inIt's a different set of skills and experience to having good fashion sense (and I freely admit I can't see which colours "go").

By the same token, there must be people out there who have brilliant fashion sense, are always immaculately dressed, but can't "hear" the music and aren't brilliant dancers. Everyone's different.:flower:

So I still don't understand why there should be a link.:confused:

dep
23rd-February-2008, 12:51 PM
I still don't understand why there should be a link.:confused:maybe we're a bit tongue in cheek.:wink:

Twirlie Bird
23rd-February-2008, 04:46 PM

Are you being serious? Care to explain this thinking? :confused:

I've seen and danced with, many a Follower in high heels and very competent they were too. I suspect if a dancer can walk properly in high heels then most can also dance properly in them.
Highs do add a touch of "Elegance" to the style. That makes the dance even nicer, because it lifts your own game to try to match the higher level.

I can walk in very high heels. I have a pair of 7 inch shoes that not only can I walk in I can also dance in them. Some people have been daring me to wear them to a freestyle just to freak others out as I suddenly tower over them. :eek: It is weird.

However I dance on the balls of my feet mainly so it really doesn't matter what size heels I am wearing. Also high heels make the legs look stunning. Just look at Rachel. :awe:

fletch
23rd-February-2008, 05:22 PM
How do people do that? I don't think I've ever seen Fletch wear the same thing twice, it must cost a flippin fortune.[/QUOTE]

not when you shop at beewise :wink:

[QUOTE=dep;455643]magic

that'll be it

I wiggle my nose :whistle:

I think Fletch is helping me make my point that fashion sense isn't linked to dancing ability. Suppose I went shopping with Fletch and ended up with a new wardrobe - would that suddenly make my dancing any better? I don't see why it should.

And actually (although I say it myself :blush:) my MJ dancing is already, on a good day, pretty good. I put this down to:going to lots of workshops and weekendersI find it easy to "hear" musicputting the hours inIt's a different set of skills and experience to having good fashion sense (and I freely admit I can't see which colours "go").

By the same token, there must be people out there who have brilliant fashion sense, are always immaculately dressed, but can't "hear" the music and aren't brilliant dancers. Everyone's different.
So I still don't understand why there should be a link.

your dancing is good, I love daning with you, its an all round package, why not look the best you can? it does help with my self confidence and in turn my confidence on the dance floor, so it does make me a better dancer, but were all different, your right

and ooooiy what you trying to say David I can hear the music, well when I shut up long enough to hear it :na:

Are you being serious? Care to explain this thinking?

Also high heels make the legs look stunning. Just look at Rachel.

Rachel has the best leg in MJ in MO

Go for it TB I would be in awe of you,:worthy: wish I could dance in little heals, i'm trying.

and Martins comment can only be because he carn't dance in heals :na:

StokeBloke
23rd-February-2008, 06:17 PM
Rachel has the best leg in MJ in MO *cough* what about mine :tears:

ducasi
23rd-February-2008, 07:15 PM
Heels can be great – for all the reasons that they are great when you're not dancing.

However, they don't work for all dance styles. They're great for Tango, they just don't work if you are trying to get funky in either MJ or WCS.

(All IMHO. :flower:)

David Bailey
23rd-February-2008, 07:40 PM
I confess...I also ask men to dance if I think they are totty, even if their dancing isn't that good.:blush: Any excuse for a bit of a flirt-up.:devil:

Hmmmm.

Actually, "over-dressed-up" women, I avoid like the plague at a normal MJ night. They're often the ones with the worst attitude.

Looks should mean nothing (there's anti Sleaze).
Looks always have some affect - in anything, not justr dancing partners. That's life.

My choice is on ability first, then attitude, then "the visuals" third. But I'd never pretend that "the visuals" are irrelevant.

David Bailey
23rd-February-2008, 07:42 PM
You do find as a girl / woman that if u observe men asking ladies to dance they will ask the ones in least clothes...:rolleyes: Men.... :rolleyes:
If you look a little closer, you'll also find that the type of men doing the asking (often) aren't the top-flight dancers; well, unless the top-flight dancers are obviously primarily there that evening for, ahem, non-dancing purposes...

David Bailey
23rd-February-2008, 08:37 PM
I'm in the "dress to dance" camp.

I really don't need to dress up to get dances - if I feel in the mood I will, but mostly I'll dress for comfort rather than style.

I dress in 'my' comfort zone (its called black :D)
:rolleyes:

Oi! Them's fightin' words... :na:

fletch
24th-February-2008, 03:20 AM

I really don't need to dress up to get dances - if I feel in the mood I will, but mostly I'll dress for comfort rather than style.

black 't' shirt tucked in and black trousers isn't it DJ ? we all have our own style. :flower:

martingold
24th-February-2008, 10:32 AM
black 't' shirt tucked in and black trousers isn't it DJ ? we all have our own style. :flower:

unlike me if your slim enough i would say a nicely ironed black T shirt tucked into nicely ironed black trousers would look very smart indeed
I have to leave mine un-tucked otherwise me belly looks huge :blush:

Having said that I always wear a T shirt either black or white to lessons (its about being comfortable as well as looking chique ) at a freestyle I would start in a shirt changing to a T when it gets to hot
Never would i wear jeans to a lesson or a freestyle one they are thick and get really hot two for me they are day wear so when i go out at night i want to wear something different

David Bailey
24th-February-2008, 12:18 PM
OK, so what's up with all these snippy comments?

You've been making subtle digs at a few people for a while now, what's the problem?

dep
24th-February-2008, 01:24 PM
Looks always have some affect - in anything, not justr dancing partners. That's life.

My choice is on ability first, then attitude, then "the visuals" third. But I'd never pretend that "the visuals" are irrelevant.I give in,:wink:
I saw the legs last night.:innocent: You're nearly right, looks are everything.:devil::devil:
I succumbed.:drool::blush:

Twirlie Bird
24th-February-2008, 04:19 PM

Is this how you dress in everyday life as well, not just dancing? I'm guessing it is.

That's the same for me. I don't just dress up for dancing. I dress up for life. Every day I choose my clothes very carefully. Yes this means I compromise on comfort. I'm sure it would be far more comfortable to walk around every day in trainers rather than heels. This wouldn't make me feel as good about myself though so I would rather compromise on the comfort.

We all have things that make us feel good about ourselves. Feel more confident. Feel happier. For me that's looking good. :flower:

OK, so what's up with all these snippy comments?

You've been making subtle digs at a few people for a while now, what's the problem?

Maybe you are just feeling extra sensitive? :confused:

Lynn
24th-February-2008, 04:32 PM
I don't just dress up for dancing. I dress up for life. Every day I choose my clothes very carefully. Yes this means I compromise on comfort. I'm sure it would be far more comfortable to walk around every day in trainers rather than heels. This wouldn't make me feel as good about myself though so I would rather compromise on the comfort.

We all have things that make us feel good about ourselves. Feel more confident. Feel happier. For me that's looking good. :flower:Completely agree and I love putting together outfits. They don't have to be dressed up, its just the fun of putting together an outfit that is what I feel in the mood for that day. So it could be skirt and heels, or jean and boots. I sometimes try a few combinations before I decide what I want to wear.

Does anyone else start with one thing then put the outfit together round that?

This morning I wanted to wear my new boots to church (which I love) and which are brown so that meant the rest of the outfit was planned round those!

Twirlie Bird
24th-February-2008, 04:42 PM
Does anyone else start with one thing then put the outfit together round that?

Yep and sometimes it's not even clothing. Could be an accessory. :D

Lynn
24th-February-2008, 05:15 PM
Yep and sometimes it's not even clothing. Could be an accessory. :DYes, today it was the boots (so pleased with my new boots cos I love the look but they are comfy too!). But sometimes I want to wear a necklace etc and then find a top that will show off the necklace well then the rest of the outfit builds from there...

Oh dear, hope I don't sound really vain! :rofl: Its the creative fun in putting things together that I love.

Astro
24th-February-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, the short skirt and low cut top are obviously more suitable for dancing, with all that freedom of movement and heat control. Actually trousers are much cooler. A skirt/dress needs Bridget Jones knickers and nylon tights.

Tessalicios can dance great in heels.

For me though it's function over form or form over function.

My choice is on ability first, then attitude, then "the visuals" third. But I'd never pretend that "the visuals" are irrelevant.

The two visuals on the front DJ? :wink:

not when you shop at beewise :wink:
Why not ask yout favourite shop to lend you clothes to advertise all over the UK at Modern Jive?

[/quote]

Yes, today it was the boots (so pleased with my new boots cos I love the look but they are comfy too!). But sometimes I want to wear a necklace etc and then find a top that will show off the necklace well then the rest of the outfit builds from there...

Oh dear, hope I don't sound really vain! :rofl: Its the creative fun in putting things together that I love.

Maybe you're in the wrong job, Lynn :flower:

Princess Fi
24th-February-2008, 06:09 PM
The dressing down thing is something I've seen alot of at my local venue recently (so much so that I'm beginning to get really self conscious when I'm dressed up -sparkly top and jeans not way OTT here - on a normal Tuesday night surrounded by girls in combats and polo shirts:()

But the way you dress does have a direct impact on how many people will ask you to dance. Despite dancing for years now, I'm still too shy to ask people to dance 90% of the time. So I do notice the difference on different "dress" nights.

I've never been asked as much as last Southport when I managed to find a really nice gold dress (first thing I've bought for dancing that's not black!) - and at the very least, maybe it's just that people notice you to ask you to dance (versus hiding amongst a see of black). Whereas at my local venue, if I'm dressed up, I get far less people asking me to dance - jeans and top work better to that end.

On the subject of asking guys, I'm probably admitting to being a bit shallow in that those I do ask (besides people I know*) tend to be those who look smart - which for me tends to be the black-trousers-and-black-t-shirt crowd. Doesn't need to be OTT with sparkly shirts etc just nicely turned out but IMO it probably does play part of someone's decision about whether or not to ask a stranger to dance (whereas I doubt most people would avoid someone who they kow to be a good dancer because they are dressed in casual gear!)

:flower:

*oops! not trying to suggest all the leads I know are scruffs! :blush:

Lynn
24th-February-2008, 06:34 PM
Actually trousers are much cooler. A skirt/dress needs Bridget Jones knickers and nylon tights. Oh, could never dance in tights! Agree with them being too hot, but aside from that I also find it totally changes how dance shoes feel on my feet and I really struggle with balance - my feet seem to slide about or something.

I do sometimes wear tights if arriving 'dressed up' - warmer to travel in etc. But one dance and the tights are off!

Astro
24th-February-2008, 06:54 PM
On the subject of asking guys, I'm probably admitting to being a bit shallow in that those I do ask (besides people I know*) tend to be those who look smart - which for me tends to be the black-trousers-and-black-t-shirt crowd.

DJ belongs to a crowd? :na:

Oh, could never dance in tights! Agree with them being too hot, but aside from that I also find it totally changes how dance shoes feel on my feet and I really struggle with balance - my feet seem to slide about or something.

I'm sure I would get blisters in just bare feet and shoes. There's cotton tiny socks that do not show, but I haven't tried them.

I do sometimes wear tights if arriving 'dressed up' - warmer to travel in etc. But one dance and the tights are off!

One dance with whom? :rofl:

Little Monkey
24th-February-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't just dress up for dancing. I dress up for life. Every day I choose my clothes very carefully. Yes this means I compromise on comfort.

Ooooh, we are just a tad different!!

Being a potter (and having a border collie who I walk about 2 hours in a very often muddy park every day), I live in jeans, trekking shoes/hillwalking boots, t-shirts and fleece tops. Believe me baby, this girl is HOT! :rofl:

I can't wear heels because of my back, and wouldn't wear them every day even if I could. Also, I don't have a car, so I walk everywhere, which would be agony in heels (and too bloody slow!) There's comfy shoes that are cool/trendy/cute too. And I don't like being cold, so I will most definitely wear clothes appropriate for the weather.

Also, there's no way I'm going to spend ages every morning putting up make-up and do my hair to go and work by myself in my pottery, where I'm most probably going to get splashed with clay anyway.

I've been on hillwalking trips with girls who nearly start panicing when there's nowhere to plug in their hairdryer, and who apply make-up before climbing a bloody mountain. Hilarious! They normally look ten times worse than us 'natural' girlies by the time we're half-way through our walk, with their make-up running..... :rolleyes:

I do like putting on a bit of make-up when I'm going out, especially if I'm feeling a bit off-colour or my skin isn't really looking it's best. But I'm quite happy to go dancing without any war paint, too! And I feel more confident and dance better if I'm comfortable, so I very rarely wear skirts or dresses.... This might change once I've shed a few pounds (hoping my training regime will start giving results soon!!) and feel better about my body.

Even just in my usual black trousers and sparkly tops I have received some very nice compliments, though. Obviously men don't always need to see lots of skin on display to find women sexy, thank god! :D

Lynn
24th-February-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm sure I would get blisters in just bare feet and shoes. There's cotton tiny socks that do not show, but I haven't tried them.
Compeed anti blister stick prevents that. I'd never dream of putting on a pair of dance shoes and bare feet without applying that first. Always have it in my dance bag. Good also for non dancing summer sandals etc.

One dance with whom? :rofl: :rofl: Maybe I could have phrased that a little better...

David Bailey
25th-February-2008, 09:29 AM
Maybe you are just feeling extra sensitive? :confused:
Maybe I wasn't referring to comments about me. :rolleyes:

Cruella
25th-February-2008, 10:09 AM
Even just in my usual black trousers and sparkly tops I have received some very nice compliments, though. Obviously men don't always need to see lots of skin on display to find women sexy, thank god! :D
I often get compliments when i'm out dancing about my clothes. I never wear skirts above the knee ( I don't want to scare the other dancers) so yes I agree, there is no need to show lots of skin to look good.

Gav
25th-February-2008, 11:13 AM
Clean shirt, new shoes
And I don't know where I am goin to.
Silk suit, black tie,
I don't need a reason why.
They come runnin' just as fast as they can
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

:D

HelenB
25th-February-2008, 11:32 AM

It's hard to judge ability sometimes without actually dancing with someone. And even watching someone dance doesn't necessarily give a good judgement on how it feels to dance with them. The best looking dancers aren't always the best dancers

But the way you dress does have a direct impact on how many people will ask you to dance. Despite dancing for years now, I'm still too shy to ask people to dance 90% of the time. So I do notice the difference on different "dress" nights.

:yeah: I've noticed differences when I wear different outfits. At a new venue, I don't expect to be asked to dance much if I haven't made the effort. Just as much as I am less likely to ask if they haven't made the effort.

When faced with a sea of unknown people, it's a good starting point

As to how different clothes change the way you dance, I have to admit it does for me. The odd occasion when I've braved wearing a dress, I definitely dance differently.

Workshops I see as practice time so am less likely to get out the sparkly tops etc and dress more comfortably. And, afternoon dancing at weekenders will see me in more casual clothes. It's the evenings I make more of an effort for.

ducasi
25th-February-2008, 01:00 PM
So this thread is making me paranoid – I could definitely dress up more. Do those of you who know me think I should make more of an effort? (At class nights? At parties? Generally, and in every way? ;)) (Answers on a postcard, PM, rep, billboard, whatever...)

Ta! :flower:

Twirly
25th-February-2008, 01:13 PM
So this thread is making me paranoid – I could definitely dress up more. Do those of you who know me think I should make more of an effort? (At class nights? At parties? Generally, and in every way? ;)) (Answers on a postcard, PM, rep, billboard, whatever...)

If you're happy with what you're wearing, and you're getting asked to dance sufficiently, why worry?

If you fancy dressing up for a change every now and then, go for it. But don't let what other people think put you off doing what you want to do :nice:

Juju
25th-February-2008, 01:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. You look fine to me. :wink:

I'd dress up a bit more for dancing (not much more) but I find it really hard to find appropriate things to wear. Can't wear tailored stuff, can't wear anything too warm, jeans can be a problem.... You need, as a girl, to wear stuff that you can do dips/drops and whatever in, without exposing bits that shouldn't be exposed, you need something that isn't going to ride up/fall down mid-dance, you need to be comfortable, you need to be able to move freely.... Frankly, it's a pain. On top of which I never wear heels ever and I hate flimsy, floaty stuff. So I usually end up wearing the same few outfits over and over again.

Also, although I can see that in a room full of strangers, the prettiest will probably get asked first... after that first dance, once you know someone and know that you like dancing with them, what they're wearing shouldn't really make a difference, should it?

David Bailey
25th-February-2008, 01:34 PM
If you're happy with what you're wearing, and you're getting asked to dance sufficiently, why worry?
More to the point, why care how many dances you get, surely the important thing is how good the dances are?

I'd rather have one great dance than 10 average ones. The great dances are the ones you remember.

And whilst I've seen some plausible arguments that dressing-up gets you more dances, I've seen nothing to say that dressing-up gets you better dances.

Jhutch
25th-February-2008, 01:35 PM
Generally blue jeans and a t-shirt/polo shirt for me:) (although if i come straight from work then it will usually be black trousers and a badly matching t-shirt). When i was a beginner i once tried the black trousers and black t-shirt combo at an unfamiliar venue - was amazed at how much i got asked - is what you wear really that important to strangers:confused:

Steven666
25th-February-2008, 02:03 PM
is what you wear really that important to strangers:confused:

Hell yes. Unfortunately.

David Bailey
25th-February-2008, 02:12 PM
is what you wear really that important to strangers:confused:
Yes. And that's not unreasonable. If you can't judge someone's ability or attitude (as they're unknown), then what else can you judge on?

But I don't really care that much if strangers ask me to dance or not. If I like the "looks" of a stranger, I'll ask her. If I don't, I won't.

I'm not here to get loads of dances with people, I'm here to get good dances with people.

Steven666
25th-February-2008, 02:14 PM
Yes. And that's not unreasonable. If you can't judge someone's ability or attitude (as they're unknown), then what else can you judge on?

But I don't really care that much if strangers ask me to dance or not. If I like the "looks" of a stranger, I'll ask her. If I don't, I won't.

I'm not here to get loads of dances with people, I'm here to get good dances with people.

So scruffy people ARE rubbish dancers. Or you'll never find out. :whistle:

straycat
25th-February-2008, 02:38 PM
So scruffy people ARE rubbish dancers.

Well - I know a guy... who's dancing looks ten times better when he's wearing his suit. We'd noticed this for quite some time before we found out he'd confided in a friend that the suit didn't quite fit right in certain regions, and it was extremely .... uncomfortable .... for him to dance with his usual exuberant (wild) style while wearing it.

Twirly
25th-February-2008, 02:39 PM

True, but how do you assess someone you've never danced with before, apart from on looks/dress? Certainly you can watch them dance with other people, but that doesn't mean that you're going to get a good dance with them - you might not be compatible. And it's been commented on before that just because someone looks good to dance with won't make them feel good to dance with.

I've tried the "watch people dancing and ask someone you think looks good to dance with" thing. Hardly ever works for me. Almost without fail, they either head off in the opposite direction to where you are at high speed, or someone else grabs them before you get a chance :tears: By the time you realise you've missed your chance, everyone else has paired off and you've missed another dance :tears: :tears:

So I've given up with that method, and if there's no-one I know around to ask, I'll just find the nearest man whose attention seems to be on the dancefloor (he might be watching, or moving to the music) and who looks presentable (i.e. clean and not dripping with sweat). If he's dressed well too, that's a bonus. :nice:

David Bailey
25th-February-2008, 02:47 PM
True, but how do you assess someone you've never danced with before, apart from on looks/dress? Certainly you can watch them dance with other people, but that doesn't mean that you're going to get a good dance with them - you might not be compatible. And it's been commented on before that just because someone looks good to dance with won't make them feel good to dance with.
Sure, but I can tell the ones I won't want to dance with, at least. And, to be honest, I can usually visually pick out a dancer who I'll probably like dancing with. After a while, you get a kind of sense of these things.

With enough experience, you can usually even do this whilst dancing - someone's quality of movement catches your eye and you make a mental note of it - without affecting your current dance.

Obviously it is possible to make some judgements based on sight - otherwise how do competition judges do it? It's not perfect for social dancing, but it's a reasonable start.

And I'd absolutely prefer to dance with a non-dressed-up person who looks like a good / friendly dancer, than with a dressed-up person who doesn't.

Lory
25th-February-2008, 03:06 PM
W he'd confided in a friend that the suit didn't quite fit right in certain regions, and it was extremely .... uncomfortable .... for him to dance with his usual exuberant (wild) style while wearing it.

I had a lovely dance with a guy recently and thought how much his lead had improved, it so was soft and gentle, nothing like the arm mangling, yanking stuff he usually did.. then he explained how he was injured and went on to apologize for not being up to his usual standard! :rolleyes::rofl:

Astro
25th-February-2008, 07:29 PM
I'd dress up a bit more for dancing (not much more) but I find it really hard to find appropriate things to wear. Can't wear tailored stuff, can't wear anything too warm, jeans can be a problem.... You need, as a girl, to wear stuff that you can do dips/drops and whatever in, without exposing bits that shouldn't be exposed, you need something that isn't going to ride up/fall down mid-dance, you need to be comfortable, you need to be able to move freely.... Frankly, it's a pain. On top of which I never wear heels ever and I hate flimsy, floaty stuff. So I usually end up wearing the same few outfits over and over again.

:yeah: Plus......
I sometimes feel I'm off to work in a factory, not to a dance.

Can't wear loads of make up as it runs when you sweat.

Can't wear lots of jewellry or accessories - they catch

Can't have long red talons - ditto

Can't wear stocking and suspenders - obvious reasons

Can't have a decent hairdo - some oaf will soon have it down

Can't wear outfits with lots of dangly bits - get caught up

Can't wear heels - unbalanced

Twirlie Bird
25th-February-2008, 08:23 PM
I've been on hillwalking trips with girls who nearly start panicing when there's nowhere to plug in their hairdryer, and who apply make-up before climbing a bloody mountain. Hilarious! They normally look ten times worse than us 'natural' girlies by the time we're half-way through our walk, with their make-up running..... :rolleyes:

Yep I would be one of those girls who wore make up to walk up a hill. Mind you I don't think you would actually find me walking up any hills. :eek: I stunned a friend once by putting make up on to go to the gym. I view make up as I view my clothes. I want to look the best I can at all times. If this means spending an extra 30 minutes in the morning doing my hair and make up before going to the gym only to sweat, shower and then do it all again then that's what I do.

I NEVER leave the house without make up on. Actually I never go a day without wearing make up.

You should see me camping. :rofl:

That's just me. :flower:

Compeed anti blister stick prevents that. I'd never dream of putting on a pair of dance shoes and bare feet without applying that first. Always have it in my dance bag. Good also for non dancing summer sandals etc.

Vaseline and Lypsyll work wonders too.

is what you wear really that important to strangers

Yes. Oh yes. YES. :D

And I'd absolutely prefer to dance with a non-dressed-up person who looks like a good / friendly dancer, than with a dressed-up person who doesn't.

Does it have to be an either or? :confused:

dep
25th-February-2008, 08:51 PM
Can't have a decent hairdo - some oaf will soon have it downnow I'm an oaf as well!:blush:

David Bailey
25th-February-2008, 08:58 PM
Does it have to be an either or? :confused:
No, but I'm trying to communicate my priorities.

Twirlie Bird
25th-February-2008, 09:04 PM
Thought I would post a picture of what I am wearing today.

I have not been out. I am not going out tonight. I have nobody visiting.

It's just me. :wink:

Every one's different. :flower:

dep
25th-February-2008, 10:17 PM
Thought I would post a picture of..........just me. :wink:
different is hardly the word for it!
Provocative!!
What are you trying to do to us oldies?
There is still some warmth in my blood.

Twirlie Bird
25th-February-2008, 10:23 PM
different is hardly the word for it!
Provocative!!
What are you trying to do to us oldies?
There is still some warmth in my blood.

Soz :wink:

~*~Saligal~*~
25th-February-2008, 11:40 PM
:yeah: Plus......
I sometimes feel I'm off to work in a factory, not to a dance.

StokeBloke
26th-February-2008, 12:20 AM
:yeah:I just love the 'can do' attitude some of you girls have adopted :wink:

Twirlie Bird
26th-February-2008, 01:07 AM
Plus......
I sometimes feel I'm off to work in a factory, not to a dance. NEVER have I thought this. :confused:

Buy more expensive make up and it won't run. Try different types out. Maybe waterproof make up will work for you. :flower: Also take make up powder with you and touch your face up throughout the evening.

True. Bangles and rings and probably necklaces are a no no. However buy jewellery with dancing in mind. There are lots of bling bling type ear rings about that look great on the dance floor and don't catch.

No but you can have short red ones. As long as the finger nails match the toe nails you will look lovely. :wink: The nails don't have to be long.

Yep obvious reasons.:whistle:

:confused: OK really lost on this one. Simple ponytails - high or low look beautiful. Use a nice band to tie it up. Baubles and fancier bands do tend to get knocked out. Also what's wrong with wearing your hair down? It can be curled or styled nicely. Personally I usually have mine up to dance but many people keep theirs down and look gorgeous.

Long and dangly I agree with but if you go for a little shorter then you can get away with dangly bits.

You can't? Is that for medical reasons? :flower:

I think it's all about making the most of what you can safely take to the dance floor.