View Full Version : Leader Tips: MJ ~> AT

CJ
15th-February-2008, 12:08 PM
please.

:blush::flower:

Gav
15th-February-2008, 12:21 PM
Easy.
Forget everything you thought you knew about leading and prepare to start again from the beginning. :na:
Seriously though, the real Tangueros out there may disagree with me, but I don't think that anything I learned in MJ helped me in AT.

Leading is from the body centre, not from the hands, arms or anywhere else.
You must always be aware of which foot your partners weight is on.
Unlike MJ, where hesitation or weak leads are bad but bearable, in AT hesitation and weak leads are disastrous.
There's almost certainly plenty more, but I'm no expert.HTH. :flower:

David Bailey
15th-February-2008, 12:44 PM
Seriously though, the real Tangueros out there may disagree with me, but I don't think that anything I learned in MJ helped me in AT.

Here's a couple of threads that may be of relevance:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/11733-differences-between-mj.html
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/7351-mj-input-into-argentinian-tango.html

I'll re-read what I said in those, see if I still think the same way...

gebandemuishond
15th-February-2008, 01:04 PM
Easy.
Forget everything you thought you knew about leading and prepare to start again from the beginning. :na:
Leading is from the body centre, not from the hands, arms or anywhere else.
You must always be aware of which foot your partners weight is on.
Unlike MJ, where hesitation or weak leads are bad but bearable, in AT hesitation and weak leads are disastrous.
There's almost certainly plenty more, but I'm no expert.HTH. :flower:

I agree with the tips, although I think dancing MJ has helped my AT leading. I took a couple of workshops with a tango friend last year, before I started MJ, and for the past year havn't danced tango at all. The other day I had a dance about in my room with her and she said that I had really come on, despite not having any AT lessons in between. Although that might be more due to increased confidence than leading skills learned from MJ.

Dan

Lory
15th-February-2008, 03:00 PM
I Although that might be more due to increased confidence than leading skills learned from MJ.

I think confidence is one of the biggest issues in Tango.. its a bit like the chicken and the egg scenario though... how can you have confidence about something you've never done :confused:

But from my (limited) experience, the worst thing for a follower, is if the lead is too tentative or wishy washy.:sick:

You have to make positive strides! Which in 'Tango speak'.. is, Leading with intention! :cool:

Basically, you have to bite the bullet and go for it! :D

Lory
15th-February-2008, 03:06 PM
One more small one.. a simple way to find out if the follow is balanced - when the lead is 'waiting' on one foot, try swiveling her gently back and forth, if she's centered, she wont wobble or fall over :)

Mr Cool
15th-February-2008, 05:08 PM
I think as a leader you have to make yourself get up and dance AT when ever you can with as many partners as possible.
Leading the walk is key to me I wouldnt worry about learning many decorations untill you feel you can lead a lady in any direction Balance and centre are so important in this dance.
I find it great fun leading ladies who have never had a lesson into Tango wonderful.:flower:
I think Milonga the fast stepping on each beat dance is a great way of learning how to lead tango it is such a wonderful dance on its own.:wink:
you can dance it to such a wide range of music including some of the fastest with practice,:whistle: and what is also wonderful it makes some of the bang bang bang music worth dancing to.:clap:

:waycool:

Zuhal
15th-February-2008, 06:58 PM
Take a few moments before you start

Take it slow. Slow

You don't have to be doing something to every beat or bar.

Sometimes taking a breath and being 1"taller is all you need as a lead.

Zuhal

Astro
16th-February-2008, 04:31 PM
please.

:blush::flower:

Ha ha! I know what you're up. :whistle: