PDA

View Full Version : Tango Boot Camp 26th & 27th April 2008

Andy McGregor
7th-February-2008, 10:30 AM
Argentine Tango is coming to Brighton. Warren, a well known S.E. dancer is organising a weekend of Argentine Tango. He's organised Stefano Fava and Alexandra Wood to come to Brighton for the weekend to take the workshops.

It sounds great and I'm thinking of doing it. I think it's designed to take us "beginners" through the painful learning curve at the start of the dance - over the years I've done the odd workshop at a weekender but never really had anywhere to learn locally or to practice the dance. I think it would be a great idea to cram all my pain into a weekend in Brighton.

The, slightly funny, advert for it is on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-XWnQWBu8) and the website is here (www.tangobootcamp.co.uk).

Caro
7th-February-2008, 10:33 AM
Stefano Fava and Alexandra Wood

FWIW I rate their teaching very highly, and they have experience of teaching tango to jivers (Franck had them up for the beach ballroom once or twice).

Sounds like an opportunity not to miss if you're around :clap:

David Bailey
7th-February-2008, 11:04 AM
FWIW I rate their teaching very highly,
Me too - I did a class with them a couple of weeks ago at Negracha - my review is here (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/7420-learning-tango-68.html#post447228) - they're superb teachers.

Andy, if you start Tango, you realise you'll be expected to start doing a lot of angst-ridden "Oh My God, I can't get it" posts from now on? :grin:

JonD
7th-February-2008, 11:37 AM
Nice dancers! I'd guess it'll be a good course - go for it.

I think it would be a great idea to cram all my pain into a weekend in Brighton.
Well, at least it means you'll get some of the initial agony out of the way quickly!

Mary
7th-February-2008, 01:23 PM
Sounds good. If I have the dosh and availability I'd like to do it.

M

David Bailey
7th-February-2008, 01:27 PM
The, slightly funny, advert for it is on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY-XWnQWBu8)
Just watched this, it's great. Nice dress :drool:

Am I sad, to admit that when I saw them get into the embrace, my first thought was "Huh, that's a weird hold..."?

Tiggerbabe
7th-February-2008, 01:28 PM
Stefano Fava and Alexandra Wood
Gets my vote too, Andy, they are both superb teachers, as well as lovely people and amazing dancers. I'm hoping they'll be back in Scotland soon :clap:

Oh, and by the way, Alexandra's usual shoes :drool: :drool: :drool:

Cruella
7th-February-2008, 01:45 PM
Is it aimed at complete beginners or those that have tried Tango before?
I've been intending to try and get my hubby to start up Ballroom and Tango with me. He's a complete beginner in dance though, (as I am to Tango) so I don't want to push him in at the deep end (or myself).

David Bailey
7th-February-2008, 03:11 PM
From the site FAQ:

Who is TangoBootCamp aimed at?
TangoBootCamp is aimed at anyone who has ever harboured a burning desire to dance Argentine Tango AND is willing to put in the effort required to make that desire a reality.

We have highlighted 2 groups of people for whom it may be especially appropriate.
1. Dancers of other dance styles who might already have had a brief taste of Argentine Tango or who simply want to take on an additional challenge.
2. People who have tried to learn Argentine Tango previously but gave up because it was too difficult or unrewarding.
So:

I've been intending to try and get my hubby to start up Ballroom and Tango with me. He's a complete beginner in dance though, (as I am to Tango) so I don't want to push him in at the deep end (or myself).
Mmm. I think this'd definitely class as pretty deep-end-y. For that matter, learning Tango from nothing is pretty much in the deep end anyway. I've heard there's this cool dance called Modern Jive, maybe try him on that? :devil:

If you insist on starting the poor guy on AT, then I reckon something like Amir's workshop (http://www.jango.co.uk/news.html) might be a better start.

But even that might be quite daunting.

I reckon you'd have to be extremely determined to learn AT as your first-ever partner dance experience, especially as a leader. On the other hand, it's probably the "best" way to learn partner dancing, because every other dance will seem simple after that. :grin:

JonD
7th-February-2008, 04:48 PM
He's a complete beginner in dance though, (as I am to Tango) so I don't want to push him in at the deep end (or myself).
I fear that I'd have run a mile if I'd attempted AT as my first dance. There were times in the first couple of years when it was only the confidence I'd gained dancing MJ that got me through periods of frustration and feeling totally inadequate.

Mind you, if he's an obsessive sort of personality who relishes a challenge he'll be fine! It's probably worth trying the course - it's only a couple of days after all. Even if he hates it then he'll still probably still try ballroom or MJ with you and, as DJ says, finding those more accessible than AT might work out really well.

I do like the way Stefano and Alexandra dance - I must try and get to some of their classes.

Sugarfoot
7th-February-2008, 05:59 PM
It seems like the mystery of learning Tango is often blown out of all proportion. If you say it is hard/difficult etc it will be because you said so. The only challenge over other dances is that you are made more aware of your body/balance etc and get direct feedback from your partner in a far more subtle way. I guess the feeling of difficulty is directly proportional to how we react to our own self awareness and direct feedback from out partner.

I took up salsa, jive and AT more or less at the same time. I found Tango easier because it allowed me to dance ay my own pace. The standard of teaching at AT probably had a lot to do with it as well. I guess we are all different and respond based on those differences. A sensitive kinaesthetic person will respond better to Tango than salsa.

Caro
7th-February-2008, 06:09 PM
It seems like the mystery of learning Tango is often blown out of all proportion.

tsss... Don't you deprive DJ of his uniqueness & elistist feeling ;)

Cruella
7th-February-2008, 06:09 PM
A sensitive kinaesthetic person will respond better to Tango than salsa.

That describes me to a tee. I never read these dancing threads, cos they make no sense to me whatsoever. I learn by feeling and doing. You've met my hubby, Ian. Do you think it'd be too much for him?

Mind you, if he's an obsessive sort of personality who relishes a challenge he'll be fine! Well I guess he could be described as the adventurous type. Last year he rode a bicycle to Paris from London. The year before he went to the Arctic to walk to the North Pole. I guess that means Tango will be a cinch! :wink:

Sugarfoot
7th-February-2008, 06:33 PM
You've met my hubby, Ian. Do you think it'd be too much for him? :wink:

I think it will be a great leveler for you to start together. After all this time you can be together in the dance world. I think he will do just fine. :grin:

HelenB
7th-February-2008, 06:35 PM
:tears: :tears: :tears:

It's on the same weekend as the Northampton WCS Jordan/Tatiana workshops that I've already booked

I hope it goes well and Warren runs it again

David Bailey
7th-February-2008, 08:45 PM
It seems like the mystery of learning Tango is often blown out of all proportion.
Well, yeah - we like to whinge about how tough it all is, and sometimes it's overblown.

If you say it is hard/difficult etc it will be because you said so. The only challenge over other dances is that you are made more aware of your body/balance etc and get direct feedback from your partner in a far more subtle way. I guess the feeling of difficulty is directly proportional to how we react to our own self awareness and direct feedback from out partner.
Mmmm. Dunno about that. All said and done, it's still quite difficult to do, you know. The control, precision and sublety of communication aren't exaclty a doddle.

On the other hand, it doesn't require pattern memorisation, vigorous movement, or (much of) a sense of rhythm.

I took up salsa, jive and AT more or less at the same time. I found Tango easier because it allowed me to dance ay my own pace.
I started Jive many years ago, then salsa about 12 years ago, then AT a couple of years ago.

Hmmm... difficult to compare. I feel that Tango is more difficult, but that could be just my memory, or it could be just me getting older and feebler.

eeyore
7th-February-2008, 11:03 PM
Oh, and by the way, Alexandra's usual shoes :drool: :drool: :drool:

Oh wow yes, those shoes :drool: ... And yes, they're excellent teachers :respect:.

I'm sure Angelique will correct me if I'm wrong, but I first met her & her husband at Barry's tango classes, & I got the impression it was his first taste of dancing - & it didn't put him off cos he's done jive since.

Great video Warren :D!!

David Bailey
26th-February-2008, 10:05 AM

I just got an email through, promoting a "Intro to Tango / Intro to Salsa" weekend:
Dance Matrix UK - Ballroom, Wedding Dance, First Dance Lessons and Dance Gift Experiences (http://www.dancematrix.com/danceholidaysuk2.htm) (about 1/3 of the way down the page)

This sort of thing might be useful for you?

jemessex
26th-February-2008, 11:09 PM
Myself and Lucille have booked onto the 'bootcamp' in Hove. Loomking forward to it and hopefully gain enough confidence to dance it freestyle

Hevmate
27th-February-2008, 12:37 AM
Ooh I fancy this, but would rather do it with someone. Anyone seeking a girl partner to try this out - (this is aimed at guys, just in case !)

Yliander
27th-February-2008, 09:33 AM
liking the look of this - really hoping to that I will be able to fit into my budget and schedule!

jemessex
27th-February-2008, 02:43 PM
would be great if a few forumites were there.
After speaking with 'bootcamp' enrolement officer, I was informed that there are just a few places left.....so you had better be quick.
Hope to see some of you ... :nice:

Yliander
29th-February-2008, 10:37 AM
would be great if a few forumites were there.
After speaking with 'bootcamp' enrolement officer, I was informed that there are just a few places left.....so you had better be quick.
Hope to see some of you ... :nice:
:eek: decision decisions!

Brighton Belle
13th-April-2008, 05:52 PM
I know its been a while since anyone put anything on this thread but is anyone going to this Tango weekend camp?

I've seen the teachers and they look fabulous! I can't imagine any of us are going to look anywhere close to this by the end of one weekend (in fact I know we're not!) but doing the intensive workshops should make for a good grounding. I know other people who've tried to learn this dance piece-meal have told me this logical approach is the best way to do it.

I'm signed up but I don't know anyone else who's going. Anyone out there? I think they've got a couple of places left although I understand its pretty full.

JonD
29th-April-2008, 12:23 PM
So, how was it? I'm curious!

I ended up doing the Tango Tangk last weekend - I'd planned on just going to the milongas but, as I was staying in a B&B locally, got a call on Saturday morning asking me to step in for a poor guy who'd had to rush off to be with his sick father. It was great fun and I learnt a lot; Jenny & Ricardo really are very good teachers.

Brighton Belle
29th-April-2008, 09:25 PM
So, how was it? I'm curious!

It was fantastic! Stefano and Alexandra are excellent dancers and very good teachers. They both have very strong firey temperaments (well with an Italian and a red head you couldn't expect much else!) and they both spark off each other to great effect. Very entertaining at times.

They usually charge £30 for a 2 hr workshop so if you consider that for £119 we got 14 hrs of tuition over 2 days, 2 evening dances, lunches, dinner with wine, tea/coffee/snacks/drinks all day, a t-shirt and a DVD it was fantastic value. Warren had everything very well organised - it all ran very smoothly with no hiccups at all and no waiting around for anything. There were only 40 people in total and it was well gender balanced so everyone was dancing almost all the time. Everyone was very friendly and all got on really well.:grin:

Really the only slight fly in the ointment (and I don't really know what you'd do about this) was that there were several people who had no dance experience at all in any dance form and they were really struggling. By the end of the first day, they'd reached saturation point which wasn't so bad for the followers but for the leaders, the 2nd day was really too much. This meant that half of the Sunday, everytime I got to dance with one of them, I couldn't practice any of the steps we'd just been shown because they couldn't remember them in order to lead them! So we'd end doing a sort of shuffle round in more or less the right direction like the slow dance you do at the end of a disco!:what:

That aside though, (a minor point) it was a very enjoyable weekend and we all really felt like we'd learnt something worthwhile. I think I could probably follow most basic moves now - not with much finesse I grant you but at least I can get round the floor without making a complete idiot of myself which is really what I was aiming for.

Thanks very much to Warren and Ruth for all their hard work putting it all together - looking forward to the follow up one in a few weeks!:wink:

Brighton Belle
16th-October-2008, 02:50 PM
And a few months later, here we are again! The follow up workshop took place last weekend (a bit later than planned I guess), and again Alex and Stefan were brilliant :respect:.

I learnt a huge amount in just few hours. At one stage I took a turn round the floor with Alex. She may look stunning and slim and gorgeous but she's also an amazingly strong lead! I learnt a major point that leading has got absolutely nothing to do with strength and everything to do with body posture, frame and I suppose what you'd call 'core strength'. Fantastic.

Is anyone going to the Milonga at the Brunswick pub in Brighton next Sunday (26th Oct?) The 2nd weekend boot camp is on the Sat and Sun then they have a gradution milonga on the Sunday night with a number of local dancers coming along as well. Last time there was an international circus pitched across the road by the beach and a few of the performers came over and joined in! They were really good dancers as well. :grin: