PDA

View Full Version : school shows

Forte
7th-October-2003, 03:13 PM
So since I am choreographing the school show (Joseph and his technicoloured whatsit...) June 2004 ...get your ticket booked now! I was wondering which of us forum-ites appeared in a school show way back when...!
I was in "My fair lady" (as a street urchin/dancer...ah cannae sing tae save masel!) Anyone else? Franck, you MUST have been in a school show! I know Steve was in Joseph as the Elvis singing Pharoaoh...oh to have been there!:waycool:

Pammy
7th-October-2003, 03:39 PM
Huh, I actually have proof, see photo below (me in rainbow skirt) which is actually on the wall at work along with some other equally embarassing shots.

At least it would seem the rest of you got a decent part, where as I was on some sort of instrument with my friend Madeleine as just a "Brighton Rock":blush: ; whatever that was. All I remember was shortly after the photo was taken, we got into a fight about who was hitting who's notes and all hell broke loose:innocent: .

Not only that, but look at the fringe on me:what: :really: :blush: ; I mean, what sort of parent would send their kids out with waist length hair and a fringe that starts from the top of their head:tears: :tears: ? This comes back to Boomers take on parents inflicting some horrible things on us as children!

Px

Boomer
7th-October-2003, 03:47 PM
Awwwww Pammywammy!!!!!:rofl: :nice: You even had that evil glint in your eyes then I see:D

Was once meant to be in the school play...but bottled it and went home. It was a good thing I did, apparently the cast forgot their lines and the lead thunderously cut-the-chess in the middle of one of his scenes:rofl:

Discretion is ,someyimes, the better part of valour.:nice:

Pammy
7th-October-2003, 03:51 PM
Now do you believe that I was shy and picked on as a child? Looking at it, I get the distinct feeling my mum may have cut it herself with the kitchen scissors; it isn't exactly stream-lined over the ears is it!?

With a haircut like that, who wouldn't be!?! :tears: :sorry

Franck
7th-October-2003, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Anyone else? Franck, you MUST have been in a school show!:D
I reckon I did dozens of school plays, though very few stick in my mind, and because it was in France, they won't be familiar to any of you... :nice:
Surprisingly, maybe, I was a shy little boy :sorry , and only started enjoying performing in late teenage years, though after that, there was no stopping me, with bands, theatre, musicals, etc...
No embarrassing photos though... :D

Franck.

Pammy
7th-October-2003, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Franck
Surprisingly, maybe, I was a shy little boy :sorry Surprisingly or unbelieveably!?! :wink:
No embarrassing photos though... :DOr rather, none you'd want to share :wink:

Px

Franck
7th-October-2003, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Or rather, none you'd want to share :wink: I'm saying nothing, though thinking back, any photo of me as a child (and to date) is embarrassing :D

Franck.

TheTramp
7th-October-2003, 04:39 PM
I know Steve was in Joseph as the Elvis singing Pharoaoh...oh to have been there!:waycool: Ummm. I'm not sure that you'd really have wanted to be there. And it wasn't a school production either. I didn't really do much in the way of performing at school - since there wasn't any option to do it at the school I went to. I did sing in the choir, but that was about it.

Since (or outside) school, I've done a lot more though. Played in a few bands in Cardiff, been on tour with the Welsh National Opera, sung in a few operatic societies around Cardiff - played Pharaoh as you said, also played the part of King Herod in Jesus Christ Superstar, and a few other parts.

But probably my most noteable achievement was singing the bass solo in Schubert's Mass in E-flat at the University Christmas concert. 200 in the choir, 100 in the orchestra, 1000 people watching, and me (and 4 others) singing solo's. Very scary!

Steve

bigdjiver
7th-October-2003, 05:23 PM
So since I am choreographing the school show (Joseph and his technicoloured whatsit...) June 2004 ...

Brought to my mind Sand dance

For the youngsters a sand dance is it is a shuffling psuedo Egyptian dance done on a board dusted with sand. It was epitomised by the Wilson, Keppel and Betty.

"Footage of their act is the single most requested film from the National Film and Television Archive,"

It is not modern Jive, or in Joseph, but it makes a superb fun, showcase number. A video exists:

http://www.thestage.co.uk/www8-144/cgi-bin/stagetalk/cview.pl?s=4&t=190

If anyone knows of video clips on the web I would like to know.

Thanks to the power of search engines I also turned up these dance, and dance related, workshops in London:

http://www.workshopfestival.co.uk/programme.php?start=27

Pammy
8th-October-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by bigdjiver
Thanks to the power of search engines I also turned up these dance, and dance related, workshops in London:

http://www.workshopfestival.co.uk/programme.php?start=27

Bugger, too late. Everything seems booked. Apparently Graham and Trampy took the two last places :really: :what: :really: :really:

Bill
8th-October-2003, 10:25 AM
Never performed at school but joined a drama group in my last year and then performed in Half a Sixpence, Diary of Anne Frank, Billy Liar ( which we performed at the Edinburgh Festival - and I was so bad I didn't even get a mention !!) and then had the lead in Fiddler on the Roof.

Got to the stage where a few folk asked if I really was Jewish ( was something to do with the dark hair and the nose !) Was terrified doing Fiddler as I can't sing ( honest !) so managed to get through with a kind of Richard Harris half sing/half talk style :rolleyes: I still have a copy of the audio tape someone made and with the chorus and the band playing I almost sound reasonable.

Now if I knew how to get photos on here I could send a couple... then again maybe not :na: :sick:

Pammy
8th-October-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Bill
Now if I knew how to get photos on here I could send a couple... then again maybe not :na: :sick:

Come on, get those photos up, we want to see them.

If you're really unsure how to upload a photo, I'll PM you how Graham explained it to me!!

Px

Emma
8th-October-2003, 02:28 PM
Never performed at school but joined a drama group in my last year and then performed in Half a Sixpence, Diary of Anne Frank, Billy Liar Hee hee..I have done Billy Liar - what part did you play?

I confess I come from a long line of dramatic show-offs..I did a few things at school - Beggar's Opera, The Crucible....and while I was at school I also did Cabaret and Oklahoma..after school I went through another thespy stage and did Billy Liar, Daisy Pulls it Off, The Deep Blue Sea, The Nativity and Godspell...

I was also in a couple of *extra-ordinarily bad* bands :)

Claire and I also used to write and direct school shows when we were teaching together. You know the sort of thing - cast of thousands... everyone has to have at *least* one line or there will be letters to the headteacher...parents fighting over the best spot for the video...oh happy days :grin: Actually it was probably one of my favourite parts of the year.

Dreadful Scathe
8th-October-2003, 03:31 PM
so managed to get through with a kind of Richard Harris half sing/half talk style :rolleyes:

more of a Richard Beckinsale style - i remember that TV program you used to be in :D

xSalsa_Angelx
8th-October-2003, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Bugger, too late. Everything seems booked. Apparently Graham and Trampy took the two last places :really: :what: :really: :really:

You naughty boys .... you know i wanted to go on that :rofl:

I need it after the bumps and bruises ave had, hanging upside down like a monkey...!! :D

Bill
8th-October-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
more of a Richard Beckinsale style - i remember that TV program you used to be in :D Yeh.....................me sharing with two women................. :yum: I used to have as much hair as him as well.

In Billy Liar I was the father ( very convincing - a 20 year old with a ridiculous accent ). Just like dancing comps I used to spend a lot of time in the toilets before going on :sick: :sorry

Dance Demon
8th-October-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
more of a Richard Beckinsale style - i remember that TV program you used to be in :D

I think you'll find yhat it was Richard O'sullivan...that shared the house with the two girls, Paula Wilcox and Sally Thomset....
Richard Beckinsale was in Porridge with Ronnie Barker, and played Lenny Godber......(must get out more...becoming an anorak,,,,:sick: )..........:D

Dreadful Scathe
9th-October-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I think you'll find yhat it was Richard O'sullivan...that shared the house with the two girls, Paula Wilcox and Sally Thomset....

Im talking about the sitcom 'Rising Damp' dunno what you mean - just thought Bill looked like exactly like him :)

Sheepman
9th-October-2003, 05:02 PM
Never did a school play, (I'm not the performer in our family, that's down to Opera/choral singer sis, and actor bruv.) But singing, I did plenty of performances for little old ladies, plus the occasional solos in Brighton Pavilion. I'm sure it was dead scary at the time, but it didn't completely kill of the latent desire to show off, nowadays I just don't care what people think. Especially if they can have a laugh!

Greg

DavidY
9th-October-2003, 11:01 PM
*Checks first to see if Pammy's around*

We did the Wizard of Oz in Junior school. Was hoping for starring role but instead I got to play Toto...

Pammy
10th-October-2003, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by DavidY
*Checks first to see if Pammy's around*

We did the Wizard of Oz in Junior school. Was hoping for starring role but instead I got to play Toto...

If PaulF discovers you've been playing with his Toto, all hell will break loose! :wink:

Still, even Toto is more prestigious than Brighton Rock! :sorry