PDA

View Full Version : What's on

Lounge Lizard
7th-October-2003, 12:57 PM
I want to see Michael Bublé at café de Paris last night.
Fantastic, full house with 20+ dancers there courtesy of Simon White (Jive Bug, Fleet), no dancing just great live music. If anyone knows of good concerts gig's etc. that we would like, perhaps they could post their recommendations (especially smaller venues not big concerts).

DJ's - Michael's album is a must for your collection - I imported it earlier this year and it has easily been my most popular new artist of 2003, it is now on general release, Moondance is the best track IMHO.

I read about an event in the midlands last Saturday, sounded great, if it is ok with Franck could there be a regular posting (perhaps on this thread) of 'regular/special' dances/events throughout the country with recommendations and feedback. I am aware of Lynda's list + the other listings but thought the forum could include personal recommendations.

Perhaps identifying if it is smoking/non smoking to follow Andy's thread.

If this works as a gig guide PLEASE don't hijack it with obscure off thread topics :angry: this does seem to happen a lot.
I dont know if this thread has been done before or if there is an existing thread, sorry if there is.
Peter:grin:

Dance Demon
7th-October-2003, 03:14 PM
Saw him on Parkinson's show at the weekend, he sang a couple of numbers...Moondance, and I think the other one was fly me to the moon....superb voice...uncannily like Bobby Darin..Sounds like a good buy Peter:waycool:

Dan Hudson
7th-October-2003, 03:30 PM
DD Snap.. I too saw him on Parky, thought he was fab! :yum:
Went to go on Amazon and forgot his name!! :eek:

Thanks LL for the reminder! :cheers:

Have ordered my copy....

Boomer
7th-October-2003, 05:24 PM
More for the music than dancing (a shame the bar is ssso small) there's a very good blues bar ( Aint nothin but... (http://www.aintnothinbut.co.uk/) ) on Kingly St, behind Hamleys. Mondays are not so good due to it being an 'open-mic' night, but the rest of the nights are fun. Keep an eye out for 'The Fatnin' Frogs' and 'The Marques Brothers', two very good blues bands.

Shaz
7th-October-2003, 07:46 PM
I wanted to add this to the Britroc thread - but can't find it _ sorry virgin user !

Who are the DJs at this event ????

Lounge Lizard
8th-October-2003, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Shaz
I wanted to add this to the Britroc thread - but can't find it _ sorry virgin user !

Who are the DJs at this event ????
Hi I got an Email from Sarah (co-organiser) on this yesterday.
DJ's are Roger Chin - Hipsters (Wednesdays)
Graham LeClerc - Brighton Leroc and event organiser

Where are the London dancers going this weekend, Hammersmith looks good:cheers: peter

Boomer
8th-October-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Where are the London dancers going this weekend, Hammersmith looks good:cheers: peter

Working :angry::tears: But I expect a full expose on who really bloody amazing it was. Have a good Hammy all.:cheers:

Pammy
8th-October-2003, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
there's a very good blues bar

Blues???? So you have been doing blues eh on the sly?

You two-timing cheater! :wink:

Boomer
8th-October-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
Blues???? So you have been doing blues eh on the sly?

You two-timing cheater! :wink:

Never, unfortunately it really is a small bar (couldn't swing a cat by its tail, not that I'd try of course... :devil: ) with a big atmosphere - I can't recommend it enough. Therie 10th versery is comming up this month, no room to dance but the place should be bouncing...mind you, I have been wrong before.

About events, I might be in the Bristol area this month, the tail end if it I think, but not sure, anything going on there?

P.S. LL, good luck trying to keep anything on topic:rofl: I will try though, just for you...because you have the courage to play 'Smoke on the Wataarrgghhhh bloody riff':grin: Any chance of 'Sweet child in Time'? Its only 11 mins long.

P.P.S. Back on topic - Bristol?

Pammy
8th-October-2003, 01:12 PM
Never, unfortunately

hmmmm, the comma following the unfortunately and not before it, donns miss marple hat no doubt making it a double negative in russian eh?

innocent, corruptable pamster sees through the smoke on the water that translates to something along the lines of fortunately it didn't happen? right ds? :wink:

oh and sweet child of mine was one of my fave's as a teenager! doubt my parents shared that view though...:grin:

Graham
8th-October-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Pammy
oh and sweet child of mine was one of my fave's as a teenager! doubt my parents shared that view though...:grin: I suspect ape-features was referring to the Deep Purple track Child in Time rather than your Guns 'n' Roses standard.
I think both are too slow for modern jive, but any DJs care to pass judgement?

Boomer
8th-October-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I suspect ape-features was referring to the Deep Purple track Child in Time rather than your Guns 'n' Roses standard.
I think both are too slow for modern jive, but any DJs care to pass judgement?

Cheers Pinky:nice: Umm, just to clear up...I'm new I know, but not even I would ask for an 11 min 60's (?) monster to be played on the dancefloor.:D

Graham
8th-October-2003, 01:47 PM
Cheers Pinky:nice: Umm, just to clear up...I'm new I know, but not even I would ask for an 11 min 60's (?) monster to be played on the dancefloor.:D And I'm sure no sane DJ would oblige you! But there's a shorter edit available. :grin:

Lounge Lizard
8th-October-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Graham
I suspect ape-features was referring to the Deep Purple track Child in Time rather than your Guns 'n' Roses standard.
I think both are too slow for modern jive, but any DJs care to pass judgement? no would not play either, the smoke on the water track is a dance mix of deep purple that works
Saw a DJ clear the floor at Camber with a stones track.

Shaz
8th-October-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Hi I got an Email from Sarah (co-organiser) on this yesterday.
DJ's are Roger Chin - Hipsters (Wednesdays)
Graham LeClerc - Brighton Leroc and event organiser

I got a THREE emails that have been forwarded (+ re-forwarded by someone else) to me - are they desparate or WHAT ! The emaisl said TOP UK DJs :rofl: :rofl:

Roger Chin is OK, plays a bit too much latin for my liking though, but what is Graham LeClerc's music like ? I certainly haven't heard any good reports about him, wasn't too impressed when he was playing at Camber

Also, I am a bit concerned about dancing on the Sunday (comp day) - the email said - "Compete or Just Watch" it didn't say anything about freestyle !

I am very concerned, I want to come to Brighton, but is it worth it ?? Please help fellow 'forum' friends :hug:

frodo
9th-October-2003, 12:25 AM
About events, I might be in the Bristol area this month, the tail end if it I think, but not sure, anything going on there?

In case you haven't seen it http://www.leroc-in-bristol.co.uk has a pretty good events calendar (http://www.leroc.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Events_Calendar.htm).

Minnie M
9th-October-2003, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Shaz
I got a THREE emails that have been forwarded (+ re-forwarded by someone else) to me - are they desparate or WHAT ! The emaisl said TOP UK DJs :rofl: :rofl:

Hi Shaz
I think you are getting the emails mixed with the flyer/web page - the last email I got from them mentioned freestyle but the former does NOT

It is a long way for you to come and it finishes late of Sunday. You would be better off going to Hammersmith, that WILL be a great night - unless you fancy competing that is

Minnie M
9th-October-2003, 11:45 AM
NOT SURE WHICH THREAD TO PUT THIS ON :confused:

Just received this email from Nigel:

This Saturday between 12 noon and 3pm we will be busking in the Broadway Shopping Centre, just off Ealing Broadway

If you fancy joining us for an afternoon of fun, with the normal Hipsters gang, then meet us outside Safeways at noon.

Everybody taking part will get an exclusive Hipsters T-shirt and apparently

Franco's buying lunch .... yippee!:cheers: ( this is the bit I like ! :wink: )
See you soon,
Nigel

If you are in Brighton the weekend, I believe there is some busking going on there too for the new Ceroc venue - ice creams on Gordon !

Sheepman
9th-October-2003, 05:43 PM
very good blues bar ( Aint nothin but... (http://www.aintnothinbut.co.uk/) ) on Kingly St, behind Hamleys.
How smoky is it? (Silly question for a blues bar??)
I thought Breakout Blues were regulars there, but they are not on the current gig guide, their CD is fab, but never seen them live. breakout blues (http://www.breakoutblues.com/index.html)

Greg

Boomer
10th-October-2003, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by Sheepman
How smoky is it? (Silly question for a blues bar??)
I thought Breakout Blues were regulars there, but they are not on the current gig guide, their CD is fab, but never seen them live. breakout blues (http://www.breakoutblues.com/index.html)

Greg

Silly question as in 'yes it has a smoking policy' but, and its a big but, but they do have a very good aircon system in there. My flatmate is a reformed smoker (he quit), and we all know that with the excption of the McGregster, the worst non-smoker is a quiter ( I mean both in a good sense by the way, so don't bother picking on me:yum: ). Anyway, said flatmate has had no probs with smoking in there.

Pammy
10th-October-2003, 09:56 AM
My flatmate is a reformed smoker (he quit), and we all know that with the excption of the McGregster, the worst non-smoker is a quiter.

Anyway, said flatmate has had no probs with smoking in there.

Blimey, must be bad if he's started smoking again after going in there; perhaps if we took McGreg's in there he'd have his first? :really: :what: :wink:

Maybe not! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Minnie M
10th-October-2003, 12:16 PM
What is going on with these threads - isn't this WHAT'S ON thread :confused:

If you are 'down south' and talking Modern Jive/Ceroc,

TONIGHT
Colin Shaul (LeRoc JiveIn) has a dance at Friends Providence - I shall be going to that - or the Casbah

TOMORROW
It has to be Ceroc at Hammersmith

SUNDAY
Washing and housework - it's got to be done sometime !

TheTramp
10th-October-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Minnie M
What is going on with these threads - isn't this WHAT'S ON thread :confused: What?? Someone who actually looks at what the name of the thread is when posting in it???

I bet that you colour co-ordinate your pegs too!!

Steve

Minnie M
10th-October-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by TheTramp
What?? Someone who actually looks at what the name of the thread is when posting in it???

I bet that you colour co-ordinate your pegs too!!

Steve

You are joking of course, I would dirty my white gloves ! MM

PS: I do wear a spotted bow in my hair, to go with my spotted dress tho.

Oh no - I have gone off the thread :blush: sorry !