PDA

View Full Version : Difference between ECS and WCS?

Lee Bartholomew
28th-January-2008, 12:42 PM
There is a East Coast Swing class run at the bottom of my road and im thinking about going after doing a taster Lindy Hop lesson at weekend (with Gypsy John).

The format of the class is beginners learn ECS and then the intermediate lesson is Lindy.

Anyone know what the differences between ECS and WCS are? is the footwork patteren the same etc?

ducasi
28th-January-2008, 01:23 PM
From what I understand ECS is quite different from WCS, and can be best summarised as "Lindy Hop made easy."

robd
28th-January-2008, 01:43 PM
From what I understand ECS is quite different from WCS, and can be best summarised as "Lindy Hop made easy."

As we await the obvious follow up that WCS also 'can be best summarised as "Lindy Hop made easy."' :rolleyes: I always thought that ECS had a bit of a ballroom jive flavour to it but I really don't know enough about it to state so definitively.

Little Miss
28th-January-2008, 01:53 PM
Look on You Tube and you will get an idea of the difference, it has quite a different feel and look to WCS. Don't see why it shouldn't be as much fun though and if it is at the bottom of your road then why not try it.

Lee Bartholomew
28th-January-2008, 01:57 PM
Found a few ECS vids on youtube

YouTube - East Coast Swing @ UWO (http://youtube.com/watch?v=uL3u-d8STmA)

YouTube - Anyone Can Dance East Coast Swing (http://youtube.com/watch?v=lExjEOlKJRk)

YouTube - East Coast Swing Performance - Stand View (http://youtube.com/watch?v=G7QF2YQ6emQ)

YouTube - Robbie Magnolia and Maureen Mullen - East Coast Swing (http://youtube.com/watch?v=9o6GW4gBu_E)

4 different vids and it looks like 4 different dances. Rock Step, Tripple Step, Tripple step seems a common pattern though.

ducasi
28th-January-2008, 02:09 PM
As we await the obvious follow up that WCS also 'can be best summarised as "Lindy Hop made easy."' :rolleyes: I always thought that ECS had a bit of a ballroom jive flavour to it but I really don't know enough about it to state so definitively.
I can just hear the swing collective reel in horror at you linking "jive" with "swing". :what: :really:

robd
28th-January-2008, 02:14 PM
I can just hear the swing collective reel in horror at you linking "jive" with "swing". :what: :really:

Aren't you more likely to 'see' than 'hear' someone reeling in horror?

Back to the thread, one of the YouTube clips seems to back up my thought that there's a similarity with Ballroom Jive but the pattern in ECS seems to be triple - triple - rock rather than the rock - triple - triple that I associate with BJ (cheap cracks welcome :grin:)

ducasi
28th-January-2008, 02:47 PM
Aren't you more likely to 'see' than 'hear' someone reeling in horror?
I'm hardly likely to see them in my office. However, I can hear them reeling all over the country, so strong is their horror.

straycat
28th-January-2008, 03:30 PM
As we await the obvious follow up that WCS also 'can be best summarised as "Lindy Hop made easy."'
Why 'obvious'? To me, modern WCS seems like a completely different dance from Lindy, for all their shared heritage. ECS on the other hand (purely judging from these clips, as I know nothing else about it) looks to me like MJ with a 6-count structure and triple steps. No more like Lindy than WCS is.

straycat
28th-January-2008, 03:31 PM

Yeah - especially Joseph and Tricia at JiveSwing.com. They'd be in a state of shock :whistle:

cms
28th-January-2008, 06:12 PM
as you know i love lindy but dont mind saying its where jive had its root! i started dancing 3 years ago (yes even before mj!)to 'glasgow jive' which ive always known to be a derivative of east coast swing as it is danced with a six beat basic. from what i know east coast is 6 beat although can be mixed with 8 beats as in lindy, west coast is eight beat but can be split into much smaller sections to fit the music!

mind you the ever helpful wikipedia do good descriptions!

West Coast Swing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Swing)

East Coast Swing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Coast_Swing)

MartinHarper
28th-January-2008, 08:13 PM
Anyone know what the differences between ECS and WCS are?

Based on my experience:
East Coast is back-on-1, West Coast is forward-on-1.
East Coast is mostly 6-count, West Coast is mostly 8-count.
East Coast is not slotted, West Coast is.
East Coast is low technique, West Coast is high technique.
East Coast is danced to faster music than West Coast.
East Coast has rolling shoulders (like Foxtrot), West Coast has level shoulders (like mannequins on roller skates).

East Coast is lead/follow-compatible with six-beat Lindy, to the extent that people question whether it is a different dance.

MartinHarper
28th-January-2008, 08:16 PM
Yeah - especially Joseph and Tricia at JiveSwing.com. They'd be in a state of shock :whistle:

Also my local teachers: James Hamilton at jazzjiveswing.com and Gary Boon at jiveandswing.co.uk

StokeBloke
28th-January-2008, 08:20 PM
I think that when you dance ECS you're allowed to smile :whistle:

Minnie M
28th-January-2008, 08:49 PM
Based on my experience:
East Coast has rolling shoulders (like Foxtrot), West Coast has level shoulders (like mannequins on roller skates).

East Coast is lead/follow-compatible with six-beat Lindy, to the extent that people question whether it is a different dance.

:yeah:

I have been known to dance ECS, WCS and Lindy - and IMO Mr. Harper is spot on !

I think that when you dance ECS you're allowed to smile

:rofl:

ducasi
28th-January-2008, 08:55 PM

Also my local teachers: James Hamilton at jazzjiveswing.com and Gary Boon at jiveandswing.co.uk

In which case, do these guys know what a tautology is? ;)

Astro
28th-January-2008, 09:15 PM
Is it really true that the 2 camps hate each other?

ducasi
28th-January-2008, 09:29 PM
No, though it's true that some "swing" people look down on "jive". This seems to be more prevalent amongst WCS dancers, though clearly it is not true of all of them.

Some "jivers" resent the condescension.

Personally, I think of them as very similar dances, but don't like the name of either.

robd
28th-January-2008, 09:43 PM

Well, there was all the East/West Coast 'beef' in the 90s :rolleyes:

I agree that a minority of those who dance swing consider themselves superior to those who are 'just a jiver' but I think there's just as much condescension and superior attitude from those within the jive ranks towards others within that camp. Validating one's own activities/abilities through the denigration of another's seems quite a common trait, within dancing and without.

Little Miss
28th-January-2008, 10:52 PM

The fact that this might be true REALLY annoys me. Why does a person have to be committed to one form of dance and therefore dismiss another? I just don't get it. I love to Jive and I love to WCS and I know that if I had the time, energy and money I would love to ECS, Lindy, Ballroom and any other type of partner dance. It is all fun, we all do each type of dance because we enjoy it and that should be enough.

In particular I have heard a lot of the 'WCS versus Jive' vibe since I started dancing and in my experience it is *******S. I know many, many dancers who love both and although may have a preference for one still partake in the other with masses of enthusiasm and zero condescension - although I am lucky to be surrounded by a particularly lovely Jive and West Coast crowd :nice:

Why can't we all love the dancing we do and enjoy watching others do their thing?

OK - my little rant over. :flower:

Brian Doolan
29th-January-2008, 12:59 AM
Why can't we all love the dancing we do and enjoy watching others do their thing?

:yeah:

~*~Saligal~*~
29th-January-2008, 01:15 AM
Check out this site for ECS steps and info : Learn to dance EC Swing with Ballroomdancers.com! (http://www.ballroomdancers.com/Dances/dance_overview.asp?Dance=ECS)
It notes the tempo, basic rhythm as well as the basic steps via video and broken down in a text format - broken down into the lead and follow movements. You might find this handy when comparing the two dances.
I learnt ECS at Fred Astaire dance studio (I guess that's equivalent to Arthur Murrays?) - and then went off to do ballroom competitively, where I learnt ballroom jive. I found there wasn't an awful lot of difference. Generally it's the same - cept you feel like a "grasshopper on heat" when doing the ballroom version cos of it's "bounciness".

straycat
29th-January-2008, 07:57 PM
In which case, do these guys know what a tautology is? ;)

Certainly do! Have you come across the term 'over-simplification'? :na:

mick s
30th-January-2008, 02:38 PM
Perhaps we need another room at Southport!

carmi50
2nd-May-2008, 12:12 PM
ECS
look at :
Combining All The Swing Dancing Moves! | ExpertVillage Videos (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/19000_swing-lessons-all.htm)

the couple is travelling around.
fw : ts ts rs
======
WCS
look at:
How to Put Patterns Together for West Coast Swing Dancing | ExpertVillage Videos (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/31328_swingdance-four-patters.htm)

the lady is moving in a slot, man is staying in his spot.

fw : rs ts ts

=====================
A lot of moves are similliars. However moves like sugar push, circle are more often used in wcs.

Both of them - ecs , wcs may include 8 count steps in certain moves/
:nice:

JiveLad
2nd-May-2008, 02:51 PM
Based on my experience:

Hi Martin

I'm sure you know a lot more about it - especially being where you are.

When I was in California and learning Swing.....I went here:

Sacramento Swing Dancing Midtown Stomp Swing Dance Lindy Hop (http://www.midtownstomp.com/)

...which does East Coast Swing/Lindy.

As I remember, with ECS - it was all taught 'in the slot' - that was a key part of it. So I'm wondering why you say it is not slotted.

Not a big issue - I'm just interested...............

Thx.

Not sure what happened to the font there............?

MartinHarper
2nd-May-2008, 06:31 PM
As I remember, with ECS - it was all taught 'in the slot' - that was a key part of it. So I'm wondering why you say it is not slotted.

Many moves can be danced slotted if the couple wish. If you are only taught these moves, and you are lucky enough to get a teacher who emphasises technique points, I can imagine this would make the dance seem slotted. However East Coast also has "walkaround" moves, like Modern Jive, which are inherently rotational. Additionally, many people dance it non-slotted socially, again like Modern Jive.

Having said that, East Coast is loosely defined, and I've only experienced it in a few places, so I wouldn't want to contradict your teacher in Sacramento.

~*~Saligal~*~
5th-May-2008, 01:37 AM
Based on my experience:

Hi Martin

I'm sure you know a lot more about it - especially being where you are.

When I was in California and learning Swing.....I went here:

Sacramento Swing Dancing Midtown Stomp Swing Dance Lindy Hop (http://www.midtownstomp.com/)

...which does East Coast Swing/Lindy.

Not a big issue - I'm just interested...............

Thx.

Not sure what happened to the font there............?
Yep - agree that correct technique has the dance somewhat slotted in nature.
Also, for ECS the dancer steps to the side on 1 rather than back.

Lynn
5th-May-2008, 08:42 AM
Were you told specificially that it should be danced slotted or was it just taught that way? I guess the test would have been to watch everyone after your class or when dancing socially. If everyone is in parallel slots then you know that is definitely a key part of it.

Remember its easier to teach in slots just for practicalities of teaching - MJ is taught slotted - and it can be danced slotted (its funny how I now always dance slotted MJ with my WCS practice partner!) but doesn't have to be and certainly in practice on a social dance floor everyone is not dancing that way!

I've seen salsa taught slotted - but you try and find a slot to dance in at a salsa venue locally! (I know this cos we sometimes try dancing WCS at salsa venues.)

The main difference is that when you try to dance in a slot socially, if other dancers keep coming into your space, then they really don't have an understanding of 'slotted dancing'.

(Not making any comment about ECS as I don't know enough about it, just general comments.)

clevedonboy
5th-May-2008, 10:33 AM
I've seen salsa taught slotted - but you try and find a slot to dance in at a salsa venue locally! (I know this cos we sometimes try dancing WCS at salsa venues.)

NY Salsa is slotted Cuban is not. If you were dancing in a NY venue then something was odd if nobody was dancing in slots to say the least!

WRT ECS or Boogie Woogie or whatever you want to call it has slotted moves but it has rotational moves as well (it evolved from lindy so that is no surprise). It doesn't have a discipline for a follower to adhere to though like WCS or NY Salsa

Jivejunkie
5th-May-2008, 11:16 AM
:waycool:I love the way people try to pigeon-hole music and dancing these days. My main music has been 50's and 60's rock and roll for 30 odd years and the dance I have always done is jive, which derived from the Lindy Hop/ Jitterbug, (which I've always wanted to do). Now it's 'modern' jive, which seems to indicate there was an old jive.
The fact is the music is swing and you jive to it! But there again some misguided dj's might refer to some of the stuff in the charts now as rock and roll and we dance 'modern' jive to it
When I first saw East Coast swing a few weeks ago I realised that is what I want, an easy form of lindy, I can't see any thing at all in common with West Coast swing, which is a dance I can't get my head around. but who cares the waltz hasn't really got anything in common with the tango, but they live together quite happily.:D :rolleyes:

Lynn
5th-May-2008, 02:52 PM
NY Salsa is slotted Cuban is not. If you were dancing in a NY venue then something was odd if nobody was dancing in slots to say the least!I know, I just meant I've seen it taught slotted - as in class structure - teachers positioning on stage - just like in MJ.

Never danced in NY - I just know its hard to find a slot in a local venue no matter what style people are dancing! But its the same trying to do WCS in an MJ venue - you often have to move the slot mid dance (usually pick a quietish corner against a wall, even then people move into the slot at times.)

For the practicalities of teaching sometimes a dance is demonstrated that way, but not danced that way - that was all I meant.

MartinHarper
5th-May-2008, 02:55 PM
Also, for ECS the dancer steps to the side on 1 rather than back.

I was regarding the rock-step in East Coast as the "1" of each move, to give the closest comparison to West Coast, and because it's how we think of moves in Modern Jive. However, as you point out, it's often taught with moves starting on the first triple/slow, rather than starting on the rock step. I'm still unclear why they do this.

~*~Saligal~*~
6th-May-2008, 01:59 AM
I was regarding the rock-step in East Coast as the "1" of each move, to give the closest comparison to West Coast, and because it's how we think of moves in Modern Jive. However, as you point out, it's often taught with moves starting on the first triple/slow, rather than starting on the rock step. I'm still unclear why they do this. They do this because it is the dance - does there have to be another reason?
I guess I wonder why it is that there are some people who have the urge to want to water different dances down so that the "rules"/technique of the dance are generic. This is a trend I see in some of the threads when dances are compared. Maybe I'm a dance snob, but I do prefer for each dance style's timing and footwork to be taught as it should be. How would it be for the WCS dancers who really love the dance style to find they've been taught a watered down version? or a version that isn't authentic to the actual dance style?
*getting off soap box now*

NZ Monkey
6th-May-2008, 02:17 AM
They do this because it is the dance - does there have to be another reason?
I guess I wonder why it is that there are some people who have the urge to want to water different dances down so that the "rules"/technique of the dance are generic. This is a trend I see in some of the threads when dances are compared. Maybe I'm a dance snob, but I do prefer for each dance style's timing and footwork to be taught as it should be. How would it be for the WCS dancers who really love the dance style to find they've been taught a watered down version? or a version that isn't authentic to the actual dance style?
*getting off soap box now*I think MartinHarper was trying to say that sometimes moves are taught from the rock-step and other times they are taught from the point after the rock-step, apparently without much consistency. I'd wonder why they teach it that way if it's a wide-spread practice too. Either way - it isn't a comment on the dance's technique, just its presentation to students.

Comparisons with WCS seem reasonable considering the title of the thread is "Difference between ECS and WCS". The MJ reference I believe was just a case of MartinHarper recognizing his audience and presenting his thoughts in a way that is easiest for them (read: most of those reading this thread) to understand.

I agree with your sentiments however :flower:

MartinHarper
6th-May-2008, 03:33 PM
I wonder why it is that there are some people who have the urge to want to water different dances down so that the "rules"/technique of the dance are generic.

What makes you think I want to alter dances in that fashion? I'm merely curious as to the reasons behind some of the differences. One possibility is that Arthur Murray felt it was easier to teach ballroom students to "swing" if he aligned the footwork with Foxtrot, leading to SSQQ rather than QQSS. However, that's just speculation on my part. To be honest, I'm not even 100% sure what footwork Arthur Murray taught - the parallel with Foxtrot footwork may have been a later innovation. Do you happen to know the history here?

I've been taught East Coast with moves starting on the rock step, and I've been taught East Coast with moves starting on the first slow/triple - it seems to depend on the teacher. I don't know enough about the history to know which is more authentic as a teaching method, but given that they both produce the same dance, does it matter?