PDA

View Full Version : Hints please

jeanie
22nd-January-2008, 12:40 PM
Having left it a bit late to learn the lead for this weekend. I was wondering if anybody (please! :flower:) could give me some inspiration as to what moves to do as a routine, so that I could at least put them to practice in class tomorrow. I can do about 2 then my brain shrivels up and I stand there doing an in and out for what seems like an eternity.

Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to make us look fab on the dancefloor. (My friend has just started learning so we might look a bit like the blind leading the blind :o)

Thanks!:D

timbp
22nd-January-2008, 12:51 PM
Having left it a bit late to learn the lead for this weekend. I was wondering if anybody (please! :flower:) could give me some inspiration as to what moves to do as a routine, so that I could at least put them to practice in class tomorrow. I can do about 2 then my brain shrivels up and I stand there doing an in and out for what seems like an eternity.

Doesn't have to be fancy, just something to make us look fab on the dancefloor. (My friend has just started learning so we might look a bit like the blind leading the blind :o)

If you can do two moves, then divide each of them in two and you have four moves. Put those halfs together, with appropriate glue (like returns), and you might have 8 moves.

(For any pure mathematicians who want to suggest my recommendation provides more than eight moves, try talking to an applied mathematician. If still not convinced, try dancing Ceroc/modern jive yourself and see how many moves you can lead.)

Freudian Hips
22nd-January-2008, 01:42 PM

Learn the moves in class tomorrow and then just do them!! Bung in some horrible in and outs with an hallelujah, a first move and an octopus and you'll manage - now you see why I don't lead in freestyle :rofl:

We can "practise" tomorrow!!:rofl::flower::rofl:

Ghost
22nd-January-2008, 01:43 PM
You could try this....

Imagine a big clock face infront of you so 12 is straight up, 3 is right, 6 is down and 9 is left. When you finish a move your hand is either going to be moving in one of those directions or straight into / out of the clock face.

Look at the beginnings of the moves you know in terms of this motion. eg a Cerocspin starts by moving to 3 o'clock.

Practice leading a move and at the end pause and figure out what would match the ending.

eg a Basket, Octopus and Manspin will all chain into a Cerocspin.

Hopefully you'll get to the point where you have one move for the various directions and can just do it, rather than a routine.

But to answer the question - Octopus, Basket, Manspin repeat (But do the octopus before the basket)

David Bailey
22nd-January-2008, 02:10 PM
Columbian! :D

ShinyWeeStar
22nd-January-2008, 02:11 PM
Learn the moves in class tomorrow and then just do them!!

~snip~

:yeah: to both! I'll be there for the beginners class tomorrow as I'm bringing a friend who's a newbie, so will be trying to learn to lead the routine too! Watch out beginner ladies! :rofl:

Steven666
22nd-January-2008, 02:15 PM
What I did was to mentally think of three lists (but you can write them down if needs be).

- Land handed moves
- Right handed moves
- Double handed moves

Then list the moves you know or those you could quickly pick up and put them under those three lists.

Then when you exit one move and finish say right to right, just think of your right handed list then do one of those moves.

Well I found that a help when I was learning anyway!

Tiggerbabe
22nd-January-2008, 02:17 PM
Bung in some horrible in and outs
I'd rather she bunged in some fantastic in and outs :na:

Freudian Hips
22nd-January-2008, 02:53 PM

The way you do them, darlink, they are fabulous ........:worthy:

jeanie
22nd-January-2008, 03:16 PM
Fab - thanks! lol

You could try this....

:maths stuff:
Thank you Ghost, but for my peabrain I'll just very confuddled with thinking oh is it 3 o'clock or 6.... :what:

Yea but they got boring after the 6th one....:whistle:

jeanie
22nd-January-2008, 03:18 PM
- Land handed moves
- Right handed moves
- Double handed moves

Thank you! But again overloading my brain with lists it probably going to make it shortfuse. :blush:

Just a simple routine that will stick in my brain and won't make my mate say 'oh for god's sake is that all you know?' (she's not being rude, that's our humour!)

Ghost
22nd-January-2008, 03:41 PM
Thank you Ghost, but for my peabrain I'll just very confuddled with thinking oh is it 3 o'clock or 6.... :what:

Hee, that's just to explain the concept. Here's the sneaky bit, you practice that way to get it into your body memory, but you don't dance that way. What you'll find is you end up going very slowly at first in practice, but, and this is the nice bit, it gradually starts to flow. At this point the end of each move actually starts you into your next move, so you don't actually have to think at all, you just keep going. So rather than having to think "what's the next move in the sequence?" you simply realise you're already starting the lead for a cerocspin etc and just carry on. Other added bonuses are that this will automatically cycle you through different hand-holds, moves etc so you don't get stuck in endless loops; and any new move can just be plugged in. Trust me, 3 mins is a long time if you're relying on routines.

I do know women who've learnt a couple of routines to buy them time / calm them down if they do get locked into endless armjives. The catch (and I'd be interested in what the female leads on here think) is that the ones who only did this stopped leading fairly quickly. I haven't asked enough people to be conclusive, but it's a worrying trend if you want to do this long term.

Edit - oh you might want to seriously consider leading "play" too :whistle:

Andy McGregor
22nd-January-2008, 03:43 PM
My advice is to do what you can already do. Plenty of posing and wiggling looks good. Do moves where the lead and follow are similar, possibly an arm jive or two, wurlitzer, octopus, overhead walk, some twirly things like a manspin and then more posing and wiggling - and smile a lot and engage the audience.

jeanie
24th-January-2008, 12:02 PM
My advice is to do what you can already do. Plenty of posing and wiggling looks good. Do moves where the lead and follow are similar, possibly an arm jive or two, wurlitzer, octopus, overhead walk, some twirly things like a manspin and then more posing and wiggling - and smile a lot and engage the audience.
HAving learnt manspin last night, I must say - I love it!

batnurse
24th-January-2008, 12:55 PM

Shouldn't that be "personspin" :rofl:

I thought your leading was wonderful last night :flower:

Steven666
24th-January-2008, 02:06 PM

So do I but I've been told that mine is vicious. Probably because it is! :D

martingold
24th-January-2008, 07:04 PM
its known as the most dangerous move in ceroc
us men have four lethal weapons ie two fists and two elbows when performing that move :grin:

jeanie
24th-January-2008, 07:08 PM
Shouldn't that be "personspin" :rofl:

I thought your leading was wonderful last night :flower:
:blush: thank you for letting me lead you BN :flower:

SOme of the guys do it rather daintily and I think it just looks fab. Love it!