PDA

View Full Version : WCS workshops

eeyore
20th-January-2008, 07:24 PM
As Cat has now stopped doing the Bisley workshops, we now (I understand) have a choice of either Lee at Bisley or Cat at Windsor. Now the first of both have taken place, does anyone have any feedback on these please? Bisley has had a good reputation, I'm wondering whether both of them are as good now the class members are potentially split... Am thinking of doing one of them but it's a long way to travel on the off!

Minnie M
20th-January-2008, 07:41 PM
I went to Bisley last Sunday and really enjoyed it..........

Lee is doing a great job teaching plus a nice friendly crowd and great dancers and good numbers (plus yummy cakes)

Marilene has spent over three years building this event up and hopefully the dancers will continue supporting her.

Miss Flicts
21st-January-2008, 05:49 PM
I went to Bisley last Sunday and really enjoyed it...........

Do they gender-balance the numbers? I quite fancy trying it.

Minnie M
21st-January-2008, 06:11 PM

Yes, at Bisley - definitely !

It was really great and they guys actually ask for a dance !!!

Chef
21st-January-2008, 06:11 PM

Both the Bisley event and Cat and Pauls workshops at Windsor always have tried to gender balance in the past and I see no reason why that would change in the future.

As with most workshops these days there are more women than men wanting to attend and so if you were hoping to go to a workshop without a partner I would advise you to get your booking in as early as possible.

Even if you do this there may not be enough men going on their own at the time of your requesting a booking. In this case the ladies are put on a waiting list and then informed when enough men have booked for the event to be gender balanced.

This can play on some peoples nerves because the men, having had it easy for so long, tend to book only a few days before the event meaning that the ladies on the waiting list only find out if they have a confirmed place a few days before the event.

dave the scaffolder
21st-January-2008, 06:14 PM
This is the only place in the world where men have the power.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

Get me a white cat, a scar over my eye and a manual on world domination.

DTS Dave XXX XXX

Mary
21st-January-2008, 06:54 PM
Lee is a superb teacher and I gather the format of Bisley is going to be slightly different. Can't comment on last Sunday's workshop as I wasn't there but I hear it was very good.

I went to Paul and Cat's Windsor workshops and T-dance on Sunday which was very well attended, and had a fun crowd there. Also Paul Warden is very entertaining and is also a superb teacher, and Cat always runs a well-organised event. Windsor also happens to be a lot more convenient for me with the added attraction of lots of restaurants nearby to go to after the T-dance.

As Minnie M says both events are gender-balanced and ladies put on a waiting list and contacted when spaces become available.

I think the people that gain are the punters as there is now more choice for us southerners, and we are quite spoilt with top teachers at both events.

M

eeyore
21st-January-2008, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like they're both good so will have to use other criteria - can't really justify doing both each month sadly...
I do Lee's weekly classes so I know I like his teaching, have been taught by Paul Warden but not for quite a while & at beginners level only - never been taught by Cat but I know people who have - decisions, decisions :what:!!

Minnie M
21st-January-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the feedback, sounds like they're both good so will have to use other criteria - can't really justify doing both each month sadly...
I do Lee's weekly classes so I know I like his teaching, have been taught by Paul Warden but not for quite a while & at beginners level only - never been taught by Cat but I know people who have - decisions, decisions :what:!!

If you are happy with Lee's teaching, it would make sense to stay with him, especially if you can't do both, and he would appreciate having his students with him.

NZ Monkey
21st-January-2008, 08:15 PM
If you are happy with Lee's teaching, it would make sense to stay with him, especially if you can't do both, and he would appreciate having his students with him.:yeah:

You're in the enviable position of not being able to go wrong. All three are world-class teachers in my opinion. It might be nice to go to the other one every three months or so just to get to dance with a few people you might not get a chance to otherwise, but as I said no matter what option you take it'll be a good one :D

Minnie M
21st-January-2008, 08:37 PM
As Cat has now stopped doing the Bisley workshops, we now (I understand) have a choice of either Lee at Bisley or Cat at Windsor.........

Such a shame Cat has stopped working for Marilene at Bisley and started in a similar area - there are sooooooooo many areas in the UK who are crying out for WCS workshops who would more than welcome her expertise :tears:

Mary
23rd-January-2008, 11:29 AM
Ooops. Sorry Chef. Just realised that it was you that confirmed both events gender-balance, although it was Minnie who confirmed Bisley as gender-balanced.

Although not exactly the north side of London, it does seem that Windsor is more convenient for those coming from the north (there were people there from Cambridge, and I think a guy from the Midlands), and Bisley is better placed for those based in the south. One guy I know went to Bisley instead of Windsor as it was more convenient for him.

Yes, globally they are not a million miles apart, but Windsor is on my doorstep so I'm not going to complain. :wink:

M

Chef
23rd-January-2008, 11:50 AM
Ooops. Sorry Chef. Just realised that it was you that confirmed both events gender-balance, although it was Minnie who confirmed Bisley as gender-balanced.

I don't understand why you think that I deserve an apology. I can't see that you did anything naughty.

I can understand why the Windsor event is where it is. Because it is close to Cat and Paul was running an event there before he and Cat started these workshops. It is a great location due to its proximity to the M4 meaning that people travelling in from the West will find the travelling easier, if not particularly short. There is one couple I know who have been going to the Bisley workshop for years and I only just found out that they live in west Wales and have a 5 hour drive each way!:eek:

I don't see any prospect that workshops or classes will be starting to be set up closer to me so for the meantime I will have to put up with the long drive to weekend workshops because the regular classes are out of range for an evening with work to go to the next day.

What I am hoping for is that some how the south west of London workshops will get into phase so there is a workshop on the saturday and another on the following sunday so that it would be worth getting a hotel room and making a whole weekend of it. It would also be great if there was a class somewhere near Pease Pottage on the M23. That would put it only 40 minutes drive from me. I know lots of people from south east London and Brighton who are keen to have some high quality tutition. Pease pottage would be within range of both groups of people.

It's a New Year. I am allowed to have wishes and dreams.

Seahorse
23rd-January-2008, 02:34 PM
Sunday was very good.

Cat also announced a previously unpublished class taking place on the 24th February.

eeyore
23rd-January-2008, 09:48 PM
Comparatively there's not a huge difference in mileage for me, Windsor is an easier journey by the looks of it. But if going it alone I'd prefer public transport which I think rules out Bisley. So the decision only applies if anyone else from up here is going too...
I agree with the point about sticking with Lee's teaching, had just wondered about any advantages of another point of view - sometimes a different turn of phrase makes it all clear :clap:! But Lee makes it clear anyway - you're right, it's nice to be spoilt for choice...

NZ Monkey
24th-January-2008, 12:38 AM
I agree with the point about sticking with Lee's teaching, had just wondered about any advantages of another point of view - sometimes a different turn of phrase makes it all clear :clap:! But Lee makes it clear anyway - you're right, it's nice to be spoilt for choice...:yeah:

For what it's worth, both Cat and Lee have different strengths regarding their teaching style so it's quite possible one would be better than the other for a particular individual. Having never attended one of Pauls workshops I'm not in a position to comment, but one assumes his reputation is good for a reason. :wink:

Personally I'd found that Cat's teaching was very measured and focused at the current level of the students, and my impression was that she had a long-term development plan in mind, giving just the right amount of detail for now. Meanwhile Lee was more inclinded to stretch the class further and provide details that were perhaps a little tricky for most of the students to take on board at that point in time. At least you had a good idea of what your long-term goals were if you payed attention though.

I really appreciated both strengths, and it's not as if either of them are lacking in any teaching department either IMHO.

They're both fantastic, so more depends on your particular learning style than anything else. Try both workshops if you get a chance as they're both close to you, but if you're happy with Lee then that's the most important thing. Why "fix" what ain't broke?:flower:

Twirlie Bird
30th-January-2008, 01:30 AM
Such a shame Cat has stopped working for Marilene at Bisley and started in a similar area - there are sooooooooo many areas in the UK who are crying out for WCS workshops who would more than welcome her expertise :tears:

I've heard that Cat is starting six week of WCS classes in Solihull. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

Chef
30th-January-2008, 02:05 AM
I've heard that Cat is starting six week of WCS classes in Solihull. Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

It looks like her own website can confirm this. See UK Classes (http://www.westcoastswing.co.uk/catalog.html). Classes start on tuesday 12th Feb. I have done her course a few times (slow learner) and I think it is very good and thorough.

A really good website because it lists all the UK classes (not just her own) as well as workshops and weekend events wholly or partly with WCS (see the calendar link on the website.