PDA

View Full Version : So!! How Clean Are Your Hands?

Dance Demon
5th-October-2003, 10:58 AM
Having a discussion about recent threads like the smoking thing and affects on health, and got round to speaking about cleanliness. I always wash my hands after going to the loo,(having worked in the food & drink industry for years it's a must:D ), but I,ve noticed quite often that not all guys do this. I often see guys come in to the toilet for a wee, (or more:sick: ), and when they are finished, just go straight back out without washing their hands. Now, with modern jive being a very hands on type of dance, I find it hard to believe that some guys are inconsiderate enough to engage in this practice, but nevertheless, they are. I remember a while back, we were at a Jive weekender, and Mrs D had a small cut on her finger. It actually got quite infected over the weekend, and didn't start to heal properly until we had got back and missed out a few nights dancing. I reckon this could have been due to her dancing with guys with unwashed hands. So come on guys, lets be kind to the ladies, and make sure that hands get washed after the loo....it only takes seconds, and is very important:wink:
:cheers:

Lounge Lizard
5th-October-2003, 06:31 PM
There was a survey carried out at golf clubs a few years ago where they tested the free peanuts put out on the bar on Sunday lunchtimes - on average 16 different types of urine were found on the nuts :sick:
p

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
There was a survey carried out at golf clubs a few years ago where they tested the free peanuts put out on the bar on Sunday lunchtimes - on average 16 different types of urine were found on the nuts :sick:
p

I think my 'Urban Myth' detector has just gone off - I heard the same story with mint imperials in restaurants!

But this is a serious subject. I wonder how long it would take for everyone to have had contact with everyone else, once, twice, three times removed etc. Those nasty, nasty germs can spread very thinly and it only needs one for them to multipy - they don't even need a mate to reproduce (lucky them!).

Just donning my microbiologist hat for a moment I can say that you're unlikely to pick anything from another dancer so long as you take the precaution of washing your own hands before you eat and putting a plaster on any cuts or abrasions before you start dancing. But that doesn't excuse poor hygiene.

I often wash my hands before I start dancing even if I haven't gone to the loo. Also, when I go dancing I carry a tissue in my pocket so if I need to I can cough or sneeze into that rather than my hand - I've said it before, but what do you do if someone coughs or sneezes into their hand then offers it to you?:sick:

ChrisA
5th-October-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
I find it hard to believe that some guys are inconsiderate enough to engage in this practice, but nevertheless, they are.
I've noticed this too, more than once, and it grossed me out.

As do blokes that have BO and still expect ladies to dance with them (there was one guy at Hipsters on Friday who stank.. I had the misfortune to be next to him in the line during the class at Uxbridge a few weeks ago and he stank then as well)

Come on girls, just don't dance with them.

Sorry to hijack the thread, DD, but some things like this just light my blue touch paper.

Chris

Forte
5th-October-2003, 08:52 PM
Any chat that encourages personal hygiene is all right by me. I think it's good to make the guilty ones think! Well done for bringing this up! :cheers:

Boomer
5th-October-2003, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Forte
Well done for bringing this up! :cheers:

Lovely choice of words:rofl: Have to agree on the hygene, saw more than a few people leave the toilet without washing hands...not the most appealing of thoughts. Lack of deoderant is another, and...ummm. this doesn't just apply to then men - sorry ladies:sorry - there have been a couple of times when a step accross has felt as if floating through a green mist.:sick:

ChrisA
5th-October-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Boomer
this doesn't just apply to the men - sorry ladies
True in principle, but let's get a sense of scale here... I've been, shall we say "peripherally" aware, of far more stinking blokes - whom I haven't been that close to - than I have actually danced with ladies that smell in any way unpleasant, and I have a pretty sensitive sense of smell.

I truly believe that ladies should absolutely refuse point-blank to dance with anyone that can't take the trouble to smell Ok on the dance floor.

People that (a) don't keep themselves clean and (b) can't be a**ed to know are most unlikely to be sensitive enough to take a gentle hint.

Clue for the guys: if one shirt is enough on an average night where you dance more than 50% of the tracks, you're an alien.

Chris

ChrisA
5th-October-2003, 11:26 PM
This thread reminds me of an old Far Side cartoon...

http://www.gostc.flyer.co.uk/images/didnt.jpg

Andy McGregor
5th-October-2003, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by ChrisA
As do blokes that have BO and still expect ladies to dance with them (there was one guy at Hipsters on Friday who stank.. I had the misfortune to be next to him in the line during the class at Uxbridge a few weeks ago and he stank then as well)Chris

Blokes with BO are a real problem. They're the reason we all need to know some travelling moves. Picture this, you ask a lovely woman for a dance, she doesn't know you but says 'yes'. You find a nice space on the dance floor and start dancing. Then you notice a smell of BO:sick: So must your partner. How does she know it's not you? How do you know it's not her? You need to move somewhere else. You can't tell her you're moving because of the smell - just in case it's her:devil: So you need to know those travelling moves - and just hope you don't end up next to another guy with BO:devil:

In my years of doing modern jive I've only come across one woman with bad BO. But hardly a week goes by when I don't smell some guy somewhere in the room:sick:

Years ago I was on a management course where we were told the 'secret' method for telling people they have BO. There's only one way to do it. You tell them that they have BO. You can signpost it by saying 'I've got something to tell you that you won't like' which seems to soften the blow. But no amount of hinting will get the message across. They'll never guess, if they suspected they had a problem they would have done something about it. I've told a few guys I've known well at dancing that they have this problem. I've waited until the end of the night and managed to catch them alone then told them. They've always thanked me and in all but one of the cases they've never been smelly again:waycool:

But back to the washing hands thing. The only problem with washing your hands is that often the hand driers don't. Which means that you have to go back to dance with wet hands - and your partner might wonder what the moisture is:sick: I always carry a towel, which solves the problem. In addition my dancing bag contains dance shoes, spare shirts, deodorant, after shave, breath freshener, tissues, plasters, contact lenses, case and solution, spare laces, pens, loose change, membership cards and assorted leaflets. Maybe I should start carrying an air freshener for the guys with BO and latex gloves so I don't have to worry about where people's hands have been:devil:

During the lesson at the Crawley venue on a Friday guys spotted coming back form the loo are often greeted by Katie saying 'I hope you've washed your hands'. I think this works as a good reminder for people who 'forget':waycool:

ChrisA
6th-October-2003, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor
Which means that you have to go back to dance with wet hands - and your partner might wonder what the moisture is
In my experience wet hands (on ladies) are due to them just having had a drink from their bottle of cold water.

If it's because the hand drier hasn't, I don't have a problem with that, though, either... if anything, it's reassuring :)

Great checklist there, BTW Andy. Got everything there in mine except the contact lens admin and the after shave (must clear out the leaflets sometime...).

Chris

DavidY
6th-October-2003, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Andy McGregor in another thread
She said that so long as we danced near the speakers she could feel the beat in her stomach muscles. ~snip~ the bad news, for me, was that, if she could see you, she could lip read what you said no matter how loud the music was:blush: More bad news - if you dance near enough to speakers that you can feel the music in your stomach, you risk hearing damage & may get to experience dancing while deaf 1st hand ...

I always carry a towel, which solves the problem. In addition my dancing bag contains dance shoes, spare shirts, deodorant, after shave, breath freshener, tissues, plasters, contact lenses, case and solution, spare laces, pens, loose change, membership cards and assorted leaflets. ...suggest you add earplugs to your list.

Dance Demon
6th-October-2003, 09:36 AM

The only problem with washing your hands is that often the hand driers don't.

They are more hygienic though Andy, but only if they do the job they are meant to. The automatic ones can be infuriating, coz the bit where the "magic eye" that starts it up is ,ain't the place where the hot air blows, so you end up with wet hands, and hot dry wrists....But if you carry a towel in your bag, as we all should, then the wet hands problem is solved. Also if you are on your way back from the loo with wet hands, and you get asked to dance, by saying, " sure, but I just have to dry my hands first" lets the lady know that you have washed them:D

Chicklet
6th-October-2003, 10:13 AM
I carry a wee bottle of no-water-required handwash in my bag of tricks - not a replacement for good old soap and hot water after a visit to the littlest room but great for a quick clean up after a sweaty hand dance, (or in the real world, when travelling especially)

Costs about £2 a bottle I think and you only need a tiny spot to freshen up.

Highly recomended!

Pammy
6th-October-2003, 10:39 AM
saw more than a few people leave the toilet without washing hands...not the most appealing of thoughts.

Right, can you point out to me who it was so I can avoid them in future!!!

ladies:sorry - there have been a couple of times when a step accross has felt as if floating through a green mist.:sick:

I notice you didn't do the step across with me on Fri :really: :what: :tears: Now I'm frantically trying to remember if you had a jade-tinge to your complexion whilst dancing with me :sorry

I could recommend putting some wet-wipes in ones dance bag; if anyone needs one, ask Sheepy; just remember, he carries an extra EVERYTHING in his bag of delights.... :wink:

Pammy
6th-October-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
I carry a wee bottle

Wondered where this was going for a moment, being a southerner! :wink:

ianmate
6th-October-2003, 12:34 PM
I think a sense of perspective is called for in this sort of topic (or it tends to get all medieval): there's far more germs in the loose change in your pocket, or on the door handles, than on the end of a man's "best friend and boss" - it makes more sense to wash your hands before going to the loo than afterwards :sick:

Conversations on hygiene can often end up more about perception (i.e. superstition) than reality. Have you ever been to a sandwich shop etc. were the staff are all wearing plastic gloves "for hygiene reasons" but are handling the food and customers money with the same, albeit gloved, hands?! ARGH, makes me want to scream!!!

(can I apply to be Devil's Advocate II :) )

..., breath freshener, tissues, plasters, contact lenses, case and solution, spare laces, sonic screwdriver, dried frog pills...

My prized bag-possession is a film cannister... After competitions, or whenever I get something back from the dry-cleaners, I collect up all the safety pins. I've saved the modesty of many a female friend by repairing broken dress straps etc. :cheers:

Sheepman
6th-October-2003, 02:20 PM
There's only one way to do it. You tell them that they have BO.

In addition my dancing bag contains dance shoes, spare shirts, deodorant, after shave, breath freshener, tissues, plasters, contact lenses, case and solution, spare laces, pens, loose change, membership cards and assorted leaflets.

Andy, is that all? Your bag must be a lightweight model. And yes I have got the earplugs in amongst everything else.

Ian - maybe the ladies don't mind handling (or otherwise) what's been on the end of your todger, but I DO, even if it is second hand. Yes there's more germs on loose change, door handles etc., but this is no excuse for what only takes a few seconds. And in all the jive venues I go to, I rarely find there is a problem with the driers, apart from being too slow, so you're missing half that next track. But if you don't dry properly, the bugs multiply faster than if you hadn't washed at all.

I always wash after visiting the loo, and sometimes before, as well as before eating, which is why I missed out on all of Saturday night's buffet snacks. Mrs Sheepman has asked me to point out to her those men that don't, and she says it hardly ever happens that the women don't.

Andy, good approach re. the B.O., it still takes bottle though. At Beach Boogie there was at least one guy so bad, that I had to keep asking Mrs. "Is it me?" But no, I just had to escape to the far side of the hall.

Greg

Forte
6th-October-2003, 02:26 PM
Thank you Mr Sheepman...I was too shy to say it. But glad someone did!!!

ianmate
6th-October-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
Ian - maybe the ladies don't mind handling (or otherwise) what's been on the end of your todger, but I DO,

I never said I didn't wash my hands. It's interesting that you assumed that!... (and I don't think we've ever had a dance :) )

Ian germs are good for you Mate

Sheepman
6th-October-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by ianmate
I never said I didn't wash my hands. It's interesting that you assumed that!... (and I don't think we've ever had a dance :) ) I didn't assume it, but I was just testing! We wouldn't want everyone else assuming it too.
No we haven't had a dance (that still applies to Andy too :tears: ) but that's why I said "2nd hand."

Greg

michael
6th-October-2003, 02:58 PM
Well done DD good post about washing hands etc.

Also a reminder to us all that dancing is a social thing. You wouldnt dream of going out on a date unless you smelled nice and fresh so why should we behave differently on the dance floor. :nice:

Heard someone mention bad breath re: Garlic from curries. So whilst in supermarket the other day i thought.... best start eating less curries...... has anyone else noticed how much food these days contain Garlic Puree. :sad:

Mention was made on another thread somewhere about ladies wearing suitable underwear especially when led into certain moves. Last week i just completed a rather low seducer at the end of a track and Rip..... went my trowsers with a giant six inch hole showing...fortunately i just happened to have black pants to match my black trowsers and Yes DD the rip was made by the extended seducer and not by any other means:wink:

Bill
6th-October-2003, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by michael
Last week i just completed a rather low seducer at the end of a track and Rip..... went my trowsers with a giant six inch hole showing...fortunately i just happened to have black pants to match my black trowsers and Yes DD the rip was made by the extended seducer and not by any other means:wink:

Ah the foresight to wear matching underwear :wink: ......must remember that one just in case !

As for hygiene.........................yep it's very unpleasant but some people do suffer badly and even when washed can sweat badly when exercising. One tip is to do more 'bluesy' dancing then you don't move so much and so don't sweat nealry as much :na:

And not washing after the loo..................come on gentlemen - even if there's more dirt or whatever on coins it should be automatic - with or without functioning hand dryers. But maybe some men will claim that they don't actually touch their genitals but just whip it in and out so no need to wash :what:

Dance Demon
6th-October-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Bill
And not washing after the loo..................come on gentlemen - even if there's more dirt or whatever on coins it should be automatic - with or without functioning hand dryers. But maybe some men will claim that they don't actually touch their genitals but just whip it in and out so no need to wash :what:

So what do they use to "whip it in and out" with....their hands maybe:wink:
Re BO.....everyone sweats when they dance/excercise.....new sweat doesn't tend to smell too much......old sweat pongs.....so if someone is pongy,then they need to wash & change their clothing more frequently:wink: ...don't want to labour this point too much as it has already been covered in other threads a while back. however the handwashing thing is just a pet hate of mine. It's also the reason why if I am at a function, and there is a buffet, I like to get up there quickly, before the non hand washers get their grubby mitts on the chicken drumsticks:D

Pammy
6th-October-2003, 05:04 PM
It's also the reason why if I am at a function, and there is a buffet, I like to get up there quickly, before the non hand washers get their grubby mitts on the chicken drumsticks:D

Right, add that to my list of phobias. I'm now going to be first in the queue; I'd never even thought of that til you put it so plainly!

:sick: Px

Gadget
6th-October-2003, 05:30 PM
Re BO.....everyone sweats when they dance/excercise.....new sweat doesn't tend to smell too much......old sweat pongs.....

...So don't stop dancing and the sweat won't have a chance to get old! :D {well, that's my theory... I havn't been told that it's incorrect... yet... :sick:}

Sheepman
6th-October-2003, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Bill
One tip is to do more 'bluesy' dancing then you don't move so much and so don't sweat nealry as much
Nope, sorry, it doesn't cool me down! Unless you do it at a distance :confused:

Greg

Emma
6th-October-2003, 09:11 PM

I truly believe that ladies should absolutely refuse point-blank to dance with anyone that can't take the trouble to smell Ok on the dance floor. I'm not sure I can agree with this, though I understand the sentiment. I have been in a situation where I was dancing with a beginner who smelt bad, and who had hands so unpleasantly sweaty that I rushed to the loo afterwards to wash.. but this guy clearly had special needs, and to refuse him as a beginner who had even more than the usual problems with confidence that most beginners have would be plain cruel. However I confess I spoke to the taxi dancers and asked them to give their normal 'look what I carry in my bag - towel, deoderant, spare shirt' speech a little more emphasis in the follwing weeks....

Dreadful Scathe
6th-October-2003, 09:27 PM
hmm, the interesting thing about this thread is our modern take on it. Jive has roots way back in the 20's and 30's, no toothpaste, deodorants, shampoos or any of those other things we now all demand people use :).

But then they probably eat less junk food, Im sure that makes a difference to how you smell :what:

Tazmanian Devil
6th-October-2003, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Emma
I'm not sure I can agree with this, though I understand the sentiment. I have been in a situation where I was dancing with a beginner who smelt bad, and who had hands so unpleasantly sweaty that I rushed to the loo afterwards to wash.. but this guy clearly had special needs, and to refuse him as a beginner who had even more than the usual problems with confidence that most beginners have would be plain cruel. However I confess I spoke to the taxi dancers and asked them to give their normal 'look what I carry in my bag - towel, deoderant, spare shirt' speech a little more emphasis in the follwing weeks....

I have to agree with you there luv his personal hygine has definatly improved over the weeks but it has took a few hygine lectures when we go upstairs for it to sink in.
Just the other week when I was taxing with Phil we had to give a big talk about personal hygine!! he will get there in the end im sure:wink:

Emma
6th-October-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
But then they probably eat less junk food, Im sure that makes a difference to how you smell :what: Ha ha, yup..I can smell a McDonald's dinner on a dancer quicker than you can say..er..McDonald's. :wink:

Twinkle Toes
6th-October-2003, 09:47 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bill
And not washing after the loo..................come on gentlemen - even if there's more dirt or whatever on coins it should be automatic - with or without functioning hand dryers

Agree with Bill here and very topical thread DD. We were only just talking about this when we were down south at the weekend.
Personally, if I have the misfortune to dance with anyone that stinks, I tend to avoid them thereafter and don't hesitate in saying no thanks if they happen to catch me.

The way I see it is this - if they can't be bothered to have a good wash or shower before they go dancing, then why should us women bother to dance with them ! :mad:

Danced with loads of sweaty men (part & parcel of the dance scene) but in general, it's only the un-washed ones that stink. The difference is massive. :sick:

TT x

ChrisA
6th-October-2003, 11:12 PM
.. but this guy clearly had special needs, and to refuse him as a beginner who had even more than the usual problems with confidence that most beginners have would be plain cruel. However I confess I spoke to the taxi dancers and asked them to give their normal 'look what I carry in my bag - towel, deoderant, spare shirt' speech a little more emphasis in the follwing weeks.... Well, you're very sweet!!:cheers:

I totally applaud you for making allowances for him as a beginner requiring education... but did he reform? "Special needs" is a bit of an understatement in my book if a bloke old enough to shave doesn't know how to keep clean... :D

I guess I'm really talking about the guys who have been dancing for a while and still can't be a**ed to shower beforehand and change their shirt if they get sweaty.

The more serious point I suppose is that the guys that smell bad probably don't realise, and because people don't tell them, they remain in ignorance, stinking out their immediate vicinity.

But how thick do you have to be, not to know that if you don't wash and change your clothes, you'll smell bad, especially if you're exercising? The girls have got it sussed, by and large, why should the blokes get any dispensation?

Chris

Fran
6th-October-2003, 11:18 PM
we teach children to always wash their hand after being to the loo so its disgusting that some adults who should know better dont do it. :sick: :sick: maybe a humerous sign in the loo may help?

smelly bodies ( unpleasants smells that it is)
One of our Edinburgh teachers Alison actually mentions it in class, the first time it was pointed out to the men in a class that there is the possiabilty that some people might not be so sweet smelling almost drew applause from the ladies. And some of the guys looked perplexed!

I agree with pammy that it is not always so easy to avoid dancing with someone male or female who might be a bit smelly. There is a difference between clean sweat and old really stinky sweat I think. But there should not be an excuse, even if people do not wear deodorant they can still wash themselves a bit in the loo. At Marcos its great because we have showers and they can be used all evening. ( they are separate ones though - not mixed! :devil: )

great tip for the buffet though DD. :hug:

fran

still trying to visualise the no hands whiping it out effect::nice:

Pammy
7th-October-2003, 09:38 AM
I think that the washing hands after going to the toilet should, as Fran said, be obvious to anyone over the age of 6!

The smell thing can be difficult though; I know of a situation at work where a guy used to be rather smelly, but also very clean. I think he had a problem with blocked glands (?) or something like that and I really don't think it was that he didn't wash as he always looked immaculate, but there was always a nasty smell around him. He was one of the nicest people going and people at work were always making snide comments that he would hear about him and I found it really uncomfortable and embarassing.

Some people can't help being a bit more "aromatic" than others, and we have to make sure we target those who are deliberately being a bit on the dirty side, as opposed to those who just can't help it on medical grounds.

Px

michael
7th-October-2003, 09:48 AM
Just a thought really..... could ceroc advise all the teachers to mention briefly during the class routine about generally smelling nice and fresh and remember to bring a towel and spare shirt with you if you are dancing often. I have heard this mentioned on Thursday nights at Marcos (Edinburgh) so why not elsewhere????:cheers:

ChrisA
7th-October-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
Some people can't help being a bit more "aromatic" than others, and we have to make sure we target those who are deliberately being a bit on the dirty side, as opposed to those who just can't help it on medical grounds.

I agree with this.. it would probably solve 99% of the problem if people that could do something about it, did.

However, speaking personally, I think if I had a medical problem that I knew made me smell bad, I'd choose a pastime that didn't involve inflicting a hot and sweaty me on people in close proximity.

It's bad enough that I even inflict my dancing on people :D

Chris

Pammy
7th-October-2003, 10:33 AM
I knew made me smell bad, I'd choose a pastime that didn't involve inflicting a hot and sweaty me on people in close proximity.

I think that most people with a problem like this, are unaware of it. That's the sad thing.

Andy McGregor
7th-October-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
The smell thing can be difficult though; I know of a situation at work where a guy used to be rather smelly, but also very clean. I think he had a problem with blocked glands (?) or something like that and I really don't think it was that he didn't wash as he always looked immaculate, but there was always a nasty smell around him. He was one of the nicest people going and people at work were always making snide comments that he would hear about him and I found it really uncomfortable and embarassing.
Px

I took on a guy some time ago who was very smelly. He had a musty sort mildew smell like tents that have been put away when damp. I obvioulsy had to speak with him about it. Surprisingly, he knew all about it and wasn't prepared to do anything about it at all. He didn't think it was a problem:sick: Luckily, he solved my dilemma by leaving. He'd only come to work for me because he'd been on benefit for a long time and the DSS had made him get a job - and I thought I was being really good giving someone a chance who'd not worked for ages. Once he'd worked for a while he thought the clock would go back to zero with the DSS. I've no idea if it was true but he definitely didn't like working:rolleyes:

Obviously he was single - but he did have a lot of mates at his local. They must have had no sense of smell, probably smokers:devil:

Chris
10th-October-2003, 12:52 AM
I loved Andy's post about a dance bag checklist - makes me feel I'm not the only obsessive one! Anybody else got lists of useful things to add?
:blush:
Like Chicklet, I'm a fan of the little bottles of waterless hand cleansers (the small Palmolive ones with snap shut tops are my favourite - less easy to spill!) I always carry one now - I like to clean my hands very frequently during a dance night, simply cos I've been touching so many people's hands, who have been touching so many hands, that are used for many many things . . . I do like to offer a new dance partner an acceptably clean hand!

I also like to carry those new wafer thin melt on the tongue mints - unlike Smints, they don't rattle, and unlike Polos, they don't look like I'm carrying a gun
:rofl:
Driers, shared towels, as well as the handles of the doors of loos, I agree, spread so many germs and I like to touch them as little as possible
:really:
Men (at least some men) however, can go for a pee without spilling any trace of urine on their hands (without going into too much detail) and that part of their anatomy, especially if they've showered before coming out and then covered it up with clothes, should be much cleaner than the rest of their body (at least mine is - and yes, I often wash before going to the loo!)
:devil:
I liked Fran's idea of a humorous sign in the loos though. They have signs in restaurant staff washplaces - why not in other loos?? There was a humorous story a school caretaker once told me about how he disuaded school girls from covering the washroom mirrors with lipstick kisses . . . (fortunately it is too naughty for me to remember :devil: )

Having said all this stuff in favour of cleanliness, I'm sure someone will have an embarassing memory of me doing something unmentionable like excavating my nose at a stop light, and so my apologies if I danced with you before the lights changed LOL

Dreadful Scathe
10th-October-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by Chris

Men (at least some men) however, can go for a pee without spilling any trace of urine on their hands (without going into too much detail)

exactly how much more detail could you have gone into :D

frodo
10th-October-2003, 11:42 PM
Like Chicklet, I'm a fan of the little bottles of waterless hand cleansers (the small Palmolive ones with snap shut tops are my favourite - less easy to spill!)

A snap top sounds useful. Any pointers on who might stock them.

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2003, 09:18 AM
I loved Andy's post about a dance bag checklist - makes me feel I'm not the only obsessive one! Anybody else got lists of useful things to add?

I'm glad you enjoyed the list. I've just checked in my bag as I wrote my list from memory while I was at work. I missed out the corkscrew, bottle opener and safety pins in my first list.

Also, I was talking about the smell of synthetic dance trainers with Plankton recently. He tells me he thinks the problem is partly caused by storing them in a bag. He takes them out and lets them dry nicely. Mine got so smelly I took them out and stored them in the shed :sick:

Anyway, they're not really camp enough for me...

Like Chicklet, I'm a fan of the little bottles of waterless hand cleansers (the small Palmolive ones with snap shut tops are my favourite - less easy to spill!) I always carry one now - I like to clean my hands very frequently during a dance night, simply cos I've been touching so many people's hands, who have been touching so many hands, that are used for many many things . . . I do like to offer a new dance partner an acceptably clean hand!

Are those waterless hand cleansers what makes some of my partners hands feel greasy and slippery? I'd always assumed it was some kind of moisturiser. Whatever it is it makes it difficult to maintain a proper connection between me and my partner - and some of it transfers to my own hands and makes the next partner a bit slippery too:what:

I used to carry 'Handy Andy' size packets of miost wipes with a resealable flap to keep them moist. I'm not sure why I stopped as they freshened my hands up and helped cool my fevered brow. I got them from the toiletries section in Tesco. I think I'll get some more - if I can find room for them in my bag:wink:

Cerocfan
11th-October-2003, 10:02 AM
So glad the smell problem is being aired so to speak.
There is one guy who always smells bad but I didn't realise it transferred itself to me till one night when I went outside to phone after dancing with him. The smell that arose from my arms was horrible - & definitely not mine, I always shower before dancing. I now always wash my arms in the ladies afterwards if I can't avoid him. I find it too difficult to say an outright 'No' to him, so just try to not catch his eye, but it doesn't always work

ChrisA
11th-October-2003, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Cerocfan
I find it too difficult to say an outright 'No' to him, so just try to not catch his eye, but it doesn't always work
Avoidance of the problem only perpetuates it unfortunately.

I was dancing with someone a few nights ago, and she suddenly said "what's that on your trousers?"

I looked down, and to my horror there was this large whitish mark in the most embarrassing place possible... fortunately it must have been dust or chalk or something like that cos it brushed off very easily, so moments later my dignity was restored.

I was SO grateful to her for pointing it out, and said so - heaven knows how long it had been like that.

I know it's much harder to tell people that they smell bad - there's no nice way to do it - but it really should be done. A bloke that cares will be mortified, but immensely grateful to know, cos he can then do something about it.

A bloke that doesn't care.. well, in all honesty it doesn't matter what he thinks:really:

Chris

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2003, 01:21 PM
I know it's much harder to tell people that they smell bad - there's no nice way to do it - but it really should be done. A bloke that cares will be mortified, but immensely grateful to know, cos he can then do something about it. Chris

I think that it is up to the organiser or venue owner to break the news to smelly people. If people bring an aroma problem to the attention of the organiser they are well placed to take a person to one side and say 'You're not going to like hearing this but I've noticed that you've got a problem with body odour. I thought I'd point it out to you so you can do something about it. You seem a nice person/ok dancer/very attractive but people will probably start avoiding you if you don't do something'.

We had a guy dancing in Brighton who the girls actually called 'Smelly Adam' - although not to his face (I've changed the name, just in case he reads this, although he's no longer in the country). I used to try to dance well away from him so people didn't think it was me. After a few people had spoken to Graham he plucked up the courage to talk to 'Adam', who was obviously mortified - I'm sure he'd have been suicidal if he'd known about the nickname. He was a great dancer too - he even won a dance contest. But I think it was after he'd been given his talk.

The point I'm making with the above example is that there is a danger in leaving this talk too long. Imagine if you find out that you've been smelly for the last year. Wouldn't you prefer to hear the news sooner rather than later?

Maybe literature for the venue could invite dancers to approach the venue manager and point out smelly people they'd like to receive 'the talk'. Or they could announce it after the lesson. I suppose this could equally apply to creeps, stalkers, dangerous dancers, etc. We, as dancers are paying guests, it's not up to us to take our lives in our hands by complaining to other dancers about their smell or behaviour when there's an organiser who can do it for us.

And yes, CerocFan, I've noticed that the BO smell seems to be contagious. I suppose the reassuring thing is that we probably haven't got BO because if we had we wouldn't be able to detect the BO of our partner:devil:

ChrisA
11th-October-2003, 01:54 PM
.. it is up to the organiser or venue owner to break the news to smelly people. If people bring an aroma problem to the attention of the organiser they are well placed to take a person to one side and

Well, this certainly saves face to some extent, and avoids the victim having to go through the excruciating "do I say/don't I say/have I got the guts to say/how do I say it nicely" mental preamble.

It seems a little hit and miss, though. The victim has to remember to speak to the manager, the manager has to then remember (amidst everything else that's going on) to find the smeller, and find an appropriate time/place to confront him. If he can't, or forgets in the melee, another week goes by, many more dancers have to suffer, and the poor smeller remains in ignorance.

Personally I would rather take the hit from the victim if I was ever in need of "the talk" - I would get (a) the information I needed soonest, and (b) the opportunity to apologise profusely and sincerely to the lovely lady on whom I've inflicted something horrible.

We had a guy dancing in Brighton who the girls actually called 'Smelly Adam' - although not to his face

IMHO this is despicable. Obviously a situation that persisted for some time, with the girls preferring to make snide comments behind someone's back rather than help them. Inexcusable.

Imagine if you find out that you've been smelly for the last year. Wouldn't you prefer to hear the news sooner rather than later?

Very much so, which is why I'd rather hear immediately rather than second hand. Hopefully that way I could do something about it immediately rather than let the problem build up and become a pariah.

Chris

Boomer
11th-October-2003, 02:22 PM

...I'd rather hear immediately rather than second hand. Hopefully that way I could do something about it immediately rather than let the problem build up and become a pariah.
Chris
I will agree with this – unfortunately from an experience that I’m still uncomfortable with 16 years on. It was only after the ‘office-wag’ mentioned my odour at work that I actually realised that missing the morning’s shower was a mistake. It was only when the odour was mention that I became aware of it. There is no painless way to deal with this issue, even if the wag had been a bit more sensitive to the delicate emotions/sensibilities of a 16 y/o, it would still have felt like a punch in the gut. However, the effect was immediate, long-term and did me the world of good.

It is, for a host of reasons, a difficult situation to deal with, but a situation where ignorance is not bliss – for either party.

As for the minority of dancers who are aware of their own disagreeable odour, but who choose to do nothing about it, that is their problem – they can reflect on the pitfalls of anti-social behaviour while sitting-out the next dance.

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2003, 02:43 PM
Well, this certainly saves face to some extent, and avoids the victim having to go through the excruciating "do I say/don't I say/have I got the guts to say/how do I say it nicely" mental preamble.

It seems a little hit and miss, though. The victim has to remember to speak to the manager, the manager has to then remember (amidst everything else that's going on) to find the smeller, and find an appropriate time/place to confront him. If he can't, or forgets in the melee, another week goes by, many more dancers have to suffer, and the poor smeller remains in ignorance.

Personally I would rather take the hit from the victim if I was ever in need of "the talk" - I would get (a) the information I needed soonest, and (b) the opportunity to apologise profusely and sincerely to the lovely lady on whom I've inflicted something horrible.Chris

I'm with you Chris. I've even spoken to a few guys about their BO. But some people are afraid to do it for many reasons. After all, if it was that easy to tell someone they were a bit niffy people would get given the news straight away. But most people aren't that brave so an alternative needs to be found. And I'm suggesting that the organiser is the obvious choice because his business depends on it. After all, if only two people go somewhere else because they don't want to dance with a stinky partner the organiser has lost £6 a week - they'd be better off talking to the smelly person and risking them not coming back.

ChrisA
11th-October-2003, 02:51 PM
I will agree with this – unfortunately from an experience that I’m still uncomfortable with 16 years on..{snip}...However, the effect was immediate, long-term and did me the world of good.

Good on you mate - for having the guts to say this.:cheers:

I had a problem with one of my teeth once, some years ago before I took up jive, which blew up suddenly, and apparently the effect was r e a l l y unpleasant for those around me.

Fortunately I was told - I was _completely_ unaware of it and I was utterly shocked, and of course mortified to discover that I'd been blasting dog-breath at people for a day or so. So shocked was I, that my initial (but mercifully brief) reaction was denial.

Anyway, I got it sorted, and all was well. But despite the embarrassment and shame, I _was_ glad to know.

Chris

ChrisA
11th-October-2003, 02:58 PM
But most people aren't that brave so an alternative needs to be found. And I'm suggesting that the organiser is the obvious choice because his business depends on it.
I do take your point - and I agree that talking to the venue organiser is a lot better than nothing - and infinitely preferable to any kind of the snide nastiness of the type you alluded to.

But people should have a bit more guts, too :really:

Chris (making mental note to say something (kindly) next time to an individual I have now smelled on two separate occasions. I reckon I can take him if he gets nasty :))

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2003, 03:04 PM
Chris (making mental note to say something (kindly) next time to an individual I have now smelled on two separate occasions. I reckon I can take him if he gets nasty :))

Let me know when this will be. I'll stand right behind you with a can of Mace - or maybe an aerosol of Right Guard:devil:

Chris
11th-October-2003, 05:12 PM
Are those waterless hand cleansers what makes some of my partners hands feel greasy and slippery? I'd always assumed it was some kind of moisturiser.

I used to carry 'Handy Andy' size packets of miost wipes with a resealable flap to keep them moist. I'm not sure why I stopped as they freshened my hands up and helped cool my fevered brow. I got them from the toiletries section in Tesco. I think I'll get some more - if I can find room for them in my bag:wink:

I think you're ok with most waterless hand cleansers. I like moist wipes as well, which seem to work in a similar way, and are great. I got two lots with a free voucher in boots recently - a re-sealable large pack and a box of individual foil wrapped ones (which I liked as they didn't take up so much room ).:wink:

They do leave a slightly 'girlie' smell for a moment or two though :blush: so it's usually on with the aftershave as soon as I've used one! :innocent:

Andy McGregor
11th-October-2003, 05:25 PM
They do leave a slightly 'girlie' smell for a moment or two though :blush: so it's usually on with the aftershave as soon as I've used one! :innocent:

Are you saying there's something wrong with smelling a bit girlie:confused: :yum: :waycool: :devil:

Chris
13th-October-2003, 12:39 PM
Are you saying there's something wrong with smelling a bit girlie:confused: :yum: :waycool: :devil:

Not at all - probably personal inhibitions or wanting to smell nice for the girlies (as opposed to smelling the girlies which can also be very nice of course
:yum: :waycool: :devil: )

Probably one of the few things you can do in this country and be safely 'macho' smelling 'girlie' - have you seen the Japanese-made movie 'Shall We Dance'? Wife gets private detective after husband comes home regularly smelling of two different perfumes on three different nights (detective takes wife to see hubby's secret hobby when he is performing at championships lol - all ends as well as hubby admits he dances and wife takes it up too)
:innocent:

Andy McGregor
13th-October-2003, 03:49 PM
Probably one of the few things you can do in this country and be safely 'macho' smelling 'girlie' - have you seen the Japanese-made movie 'Shall We Dance'? Wife gets private detective after husband comes home regularly smelling of two different perfumes on three different nights (detective takes wife to see hubby's secret hobby when he is performing at championships lol - all ends as well as hubby admits he dances and wife takes it up too)
:innocent:

I'm getting scared now. Does this mean my wife can smell the different women I've danced with:what:

What's more worryng is that she might be able to smell when I've danced with The Tramp:wink:

Sheepman
13th-October-2003, 05:17 PM
- have you seen the Japanese-made movie 'Shall We Dance'? A fab film, but how easy is it to get hold of?

Greg

Chris
13th-October-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
A fab film, but how easy is it to get hold of?

Greg

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/6304798466/internetmoviedat/104-1516462-1709517

Sheepman
14th-October-2003, 12:24 PM
I'll have to decide if I can be bothreed with the International Shipping for it.

G

thewacko
14th-October-2003, 12:35 PM
:sad:
as a Taxi Dancer I find myself having to give a short spout about personal hygene before every class, and yet i also find that some people do not get the hint no matter how subtle I am

:devil: and beleive me being a northerner i am not very subtle:wink:

there are still men who wish to ignore the subject.

I once even took my ceroc bag upstairs to the taxi class and emptied its contents onto a table showing a towel, upteen teeshirts and plenty of deoderant trying to convince people that they should at least try and be clean due to the closeness of bodies during the dance activity. and i must admit I think I get through to some but there are still those who tend to ignore it:sorry

whilst on the subject - perhaps others who do wash there hands ought to also whatch what they eat prior to coming to ceroc as it is almost as unpleasent to smell some peoples breath, but as a smoker I am not getting into that bit before it starts going bonkers like another thread I subscribe to:tears:

Heather
21st-October-2003, 11:11 AM
:D :D Just back from the Scottish Ceroc Champs at the weekend. Lots of wonderful dances with lots of lovely men.
Strangely, I have developed a poisoned index finger, which now looks like a thick pork sausage and had to be lanced three times at the doctors surgery yesterday!!!
Come on, own up , who didn't wash their hands before dancing with me!!!!!!:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:hug: :kiss:
Heather.

thewacko
23rd-October-2003, 01:00 PM
I'm not sure I can agree with this, though I understand the sentiment. I have been in a situation where I was dancing with a beginner who smelt bad, and who had hands so unpleasantly sweaty that I rushed to the loo afterwards to wash.. but this guy clearly had special needs, and to refuse him as a beginner who had even more than the usual problems with confidence that most beginners have would be plain cruel. However I confess I spoke to the taxi dancers and asked them to give their normal 'look what I carry in my bag - towel, deoderant, spare shirt' speech a little more emphasis in the follwing weeks....

and I still do em xxx

Phil

Ste
7th-January-2004, 11:33 PM
i have noticed that some blokes, when they go to the loo on a Ceroc night do not actually wash their hands before they go back out for ( I presume ) more turns and returns. Eeek!

What are the views of the males on this forum and what is the female perspective.

Is it essential that we wash our hands?

fruitcake
8th-January-2004, 12:19 AM
:sick:
I suppose some women do it too, which is worst?Yuk!Means the germs are getting spread around all over the place,then taken home to the family at the end!
Only good advice I would give is wash your hands before you eat, run your fingers through your hair or pick the nuts/crisps out of your teeth,because there will always be someone who hasnt washed their hands, also I may add, washing with water doesnt do an awful lot, ya need SOAP too!
We could put special ultra violet lights on the floor that light up bacteria ridden areas(??), that would sent the offenders dashing off to the loos, or hidden cameras?
Being a nursie, I am fastidious about handwashing, which means I am sometimes reluctant to eat communally prepared food, but you gotta draw the line somewhere and not be paranoid, unless typhoid or dysentry is about we should all be ok methinks!
Fruity:really:

Gary
8th-January-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Ste
i have noticed that some blokes, when they go to the loo on a Ceroc night do not actually wash their hands before they go back out for ( I presume ) more turns and returns. Eeek!

What are the views of the males on this forum and what is the female perspective.

Is it essential that we wash our hands?

I've noticed it too, and I'm horrified, and yes it's essential. (Oh, and I'm male).

I've read somewhere that drying the hands properly is also very important for hygiene.

I think this has already been discussed in another thread somewhere?

Heather
8th-January-2004, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by Gary
I've noticed it too, and I'm horrified, and yes it's essential. (Oh, and I'm male).

I've read somewhere that drying the hands properly is also very important for hygiene.

You are correct. It has been discussed in another thread somewhere, perhaps one of the Forum moderators could join these threads together??
I agree too that drying hands properly is important for hygiene, that's why I absolutely HATE with a vengeance, those horrible electric 'hand dryers'. Paper towels are far more hygienic, but probably more expensive!!
Germs still linger on wet hands even when they have been washed, I know this from bitter experience, having contracted dysentery whilst teaching in a primary school, the children all washed their hands, just didn't dry them properly!!!
It was a most horrendous experience, I was off work and not allowed to return for several weeks until the local health authority gave me the all clear!!

:hug:
Heather,
X

stewart38
8th-January-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Gary

I'm more concerned with sweaty hands of the female and warts or what ever else they may have (doesn't happen too often)

I'm talking about excessive sweat on the female hands :yum: :mad:

stewart38
8th-January-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Heather
I agree too that drying hands properly is important for hygiene, that's why I absolutely HATE with a vengeance, those horrible electric 'hand dryers'. Paper towels are far more hygienic, but probably more expensive!!

:hug:
Heather,
X

I always thought it was environmentally more sensitive to use hand dryers which are better at drying your hands then paper towels (I find that anyway)

I heard though you would have to get through a lot of paper towels to equal the 'damage' a hand dryer does to the environment

Perhaps its best and most environmentally friendly that us blokes and ladies just dry our hands on the girls/blokes back when we next dance after going to the loo, just an idea ?

Lynn
8th-January-2004, 01:52 PM
Just a comment on the ‘waterless wipes’ and gel that you can get. Great idea to have some but better to use them only at times when there is no actual soap and water available at all. I have used them a lot when in places like rural West Africa, especially before eating, and they are very drying to your skin (a lot more so than soap) so you need to make sure you moisturise later (though not immediately after as would give you slippy hands when dancing :what: )

I wash my hands but then usually try to avoid touching the door handle on the way out as even in the ladies there are some who don’t wash their hands…:really:

Jon L
8th-January-2004, 06:52 PM
Unfortunately modern jive is a contact event, and hands will always come into contact with someone elses so soap and hot air dryers are a must as has been said unless you want us dancing wearing sterile plastic gloves :what:

However one thing I would recommend all people to carry in the kits into venues is a small box of plasters, and possibly a savlon dry antisceptic spray (which is a small can)

This is because I have been slashed accidently twice. Once was across the ear by a women with sharp nails, and the other was on my forearm :tears: both drew blood and inthe second case the scar was there for months.

Out of interest I get far less colds then I used to and I wonder if it is because coming into contact with thousands of different people on the floor means that bugs are shared amoungst us and we become imune to them ?

horsey_dude
8th-January-2004, 07:14 PM
I will agree with this – unfortunately from an experience that I’m still uncomfortable with 16 years on. It was only after the ‘office-wag’ mentioned my odour at work that I actually realised that missing the morning’s shower was a mistake. It was only when the odour was mention that I became aware of it. There is no painless way to deal with this issue, even if the wag had been a bit more sensitive to the delicate emotions/sensibilities of a 16 y/o, it would still have felt like a punch in the gut. However, the effect was immediate, long-term and did me the world of good.

It is, for a host of reasons, a difficult situation to deal with, but a situation where ignorance is not bliss – for either party.

As for the minority of dancers who are aware of their own disagreeable odour, but who choose to do nothing about it, that is their problem – they can reflect on the pitfalls of anti-social behaviour while sitting-out the next dance.

I agree that it is not easy to hear but you are better off knowing. When I had my wisdom teeth out, the dentist put some foul tasting stuff in where the teeth had been and I went back to work a couple off days later. I could taste this incredibly horrible taste in my mouth sometimes when I was eating and had a temperature but I assumed I was just getting over the very difficult extraction. It wasn't until I was in the lift with a co-worker (who happened to be my sister) and she was covering her mouth with her hand and turning away from me that I realised there was a problem. It turned out that people were just about gagging from the smell but no one had said anything. I went to the doctor and dentist and got antibiotics but I was really surprised that no one had told me sooner.

I guess most people just don't want to hurt other people feelings.

I still think the best bet is to shower and brush your teeth before going to class. At least that way if you have a problem it will be minimised.

Andy McGregor
8th-January-2004, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by horsey_dude
It turned out that people were just about gagging from the smell but no one had said anything. I went to the doctor and dentist and got antibiotics but I was really surprised that no one had told me sooner.

I guess most people just don't want to hurt other people feelings.

I take the opposite view. I think people would want to know straight away. I had exactly the same situation with a boss I had years ago. He had his wisdom teeth out and he returned to work with 'ray-gun halitosis' as a Newcastle colleague called it. Anyway, I told my boss as soon as I could get him alone. He was, of course, very grateful.

I have told quite a few dancers when they've got body odour problems. But only if I've noticed it twice and I've never needed to tell a woman:waycool:

p.s. I always take my own towel to finish drying my hands as I can't waste good dancing time waiting for the hot-air dryer to work.

stewart38
9th-January-2004, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by Jon L

However one thing I would recommend all people to carry in the kits into venues is a small box of plasters, and possibly a savlon dry antisceptic spray (which is a small can)

So if we also take six changes of tea shirts a towel we only need a bucket and spade and we would be there !

Seriously sharp nails from the ladies can be a problem particulary when they hold on too tight

Bardsey
9th-January-2004, 12:27 PM

I also like to carry those new wafer thin melt on the tongue mints -

Where do you buy those waterless hand cleansers from and what are they called? I just use baby wipes, but your stuff sounds much better.

I also use the wafer thin melts, very good and also discreet.

I must admit that on a dance night (which is about 4 nights a week now) if I bother to eat at all before I go, I avoid anything which contains garlic or strong spices. Unfortunately some people don't and when they breath into your face it can be quite unpleasant. I usually let them know by laughing and asking "so what did you have with your garlic tonight then?"

Bardsey
9th-January-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Forte

Jackie, I sent you a PM. Have you seen it yet?

Jill

CJ
9th-January-2004, 03:38 PM
Urine is sterile, anyway. So...

don't waste time: just **** on your hands, then wipe on jumper on way back to dancefloor. Nice clean hands and LOTS of dances.

Doh!

Lynn
9th-January-2004, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Bardsey
Where do you buy those waterless hand cleansers from and what are they called?
Boots usually have them. There are 'Wet ones' (I think that's what they are called!) - royal blue packet, resealable wipes, also come in antibacterial. Quite nice smell (not as much like 'talc' as baby wipes!). There are also gels, like the Palmolive one Chris mentioned. They have a higher alcohol (?) content to make them dry instantly on your skin, but that also means they make your skin dry so you need to moisture later. I prefer to use the wipes myself as the gel makes my skin too dry.

Bardsey
9th-January-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Lynn
Boots usually have them. There are 'Wet ones'

Tanks for that, Lynn. I have some of the Wet Ones, I just hadn't heard of the liquid one.

Gadget
9th-January-2004, 04:50 PM
You know what would be a good idea; a bowl of mints on the desk where you 'sign in'. Like resteraunts have at the pay desk.

Aleks
9th-January-2004, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Gadget
You know what would be a good idea; a bowl of mints on the desk where you 'sign in'. Like resteraunts have at the pay desk.

Preferably in wrappers in case someone hadn't recently washed their hands!

CJ's right anyway - it's sterile so no need to worry about bacteria although I still would rather not have other people's on my hands.

Rachel
9th-January-2004, 04:58 PM

Oh, so that's it - when Bardsey used the word 'discreet', I thought we were talking about panty liners.
R.

Emma
9th-January-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Rachel
Oh, so that's it - when Bardsey used the word 'discreet', I thought we were talking about panty liners.
R. :rofl: :rofl:

I was wondering how they helped keep her hands dry!

Bardsey
9th-January-2004, 05:05 PM
:rofl: :rofl:

I was wondering how they helped keep her hands dry!

You just peel the backing off and stick them to your palms.....:rofl:

Sheepman
9th-January-2004, 05:15 PM
You just peel the backing off and stick them to your palms.....:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Or to your forehead, if you're a Clingon!

Greg

Andy McGregor
12th-January-2004, 06:17 AM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
Urine is sterile, anyway. So...

don't waste time: just **** on your hands, then wipe on jumper on way back to dancefloor. Nice clean hands and LOTS of dances.

Doh!

Of course, Ceroc Jock may have sterile urine due to the high levels of radiation in his boxers:wink:

But I'm afraid to break the news that the rest of us have urine that is anything but sterile:sick:

It is a huge effort just to get urine that contains only the germs growing in the urinary tract here (http://health.ucsd.edu/labref/P461.html) is a description of the lengths people go to to get that 'interesting' sample.

And what is CJ doing wearing a jumper on the dance floor, doesn't he get hot?

Note to self - Break into CJs house and burn all his jumpers before a new species evolves in them

Bardsey
12th-January-2004, 01:57 PM
It is a huge effort just to get urine that contains only the germs growing in the urinary tract here (http://health.ucsd.edu/labref/P461.html) is a description of the lengths people go to to get that 'interesting' sample.

Just looked at your link..... URGH! Gross!!!! :blush:

Pammy
12th-January-2004, 02:33 PM
URGH! Gross!!!! :blush:

Andy or the link? :wink:

Aleks
12th-January-2004, 02:46 PM
Of course, Ceroc Jock may have sterile urine due to the high levels of radiation in his boxers:wink:

But I'm afraid to break the news that the rest of us have urine that is anything but sterile:sick:

And what is CJ doing wearing a jumper on the dance floor, doesn't he get hot?

Note to self - Break into CJs house and burn all his jumpers before a new species evolves in them

So the urine IS sterile - we just harvest bacteria when we wipe/touch in that area?

Andy McGregor
12th-January-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
So the urine IS sterile - we just harvest bacteria when we wipe/touch in that area?

Only for guys like CJ who carry uranium in their sporran!

CJ
12th-January-2004, 03:55 PM
Only for guys like CJ who carry uranium in their sporran!

I refute that comment. Andy's anium has been nowhere NEAR my sporran. No-one else's either come to think of it!!:D

Andy McGregor
12th-January-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Ceroc Jock
I refute that comment. Andy's anium has been nowhere NEAR my sporran. No-one else's either come to think of it!!:D

That's probably why it's sterile:devil:

Dance Demon
12th-January-2004, 04:19 PM

We have done this at R66 for quite a while now, after someone requested mints instead of chocolates. The mints proved very popular:D

frodo
12th-January-2004, 11:05 PM
Just a comment on the ‘waterless wipes’ and gel that you can get. Great idea to have some but better to use them only at times when there is no actual soap and water available at all. I have used them a lot when in places like rural West Africa, especially before eating, and they are very drying to your skin (a lot more so than soap) so you need to make sure you moisturise later (though not immediately after as would give you slippy hands when dancing ...
Where do you buy those waterless hand cleansers from and what are they called? I just use baby wipes, but your stuff sounds much better. ...
Boots usually have them. There are 'Wet ones' (I think that's what they are called!) - royal blue packet, resealable wipes, also come in antibacterial. Quite nice smell (not as much like 'talc' as baby wipes!). There are also gels, like the Palmolive one Chris mentioned. They have a higher alcohol (?) content to make them dry instantly on your skin, but that also means they make your skin dry so you need to moisture later. I prefer to use the wipes myself as the gel makes my skin too dry.

After the original post Chris made, and from his information that Boots was a good place to try, I asked there.

Never did find the Palmolive ones, but they (eventually) pointed me to 100 ml bottles of a hand cleansing gel branded 'Cuticura' which says on the bottle 'With Moisturisers'.

They were under half the price of the stuff from outdoor stores, and have a snap top, so was quite pleased about that.

If you could get 'Wet Ones' (or another brand) individually wrapped would go for them. Carrying a few sachets would be much more convenient than having to carry a whole resealable pack (which may also be fiddly to keep sealed properly).

Tiggerbabe
12th-January-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by frodo
If you could get 'Wet Ones' (or another brand) individually wrapped would go for them. Carrying a few sachets would be much more convenient than having to carry a whole resealable pack (which may also be fiddly to keep sealed properly).
You do get small packets of about 10 (which are usually found beside all of the holiday toiletries) - they're about the same size as a packet of paper hankies. Superdrug have them as well as Boots - although I'd guess your smaller, local chemist would stock them too.

MartinHarper
19th-November-2004, 04:03 PM
I think my 'Urban Myth' detector has just gone off - I heard the same story with mint imperials in restaurants!

Yeah, me too - so I checked on snopes:

http://www.snopes.com/food/tainted/mints.htm

philsmove
24th-February-2005, 07:25 PM
http://www.comeclean.com/

Lory
24th-February-2005, 07:51 PM
http://www.comeclean.com/
Weird :what:

I'm wondering what the person did to the Giraffe :confused: Maybe it's better I don't know? :sick: :eek: