PDA

View Full Version : BBC iPlayer / 4OD "backups"

Beowulf
18th-January-2008, 09:39 PM
A theoretical question here.. (honest guv !)

Anyone know of an easy way to.. erm.. "backup" downloaded TV series from the likes of Channel 4's 4OD service or BBC's iPlayer ? There was a package I used a while back that used screen capture on an area of the screen but it wasn't very good.

It's just that I can download these series no problem.. uber fast broadband here.. but other friends and family can't and I'd like to be able to offer them the "occasional" episode.

I'm really not talking about wholesale ripping off of series here.. if I like a series that much I'll buy the DVD as Downloaded / Recorded off TV isn't that great a quality. But I like to watch a series before I decide if it's worth purchasing for repeated viewing.

Beowulf
18th-January-2008, 10:36 PM
Am giving this a try - CamStudio - Desktop Screen Recorder (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131922) hopefully it'll work.. unless osmeone knows of something better.

Beowulf
19th-January-2008, 12:53 AM
hopefully it'll work

It doesn't work.. :( :tears:

i get sound.. but no picture. it's like it's recording a blank screen.. yet if I move the mouse over where it's supposed to be recording I see the mouse.. very odd

ducasi
19th-January-2008, 11:39 AM
It doesn't work.. :( :tears:

i get sound.. but no picture. it's like it's recording a blank screen.. yet if I move the mouse over where it's supposed to be recording I see the mouse.. very odd
Probably because the video is added to your display on its way from the display buffer which your program is taking snap-shots from.

The Flash-based iPlayer is more likely to be hackable. (I say this purely from an academic point of view, of course.)