PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft spoofs

Sheepman
1st-October-2003, 12:45 PM
This doesn't feel like the appropriate place to discuss computer problems, but I am amazed, and publicity is required.

The PC virus that seems to be rampant at the moment is the Microsoft Security Update spoof. Based on the number of infected emails I've been getting, this must be 20 times more virulent than any previous virus/worm. People are talking about it in pubs, dance venues, etc. so why on earth haven't the media picked up on this one. Surely it's at least as interesting (?) as the party conferences?

My up to date virus software has no trouble in dealing with it (I'm not advertising which one it is here). But I've heard of plenty of people having loads of trouble because of this. The usual advice applies, Don't open the attachments .

This comes with headings such as:-

Latest Network Security Upgrade
Last Security Patch
Internet Critical Patch
Latest Internet Upgrade

This is what Microsoft say about it:-

How to tell if a Microsoft security email is genuine (http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/authenticate_mail.asp)

Greg

Dreadful Scathe
1st-October-2003, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
This doesn't feel like the appropriate place to discuss computer problems, but I am amazed, and publicity is required.this is the chit-chat section so its quite appropriate. :)
The PC virus that seems to be rampant at the moment is the Microsoft Security Update spoof. Based on the number of infected emails I've been getting, this must be 20 times more virulent than any previous virus/worm. People are talking about it in pubs, dance venues, etc. so why on earth haven't the media picked up on this one. They have, i saw a couple of articles on it, fairly small ones mind you. It was much more widely reported in the IT press of course, theregister.co.uk has lots of info on it.
My up to date virus software has no trouble in dealing with it (I'm not advertising which one it is here). But I've heard of plenty of people having loads of trouble because of this. The usual advice applies, Don't open the attachments .Im happy to advertise AVG go to www.grisoft.com and download the free version - you also get free updates. No need to pay for a virus killer.

As you say though - no one should ever open attachments they are not specifically expecting without virus checking the contents first. (Install AVG and you get a 'scan with avg' option when you right click on files and directories). Course if you dont use windows you're much less likely to get viruses. If you dont use Outlook (a shocking piece of software..boo..hiss..) then you have even less. If you must use Outlook, switch off preview mode.

Ill now leave it open for Franck and Azande to advertise Macs :).

Can i also offer free advice and virus killing services if anyone has problems :).

azande
1st-October-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Ill now leave it open for Franck and Azande to advertise Macs :).No thanks, I'm just going to :rofl: while you deal with viruses! :waycool: :wink:

Boomer
1st-October-2003, 02:46 PM
t

Can i also offer free advice and virus killing services if anyone has problems :).

Hiya DS, hope the answer to your question is yes...coz I have a qusetion. It's not about killing viruses, but email progs. Everyone says Outlook is...naff... any suggetions on what I can use instead?:cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
2nd-October-2003, 09:37 AM
Personally Ive used Pegasus for years go here to get a list (http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=free+mail&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%21+) of email programs from download.com - Pegusus is 2nd on the list and totally free.

If you like the look and feel of Outlook though, a better bet may be Eudora (do a search in the box on the page above) but I dont think theres a free version of that anymore. I think it sucks anyway :).

Most people need a simple program that reads mail, handles attachments and stores addresses and theres literally hundreds of programs that do that. In fact if you have Netscape Navigator or Opera (currently the best browser going) you get email programs with them too.

Outlook and Outlook Express - just say NO!

Its also worth mentioning web based email. talk21.com is very good, ive had an account there for 4 years or so and dont think ive ever had any spam that i can remember - so a tad better than hotmail you might say (admitedly spammers target hotmail because of the number of users).

Also for the first few interested parties - i can offer yourname@planetscathe.com as a webmail address - it has a nice interface too ;)

TheTramp
2nd-October-2003, 04:04 PM
Also for the first few interested parties - i can offer yourname@planetscathe.com as a webmail address - it has a nice interface too ;) Heh....

Just to add to that, if anyone fancies anythingyoulike@JustABeginner.com then I could do that too

:rolleyes:

Steve

Lindsay
2nd-October-2003, 04:35 PM
Personally Ive used Pegasus for years go here to get a list (http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=free+mail&tg=dl-2001&search=+Go%21+) of email programs from download.com - Pegusus is 2nd on the list and totally free.

Is Pegasus just like Outlook Express?

What about MS Outlook.... is that anymore virus-proof?

Boomer
3rd-October-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Lindsay
Is Pegasus just like Outlook Express?

What about MS Outlook.... is that anymore virus-proof?

So far it seems to do what Outlook does, but still getting the hang of it. DS, sorry to bother you mata, but a quick question if possible - any idea why I can't see graphiocs in received emails? Example, I subscribe to Garfield (the only cat I like) but can't actually see the strip when I open the email:tears: I'm not stoopid but I can't figure this one out.

Cheers mate:cheers:

Boomer
3rd-October-2003, 10:01 AM
Cheers for Opera, lovely piece of kit:cheers: :cheers:

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-October-2003, 10:40 AM
more reason not to use microsoft products HERE (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/33187.html)

Outlook is the big version of Outlook Express. OE is free and not as powerful, Outlook comes with server and office software i believe. I believe they both have pretty much the same vulnerabilities as far as viruses go.

Pegasus looks 'ugly' to a lot of people but it is just another email program. Theres no doubt Outlook and OE have nicer graphics, it depends if you think thats more importatn really :).

As for viewing graphics - this is entirely down to what you've told windows to do with your files i.e. if GIF files open in Internet Explorer its because it was a default or at some point you told windows to use that. So if theres a problem with files opening its generally because they are being told with something you dont have anymore. To fix this, find a file of the same type - right click on it (you may have to hold down SHIFT first) and select OPEN WITH and select the program you want to open it with.