PDA

View Full Version : The Sway

gebandemuishond
28th-December-2007, 11:11 PM
Has anyone got any tips for how to do a nice Sway?

I think that all too often I (and most other dancers I see) get into the "leader and follower facing in the same direction" position, then take a tiny, shuffling step back, step in again, exit etc. When I remember, I try to make the step back a bit bigger so there's more of a "sway" to it, but then I get the feeling our upper bodies are a bit too far over our feet, sort of lopsided.

Also, I've been thinking about the possibilities of going into a mambo from a sway, although havn't tried it yet. Does this/ would this work?

Cheers

Dan

MartinHarper
29th-December-2007, 02:12 PM
When I remember, I try to make the step back a bit bigger so there's more of a "sway" to it, but then I get the feeling our upper bodies are a bit too far over our feet, sort of lopsided.

Try using your left arms to emphasise the movement, rather than taking a bigger step.

kiwi_clay
29th-December-2007, 02:21 PM

I think that all too often I (and most other dancers I see) get into the "leader and follower facing in the same direction" position, then take a tiny, shuffling step back, step in again, exit etc. When I remember, I try to make the step back a bit bigger so there's more of a "sway" to it, but then I get the feeling our upper bodies are a bit too far over our feet, sort of lopsided.

Also, I've been thinking about the possibilities of going into a mambo from a sway, although havn't tried it yet. Does this/ would this work?

Cheers

Dan

Try taking a step back on your right instead of left and emphasize your body twist, You can also do a stylish lunge from this position..Hope this helps, also a good place to be on the same foot as the follow for a whole heap of same footed moves!
Another nice variation done by clinton over here is to take an exagerated step back on the outside foot, then slide the inside foot back to meet...done well (*I don't*) lloks fab

Steven666
29th-December-2007, 03:23 PM
I don't really think about it really but I can show you how to get into a mambo from it next time I see you. It's a bit difficult to describe.

David Bailey
29th-December-2007, 05:35 PM
One tip, from a class Amir did, is that the right-hand hold may be uncomfortable for the lady, because you're bending her wrist - so either have a loose hold, or just place your right hand gently on top of hers.

From the basic sway position, there's nothing to stop you from doing, well, anything really - forward walks, back walks, walkarounds, and so on. In theory, one could even lead something like an ocho from that position. The world's your lobster :)

What, from the exit? Or from the sway hold itself?

Andy McGregor
29th-December-2007, 05:43 PM
My advice is to lead the sway from a guy's left lady's right hand hold. Draw the lady forward by pulling gently towards your hip and then guide/throw the lady's hand to your right to turn her through 180 degrees. As she comes around to face the same way as you collect her far hip with your right hand and use that hand on the hip to guide the back step. This leaves both the lady's hands free to wave around in a stylish way. Finally, you use your right wrist/forearm to lead the lady to step forward with her right foot and hook your right hand into the inside crook of the lady's elbow to turn her to face you as you slide your hand into hers.

This is one of those moves that is always popular and is repeated in freestyle after it's taught in the lesson. I call it the no-hands sway as the lady is holding on with no hands as she's swayed back.

FoxyFunkster
29th-December-2007, 07:20 PM
[quote=gebandemuishond;439748]Has anyone got any tips for how to do a nice Sway?

A great move with great variations, sway left handed turn out into mambo`s would work, also the sway is the start to the world famous rotating tornado taught by Simon Borland, but going back to the sway all i would say is that when i see it danced by some it can look a bit static, the thing i teach is to try and keep it smooth and i always teach extra steps in the step back to lengthen the move, keep it smooth and flowing.....

robd
29th-December-2007, 08:00 PM
world famous rotating tornado taught by Simon Borland

Understatement not one of your stronger characteristics then Steve?

gebandemuishond
29th-December-2007, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the tips guys! Lots of interesting things to try out next time I go dancing. I never contemplated a no hands sway before.

One tip, from a class Amir did, is that the right-hand hold may be uncomfortable for the lady, because you're bending her wrist - so either have a loose hold, or just place your right hand gently on top of hers.

This is something else I wondered about, I always used to have trouble leading the entry because I'd just move my right hand (holding the follower's right hand) towards me and then out to the right, and people often mistook it for a ceroc/ladyspin. Then I started doing a sort of flick with the wrist just as my hand started moving to my right and there were no more problems leading it, but I did wonder how uncomfortable it is for the follower. I guess subtlety is the key...

What, from the exit? Or from the sway hold itself?

I had in mind before the sway started properly, I've been taught something similar in west coast swing where you offer the left hand above the right (which is beginning the in and then right bit), use that to loop the followers hand above your head and then you're practically in closed position, where you could mambo to your hearst's content. Not sure if that makes sense.

Dan

David Bailey
29th-December-2007, 11:11 PM
I had in mind before the sway started properly, I've been taught something similar in west coast swing where you offer the left hand above the right (which is beginning the in and then right bit), use that to loop the followers hand above your head and then you're practically in closed position, where you could mambo to your hearst's content. Not sure if that makes sense.
It makes sense - but, you can use almost any move to get into mambo (I assume you're referring to the Manhattan here - i.e. leaders step forward on left, then back on left?), and that seems a bit of a complex way to get into it...

geoff332
30th-December-2007, 06:45 PM
In a basic sway, for me, the back "step" is really a rock - a shift of weight. I get my feet in the place I want them as I lead the follow in: my right foot behind my left and my weight on my left foot. The sway movement is produced by leading the follow to step back, me shifting my weight, and moving our arms. The main reason I do is this way is to give me more options to vary the sway by making sure I have a solid platform.

gebandemuishond
5th-January-2008, 04:10 PM
My advice is to lead the sway from a guy's left lady's right hand hold. Draw the lady forward by pulling gently towards your hip and then guide/throw the lady's hand to your right to turn her through 180 degrees. As she comes around to face the same way as you collect her far hip with your right hand and use that hand on the hip to guide the back step. This leaves both the lady's hands free to wave around in a stylish way. Finally, you use your right wrist/forearm to lead the lady to step forward with her right foot and hook your right hand into the inside crook of the lady's elbow to turn her to face you as you slide your hand into hers.

This is one of those moves that is always popular and is repeated in freestyle after it's taught in the lesson. I call it the no-hands sway as the lady is holding on with no hands as she's swayed back.

I tried this and discovered two things: I don't like leading with a hand on my partner's hip, and followers don't seem to like my hand being on their hip when it "should" be holding their hand. However, this could well be down to my lack of familiarity with it, so I'll keep trying as it sounds nice.

Dan

Doesn't work. Not for me and not yet at any rate.

Dan

EricD
10th-January-2008, 01:46 AM
... or just place your right hand gently on top of hers.

I find it helps to start in a 'reverse hold' with the man's hand draped over the ladies hand - sounds smilar. Then a gentle twist of the wrist clockwise (think doorknob) will help lead her to turn anticlockwise as you lead her forwards.

Sounds contradictory, but 'clockwise' looking one way (up) is 'anti-clockwise' looking the other way (down)! (or counter-clockwise)