PDA

View Full Version : "Who's going where" threads - is there a better way?

David Bailey
17th-December-2007, 11:07 AM
Inspired by:

These polls are prepared by the by the mods in response to forumites suggestions and are not a comprehensive listing like Uk-jive or Lyndas list.
Can people think of a better way to do these polls, to avoid confusion and possibly to be more efficient?

Maybe we could put a disclaimer like UP's post at the start of relevant polls?

Maybe there's a better way to do them?

Twirly
17th-December-2007, 11:47 AM
I think they work fine as they are - people make suggestions, and up goes the event. Just a pain for mods if they keep having to add stuff.

Guess that a mod could just use one of the national lists to make the list, but then you'd get such a lot of events.

Is there anything on the FAQ about how these lists are constructed? If not, then maybe it could be added, and if you get complaints about things not being included, just refer them to it. Those who have been on here a while know the system after all - we don't need to see an explanation every week.

robd
17th-December-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe there's a better way to do them?

Yes, leave them to me :whistle:

Sparkles
17th-December-2007, 12:11 PM
How about setting up a forum calendar?

That way events could be added in advance (ie as soon as they are announced) and then events from all over the UK are immediately available for the poll to be set up (and the mods wouldn't have to keep adding events after the poll had already been constructed).
If there's a problem with advertising, you wouldn't have to make it public... ie just have a click box that says "add an event to the calendar" with "name" and "date" boxes and then it could be just for the mods to see?

Either that or just leave them to robd :D ;)

Miss Flicts
17th-December-2007, 12:26 PM
I think they work fine as they are - people make suggestions, and up goes the event. Just a pain for mods if they keep having to add stuff.

Guess that a mod could just use one of the national lists to make the list, but then you'd get such a lot of events.

Is there anything on the FAQ about how these lists are constructed? If not, then maybe it could be added, and if you get complaints about things not being included, just refer them to it. Those who have been on here a while know the system after all - we don't need to see an explanation every week.

I agree - I'm quite new to the forum but I don't find it confusing at all. If the thread was called 'Events Listings' or something that would be misleading, but if it says 'Who's Going Where?' (or similar) it's clear that it's just a way for people on the forum to talk about where they are going themselves. It follows that if nobody's mentioned an event it probably won't be on the list.

Trousers
17th-December-2007, 12:38 PM
Make them temporary threads too.

Delete them from the database after the date.

Declutter declutter!

Lory
17th-December-2007, 01:01 PM
if it says 'Who's Going Where?' (or similar) it's clear that it's just a way for people on the forum to talk about where they are going themselves.
This is my view exactly!

The polls are there for the use of the 'forum community,' to share the events we're personally interested in/attending. Its NOT and never has been a comprehensive national list.

Its simply a way of seeing where your mates, or all your favourite dancers (or 'the ten') are going, so, you can join them or in the case of DJ, avoid them! :wink:

I think I might do one of the '2008 weekenders' today too! ;)

Steven666
17th-December-2007, 01:04 PM
Where is the most comprehensive list? I'll do it weekly if someone points me in the right direction. A minute or two copying and pasting doesn't take long.

David Bailey
17th-December-2007, 01:09 PM
Where is the most comprehensive list? I'll do it weekly if someone points me in the right direction. A minute or two copying and pasting doesn't take long.
There are a couple of problems with this, which immediately spring to mind:

The forum is not a directory site, trying to make it one simply doesn't work.
There's a limit of 25 poll options - and I think that's too many, personally - so you'd only be able to do a few specific options. I reckon the average weekend sees maybe 100 (wild guess) or more events in the UK.

Gadget
17th-December-2007, 01:18 PM
What would be nice would be if the "see who's voted" could be on by default (for "public" polls of course ;))

Astro
17th-December-2007, 01:21 PM
It's only been confusing lately because of the time of year.

Lory
17th-December-2007, 01:24 PM
Where is the most comprehensive list?

What's the point? There's other sites that do conprehensive lists, you've even mentioned the one's you use yourself!

The forum polls are, BY the forum people, FOR the forum people!

[Bangs head against the wall smiley :rolleyes:]

David Bailey
17th-December-2007, 01:41 PM
"You can fool some of the forum people, all of the time...", etc. :grin:

DavidY
17th-December-2007, 01:42 PM
Its simply a way of seeing where your mates, or all your favourite dancers (or 'the ten') are going, so, you can join them or in the case of DJ, avoid them! :wink::yeah: I can find out what's on, it's knowing who else will be there that's the real value in these.

I think they should remain "Who's going where?" and not try to be "What's on?"

Is there anything on the FAQ about how these lists are constructed? If not, then maybe it could be added, and if you get complaints about things not being included, just refer them to it. Those who have been on here a while know the system after all - we don't need to see an explanation every week.:yeah: I think publishing a timetable would be good too - eg. Something like open the thread 2 weeks before, closing date for events is Sunday night, poll goes up by the Tuesday.

Also maybe put them in their own sub-area under Social Events?

David Bailey
17th-December-2007, 01:48 PM
Nicked from the MJDA forum :)

Steven666
17th-December-2007, 01:59 PM
What's the point? There's other sites that do conprehensive lists, you've even mentioned the one's you use yourself!

A complete list isn't to see what's on. I'll go to UK-Jive to see that. It's to stop that pesky business of updated the poll the mods have to do. It should never be intended to be a guide for what's on, more where people are going.

Lory
17th-December-2007, 02:29 PM
I think they should remain "Who's going where?" and not try to be "What's on?"

Your quite right and so I've edited the title for this weekends poll! :cheers:

tanjive
17th-December-2007, 07:40 PM
Make them temporary threads too.

Delete them from the database after the date.

Declutter declutter!

There are way too many of these lists. :grin: Every weekend!! It only makes sense if there bigger national events that clash. ie the thread that seems to have prompted alot of this where utopia, hammersmith opening and franco were the same weekend.

Anyone can always use Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk) for comprehensive lists at a regional level.

The value of 'who is going' is the only benefit of a forum thread over a listing. I would vote for keeping one open thread "Whos going to...". There is one thread for posting forumite pictures on for example.

DavidY
17th-December-2007, 07:46 PM
The value of 'who is going' is the only benefit of a forum thread over a listing. I would vote for keeping one open thread "Whos going to...". There is one thread for posting forumite pictures on for example.Yes but you couldn't have the polls if it was one long thread...
Also maybe put them in their own sub-area under Social Events?Sorry to quote myself but had a further thought - if they were in their own sub-forum then people (Silver members only?) could select to ignore them if they really don't like them!

Minnie M
17th-December-2007, 08:59 PM
.........The polls are there for the use of the 'forum community,' to share the events we're personally interested in/attending. Its NOT and never has been a comprehensive national list.

Its simply a way of seeing where your mates, or all your favourite dancers (or 'the ten') are going, so, you can join them or in the case of DJ, avoid them!

......There's other sites that do conprehensive lists
The forum polls are, BY the forum people, FOR the forum people....
:yeah:

......There's other sites that do conprehensive lists....

:innocent:

..........Anyone can always use Modern Jive dance classes and events in the UK (http://www.uk-jive.co.uk) for comprehensive lists at a regional level..

:whistle: do you ever used my list :tears: it concentrates on dances on the south coast

MartinHarper
18th-December-2007, 01:05 AM
Facebook events.

DavidY
18th-December-2007, 06:55 PM
Facebook events.Currently it's not usable for this, IMO at least. Maybe with a better search functionality.

It's really hard to find MJ events amongst the other muggle stuff, (eg. you can't search for events on a particular day). This will only get worse as more and more people join facebook and add their own events.

Also there's nothing to stop umpteen people adding their own version of a particular event, each with their own separate list of attendees. For instance there are at least 2 Southport February events on Facebook.

At least on the forum, the moderators impose some sort of order.

Lory
18th-December-2007, 07:41 PM
For instance there are at least 2 Southport February events on Facebook.
Are there?

At least on the forum, the moderators impose some sort of order.

We 'try' :devil:

DavidY
18th-December-2007, 08:34 PM
Are there?Link1 (http://www.facebook.com/search_redirect.php?q=southport&fc=0&gc=0&cl=300&rc=192&rank=1&friends=0&sns=0&k=400000010&t=4&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevent.php%3Feid% 3D4805199835&k=400000010)
Link2 (http://www.facebook.com/search_redirect.php?q=southport&fc=0&gc=0&cl=300&rc=188&rank=9&friends=0&sns=0&k=400000010&t=4&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fevent.php%3Feid% 3D5594515668&k=400000010)
There could be more, for all I know.:rolleyes:

Caz
19th-December-2007, 09:01 AM
It's really hard to find MJ events amongst the other muggle stuff, (eg. you can't search for events on a particular day). This will only get worse as more and more people join facebook and add their own events.

:rofl:Glad it isn't just me and Jamie who call non dancers muggles!

:flower: