PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in Pregnancy

Miss Marmite
7th-December-2007, 04:00 PM
Hello All - it's been a long while since i have posted anything on here as i have been somewhat busy growing another whole person in my tummy!!! :D I have however still been dancing on a regular basis (allbeit once or twice a week rather than 3 or 4 times :sad:) and even checked with Drs and midwife that i am still safe to dance - to which the answer is absolutely, yes for as long as you are comfortable.:clap:

At first this posed no problem as no-one knew, and i just specified no drops please. However as word got around a got fewer and fewer dances and now (at 22 weeks) i have a lovely medium sized 'bump' It's like people think they are going to catch some horrible contagious disease if they so much as make eye contact. The organisers of my local jive night also requested (albeit politely) that i didn't enter the DWAS that they ran about 6 weeks ago too!

I have now resigned to only going on nights when my particularly close friends are there and only really dance with the 3 or 4 people who don't treat me like i might break (which i can assure everyone i am in no danger of). It is really frustrating. I wouldn't be there if i couldn't dance and so long as i take the odd rest i'm absoultely fine to go all night (aherm! :blush:) I have never fallen over when dancing before and dont intend to start now - my balance remains unnafected.

Am i being selfish, supid even?

Twirly
7th-December-2007, 04:56 PM
Am just guessing here, but I'd suspect that the guys you would normally dance with are just concerned that they don't hurt you or the bump, and maybe feel safer not to dance with you. As for the organisers asking you not to get involved in the DWAS, that might have been partially for that, and also for fear that should something have happened, they'd get sued.

As for being selfish - do you mean for wanting to dance whilst pregnant, or for expecting guys to dance with you whilst pregnant? For the former, I'd say no since you've taken medical advice and been told it's OK. To the latter - am afraid that it's their choice as to whether they wish to dance with you or not, whether pregnant or not.

Freudian Hips
7th-December-2007, 05:09 PM
I wasn't partner dancing when I was pregnant with each of my three daughters. I did however continue contemporary dance and yoga well into the seventh month with a few moderations to set exercises. The difference clearly being that I was in charge and in control of what I was doing.

Perhaps one way of dealing with people being nervous of dancing with you is to ask them rather than wait for them to ask you. Ask other followers who the gentle and responsive leads are. Don't be afraid to set the limits of the dance. When we are injured or just not on form, we all have to state our limits.

Your baby will be having great fun feeling you move and listening to the music. You will both benefit from being as phyiscally active as is comfortable for as long into the pregnancy as you can. Soon he/she will join in the dancing too - watch out for those internal preztels - ow!!

Good luck and keep on enjoying yourself. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mr Darcy
7th-December-2007, 05:11 PM
Am i being selfish, supid even?

I don't think you're being either of those. Though as Twirly says it's up to the leaders who they accept or ask for dances with. In most cases I'm sure it's just that they're terrified of having any kind of accident! Personally I'm happy to dance with pregnant women and just adapt my style as needed.

Miss Marmite
7th-December-2007, 05:28 PM
Thank you all for your support. I am probably taking things far too personally what with all the extra hormones raging etc. It puts things back in perspective to see other peoples opinions written down as i'm sure my response would have been similar had someone else been asking the question!

Here's to some more happy dancing until i really am too big and have developed 'the waddle'!!!

Baby enjoys the dancing already and is often very active - Well they do say to start them young!

RedFox
7th-December-2007, 05:28 PM
I don't think you're being either of those. Though as Twirly says it's up to the leaders who they accept or ask for dances with. In most cases I'm sure it's just that they're terrified of having any kind of accident! Personally I'm happy to dance with pregnant women and just adapt my style as needed.
:yeah:
I'm with Mr D on this.

I get the impression that you're waiting to be asked to dance? Perhaps you could try asking some suitable partners if they would dance with you - I suspect that at least some of them would then ask you themselves the following week.

Miss Marmite
7th-December-2007, 05:36 PM
:yeah:
I'm with Mr D on this.

I get the impression that you're waiting to be asked to dance? Perhaps you could try asking some suitable partners if they would dance with you - I suspect that at least some of them would then ask you themselves the following week.

I have to confess that i have been asking people less and less. I am concious that my local venue has a no refusal policy and think that it would would be unfair to 'force' them into dancing. In fact an old competition partner was there this week and happily (for both of us!) flung me about (in a good way) as he usually does:grin:. which seemed to intice others to do the same. I suppose there is an element of self fullfilment in so much as the more i dance the more i will get asked and if i sit with a miserable face (because i'm not dancing) the opposite is likely to happen.

Thanks again guys. It's nice to know you don't think i should stop (a couple of men have actually told me they didn't think i should be dancing at all!)

RedFox
7th-December-2007, 05:59 PM
I have to confess that i have been asking people less and less. I am concious that my local venue has a no refusal policy and think that it would would be unfair to 'force' them into dancing.
Perhaps you could phrase the question carefully to give them an opt out, despite the policy? Or ask a friend to enquire on your behalf whether your 'target' would be comfortable dancing with you?

It's nice to know you don't think i should stop
You go for it! :D

(a couple of men have actually told me they didn't think i should be dancing at all!)
Fossils! :rolleyes:

stairman
7th-December-2007, 06:38 PM
Thanks again guys. It's nice to know you don't think i should stop (a couple of men have actually told me they didn't think i should be dancing at all!)

If you are comfortable doing something while pregnant then don't let others pressure you into stopping as the resulting frustration is probably more harmful.

I tend to ask those that are pregnant if they would like to dance as the two I have seen since I started Ceroc appeared not to be getting asked (and I thought if they did not want to dance they would not be there) both appeared pleased to be asked. And yes, I was more aware of what I was doing. If you come to Aberdeen I will ask you to dance!:clap:

Little Black Dress
7th-December-2007, 06:49 PM
You go for it Miss Marmite!

As Stairman says, as long as you feel comfortable, dance for as long as you like:nice: I know that my hubby had no problem dancing with a pregnant friend recently. Just go for the leaders you know will be sensible - what about female leads, if the men aren't willing?:wink:

Caro
7th-December-2007, 07:12 PM
I'm with the others... go for it :D

some (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EApqXgmAjk) have a lot of fun dancing while heavily pregnant... :wink:

Ghost
7th-December-2007, 07:21 PM
Just to consider the other side of this....

What's the floorcraft like where you dance?

My concern with dancing with an obviously pregnant lady is some idiot slamming / elbowing into the back of her and any harm that might cause. I'm good at floorcraft, but there's some remarkably creative idiots out there.

Off to the side, something nice and gentle with good dancers around keeping a reasonable distance.

suttonc
7th-December-2007, 10:16 PM
:respect: I think it's great that you're dancing when pregnant, it's keeping you in shape for the tougher time ahead. Like you, some told me that I shouldn't be dancing but you learn very quickly what you're capable of and what you can't do. I had to cut down to once a week, just because I was so tired from the late nights of getting up to pee every two minutes!!

Keep it up for as long as you can. I would definitely do it again

Freudian Hips
7th-December-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you all for your support. I am probably taking things far too personally what with all the extra hormones raging etc. It puts things back in perspective to see other peoples opinions written down as i'm sure my response would have been similar had someone else been asking the question!

Fossils! :rolleyes:

Naaa. You're not taking it personally. Being pregnant is a very weird social state. Suddenly your body becomes everybody's business. Suddenly magazines and professionals tell you about all the things you shouldn't be doing. Every week there is a new PhD that adds to the forbidden list. People want to touch your belly (actually I never minded that as I was equally amazed by my belly!). Any activity that you do is now viewed in terms of how it might affect your baby. Welcome to motherhood. You only get it more wrong from here on in. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Alice
8th-December-2007, 01:29 AM
I would imagine that many guys would be concerned about doing something to injure either you or the baby and so would decline from offering. If this is the case, and you're confident in them as a dancer, maybe it's simply a case of educating them!

Sounds like you've done your research and you know that it's fine for you to be dancing in the first place; but maybe you could mention this while chatting to them - might be an idea to explain what moves would not be such a good idea (and obviously this will probably change as time passes:wink:) but I'm sure it would help them to know that as long as they're careful they're not likely to do you any major injuries:)

Rios Dearg
15th-December-2007, 12:44 AM
When having my first baby, I stopped doing anything much energetic. The second time, I continued teaching aerobics until I was 8 months. I adapted my teaching style to accommodate certain limitations (have to be careful with abdomimals and over stretching), but I found it kept me fit and well, and ended up having a much easier birth and getting back into shape much faster afterwards.

You are the only person who can be sure of your limits. Listen to your body, you will know how much you can do, and what not to do. Explain to people that you are not ill, just pregnant, and ask leads whom you know will be considerate.

Good luck!

:flower:

David Bailey
15th-December-2007, 09:47 AM
Ghost's point about floorcraft is a good one - there's always idiots out there. Having said that, I can't recall ever encountering a floorcraft problem with people banging into tummies - injuries are usually to feet etc. - so assuming you're not dancing in Floorcraft Hell Venue, it should be fine.

Xihomara, one of my first salsa teachers, kept teaching and dancing salsa until she was about 10 months gone, judging from the size of her bump, so I think you'll be fine.

Ghost
15th-December-2007, 01:45 PM
Ghost's point about floorcraft is a good one - there's always idiots out there. Having said that, I can't recall ever encountering a floorcraft problem with people banging into tummies - injuries are usually to feet etc.
Ah it's more people coming from the other angle and elbowing into her lower back I'm worrried about.

(Or the genius who led a Jump spin back kick in the middle of a crowded floor recently)

Raul
15th-December-2007, 07:45 PM
Some sensible advice above.

When you feel it is unsafe to dance at regular venues you can still carry on with friends at home if you have sufficient room or may be in a studio.

YouTube - tango embarazada (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liwtHnbpm20)

When they interview the next wonderkid, you'll be thinking "Well - he/she has been dancing since he/she was a foetus."

Keep it safe but have fun.

Gadget
17th-December-2007, 11:14 AM
Just so you know you're not the first to ask or dance during pregnancy:

Question - dancing when pregnant?? (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/lets-talk-about-dance/7792-question-dancing-when-pregnant.html)

I don't see any reason not to :flower:

Monika
18th-December-2007, 04:50 PM
I suppose the important thing is that you enjoy it and feel comfortable dancing during this time :nice: I had every intention to keep dancing until (very) late in pregnancy, but have to give it up about half way through as felt ill and very uncomfortable after a few dances and a few minor incidents related to floorcraft that just didn't make it enjoyable.

If you enjoy it and feel OK - by all means - go for it and enjoy it, but if you feel your body is telling you to stop and take a break, make sure you listen and don't feel you have to keep on doing it. You feel your own limits. I also made sure I wore tops that had some sort of "I'm pregnant" message and avoided dips and drops etc and very much enjoyed it until it simply became too much. Happy dancing and all the best: Remember to look after yourself - there will be limited time for this later... :-) :hug:

Miss Marmite
19th-December-2007, 05:40 PM
Thanks again everyone for being so kind and level headed about this. It all makes sense!

I will keep dancing for as long as i feel comfortable although i'm susspecting that won't be very long now as i am rather large for 23.5 weeks and all of a sudden getting generally uncomfortable (with 3.5 months still to go!!!!!)

Hope to see some of you around. M xxx