PDA

View Full Version : UK WCS Champs - Weston, april 08

Caro
27th-November-2007, 04:58 PM
Well I was looking at the Swing Council website, you know, to look for events to go to next year in the US, at what did I see...

'UK WCS Dance championships', april 11-13, Weston, UK... :clap:

So what does this mean John and Wes, does it mean that the JnJ comps will count in the World Swing Dance Council system, i.e. we'll get points ???
If so, I'm assuming novice => novice points and Open => intermediate points ?

Is that right ?

PS: added a poll to see who's going too, obviously.

ducasi
28th-November-2007, 12:39 AM
I've re-done the poll to make it public (and taken the opportunity to add a couple of extra options! :D)

People who have voted will unfortunately have to vote again. Sorry. :(

johnah
28th-November-2007, 01:22 AM
Well I was looking at the Swing Council website, you know, to look for events to go to next year in the US, at what did I see...

'UK WCS Dance championships', april 11-13, Weston, UK... :clap:

So what does this mean John and Wes, does it mean that the JnJ comps will count in the World Swing Dance Council system, i.e. we'll get points ???
If so, I'm assuming novice => novice points and Open => intermediate points ?
Is that right ?

You have the eyes of a hawk Caro and yes, it means the Jack&Jill comps will count in the WSDC system and we feel privileged to have been invited to become members.

Caro
28th-November-2007, 10:37 AM
You have the eyes of a hawk Caro and yes, it means the Jack&Jill comps will count in the WSDC system and we feel privileged to have been invited to become members.

that's great news! :clap:

So was I right in thinking novice cat will give novice points and open will give intermediate ? Or have they decided to only give novice points to the open cat due to the lower of standard of dancing compared to the US ?

PS: thanks for helping with the poll Ducasi :flower:

johnnyman
28th-November-2007, 12:13 PM

What a wonderful thing to happen and deservedly so, in light of the tireless efforts of Jive Addiction in their contribution in bringing WCS to the masses in the UK. The first one this year demonstrated how far it has come in a short space of time.

See you there next April.

best
johnnyman

robd
28th-November-2007, 07:07 PM
Just to hijack this thread slightly, I received Angie's WCS newsletter today and in it there's mention of a WCS weekend in Brean Sands Pontins nr Weston SM sometime in the new year before Weston (she did give the date but I forget it and I don't have access to my email here) - Lee easton's name was given but whether he is organising the event or just teaching there I can't remember.

Caro
28th-November-2007, 09:27 PM
Just to hijack this thread slightly, I received Angie's WCS newsletter today and in it there's mention of a WCS weekend in Brean Sands Pontins nr Weston SM sometime in the new year before Weston

cheers for that Rob, received it too but didn't notice that particular bit :blush:
25th of feb, that sounds feasible... now where's that Brean place ? any airport nearby ? :confused:

Peter
28th-November-2007, 10:38 PM
Just to hijack this thread slightly, I received Angie's WCS newsletter today and in it there's mention of a WCS weekend in Brean Sands Pontins nr Weston SM sometime in the new year before Weston (she did give the date but I forget it and I don't have access to my email here) - Lee easton's name was given but whether he is organising the event or just teaching there I can't remember.

Some info about the weekend here (http://tinyurl.com/ytlrmy)

Tiggerbabe
29th-November-2007, 10:12 AM
now where's that Brean place ? any airport nearby ? :confused:
If it's the same place as Breeze, you can fly to Bristol.

Paul F
29th-November-2007, 11:44 AM
I certainly hope to get there but I put maybe as I have no idea what Im going to be doing in April. That's 5 months away!

I dont even know what I am doing for Christmas :rolleyes:

Keith J
7th-December-2007, 01:20 PM
We understand this is combined in L & C event. Of course in The USA WCS traditionally lived inside as one of the 8 event dances.
WCS huge US growth internally at L & C events lead to the need for their own National events.

Well done to Wes & Jon for them sticking their event onto the NASDE.
There is a traditional honour duty that they should really be seen at Atlanta event as good PR for their event. I am sure the US would give them a huge welcome and support. See you over the water boys!

It may well be now we see US dancers coming over competing in the UK for NASDE points!
Also it means if you place 1st in UK novice you will have to dance any USA competitions at intermediate. This would be a quantum leap for most the UK dancers.

Caro
7th-December-2007, 01:56 PM
It may well be now we see US dancers coming over competing in the UK for NASDE points!
Also it means if you place 1st in UK novice you will have to dance any USA competitions at intermediate. This would be a quantum leap for most the UK dancers.

easy tiger, we're talking WSDC points, not NASDE (unless you want to compete against J&T :whistle:)

You need more than a win at novice to compete in intermediate in the US, you'll need 20 points (a win at a major comp only gives you 12) and a win (some events accept people with over 20 points even if they haven't had a win though).

John and Wes haven't confirmed yet what points will be awarded for what category, I'm suspecting Novice point for the Novice JnJ, but I'd like confirmation for the Open JnJ... basically my thinking is that there are very few people who would be at a level to score intermediate points in the US, apart from the obvious Paul and Cat, and may be a few others. So the WSDC might be reluctant to award intermediaite points over here... Especially as AFAIC (may be wrong of course) apart from Paul W, nobody here actually has intermediaite points or qualified to move on to intermediate (Paul F's not far I know though).

pjfrad
7th-December-2007, 02:03 PM
Will the Strictly Swing categories also qualify for points?

Caro
7th-December-2007, 02:05 PM
Will the Strictly Swing categories also qualify for points?

they don't anymore in US, don't see why it would be any different here. Points are only awarded to JnJ Novice, Intermediate and Advanced.

All the rules on that website (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com).

Seahorse
7th-December-2007, 02:21 PM
I'd like to get along. Just a case of balancing work commitments.

pjfrad
7th-December-2007, 02:51 PM
they don't anymore in US, don't see why it would be any different here. Points are only awarded to JnJ Novice, Intermediate and Advanced.

All the rules on that website (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com).

Oh, didn't realise that :blush:

Keith J
7th-December-2007, 06:40 PM
To clarify NASDE

The NASDE Tour consists of 12 top Swing Dance events in the USA. Points are accumulated by placing at these dance events in the Classic, Showcase, and Strictly Swing divisions. Prize money is awarded at the end of the year to the top dancers.
NASDE Swing Dance Competition Divisions: NASDE sponsors the swing dance competition divisions of Showcase, Classic, and Strictly Swing to help promote, preserve, and improve swing dancing. The objective is to provide a competitive performance venue for the various unique styles of swing that have developed across the nation to include the Carolina Shag, Dallas Push, East Coast Swing, Hand Dancing, Hollywood Swing, Houston Whip, Imperial Swing, Jive, Jitterbug, Lindy Hop, Rock-n-Roll, and West Coast Swing, to name a few.
Individual points are obtained by placing in either NASDE Classic, Showcase, or Strictly Swing categories. Competitors are eligible to participate in any and all categories per event as the individual event rules allow. Competitors are awarded points for one category per event.
The WORLD SWING DANCE COUNCIL, organized in 1993, is a service organization designed to further communication and to provide informational services and record keeping for those in the Swing Dance Community
· Fosters communications between geographical locations and all generations for all types and all styles of Swing.
· Spreads appreciation for both Swing as it WAS, and Swing as it IS. The importance of Both is recognized as only the past and the present appreciated together can combine to create the future!
· Promotes the GROWTH of ALL Swing Dancing to the general public at large. (This fantastic sport, recreation, rehabilitation, and indeed, "way of life" brings unsurpassed joy to many. It's the best-kept secret in the country. Let's share it!)
· Provides an Information Clearing House for Dancers, Swing Dance Clubs, Promoters, Organizers, Teachers, Judges, Competitors, and all interested parties.
· Maintains a national website.
· Maintains a Competitors Registry showing placements from all Major Events, with points accumulated for each competitor.
· Maintains a Members Registry for communication between Members.
· Maintains a DJ Registry with a listing of DJs that are members of the WSDC in good standing.
· Maintains an Instructors Registry with a listing of dance instructors that are members of the WSDC in good standing.
· Coordinates and maintains a National Events Calendar listing of dates and locations that allows for better planning for both organizers and those who plan to participate.
Sponsors the National Swing Dance Hall of Fame honoring those with long-time contributions and accomplishments to the swing dance community and industry.
Points are awarded to each male and female competitor placing in a category as follows:
CLASSIC AND SHOWCASE
Place/Points: 1/10, 2/9, 3/8, 4/7, 5/6, 6/5, 7/4, 8/3, 9/2, 10/1
STRICTLY SWING
Place/Points: 1/5, 2/4.5, 3/4, 4/3.5, 5/3, 6/2.5, 7/2, 8/1.5, 9/1, 10/.5

Point Award is not made past the 10th place in the situation where points are not awarded due to individual competitors competing and placing in more than one category. The point award priority is Showcase, Classic, Strictly Swing in the situation where a contestant earns the same points in two categories at an event.
The 2005 $12,000 prize fund is distributed, based on total points awarded at the end of the tour, to male and female competitors placing as follows:
1st - $2000, 2nd - $1200, 3rd - $800, 4th - $600, 5th - $400, 6th - $300, 7th - $250, 8th $200, 9th $150, 10th - $100.
In the event of a tie, the prize money for the placements involved will be added together and divided equally.
Member events must offer the Classic and Showcase categories with Strictly Swing category optional, and pay a minimum prize fund of $1000 per category at their event.

HelenB
7th-December-2007, 06:43 PM
Potentially going but haven't sorted out any accommodation

Where's everyone staying?

Rhythm King
14th-December-2007, 11:04 PM
I'm planning to go. I just need to sort out accommodation and a comp partner :whistle:

Brady
1st-January-2008, 04:55 AM
PS: added a poll to see who's going too, obviously.

Wish I were able to come back across for this, but unfortunately work in the US limits my holidays. Susan is currently in the UK while we wait for her visa, so she is going to try to go.

I'm aiming to come over in 2009 and already have a potential group of people from here in the Bay Area who are interested in coming too!

I'm also interested to see how the categories work out. I can't think of enough intermediate/advanced level dancers to even run a category large enough for points (think it is 4 couples minimum to give out points). Technically, there is a Newcomer category in the system, so it would be possible to run it as Newcomer and Open, where a Newcomer has no Swing Council points. Anybody else would then be in the Open. This was pretty much what happened last year, except teachers had to go into the Open even if they had no points. The downside to Newcomer is that you will only see it at a few events in the US and they don't do you any good for getting out of Novice.

Brady

robd
20th-February-2008, 06:38 PM
Been meaning to post this since sending off my money and booking for this event so for those of you who are competing, which category are you going to enter at - Novice or Open? There's no guidance on the Jive addiction website or booking forms as to which is the appropriate category. Personally I believe Open is appropriate for those teaching WCS and those who were placed in the Novice category at last year's event but others believe that Novice is appropriate for people who have been dancing WCS 6 months and less which would leave a lot of people like myself kinda in the middle of the two (though I did indicate Novice JnJ when sending off my booking, I figure I could easily change this if needed)

Thoughts? What are you planning to do?

Robert

DS87
20th-February-2008, 06:57 PM
Good question!:eek: I don't think that I really gave it as much thought as I should have when I sent in my application form. I decided to enter novice on the premise that: I am not a teacher, I have never won any competitions at any level and if I went over to the states (Swingdiego here I come :waycool:) then this is the level that I would go for.
However now you mention it we do seem to have a different understanding of the terms novice in this country and over here I guess I would rate myself as intermediate (if only a lowly one). I suppose I think of people like Paul and Cat :worthy: entering Open with the likes of Graham Fox and the other Teachers and I don't rate myself anywhere near to their level. I guess that we really need clarification from John or Wes or even a third level (maybe newcomer?) but then I suppose that there may not be the numbers or the time for that.

On a different note; if people still haven't booked their accommodation we did a bit of looking around on the Web and found some Self catering apartments who upon calling were happy to do a weekend rate coming to only £150 for 4 people.:clap:

Steve

Lynn
20th-February-2008, 06:57 PM
I thought Novice in WCS was more like Int in MJ? If it was for those dancing 6 months or less I would probably try to drag my dance partner along and give it a go. We'd be out right in the first round, but mightn't look quite as woeful as we would if its lots of people at a much higher level than us (which I suspect it would be).

Lory
20th-February-2008, 07:03 PM
I was chatting to Cat and she said there was nothing (in the rules of this comp) to stop teachers from competing at novice level!

Jennifer
20th-February-2008, 07:07 PM
Been meaning to post this since sending off my money and booking for this event so for those of you who are competing, which category are you going to enter at - Novice or Open? There's no guidance on the Jive addiction website or booking forms as to which is the appropriate category. Personally I believe Open is appropriate for those teaching WCS and those who were placed in the Novice category at last year's event but others believe that Novice is appropriate for people who have been dancing WCS 6 months and less which would leave a lot of people like myself kinda in the middle of the two (though I did indicate Novice JnJ when sending off my booking, I figure I could easily change this if needed)

Robert

As I understand it - to run Weston under the USA's system means that almost everybody in this country would dance at Novice level (including most of the teachers) as very few Brits have enough points to qualify them to dance at a higher level. I would say you had picked the correct one by going for Novice.

Newcomer would ideally be the category for those who have danced for less time but, as it it not being done at Weston, they would enter Novice as well. It should be a big category but that could mean more points for the winners.

HelenB
20th-February-2008, 07:16 PM

Not enter :D (unless anyone's mad enough to want to compete with me :what:)

Lory
20th-February-2008, 07:28 PM
Not enter :D (unless anyone's mad enough to want to compete with me :what:)
:yeah:

Not enter :D (there's definitely no-one mad enough to want to compete with me :tears::wink:)

Telly tubby's rule! (that one's for LimpyTink)

Minnie M
20th-February-2008, 07:31 PM
The WSDC Points Register (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/registry_search.asp)

Check out our very own and very modest Brady Rogers :respect:

(Dave Hancock has some points too :clap:)

Little Monkey
20th-February-2008, 09:40 PM

And so does Caro, Paul F, Susan........

Minnie M
20th-February-2008, 09:48 PM
And so does Caro, Paul F, Susan........

:respect: well done to all of you :clap:

Caro
20th-February-2008, 10:16 PM
As I understand it - to run Weston under the USA's system means that almost everybody in this country would dance at Novice level (including most of the teachers) as very few Brits have enough points to qualify them to dance at a higher level. I would say you had picked the correct one by going for Novice.

Newcomer would ideally be the category for those who have danced for less time but, as it it not being done at Weston, they would enter Novice as well. It should be a big category but that could mean more points for the winners.

well John and Wes haven't clarified what points will be given to what category yet. I'll compete in the division where I might stand a chance to get points. And it could well be that WSDC 'novice' points will be given to our 'open' division, and nothing for our 'novice' division (which would in fact be like a newcomer in the US).

So with that in mind, I've registered myself in the Open, not that I expect to get anywhere close to the top level, but I figured that if I didn't then few peeps would (others than teachers). On a more selfish note, you also get better partners, so the dances tend to be more fun.

The WSDC Points Register (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com/registry_search.asp)

Check out our very own and very modest Brady Rogers :respect:

And so does Caro (...)........

Correction: I have a point. But I'll work on making that plural this year :D

mikeyr
21st-February-2008, 12:53 PM
Correction: I have a point. But I'll work on making that plural this year :D

Me too :clap: I got one :clap:

From the WSDC site: The WSDC only tracks and records points for Jack & Jill contests. Points will only be tracked or recorded for those who danced in the final round only.

So these points are recorded only for J & J's. There is a category called novice J & J in April, one could assume that this is where the novice points should go.

However, it is down to the individual competitor, if the points up for grabs are in the Open then thats where I will enter. :na:

robd
12th-March-2008, 11:17 AM
The competition rules (http://www.jiveaddiction.com/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=27&Itemid=30)have now been posted.

Personally I would have preferred to have seen the cash split between the top 3 in each category rather than a 'winner takes all' but maybe there's an extra incentive there.

Caro
12th-March-2008, 11:32 AM
The competition rules (http://www.jiveaddiction.com/cms/index.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_download&gid=27&Itemid=30)have now been posted.

cheers for that Rob. I'm still unclear whether any of the JnJ category will qualify for US WSDC points ?

Also you can't enter Novice if you have won a previous WCS competition - well do fun JnJ organised at a local venue count towards that ?

Jennifer
12th-March-2008, 11:39 AM
cheers for that Rob. I'm still unclear whether any of the JnJ category will qualify for US WSDC points ?

It says WSDC points are awarded in Open Jack & Jill - it is under the bit about the prize money sweetie.

robd
12th-March-2008, 11:43 AM

Also you can't enter Novice if you have won a previous WCS competition - well do fun JnJ organised at a local venue count towards that ?

At the very bottom it says that WSDC points are awarded in this category (Open)

The 1st place ruling is harsh and who knows what counts as a competition in that context? I would say that the Windsor JnJ that I guess you are referring to should count but that the Newcomer JnJ at Brean should not. I guess an enquiry to Jive Addiction is the only way to be sure.

Caro
12th-March-2008, 11:45 AM
It says WSDC points are awarded in Open Jack & Jill - it is under the bit about the prize money sweetie.

cheers hun I didn't see :blush:

So does it mean that people who aren't allowed in the US to compete in Novice category will not be allowed to enter the Open JnJ at Weston ? (I think that only concerns Paul and Cat who compete in advanced and intermediaite in the US and therefore are not elligible to Novice points)

Jennifer
12th-March-2008, 11:54 AM
cheers hun I didn't see :blush:

So does it mean that people who aren't allowed in the US to compete in Novice category will not be allowed to enter the Open JnJ at Weston ? (I think that only concerns Paul and Cat who compete in advanced and intermediaite in the US and therefore are not elligible to Novice points)

By WSDC regulations events that combine divisions (i.e. Novice/Intermediate), points will be tracked for all contestants in the lower of the two divisions.

I would say this covers Weston so they would get Novice points. By having an Open divison you allow various levels to enter but it won't help more advanced dancers with their points progression.

Caro
12th-March-2008, 12:07 PM
By having an Open divison you allow various levels to enter but it won't help more advanced dancers with their points progression.

Yet they will basically be taking Novice points 'from' other peeps who still need to collect them... :whistle: :devil:

robd
12th-March-2008, 12:53 PM

Just thinking through who might be affected by this and I can think of

Simon B & Lisa Vivo/Jacq Taylor (Twick & Isleworth JnJ)
Ed & Caro (Windsor JnJ)
Ed & Naomi (Windsor Strictly)
Glen & Naomi (Brean JnJ)
Franck & Dora (Weston Novice last year)
James McCloughlin & Naomi (Weston JnJ last year)

I don't think anyone there is going to look out of place in Open (and some were in the Open at Weston last year). I can't believe they would count the Newcomer category at Brean for this purpose.

The real difficulty is that Paul & Cat are so far ahead of everyone else they should have a category of their own but of course that isn't going to happen.

Caro
12th-March-2008, 01:21 PM
Just thinking through who might be affected by this and I can think of

Simon B & Lisa Vivo/Jacq Taylor (Twick & Isleworth JnJ)
Ed & Caro (Windsor JnJ)
Ed & Naomi (Windsor Strictly)
Glen & Naomi (Brean JnJ)
Franck & Dora (Weston Novice last year)
James McCloughlin & Naomi (Weston JnJ last year)

I can think of a few others,

Neil C (Crossa - won some comp in the US I think)
Paul F (not that he'll come, mind you :rolleyes:)
Alexymiss (JnJ in France)

I actually it's good that some of us are 'forced up', hopefully it will get peeps of a similar level (and there are many) to sign up in Open, and at least we'll get a decent category with more than 6 couples... (as it was last year) Anyway if that's where the points are, I guess we should see quite a few peeps signing up, and the Novice division will effectively be more like a US Newcomer one.

Plus, under 15 couples and points will only be for the first 5 couples placing, when if over 15 couples enter there will be points up to the 10th place.

Lory
12th-March-2008, 02:06 PM
Plus, under 15 couples and points will only be for the first 5 couples placing, when if over 15 couples enter there will be points up to the 10th place.
Excuse my ignorance but what's so good about getting 'points' :confused:

Can someone enlighten me to what the points mean?

What do they entitle you to?

Do your points have a shelf life or do you keep them forever?

And lastly, how many points have the likes of J & T got now?

Caro
12th-March-2008, 02:27 PM
Excuse my ignorance but what's so good about getting 'points' :confused:

When you enter competitions in the US, there are several divisions, the ones for which the World Swing Dance Council tracks points are Novice, Intermediaite, and Advanced. (they also record points for Newcomers, Allstar, Invitational and Champions but those don't really count).
If you have no WSDC points, you have to enter Novice, until you earn enough points to move on to Intermediaite and then Advanced.
In the grand scheme of things, this is pretty useless.
Now if you're interested in competing in the US and 'get out of novice', it becomes pretty important to get your Novice points. They're a record of achievement and progression, if you want.

Do your points have a shelf life or do you keep them forever?

you keep them forever.

And lastly, how many points have the likes of J & T got now?

a few billions :rolleyes:
If you want to know have a look on The World Swing Dance Council (http://www.swingdancecouncil.com) and 'points registry'. Type Frisbee or Mollman and then see for yourself...

Rhythm King
12th-March-2008, 06:36 PM
So i'm fresh off the plane from my latest trip, haven't danced in yonks and need to book for Weston.

Any follows with a sense of humour who've not booked yet and looking for an unfit, out of practice, knackered old partner for the comps, PM me soonest...
(Well I'm only being honest :whistle: )

robd
12th-March-2008, 06:53 PM
I can think of a few others,

Neil C (Crossa - won some comp in the US I think)
Paul F (not that he'll come, mind you :rolleyes:)
Alexymiss (JnJ in France)

Paul F would have been Open due to his teaching anyway as would Simon B, Paul H, Kev F and Carron along with the more established teachers (I am assuming those taking beginner's revision classes would not be classed as teachers in this respect) There are some teachers who may or may not enter who may not sit so comfortably in the Open but mostly I think that's a reasonable method of categorising those I have named.

At this rate, Open may well become a larger category than Novice :grin:

What I would really like is for whoever's MCing (maybe it will be Royston again) to announce the competitor's arrivals for the finals in the same way as he does for the US comps by stating their geographical location before their name. I wonder if he'll muster up the same enthusiasm for Basingstoke, Surrey as for Long Beach, California :D

ducasi
12th-March-2008, 08:06 PM
... what the points mean?

Prizes!!!

;)

FoxyFunkster
13th-March-2008, 08:48 PM
What I would really like is for whoever's MCing (maybe it will be Royston again) to announce the competitor's arrivals for the finals in the same way as he does for the US comps by stating their geographical location before their name. I wonder if he'll muster up the same enthusiasm for Basingstoke, Surrey as for Long Beach, California :D[/quote]

This is without doubt one of the funniest things RobD have ever written......lol lol lol

for long beach calif read hastings sussex...yeah right

i can hear it now...please welcome to the stage from bethnal green east looooooondonnnnnnnnn ......

johnah
13th-March-2008, 11:30 PM
I was chatting to Cat and she said there was nothing (in the rules of this comp) to stop teachers from competing at novice level!

Here's the Rules:

Division Qualifications
It is the organisers aim to encourage all competitors to assign themselves to a fair and appropriate classification using the honour system.

Novice Division
Open to any dancer 16 years old and above. However, the following exclusions apply:

1. Anyone who has ever been placed first in either a previous US or UK WCS competition (whether Jack & Jill, Classic, Strictly Swing, Masters, Showcase or any other division).

2. Anyone who teaches WCS classes, workshops or private lessons and receives remuneration for teaching WCS, whether full or part-time.

3. Anyone who has ever competed in a WCS division above Novice level.

Hope this helps.:wink:

robd
4th-April-2008, 04:49 PM
From the latest JA newsletter:

WCS Dance Championships 11-13 April

Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare

A fantastic weekend of workshops, competitions, freestyles and cabaret performances by Top US Professionals

PLUS - a separate 'Smooth' Modern Jive dance floor.

I wonder why the separate floor is thought necessary? I can understand last year was a voyage into the unknown so a split MJ/WCS weekend was less risky but I had expected this year would be all WCS. Then again, if it encourages along people experienced in MJ but who are just starting WCS and maybe aren't confident to freestyle it all weekend then that's no bad thing.

NPR
4th-April-2008, 04:57 PM
I wonder why the separate floor is thought necessary?

Maybe the numbers booked already aren't high enough?

johnah
4th-April-2008, 10:59 PM
From the latest JA newsletter:

WCS Dance Championships 11-13 April

Winter Gardens, Weston-super-Mare

A fantastic weekend of workshops, competitions, freestyles and cabaret performances by Top US Professionals

PLUS - a separate 'Smooth' Modern Jive dance floor.

I wonder why the separate floor is thought necessary? I can understand last year was a voyage into the unknown so a split MJ/WCS weekend was less risky but I had expected this year would be all WCS. Then again, if it encourages along people experienced in MJ but who are just starting WCS and maybe aren't confident to freestyle it all weekend then that's no bad thing.

johnah
4th-April-2008, 11:08 PM
Maybe the numbers booked already aren't high enough?

Higher than last year, and an MJ room was always a consideration if there was a demand. We have the facilities.

All classes throughout the weekend are purely WCS, from beginners to intermediate levels.

Lynn
5th-April-2008, 01:29 PM
Then again, if it encourages along people experienced in MJ but who are just starting WCS and maybe aren't confident to freestyle it all weekend then that's no bad thing.That was exactly what it did for me last year. It took a lot of concentration for me to freestyle WCS and popping into the MJ room every so often for some dances was a way to relax and do some freestyling I felt comfortable with. Also less scary to have a WCS dance with someone I'd had a nice MJ dance with earlier in the evening etc.

Sadly can't get along this time, wish I was going.:(

ALexyMiss
6th-April-2008, 07:24 PM
Anyone want a lift to Weston? :nice:

I'll be leaving from Ealing and going west from there...

Hoping to go either before or after rush hour on the Friday and then come back Monday.

PM me if you're interested!

NPR
6th-April-2008, 11:41 PM
... an MJ room was always a consideration if there was a demand....

I was talking to someone on Friday night who went to Weston last year - they said there was an MJ room then too, but it was mostly empty the whole weekend as everyone was West Coasting.

johnnyman
7th-April-2008, 08:21 AM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to say how excited I am about this weekend and the Jordan and Tatiana event, which I have just confirmed a booking on.

Let's make it another step in the right direction for WCS.

See you on Friday those who are going.

best
johnnyman:respect::clap:;)

Wes
7th-April-2008, 04:59 PM
That was exactly what it did for me last year. It took a lot of concentration for me to freestyle WCS and popping into the MJ room every so often for some dances was a way to relax and do some freestyling I felt comfortable with. Also less scary to have a WCS dance with someone I'd had a nice MJ dance with earlier in the evening etc.

HelenB
8th-April-2008, 12:08 PM
:clap: My ticket's just arrived :clap: - I'm really looking forward to this weekend

And seeing as I'm obviously having a really busy day at work :rolleyes:, *ahem*, here's the timetable for those of you interested...

robd
8th-April-2008, 12:14 PM
Surprised the Open Strictly final precedes the Novice one but guess there must be a reason for this.

It looks like a well balanced timetable that should still allow for plenty of social dancing (and maybe a few cheeky beers after the competing is over each day :innocent: )

Can't wait for Friday :clap:

Northants Girly
8th-April-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Helen

In the classes what's the difference between novice and beginners?

Geordieed
8th-April-2008, 01:37 PM
Surprised the Open Strictly final precedes the Novice one but guess there must be a reason for this.

It looks like a well balanced timetable that should still allow for plenty of social dancing (and maybe a few cheeky beers after the competing is over each day :innocent: )

Can't wait for Friday :clap:

Looking at the schedule it is probably something to do with the time that Classic is danced. Having the Open and Classic divisions back to back would be a big ask. Most of the Classic competitors would come out of the Open Category...

Caro
8th-April-2008, 10:00 PM
In the classes what's the difference between novice and beginners?

I'd assume Novice is one step above beginner.

Caro
11th-April-2008, 09:58 AM
Just realised I haven't got my ticket (I may have received it at home, but I'm away and going directly tonight). Am I in trouble ?

robd
11th-April-2008, 10:13 AM
Just realised I haven't got my ticket (I may have received it at home, but I'm away and going directly tonight). Am I in trouble ?

Probably.

Best give John or Wes a call.