PDA

View Full Version : Monkeying about? ;)

Doc Iain
18th-September-2003, 05:47 PM
oops!

Is your silver backed frame, that of Jambo from the Jersey Wildlife Trust zoo tun by the late, great, Gerald Durrell? If so, or indeed if not, Jambo became famous when a young boy fell into the Gorilla enclosure. The females all rush at him, all ready to tear him apart for landing near their little ones (or so the story goes...) but jambo ran in and in the way of huge gorillas like that er.... pursuaded them that taking the kids away was perhaps a better option than trying to get at the little boy through Jambo. He watch over the boy until he regained conciousness (at which point no doubt he looked up, saw a huge black and silver gorilla looming over him and promptly misplaced his conciousness again!). Well that is how I remember the story anyhow!! Not too far away from the gorilla enclosure was Pico a spider monkey which could only be kept in a small cage...but that is another story.

Incidently, Jambo used to respond to his name being called by all the zoo visitors. :) :waycool:

Doc Iain
18th-September-2003, 05:51 PM
"Jambo?"....
canteening tonight?:cheers:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Doc Iain
"Jambo?"....
canteening tonight?:cheers:

Hooo me? (Sorry couldn't help it:nice: ) I think so, not sure yet:sad: life is intruding at the moment:tears:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 05:57 PM
Not sure of pic is Jambo, but do rememver the story...still makes me go warm for some reason. But Pico?

Doc Iain
18th-September-2003, 06:04 PM
Pico was a spider monkey donated to Gerald durrell by a sailor. He was kept in the dark in a tiny little cage. This seems, and indeed is very sad, and the zoo felt that they had to justify their actions. So next to his little cage is his life story.... He was acquired by this sailor years before when only a baby monkey. The sailor used to travel the world and so his little companion travelled with him. Because of the cramped conditions on board ship he only had a little cage in the sailors dark room. When given to the zoo they tried to introduce him into the main enclosures with the other monkeys but Pico was not having any of it. HAving spent his while life in a cage he would not leave. So they built him a little house that he used to live in the corner of in his little cage. He has a fantastic personality and a great interaction with people. You could hold his hand and he would "talk" back to u when you said his name. Very sad thought that such a wonderful animal should have ot be confined to a cage, but in a way since he knew nothing else that was his home and he was happy there. As far as I know he lived out his days in Jersey under the watchful eyes of Mr Durrell and his companions.
:sorry :tears: :tears:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 06:08 PM
:tears: Just did a bit of research...Jambo died in 1992 :tears: Hope Paris goes better than this.

Dreadful Scathe
18th-September-2003, 06:18 PM
Isnt 'Jambo' swahili for 'hello' ? no wonder he responded to his name he understood swahili :)

Dance Demon
18th-September-2003, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
Isnt 'Jambo' swahili for 'hello' ? no wonder he responded to his name he understood swahili :)

Jambo is Edinburgher for " supporter of Heart of Midlothian Football club"..of which I am one:D .........'mon the Hearts:waycool:

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Jambo is Edinburgher for " supporter of Heart of Midlothian Football club"..of which I am one:D

Oh, its you!

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 01:26 AM
Hiya Doc...love the comoes:what: let me guess, you're an officer in the man from Del Montes' special forces...I mean, there's orange and then there's ORANGE:D Mind you, you're smooth on the dance floor..******* **** ***** ****:tears:

Would have said more than 'hi', but was too focused on a beer and some courage, irrespective of what Ms F-Lady may say about the quantity of my dancing time:nice:

No idea, where you're off to, but have a good one mate, let us know when you're back and I'll say more than hi...might even buy you a beer...never mind that, I might even have the hane of all this Ceroc malarky.

Have a good'un Doc, Steve

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 09:34 AM
A whole thread on monkeys! :tears: :tears: :tears:

My worst nightmare, whatever next?

There's not a Monkeyworld in Paris is there? :what: :really: :sick:

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by Pammy
A whole thread on monkeys! :tears: :tears: :tears:

My worst nightmare, whatever next?

When's your birthday?:innocent: :nice: :grin: :devil:

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
When's your birthday?:innocent: :nice: :grin: :devil:

:what:

I don't have one! :wink:

Doc Iain
19th-September-2003, 04:48 PM
I mean, there's orange and then there's ORANGE:D Mind you, you're smooth on the dance floor
FAB arn't they! Not one for hiding when I go dancing!

Thought that u looked good last night. Stick with it, it does kinnda click into place after a while. Best way to do it though is to dance dance and dance some more. I was lucky, had lots of mates that did it when I started (mostly female) was not allowed not to dance every track each night!

Not sure about being smooth! Does not feel it sometimes!
Was nice to dance with Foxy as usual. And was great also to dance with Helen (she is my comp partner, but has been injured -well still is injured actually, she's having an op in december...)
But we should be there for the May champs... :wink:

Boomer
19th-September-2003, 04:50 PM
Thought that u looked good last night. Sick with it

Oh thanks :tears:

Lounge Lizard
22nd-September-2003, 01:47 PM
As this is a monkey thread here is my top 5 'danceable' monkey tracks

5, Robbie Wiliams - Me and my Monkey
4, I wanna be like you - Big bad Voodoo daddy
3, Oscar brown junior - Signifying monkey
2, KGB band - Aint gonna be your monkey man
1, Bette Midler - One Monkey dont stop no show

Chicklet
22nd-September-2003, 01:49 PM
:eek: how could you miss the divinely shaggable "Monkey Time" by Major Lance???????:confused:

Chicklet
22nd-September-2003, 01:50 PM
och this is Too Much Monkey Business for me to be involved in:D

Lounge Lizard
22nd-September-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Chicklet
:eek: how could you miss the divinely shaggable "Monkey Time" by Major Lance???????:confused:

thought I would leave the shaggable stuff for you chicklet:wink:

Chicklet
22nd-September-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
thought I would leave the shaggable stuff for you chicklet:wink: :cheers: now if I could just learn the damn dance..........:innocent:

Boomer
22nd-September-2003, 08:51 PM

Thought that u looked good last night. Stick with it,

WHISTLEBLOWER!!!!!:what: “Dr tries to cover-up mistake!!! Patients outraged!!1 Patients at an end ( :blush: ) One subscriber sobs “Days used to be (sob-gasp-shriek) you could TRUST a Dr”. The poor, helpless, hapless, hopeless victim of this outrage was unavailable for comment...almost. ‘I’m stunned and shattered:what: , first he publicly announces “I’m sick with it” – doesn’t even tell me what “it” is. That pronouncement left me squashed I tell you:tears:! (That's what I'm standing on Pammy((tm)) that's my squashed hopes that is ) And then he goes all sneaky, and tries to slip it in on the quiet...the change in prognosis that is. Well, I can assure you, lawyers have been contacted, backhanders have been given, and the hatches have been well and truly battened down. It’s those poor people on the other side of the world I feel for:tears: , at least we now have some idea of how this Frankenstein operates’.

The above mentioned deadly,darstadly Doc (who for legal reason must remain nameless) was unavailable for comment.
:innocent:

:nice: :cheers:

Pammy
23rd-September-2003, 09:53 AM
darstadly Doc

If I didn't know you two as well as I do, I'd have thought you'd substituted a letter in the above line too, after perhaps some after thought!

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Doc Iain
23rd-September-2003, 01:54 PM
no no no no no.....Mr Boomer. you have got it all wrong! I admit there was a slight typing error in the first draft! sick did slip in :drool: However I noticed my mistake in a rapid fashion (ie. when it posted) so I thought, ah haaa thats not right, best change that, so I did, there and then. Obviously Boomer was not having anything better to do with his time other than dancing and posting, and dancing does not happen during the day :yum: posted a double speedy reply. When I viewed the new post (ie. corrected) your reply was there. No offence meant!...:na:
as for being sick with anything, I think the weather wold be it at the moment! It was nice and sunny until our exam yesterday, and sometime midway through the afternnon 3 hour session it turned from summer into winter. Was bloody freexing in that exam hall today!!...oh well last written exam at medical school done now! :) Practicals all day thursday and friday then off to the pub and then fall over :rofl: :cheers: