PDA

View Full Version : Leopard Day

straycat
26th-October-2007, 12:20 AM
So tomorrow (actually, today) is it.

Leopard Day.

The day MacOS X 10.5 is released.
I preordered it - so maybe.... just maybe.... it'll turn up tomorrow (today) (not that I'll be able to play, because we're off the the LBF for the weekend, but still)

Can't wait.... I'm such a geek at times :rolleyes:

So who else is waiting impatiently for this one?

pmjd
26th-October-2007, 01:47 AM
Me too. Shipped yesterday but I'm heading off to Blaze this weekend so will just have to wait until I get back on Monday.

So Stray how are you installing it? clean start or the archive and update thing? Never done an OSX upgrade before, so what is the best way to go?

ducasi
26th-October-2007, 08:30 AM
I'm hoping mine will arrive before I leave for Blaze. It's arrived in Glasgow, and I guess will be out for delivery soon...

"Archive and install" is how I plan to install it on my powerbook.

straycat
26th-October-2007, 09:17 AM
Ack - still haven't decided whether to Archive / Install or upgrade. I've got a lot of quite fiddly stuff setup on the machine at the moment (eg a full duplicate of my main webserver environment), and I'm not sure I've got the time to recreate it all - on the other hand, when it comes to computers, I'll all in favour of doing a 'clean start' at regular intervals...

Oh well. I have the weekend to decide. Most likely I'll bite the bullet and do the archive / install route.

ducasi
26th-October-2007, 10:05 AM
Got mine! :clap: :clap:

Now to find out if I can get ready for Blaze before I need to go and play with it! :clap:

Beowulf
26th-October-2007, 11:10 AM
Tch... you're all such a bunch of geeks ;) :na:

Dreadful Scathe
26th-October-2007, 11:22 AM
So tomorrow (actually, today) is it.

Leopard Day.

The day MacOS X 10.5 is released.
I preordered it - so maybe.... just maybe.... it'll turn up tomorrow (today) (not that I'll be able to play, because we're off the the LBF for the weekend, but still)

Can't wait.... I'm such a geek at times :rolleyes:

So who else is waiting impatiently for this one?
go on then - sell it to us...whats the point in upgrading to this version ? :)

David Bailey
26th-October-2007, 11:25 AM
It's New!
It's Shiny!
It's (probably) White!

What more do you want?

straycat
26th-October-2007, 11:26 AM

First you need to prove yourself worthy. Then and only then will we offer you a tantalising glimpse of Leopard's divine secrets. :cool:

David Bailey
26th-October-2007, 11:32 AM
First you need to prove yourself worthy. Then and only then will we offer you a tantalising glimpse of Leopard's divine secrets. :cool:
Oh, I forgot one - it's got a cool name "Leopard". Wooo. Much cooler than "Vista", definitely.

If you buy this upgrade, you will acquire the abilities of a leopard, stalking through the jungle...

straycat
26th-October-2007, 12:02 PM
OK. For the uninitiated - three little Leopard vids for you:

Time machine (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/mac/macosx/2007/wwdc/apple-leopard-time_machine_iref.mov)

The New Finder (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/mac/macosx/2007/wwdc/apple-leopard-finder_iref.mov)

Spaces (http://movies.apple.com/movies/us/apple/mac/macosx/2007/wwdc/apple-leopard-spaces_iref.mov)

Yes they're cheesy, but they should give an idea of the kind of thought that's gone into this release.

Beowulf
26th-October-2007, 01:26 PM
I have to admit .. it looks very cool :)

* I must go and beat myself with a Windows Operating Guide now.....

pmjd
31st-October-2007, 12:38 AM
Got it whilst I was away at Blaze so only got around to starting the install today.

I haven't had a full mess around but so far I'm impressed. Quick look is amazing and works very quickly:waycool: The general speed and responsiveness feels improved over Tiger, less beachball moments. Front row is quicker and has less fancy swirls and more simple and effective transitions.

I did a clean install and used the migration assistant to transfer my old files and programs in, all of which seem fine with the exception of iphoto as all the pictures are there but it can't find the original iphoto library files even though they are there but can't be highlighted:confused:

Cover flow works well too.

Will post more as I play

straycat
31st-October-2007, 10:31 AM
I'm having a mixed experience myself, although most of that is down to some rather ridiculous problems in actually getting my mits on it (TNT refused to hand it over to my partner, because she wouldn't sign with my surname. They even suggested she fake my signature, which she rightly refused to do. Then they didn't want to deliver it to my work address, when I phoned to rearrange delivery. :angry: Eventually they gave in on that one)

Opted for clean install on different partition, and for some reason, the install hung 99% of the way through. Restarted it this morning, and it went without a hitch - I left it transferring 15gig of data when I went off to work.

Had a play with it on one of the machines here though....
Love Coverflow / Quicklook in the Finder. Love the stacks, love Spaces. Love the Finder changes in general. Seems very responsive, very smooth - overall great.

Some little nit-picks - don't like the new system folder icons (the design's fine, but at a glance, they don't look different enough)
Not sure about the new Dock look, but I imagine it'll grow on me.
Don't like what they've done with the icons on Stacks - I seriously hope they've provided a way to customise those.

Overall though, so far I'm verrry impressed. Looking forward to playing some more later this week.

pmjd
31st-October-2007, 11:51 AM
Not sure about the new Dock look, but I imagine it'll grow on me.
Don't like what they've done with the icons on Stacks - I seriously hope they've provided a way to customise those.

Overall though, so far I'm verrry impressed. Looking forward to playing some more later this week.
If it's the 3D look there are a few hacks to change it back to 2D, I have it on the RHS anyway, so it automatically reverts to 2D. Also hacks to get back the black triangles as opposed to the glowing blue dots.

I do agree about the stacks icons, I'm trying to find a way to customise them, and weirdly enough the applications stack wasn't there by default:confused: or have I been reading things wrong.

straycat
31st-October-2007, 12:25 PM
Nice ideas on the stack icon front here (http://www.webomatica.com/wordpress/2007/10/29/cosmetic-leopard-adjustments-dock-menu-bar-stacks/).

I've been glancing at Macosxhints (http://www.macosxhints.com/) as well - some very handy stuff on there.

Tiggerbabe
31st-October-2007, 02:07 PM
I've (finally - thanks TNT! :rolleyes: ) got mine, but I'm not playing with it, till I come back from Splash.

ducasi
1st-November-2007, 12:54 AM
I've been playing with Leopard on my PowerBook for a few days now – not much though, been busy providing lots of TLC – and I'm a little disappointed.

I've come across a number of snags which are really bugging me. E.g., when I use my proxy, the process "PubSubAgent" dies every half hour or so, and the system puts up a dialog asking me to deal with it. I keep losing my Wifi connection too.

There have been a lot of things that have impressed me though. Think it just needs more time to settle down, and I just need more time to get to know it.