PDA

View Full Version : Dancing in Paris...

Pammy
15th-September-2003, 04:14 PM
It was mentioned a while ago on the London forum that a trip to Paris would be a good idea.

I would like to know if any other groups have embarked on such a mission. I personally would consider such a event to be act of social splender:waycool:.

Perhaps next year some time we could arrange something if anyone else is interested:grin:.

It would be really cool to go in a group and dance the night away in another country.

I've heard there is a good place in Paris; good on a Tuesday if I'm right?

Am I alone in this? (probably! :what: )

Px

Daphne
15th-September-2003, 10:07 PM
No you're not alone.... I'll come!! We Jocks could meet you there.....

Boomer
15th-September-2003, 11:15 PM
Next year? Yep, I'd be up for that. Would be nive to leave the centre of the universe every now and then.

Pammy
16th-September-2003, 09:46 AM
Ok, well why don't we plan on a time that won't be too hot, e.g. so it's still out of season and is cheaper, and also it will be nicer dancing temperatures, between March and May.

I think we could get a reasonable B&B/Cheap hotel for say £40 for two nights, plus Eurostar is about £60 or I think with airport taxes we could fly for something like £45-£50. Could be good, a few nice french meals, bit of sightseeing with friends and LOTS OF DANCING :grin:

See how many others we can get together; I can think of a few people who may be interested. Oh and Greg; you don't get a choice; YOU'RE COMING!:wink:

Just promise you won't leave me there!!! :tears:

Px

Doc Iain
17th-September-2003, 03:47 PM
yep count me in!
et parle un peut de francais...

There were a few up for it from London too.... David I think may have some initial plans....not sure.

Spoke to him last night and the London comp. at fulham is going ahead!! :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
17th-September-2003, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Doc Iain
yep count me in!

but we need a tour guide ! anyone know any French people who are also dancers....hmmmm ? :)

Doc Iain
17th-September-2003, 04:35 PM
I think, but don't hold me to this that David when he was thinking about it had something in mind er. where to dance etc. Failing that I have somone that would be willing to scout for us I am sure. She lives there, is fluent etc. etc....

Boomer
17th-September-2003, 04:57 PM
Also, if there is enough interest in the South-East, it may be worth travelling en-masse and trying to get a/the group discount on Eurostar...that's if they do one of course.

Doc Iain
17th-September-2003, 05:33 PM
I like that Idea! Spot the fellow student trying to save money!
:cheers:

Emma
17th-September-2003, 06:31 PM
Count me in! (erm..especially if it involves *food*) :grin:

Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
but we need a tour guide ! anyone know any French people who are also dancers....hmmmm ? :) Ummmm...gosh..if only we could *think* of someone....

Mary
17th-September-2003, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a nice idea. I was doing a job in Paris this time last year, and we stayed in a very reasonably priced hotel in the Montmartre district - all those arty jazz bars and great little restaurants. In fact there were 2 hotels adjoining - the cheap one was an Orbis, and the slightly more expensive one I think was a Mercure (the rooms are the same - just thicker carpets).

I love anything which involves eating great food and drinking good wine!:D:yum:

But do you think Paris is ready for the chip squad yet?:wink:

M

Pammy
18th-September-2003, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Mary

Well, there's only one way to find out:wink: . I have a friend who came dancing recently who lives in Paris so she could scout around for us to find the best deals. I agree it would be good to get a group going so we get a discount.

This could be one hell of a weekend of fun, like Mary says, eating good food, drinking good wine in one of the most beautiful places in the world & dancing the night away. Sounds fantastic!! :grin:

Px

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Mary

M

More to the point, is the Chip squad ready for Paris...The finest wines, the freshest food, the impeccable style and good taste? Could always bring a couple of largers, some deep fried bugs and a scarf to help them feel at home:D

Are the rumours about Paris true, you know the ‘frosty reception for the Englishman who doesn’t parley vous francais’. French not being one of my languages will I be sneered at with 'gallic distain and superiority', or is this just nonsense?

Still want to go either way though:cheers:

Pammy
18th-September-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
More to the point, is the Chip squad ready for Paris...The finest wines, the freshest food, the impeccable style and good taste? Could always bring a couple of largers, some deep fried bugs and a scarf to help them feel at home:D

Are the rumours about Paris true, you know the ‘frosty reception for the Englishman who doesn’t parley vous francais’. French not being one of my languages will I be sneered at with 'gallic distain and superiority', or is this just nonsense?

Still want to go either way though:cheers:

It's ok, we've got months to go, so there's plenty of time for counselling; I'm sure the squad will cope:wink: . I know Sheepy is particularly drawn to garlic and as connisseurs of the finest London restaurants (cough), no seriously, we'll love it!

Actually, (Squad don't listen), but I love France and in particular good french food. The best meal I ever had was with Helen in a restaurant miles from nowhere in Provence that only had two tables and no choice of food (you put your order in 24 hours in advance). Sounds ridiculous for a restaurant, but it was the best food I've ever had.

I speak french (to an acceptable level I think, and so does the Doc) and as we'll all be together, who cares what anyone else things. One for all and all for one and all that stuff.....:wink:

Px

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Pammy

I speak french (to an acceptable level I think, and so does the Doc) and as we'll all be together, who cares what anyone else things. One for all and all for one and all that stuff.....:wink:

Px

Excellent, I can loiter innocuously in the background and focus on the drinking, dancing, eating and drinking – I do love a red wine.:yum:

‘Stream of consciousness’ moment, sorry guys. Best meal.... either fresh trout, cooked on a open-fire, watching the sunset from an island on the Danish coast, washed down with sea-chilled beer or fresh shish-kebabs, 4am in Murmansk, on the coast during White-nights....has to be a tie I think.
:nice:

I think Paris, if it comes of, will be a good’un. Onto Toronto pronto Tonto!

Pammy
18th-September-2003, 10:38 AM
Excellent, I can loiter innocuously in the background and focus on the drinking, dancing, eating and drinking – I do love a red wine.:yum:

What loitor innocuously in your gorilla suit? :wink:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 10:47 AM
:rofl: Far to much Pratchett I’m afraid:D . Have the image of a 400lb gorilla, standing at the back of the group, whistling to itself and sidling here and there trying to go unnoticed. :nice:

Doc Iain
18th-September-2003, 03:44 PM
would def. be a Pratchett moment, hows your climbing of bookcases??.... and can u do a good "oook!"?

I am sure if we so wished (not sure why we would though!) there would be venues suitable for the chip squad. Afterall there would have to be food AFTER dancing too! We just need to find places to dance that is all!...

Iain

Pammy
18th-September-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Doc Iain
would def. be a Pratchett moment, hows your climbing of bookcases??.... and can u do a good "oook!"?

I am sure if we so wished (not sure why we would though!) there would be venues suitable for the chip squad. Afterall there would have to be food AFTER dancing too! We just need to find places to dance that is all!...

Iain

http://danse-a-2.com

There's a place called Club Zed:-

Prix : 8€ avec une boisson (DA2 : vestiaire gratuit)
Musique : 90% Rock, Jazz, 10% Salsa et Salon.
Salle : Cave voûtée.
Piste : Environ 80m² de marbre tout en longueur.
Adresse : 2, rue des anglais - 75005 - Paris
Métro : M° Maubert-Mutualité .

There's another one that looks ok called "Slow Club"

Sounds cool to me!

Px

Doc Iain
18th-September-2003, 05:14 PM

Prix : 8€ avec une boisson
Px

How much do u think it would be if we didn't take a drink! :yum: :rofl:

Boomer
18th-September-2003, 05:19 PM
[B

Prix : 8€ avec une boisson [/B]

:blush: I honestly thought this was refering to some kind of meal..thingy..do-dad..of the bovine type....think I'll just slump off to the corner...carry on everyone...I'm not here:blush: :tears:

Pammy
19th-September-2003, 09:32 AM
:blush: I honestly thought this was refering to some kind of meal..thingy..do-dad..of the bovine type....think I'll just slump off to the corner...carry on everyone...I'm not here:blush: :tears:

:rofl:

It should have read "prix fix 8E avec un gorilla"

Boomer
5th-October-2003, 09:53 PM
Never one to let go of something until it's dead, has anyone given any more thought to this?

DavidY
5th-October-2003, 11:12 PM
Never one to let go of something until it's dead, has anyone given any more thought to this? I'm semi -interested, but I reckon the first thing to do if you wanted to make it happen is to work out the best dates to go. If people have definite dates it can get into diaries - otherwise it's all a bit vague and harder to commit oneself.

I guess you'd want to avoid other dance dates - for instance if you go for Pammy's suggestion of March-May you'd want to avoid Blackpool championships for instance and there must be other things on around that time. What else is going on during March-May?

You'd also need to decide whether it's best to be on a weekend or during the week - no idea which is best myself, but I guess some folk would find it easier to go at weekends, but there might be other reasons to go during the week (??)

Boomer
5th-October-2003, 11:51 PM
Hmmmm, food for thought, will start brain-storming and see what comes up.

Pammy
6th-October-2003, 09:43 AM
Ok, lets grab the bull by the horns...

How about, the second weekend in April, going on the Fri, coming back on the Sunday. That is Fri 9th to Sun 11th?

Anyone having any clashes with that?

I am definitely up for this, even if it's just a small group.:grin:

Pammyx

Sheepman
6th-October-2003, 02:23 PM
It's in the diary, but what date is Camber? that's in April next year.

G

TheTramp
6th-October-2003, 02:24 PM
23-26th April for Camber next year. So looks like you're all set to go for Paris :D

Steve

Divissima
7th-October-2003, 08:59 AM
Sounds like fun - just returned from a big holiday and very keen to line up some more for next year!! I'd quite fancy a weekend in Paris, with un the dansant thrown in - will consult with TwK on dates.

Looking forward to seeing everyone for a dance later this week (might not make Hipsters tonight as am still jet lagged but will see how I go).

Boomer
7th-October-2003, 10:21 AM
These dates seem fine for me, will have to cinfirm with the Uni timetable but it looks like tunderbirds are go!

Sheepman
9th-October-2003, 12:49 PM
How about, the second weekend in April, going on the Fri, coming back on the Sunday. That is Fri 9th to Sun 11th? I'm not deliberately trying to be awkward (as if!), but I'm reliably informed that 9th April is Good Friday (I don't have next year's diary yet). - Visions of French air traffic controllers on strike, queues a mile long at Eurotunnel etc etc. . . .

Greg

Pammy
9th-October-2003, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Sheepman
I'm not deliberately trying to be awkward (as if!),

No deliberately, but you love it all the same :wink: :wink: :wink:

What about the weekend of the 16th then?

If it's ok with Greg, then everyone else can check their diaries :wink: No seriously, is that ok with everyone?

Px

Doc Iain
10th-October-2003, 03:52 AM
will look when I get back sounds good though!

Boomer
10th-October-2003, 01:48 PM
Not a problem for me, but then I don't have a life:tears: study,work,study,work..sleep every now and then:sad:

Pammy
10th-October-2003, 02:17 PM
but then I don't have a life:tears:

Now that you've booked to come away with me; correctamondo :wink:

Boomer
10th-October-2003, 02:35 PM
Now that you've booked to come away with me; correctamondo :wink:

Flights to Scotland (and then France), dancing all weekend, and in Scotland (maybe France too) at that, PAmmy(tm) lurking, ready to pounce on a quite ape with a blues wiggle:what: I have indeed been born in intersting times:tears: Mummy:sad:

....hold on...an Englishman going to France and Scotland:what: Hope nobody knows thier history:sad:

:cheers: :nice:

Pammy
10th-October-2003, 03:35 PM
quite ape with a blues wiggle:what:

Threat or promise? :wink: