PDA

View Full Version : Tango who does ...

tanjive
20th-October-2007, 03:09 PM
At weekenders in the blues room some tangoable tracks often happen and I find I'd like to tango and not know who to ask. It would be nice if the tango forumites could make themselves with their tango experience known here in one place.

I recognise some forum names such as Lynn, Feelingpink, Gav and JonD. Of course in talking about AT how could I forget David James in that list. Without out a picture I won't know them at a weekend though.

I would also add people who have done Jango to green card level as well.:nice:

To start of, as for myself:

I have attended AT classes regularly for nearly 3 years. My jive experience is atleast 7 years.

Finally, I extend an open invitation for any forum person to ask me for a tango at a weekender if the music is suitable.

jive-vee
20th-October-2007, 03:17 PM
Modern jive classes regularly for over 2 and a half years.

Argentine Tango classes - 6 week beginner course back in Jan/Feb, Vincent & Flavia's workshops at Southport in Feb and have been going back to weekly AT classes since September in preparation for next Southport. I'm hoping to get a few AT dances at Southport but am very much a beginner :flower:

rubyred
20th-October-2007, 03:27 PM
My jive experience is atleast 7 years.

Finally, I extend an open invitation for any forum person to ask me for a tango at a weekender if the music is suitable.

Please include me on your dance card, it is always lovely to dance tango and hopefully by next February at Southport I will be a little more accomplished. At the moment I feel like I did starting out as a total beginner dancing so your experience would help me a lot and be very enjoyable.:flower:

Lory
20th-October-2007, 03:56 PM
At weekenders in the blues room some tangoable tracks often happen and I find I'd like to tango and not know who to ask.

:yeah: There must be lot's of us in the same boat. Frustrating, isn't it? :hug:

Ghost
20th-October-2007, 05:45 PM
Jango - Green card
Tango - Since Jan 07

rubyred
20th-October-2007, 06:21 PM
Jango - Green card
Tango - Since Jan 07
what's a green card for, I assume it is a level reached of some sort?:confused:

tanjive
20th-October-2007, 06:58 PM
Jango card system is defined here :

About Jango, Instructors, Jango Card (http://www.jango.co.uk/aboutjango.htm)

Ideally to do any tango in a non progressive floor such as a weekender both partners need to be pretty comfortable with giros and turns and not just walking. You can have a lovely dance just walking but the venues suggested are not condusive as your progress is blocked and need to abruptly change direction with circular steps.

tanjive
20th-October-2007, 07:06 PM
:yeah: There must be lot's of us in the same boat. Frustrating, isn't it? :hug:

Exactly, the motivation for the thread.

We all know everyone jives.

The Westies are a growing number and tend to be spotted in a pack. Usually near a bar. :grin: Just trying to find like tangoistas as they are abit more elusive.

eeyore
20th-October-2007, 07:08 PM
At weekenders in the blues room some tangoable tracks often happen and I find I'd like to tango and not know who to ask. It would be nice if the tango forumites could make themselves with their tango experience known here in one place.

I had the same thought at Breeze, I did weekly AT classes for a year, unfortunately stopped in May as it was proving too hard to get there on time plus I started WCS classes on the same night instead. But I love tango & know very few people at weekenders & freestyles who I could dance with.
It did occur to me reading the wristband debate re Breeze - instead of identifying Utopia only etc, could something like that be used to identify potential partners for different dance styles?? I had the same problem with WCS, it's like a secret society :wink: !

Sugarfoot
20th-October-2007, 07:37 PM
Mandy & I (Ian) teach Tango & Tango for Jivers at most weekenders including all the Southport events…so hopefully most will know who we are.

I sometimes find if frustrating in the blues room when I get asked to dance to a fab track for Tango only to be told “don’t try that Tango stuff on me”.

Any ladies who want to Tango or mix Tango into their dance please ask me. I tend to get asked by the same few which is great, but I am sure there are many more out there. Some say they are too nervous to ask me. I don’t bite and love to discover new dancers. :wink:

;) Even if I am DJing it is nice to be asked. I am sure Mandy feels the same way.

Tiggerbabe
20th-October-2007, 08:34 PM
Are you sure? It doesn't sound like an open invitation to me.

I don't have a green card (live in Scotland :na: ), and the only time I've been to a Tango class was when Stefano and Alexandra were at the Beach Ballroom.

David Bailey
20th-October-2007, 09:26 PM
It is by tango standards.

Yes, it's a bit annoying at MJ venues when the DJ plays what may be the only Tango track of the evening, and you have to either frantically run around trying to find a tango partner, or try to teach your partner tango from scratch in the duration of one track.

But I find the best solution is simply to go to tango venues if you want to dance tango :)

Ghost
20th-October-2007, 09:48 PM

I don't have a green card (live in Scotland :na: ), and the only time I've been to a Tango class was when Stefano and Alexandra were at the Beach Ballroom.
We did some tango when we danced :hug:

It is by tango standards.
:rofl:

Yes, it's a bit annoying at MJ venues when the DJ plays what may be the only Tango track of the evening, and you have to either frantically run around trying to find a tango partner, or try to teach your partner tango from scratch in the duration of one track.
I vividly remember tearing across to one lady who was also heading towards me, only for both of us to be asked to dance by other people (neither of whom knew tango).

But I find the best solution is simply to go to tango venues if you want to dance tango :)
The music sucks though :tears:

Tiggerbabe
20th-October-2007, 10:00 PM
We did some tango when we danced :hug:

I don't doubt it, plus Chef successfully led me into that move that Antonio Banderas did in "Take the Lead" (when the girl kicks her legs up in the air) - no honestly, he did :drool: and I'd never danced with him before. When I danced with Stefano he made me think I was Aleksandra (I would have been really there, if I could only have stolen her shoes :wink: ).

Sugarfoot
20th-October-2007, 10:37 PM

I will Tango with you...no green card required, but American Express will do nicely :rolleyes:

Seriously...I am happy to Tango or fuse Tango into the dance with any follower willing to try. I learn to improve my lead that way. :flower:

rubyred
20th-October-2007, 10:45 PM
When I danced with Stefano he made me think I was Aleksandra (I would have been really there, if I could only have stolen her shoes :wink: ).

Isn't it wonderful when we dance with someone who just inspires us but Sheena you are fabulous.:flower:

Caro
20th-October-2007, 11:47 PM

:yeah:
the look of horror when a tango track comes and you look frantically for a tango partner but realise the only ones there are already taken!!! :tears:

me, ask me please!!!!

Ghost
20th-October-2007, 11:59 PM
:yeah:
the look of horror when a tango track comes and you look frantically for a tango partner but realise the only ones there are already taken!!! :tears:

me, ask me please!!!!

Well...............we could have an "understanding" to partner swap non-tango dancers for tango dancers when tango music comes on :whistle: :devil:

ducasi
21st-October-2007, 11:18 AM
Perhaps there should be some sort of standard signal a DJ could make to alert you all?

spindr
21st-October-2007, 11:34 AM
Not usually such a problem for leads -- we can just start the dance with a balanceo and see how the follower responds -- or just start adding more and more tango content until there's a problem.

It also helps if the follower draws a lapiz when "bored" -- that's usually a bit of a giveaway!

SpinDr

Lory
21st-October-2007, 11:36 AM
Perhaps there should be some sort of standard signal a DJ could make to alert you all?

:yeah: "Could all Tango dancers please assemble by the DJ box, after the next track" :wink::whistle::rofl:

David Bailey
21st-October-2007, 05:31 PM
It also helps if the follower draws a lapiz when "bored" -- that's usually a bit of a giveaway!
There's a new thread idea for you - "How can you tell a Tango Dancer?" :)

robd
21st-October-2007, 05:57 PM
Well, to be fair and finding myself in an unlikely alliance with Mr McGregor for once, if you are attending an MJ event then partners who can tango are likely to be thin on the ground and it is likely to be the luck of the draw whether you get teamed with one for a suitable track. I would suggest maybe watching people dancing when a tango suitable track comes on to identify those who are competent in the dance and making a mental note of their faces for the future. Alternatively get along to something like Funky Lush (assuming there are any more) or similar where you're guaranteed enough tango suitable music to make even DJ's lip curl at the corners forming the slightest semblance of a smile and a likely gathering of people competent in the dance.

Personally I am happy to attempt tango if a suitable track comes on but my limited repertoire (you'd better like ochoes :blush:) bores me silly and that style of music isn't a particular favourite of mine.

Lynn
21st-October-2007, 08:33 PM
Much easier for leads as you can lead most competent MJ followers in some AT I would have thought, but as a follow you need a tango lead.

It also helps if the follower draws a lapiz when "bored" -- that's usually a bit of a giveaway! I do this if I haven't got a partner for a tango track - I stand at the edge and do some adornments - this means I can express the music a little and hopefully is a 'signal' as in 'I want to tango'. I also watch for anyone else doing AT, I've been known to ask someone I don't know but I have seen lead AT for an AT dance if a suitable track comes on.

jive-vee
21st-October-2007, 08:43 PM
Not usually such a problem for leads -- we can just start the dance with a balanceo and see how the follower responds -- or just start adding more and more tango content until there's a problem.

SpinDr

Proof of my beginner AT status - I have no idea what either a balanceo or a lapiz is :confused::blush:

David Bailey
21st-October-2007, 09:42 PM
Proof of my beginner AT status - I have no idea what either a balanceo or a lapiz is :confused::blush:

From here:
Tango Terminology (http://www.tejastango.com/terminology.html)

Balanceo - A deep check and replace.

Lapiz — Pencil: Tracing of circular motions on the floor with the toe or inside edge of the working foot, while turning or waiting on the supporting foot. These may vary from small adornments done while marking time to large sweeping arcs which precede the lady as she moves around the man in molinete.

jive-vee
21st-October-2007, 10:00 PM
From here:

Lapiz — Pencil: Tracing of circular motions on the floor with the toe or inside edge of the working foot, while turning or waiting on the supporting foot. These may vary from small adornments done while marking time to large sweeping arcs which precede the lady as she moves around the man in molinete.

Ah, cheers for that - I think I have actually done both of those then, or at least something very similar.

spindr
21st-October-2007, 10:44 PM
From here:
Well, I was rather thinking of the "huggy" start to a dance -- checking that your partner's taking weight completely and directly over a single foot (either left or right) -- I'm sure I've heard it called a balanceo.
SpinDr

JonD
22nd-October-2007, 09:20 AM
Well, I was rather thinking of the "huggy" start to a dance -- checking that your partner's taking weight completely and directly over a single foot (either left or right) -- I'm sure I've heard it called a balanceo.
Yeah, that's what I understood by the term; changing weight in place. You tend to do it at the start of a dance to make sure you don't kick the follower's foot off when you take the first step. It's one of the first things I was taught.

Much easier for leads as you can lead most competent MJ followers in some AT I would have thought
I don't think I'd go that far! You can lead some AT movements with really competent MJ followers who have no AT experience but it isn't easy. Having said that, if the follower has done even a couple of AT classes (proper ones - not doing the "8 count basic" in a class of 200 people) then they seem to pick up on a lot more stuff.

For the record, I've been dancing MJ for over 7 years and AT for 5 1/2 years. I haven't done an MJ weekender since Southport in June 06 but I may go in February. I'm always happy to dance so feel free to ask me if you see me.

sapphire
22nd-October-2007, 10:33 AM
For the record, I've been dancing MJ for over 7 years and AT for 5 1/2 years. I haven't done an MJ weekender since Southport in June 06 but I may go in February. I'm always happy to dance so feel free to ask me if you see me.

:clap:Yes come to Southport in February! I haven't done much tango but love it. I went to a tango freestyle (yes I am sure that is the wrong terminology) in Bristol on Saturday and had a lovely time. Managed to persuade the tango dancer with whom I went to come to Southport which is good news. Jon, please will you dance some more tango with me before February then I might pluck up the courage to ask some of the people on this thread to dance.:flower:

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 11:12 AM
SpinDr
Yes, thinking about it, I'd assume that the "balanceo" is the weight-change-y bit, and the "cadenzia" (sp?) is the fprward-and-back bit, at least that's the way it's been described to me before.

I'm still not sure how Lynn does either by herself standing at the edge of the floor however... :whistle:

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 11:15 AM
:clap:Yes come to Southport in February!
Unfortunately (from my POV), it looks like the SP weekenders are all more WCS-flavoured at the moment, based on the big-name teachers being advertised.

I was hoping this Feb would see the return of Vincent and Flavia - I'd have definitely booked for it, if it had - but it looks like this is not the case :sad:

In fact, there seem to be fewer AT teachers at MJ weekenders than least year generally, alas.

jive-vee
22nd-October-2007, 12:07 PM
Unfortunately (from my POV), it looks like the SP weekenders are all more WCS-flavoured at the moment, based on the big-name teachers being advertised.

I was hoping this Feb would see the return of Vincent and Flavia - I'd have definitely booked for it, if it had - but it looks like this is not the case :sad:

In fact, there seem to be fewer AT teachers at MJ weekenders than least year generally, alas.

Vincent and Flavia are back in February!!!! :clap::clap:

rubyred
22nd-October-2007, 12:10 PM

Yes that is what I was told by Vincent when I did one of their workshops some weeks ago :clap:

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 01:34 PM
:confused: Am I getting SP's mixed-up then? I vaguely recall reading that the Big Names in Feb were a WCS couple...

sapphire
22nd-October-2007, 01:37 PM
:confused: Am I getting SP's mixed-up then? I vaguely recall reading that the Big Names in Feb were a WCS couple...

I checked the website and Vincent and Flavia are definitely down as being there in February 2008.

jive-vee
22nd-October-2007, 01:37 PM

They've got both - Vincent and Flavia and Benji and Heidi

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 01:48 PM
They've got both - Vincent and Flavia and Benji and Heidi
Ah, fair enough. I don't think V&F were advertised last time I looked.

Hmmmm. I am tempted, but I just get the feeling that SP is getting all WCS-y now. Is that just me?

I really don't want to wander round being snooted at - I can get that at any milonga in London. :grin:

jive-vee
22nd-October-2007, 02:00 PM
Ah, fair enough. I don't think V&F were advertised last time I looked.

Hmmmm. I am tempted, but I just get the feeling that SP is getting all WCS-y now. Is that just me?

I really don't want to wander round being snooted at - I can get that at any milonga in London. :grin:

It can be at times but then Southport is what you make of it. I'd guess it's only WCS-y because there have been a few WCS teachers there, WCSers have found out/know who each other are, WCSable tracks are sometimes played and they ask each other to dance.

This will be the 2nd time AT teachers are at Southport, if we can find out who each other are, ATable tracks are played and we ask each other to dance (bearing in mind the relative AT beginner status of some:blush::whistle:) then surely we can make Southport a MJ weekender that is just as much open to AT as it is to WCS. :clap:

Lynn
22nd-October-2007, 02:03 PM
I don't think I'd go that far! You can lead some AT movements with really competent MJ followers who have no AT experience but it isn't easy. Having said that, if the follower has done even a couple of AT classes (proper ones - not doing the "8 count basic" in a class of 200 people) then they seem to pick up on a lot more stuff. Well you can lead some tangoey stuff at least as a lead at an MJ venue if a suitable track came on, whereas there isn't much a follower can do - though with some leads that I know let me 'play', I take some time and do a few adorments etc.

I haven't done an MJ weekender since Southport in June 06 but I may go in February. I'm always happy to dance so feel free to ask me if you see me.Yes, come in Feb! I haven't gone to the milonga times at the last couple of Southports but I'd definitely come and dance tango if you were there. :flower:

Lynn
22nd-October-2007, 02:13 PM
I'm still not sure how Lynn does either by herself standing at the edge of the floor however... :whistle:I said I did the lapiz....!

I do find it a bit confusing sometimes when an MJ lead does a very tangoey move because I go into my 'wait with weight' on one foot and the lead doesn't realise that and I end up having to do a quick shuffle to get back into MJ mode.

Re SP in Feb. Yes, V&F are definitely there, there will be AT in the dance den and there is a whole latin room where there is no-one WCSing. Plus the main room, and plenty of folk not doing WCS in the blues room.

Basically there is plenty of WCS there for those that want it, and because it caters for WCSers JA give it plenty of profile, but there is also lots of other stuff going on.

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 02:52 PM
I said I did the lapiz....!

I do find it a bit confusing sometimes when an MJ lead does a very tangoey move because I go into my 'wait with weight' on one foot and the lead doesn't realise that and I end up having to do a quick shuffle to get back into MJ mode.

Re SP in Feb. Yes, V&F are definitely there, there will be AT in the dance den and there is a whole latin room where there is no-one WCSing. Plus the main room, and plenty of folk not doing WCS in the blues room.
Blimey, where'd you get all this stuff from? :respect:

Basically there is plenty of WCS there for those that want it, and because it caters for WCSers JA give it plenty of profile, but there is also lots of other stuff going on.
Mmmm. I'd just prefer a more clearly-AT-themed weekender, really, like last year. It seems like the WCS presence is a bit overpowering, it's the latest trend. I just wonder whether it might not be better for me to simply go to an AT weekender instead...

rubyred
22nd-October-2007, 02:57 PM
I just wonder whether it might not be better for me to simply go to an AT weekender instead...

Please post any information you have about an AT weekender, we have some really good ones up here with Tangocheshire. Just missed one in October and the next one should be January.:flower:

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 03:19 PM
Please post any information you have about an AT weekender, we have some really good ones up here with Tangocheshire. Just missed one in October and the next one should be January.:flower:

There's a thread about it here:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/land-1000-dances/8220-tango-weekends-events.html

However, I've a sneaky suspicion the Tango Season is April - September, so I'm not sure if there are many weekenders around this time of year.

Lynn
22nd-October-2007, 04:15 PM
Mmmm. I'd just prefer a more clearly-AT-themed weekender, really, like last year. It seems like the WCS presence is a bit overpowering, it's the latest trend. I just wonder whether it might not be better for me to simply go to an AT weekender instead...Easy for you to say, you're a man, you can just book onto any AT weekender you want. Not so easy for us ladies (and I've tried!).

tanjive
22nd-October-2007, 08:00 PM
This will be the 2nd time AT teachers are at Southport, if we can find out who each other are, ATable tracks are played and we ask each other to dance (bearing in mind the relative AT beginner status of some:blush::whistle:) then surely we can make Southport a MJ weekender that is just as much open to AT as it is to WCS. :clap:

Well JV I am sure you will be much more comfortable with it by next years weekender season. We do have a giggle dancing together anyway :rolleyes:

Thanks for reiterating that we would like to find the AT people buried on the forum.

MartinHarper
22nd-October-2007, 08:01 PM
There's a new thread idea for you - "How can you tell a Tango Dancer?" :)

"She won't step, dangit!"

tanjive
31st-October-2007, 08:42 PM
So are any tangoistas going to Camber in November?

Franco has advertised a milonga on the website. By the time of it not sure if he means free dancing or class.

David Bailey
31st-October-2007, 09:30 PM
Franco has advertised a milonga on the website. By the time of it not sure if he means free dancing or class.
If you mean the timetable here (http://www.jivetime.co.uk/page9.html), I guess it's a class.

And, no - I can get Milonga classes here, I'm not going to drive down to bleedin' Camber to get them... :na:

Sugarfoot
1st-November-2007, 12:43 PM
I haven't done an MJ weekender since Southport in June 06 but I may go in February.

Hi John :)

It would be good to have you there. Things have come on a bit on the Tango front at Southport. do you remember when we put on a Tango CD inthe afternoon in the Blues room and about 3 or 4 couples danced Tango? That was the start of it really. I remember Cat asking me for a Tango (our 1st dance). :yum:

We now have a dedicated Milonga every night in the dance den and it has proved popular. :clap::clap::clap:

JonD
1st-November-2007, 01:40 PM
It would be good to have you there.
It's kind of you to say so! I'm afraid I missed that afternoon session - I think I was sleeping off the effects of one of Animaltalk's lunches. It was a good weekend though and a bunch of us had a fab group private with Ivan Arandia as well as enjoying the milongas. I remember TWK playing a brilliant set in the latin room that was just bliss to dance to.

Pam and I are doing the Jive Addiction holiday in Gran Canaria at the beginning of December and will make a decision about Southport after that. My schedule for next year is getting a bit hectic already: apart from day to day stuff, I'll probably have to go to Malaysia on business again for a couple of weeks toward the end of January (tough life that it is) and I'm plotting to spend the best part of April in Buenos Aires. Fitting in long weekends might be a bit tricky but, as my delegation skills are getting better all the time, all is not lost!

I'll get to Southport in February if I can - I really enjoy the atmosphere there. Mixing MJ and AT together, combined with being able to chat with fellow fanatics, is brilliant!

Sugarfoot
1st-November-2007, 02:14 PM
Pam and I are doing the Jive Addiction holiday in Gran Canaria at the beginning of December

:clap::clap::clap: Mandy & I will be there, so some Tango on and we can catch up.:cheers:

David Bailey
1st-November-2007, 03:16 PM
It was a good weekend though and a bunch of us had a fab group private with Ivan Arandia as well as enjoying the milongas.
:yeah: I've booked for Feb, maybe we can do the same thing with Vincent & Flavia?

Sugarfoot
1st-November-2007, 03:42 PM
:yeah: I've booked for Feb, maybe we can do the same thing with Vincent & Flavia?

Hmm...I will want Flavia all to myself :devil::awe::drool:

Lynn
1st-November-2007, 08:07 PM
I'm going to Gran Canaria and SP in Feb, and I've just started back to AT, so some dances guys please - but be kind to me!

fletch
1st-November-2007, 08:42 PM
Pam and I are doing the Jive Addiction holiday in Gran Canaria at the beginning of December !

:clap::clap::clap: Mandy & I will be there, so some Tango on and we can catch up.:cheers:

guess what :eek:

and me :rofl:

hows the foot :confused::hug:

JonD
1st-November-2007, 08:55 PM
and me
This is going to be a fun holiday!

hows the foot
If that's my foot you're talking about then you have a great memory! It's fine; no problems for ages and ages, thanks. It was damn painful for a bit though. Evidently I'd over-strained the muscles that support the arch with the result that they went all floppy and I ended up with that really sore patch on the ball of my foot.

Sugarfoot
1st-November-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm going to Gran Canaria and SP in Feb, and I've just started back to AT, so some dances guys please - but be kind to me!

:nice: Hey...great Lynn...put me on your list :flower:

Sugarfoot
1st-November-2007, 10:29 PM
guess what :eek:

and me :rofl:

hows the foot :confused::hug:

Hi Fletch...I have a week to get you to Tango & maybe WCS!!!!
What about a bit of scuba diving too???

:confused: Hmm...whos foot are you talking about Fletch, I thought it was mine...but it seems that JonD has been in the Wars too. Hey...if any more guys come on here thinking it was their foot it will look like you are to blame. :rolleyes:

If you were refering to my Sugarfoot, then things are getting better. I am dancing more and more these days trying to keep up with Tango, salsa & WCS. :clap::clap::clap:

jive-vee
1st-November-2007, 10:52 PM

Any idea how much a private is??

Sugarfoot
2nd-November-2007, 12:17 AM
Any idea how much a private is??

If is one on one, the standard rate at weekenders is about £50. This price often stays the same for up to groups of 4. The probem at Southport is that there isn't really anywhere to do it. I have seen teachers running private classes in their chalets. This would not really be possible with Tango.

I will see if I can get a slot in the Blues room in the afternoon playing Tango. Perhaps we can get Vince & Flavia out to play.

I notice you are from Bath. There is good Tango in your area. Worth checking out. :flower:

Lynn
2nd-November-2007, 12:28 AM
If is one on one, the standard rate at weekenders is about £50. This price often stays the same for up to groups of 4. The probem at Southport is that there isn't really anywhere to do it. I have seen teachers running private classes in their chalets. This would not really be possible with Tango.When we had the small group private with Ivan we had it Sun morning (about 10 or 11?) in the blues room when there was a lull in social dancing, that seemed to work well.

Feelingpink
2nd-November-2007, 12:49 AM
Any idea how much a private is??V&F teaching one person for an hour at Southport previously were about £100. I don't know if they would charge similarly for teaching a group.

David Bailey
2nd-November-2007, 08:44 AM
When we had the small group private with Ivan we had it Sun morning (about 10 or 11?) in the blues room when there was a lull in social dancing, that seemed to work well.
It was about 11 as I recall - I remember it well as that was the time I managed to inadvertently Bluetooth my phone into the PA system... :rofl:

Lynn
2nd-November-2007, 08:48 AM
It was about 11 as I recall - I remember it well as that was the time I managed to inadvertently Bluetooth my phone into the PA system... :rofl:I remember that!:rofl:

David Bailey
2nd-November-2007, 03:43 PM
I remember that!:rofl:
How could you forget - the dulcet tones of Mr Long's answer message booming throughout the reception are indelibly embedded in the horror centre of my brain :eek:

jive-vee
2nd-November-2007, 06:35 PM
If is one on one, the standard rate at weekenders is about £50. This price often stays the same for up to groups of 4. The probem at Southport is that there isn't really anywhere to do it. I have seen teachers running private classes in their chalets. This would not really be possible with Tango.

I will see if I can get a slot in the Blues room in the afternoon playing Tango. Perhaps we can get Vince & Flavia out to play.

I notice you are from Bath. There is good Tango in your area. Worth checking out. :flower:

Thanks - they were certainly up for playing last Feb. I got a dance with Vincent :clap: but just jive as I didn't know enough AT at the time to brave it...possibly still don't but am willing to try haha.

Yeah the Tango class I go to is in Bath on a Friday with Issie and the lovely Eduardo.

Sugarfoot
6th-November-2007, 12:01 AM
It can be at times but then Southport is what you make of it. I'd guess it's only WCS-y because there have been a few WCS teachers there, WCSers have found out/know who each other are, WCSable tracks are sometimes played and they ask each other to dance.

:grin: Last Feb when V&F were teaching I DJd the Milonga in the Dance Den. there were more Tango dancers than WCS dancers at their respective slots in the Den. I think you will also find that some of the WCS dancers also dance a bit of Tango. I am sure this will be repeated at the coming Feb Southport. Although you do have to make a bit of effort to drag yourself 20 yards from the Blues room to support it. :rolleyes:

Smiley Sue
6th-November-2007, 12:33 AM
Tango me anytime:yum:
I'm also a Westie who hasn't stopped jiving (a dying breed:rofl:) (though I do prefer my MJ smooth & slotted if poss:whistle:)
And I'm a beginner at Lindy:clap:

Just lead me, that's all I ask:flower:
SueX:)

tanjive
17th-June-2008, 09:47 PM
As tango seems to be mentioned abit, I thought I would raise the profile of this again as it has been a while.

Rachel
18th-June-2008, 04:27 PM
V&F teaching one person for an hour at Southport previously were about £100.OMG £100! Worth it, I'm sure, but not exactly feasible. Think I'll stick to DavidJames & Christopher as personal tutors - they're much cheaper to run, and so much less intimidating!

Rachel

JonD
18th-June-2008, 04:59 PM
Steve Morrall is offering a "Tango Bursary (http://www.tangouk.co.uk/bursary.htm)" which might be of interest to the leaders out there.

£100 an hour? I'd pay it, and more, for a private with some teachers but not with Vincent & Flavia. Perhaps Miguel Angel Zotto, Juan Carlos Copes (if he's still teaching) or Fabian Salas. £100 would be cheap if you got Gustavo Naviera & Giselle Anne or Julio Balmaceda & Corina de la Rosa teaching together.

I was watching this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYefYkUDms) of Miguel Zotto last night and thought "Wow, he'd love Southport"! I might just email him and see if he'd be interested in talking to John & Wes. If Tango Por Dos are in London next February he might think about making the trip and it looks like he'd have a blast! Now that would be something .... having one of the very, very, very best AT dancers in the world mixing it up in the Blues Room!

Think I'll stick to DavidJames & Christopher as personal tutors - they're much cheaper to run, and so much less intimidating!
Rachel - I'm cheaper than cheap and not the teeniest bit intimidating. Can I be your personal close-embrace tutor?

Rachel
18th-June-2008, 05:13 PM
Steve Morrall is offering a "Tango Bursary (http://www.tangouk.co.uk/bursary.htm)" which might be of interest to the leaders out there.Very interesting ...!

£100 an hour? I'd pay it, and more, for a private with some teachers but not with Vincent & Flavia. Perhaps Miguel Angel Zotto, Juan Carlos Copes (if he's still teaching) or Fabian Salas. £100 would be cheap if you got Gustavo Naviera & Giselle Anne or Julio Balmaceda & Corina de la Rosa teaching together.Oh yes, I'm sure it's great value for money with the right teachers. But if one of you works for a charity and one works for Ceroc with a huge and expensive addiction to itunes and lighting apparel, it's a lot of money to justify.

I was watching this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYefYkUDms) of Miguel Zotto last night and thought "Wow, he'd love Southport"! I might just email him and see if he'd be interested in talking to John & Wes. If Tango Por Dos are in London next February he might think about making the trip and it looks like he'd have a blast! Now that would be something .... having one of the very, very, very best AT dancers in the world mixing it up in the Blues Room!It's so annoying not being able to see UTube at work ... But seeing these people 'live' would be amazing!

Rachel - I'm cheaper than cheap and not the teeniest bit intimidating. Can I be your personal close-embrace tutor?Now that, I'd love. :grin: I need all the practice and advice I can get! But I just never see you ...:tears:

Rachel x

mshedgehog
18th-June-2008, 09:59 PM
V&F teaching one person for an hour at Southport previously were about £100. I don't know if they would charge similarly for teaching a group.

Woowwww!! :eek:

I'd say that's very expensive. No guide at all to what you should expect to pay for private lessons from good teachers in London.

For example, Paul and Michiko (http://www.elonce.dircon.co.uk/html/private_class.html) - I don't know exactly what they charge but I'm certain from what I've heard that it's a LOT less than £100 for a couple, and they dance AT a hell of a lot better (for my personal concept of 'better') than Vincent and Flavia.

As another example, I have booked myself into four of these group classes (http://www.tangoinaction.com/dispari.htm) with Jorge Dispari and Maria del Carmen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIk7fW4IWKM), in London over this weekend. They are are actually genuinely big names in AT, as opposed to people no-one I know in the AT scene has ever seen or heard of but who have been on TV a lot (I'm sure V&F are very nice people and teach well). Total cost to me: £80. For £150 I could have done all eight classes, but I would have died of exhaustion. (I am told that Maria del Carmen is the mother of Geraldine Rojas (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xx3ErNlkh24) - I think he is stepfather rather than father, but I don't remember where I heard that and it could be just wrong.)

Teachers who tour, will tour anywhere there is a market. I'm sure that lots of the London teachers would be willing to spend some weekends teaching in other towns and venues.

David Bailey
19th-June-2008, 09:05 AM
I'd say that's very expensive. No guide at all to what you should expect to pay for private lessons from good teachers in London.
Yeah, V&F were just cashing in on their celebrity. And let's face it, most people would only pay that much to take a private so that they could casually mention it in conversation at dinner parties.

(Which, admittedly, is the same reason I shelled out £20 for a only-average class with Pablo Veron at Negracha a while back... :blush: )

I think the going rate for privates - depending on venue - is around £40 per hour. Bianca of Ro charges about £60 including hire, or about £45 at her place, and I think she's more expensive than normal. However, I'm sure some hard bargaining with most teachers might get that down a bit, especially if you're looking for a series of privates.

David Bailey
19th-June-2008, 09:08 AM
I was watching this clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXYefYkUDms) of Miguel Zotto last night and thought "Wow, he'd love Southport"! I might just email him and see if he'd be interested in talking to John & Wes.
I suspect David & Kim have a lock on SP for the forseeable, but you never know. Blimey, I'd make the trip if he did.

Rachel - I'm cheaper than cheap and not the teeniest bit intimidating. Can I be your personal close-embrace tutor?
Oi, get you mitts off her! :na:

JonD
19th-June-2008, 09:41 AM
I have booked myself into four of these group classes with Jorge Dispari and Maria del Carmen
And I'm insanely jealous! I don't know what they're like as teachers but they are wonderful dancers - a true milonguero and milonguera. What a treat! Sadly, I can't drop everything and come up to London this weekend. Please let us know how it goes and what how they teach - I'd love to just watch them for 8 hours!

mshedgehog
20th-June-2008, 12:08 AM
And I'm insanely jealous! I don't know what they're like as teachers but they are wonderful dancers - a true milonguero and milonguera. What a treat! Sadly, I can't drop everything and come up to London this weekend. Please let us know how it goes and what how they teach - I'd love to just watch them for 8 hours!

The first one today was really valuable and well structured and was all about the embrace. I took notes as best I could on the train home, but it's well past my bedtime now. I'll blog it, but maybe not till the weekend.

They were very kind and friendly. The teaching included very conscientious observation of all the leaders individually, and encouraging, specific, constructive criticism of each. The class was delivered entirely in Spanish; Stefano interpreted. The interpretation was a little patchy, but my thin smattering of relevant Spanish, together with their expressive gestures and clear demonstrations, was more than enough for getting the gist. I don't really speak Spanish but I can follow Jorge Dispari talking about the embrace at least as well as your basic Portugese footballer can follow Alex Ferguson talking about football.

mshedgehog
20th-June-2008, 12:16 AM
Just in response to a private message from someone, you do NOT, in my experience, ever need to bring a partner to a tango class. For classes that must be pre-booked and where there's likely to be a gender imbalance, they may ask you to take one class rather than another, or they may give priority to people who book as a pair to even up the numbers, but if you do book as a pair you will not be expected to dance exclusively with that person. And they will virtually always be OK with small imbalances. You never need to bring a partner to a drop-in or a beginners' class.

The usual mode of teaching is directed at social dancing and you are expected to change partners continuously through the class. Some teachers will let those who wish to stay with one partner, do so, but some discourage it as being bad for your dancing and kind of defeating the point of what is truly a social dance.

mshedgehog
22nd-June-2008, 01:11 AM
Please let us know how it goes and what how they teach - I'd love to just watch them for 8 hours!

Right - here's my account, as detailed as I could make it.
Los Dispari 1 (Essential Elements of the Tango Villa Urquiza style: posture, embrace and elegance - All Levels Class) (http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/2008/06/los-dispari-1-essentials-of-villa.html)
Los Dispari 2 (Essence of Milonga Walk - All Levels Class) (http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/2008/06/los-dispari-2-essence-of-milonga-walk.html)

Summary: No 'moves', it was all about getting us to do the really simple stuff, properly. I am right behind this and I think it's exactly the point of getting the big guns in.

Oops, 3 posts in a row from me, I'll wrap the prickles round and go to bed now. zzzzzzzz

mshedgehog
26th-June-2008, 08:49 PM
how it goes and what how they teach

And here are Classes 3, 6, and 7 - walking and turns (http://mshedgehog.blogspot.com/2008/06/los-dispari-3-6-and-7-walking-and-turns.html).

JonD
27th-June-2008, 06:02 PM
Excellent reviews - thank you! It sounds like I'd love their teaching; I'll try to get to some of their classes either in the UK or the next time I go to BsAs.

It's a shame you didn't get more on followers' technique from Maria. I love it when the teachers are an even partnership, not least because it gives us leaders a break! Maybe that's a hallmark of the younger teachers. Hopefully Tango In Action will get Julio & Corina over soon.

mshedgehog
27th-June-2008, 09:33 PM
Hopefully Tango In Action will get Julio & Corina over soon.

They've got the Paludis later this year (Ezequiel & Geraldine - also known as Geraldine Rojas) - 18th-21st September (http://www.tangoinaction.com/home.htm).

rubyred
1st-July-2008, 12:23 AM
Just wondering if anyone on here is going to Morzine next week?:flower:

JonD
1st-July-2008, 12:48 AM
They've got the Paludis later this year ... - 18th-21st September.
I'd spotted that. Oooh - could I really get to dance with Geraldine? She's the best; just fabulous. I'd be absolutely terrified if she was prepared to dance with me. I'll probably come up for some of their workshops and try not to come over all shy and bumbling if she speaks to me!

It's going to be a busy September - I think Fernando & Tara are doing an "advanced level" small group (8 couples) intensive weekend on the 6/7th, it's Southport the weekend after that, the Paludis the next weekend then the Tango Tangk milongas on 27/28th.

Just wondering if anyone on here is going to Morzine next week?
Not me. Is that with Charles who teaches in Eton? If so, I hear it's a good trip. I like Charles and admire the way he dances.

rubyred
1st-July-2008, 12:56 AM
It's going to be a busy September - I think Fernando & Tara are doing an "advanced level" small group (8 couples) intensive weekend on the 6/7th, it's Southport the weekend after that, the Paludis the next weekend then the Tango Tangk milongas on 27/28th.

Not me. Is that with Charles who teaches in Eton? If so, I hear it's a good trip. I like Charles and admire the way he dances.

I am not around for the Tango Tangk dates, but will do one of these events one day, and am definitely out of my class for the 6/7th dates.

For Morzine I believe the teachers from Argentina are Monica Romero, Omar Ocampo and Maria y Carlos Rivarola. There is a couple from France Richard Manuel and Pauline Riebell.

JonD
1st-July-2008, 01:42 AM
I am not around for the Tango Tangk dates, but will do one of these events one day, and am definitely out of my class for the 6/7th dates.
The Tangks are great fun and very sociable but it's quite a big group and I find the spread of ability levels a bit frustrating as you move round to different partners. The small group workshops are, I think, better for learning but more exhausting - I've just written a review (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/483107-post1457.html) of last weekend. I think Fernando & Tara are going to do an "improver/intermediate" small group weekend on 30/31 August but that's not confirmed yet.

I've just had a look at the Morzine festival (http://www.tangomorzine.com/EnglishSite/home.html) site and it looks great; good teachers! You'll have a fabulous time. It's not the Morzine trip I was thinking of though - Charles from Thames Valley Tango runs a tango holiday (http://www.thamesvalleytango.co.uk/events_holidays.htm) in Morzine in August.

DianaS
16th-July-2008, 11:33 AM

SpinDr

LOL it is a give away
Uhmm i've been developing tango for 2 years so please assk me if you spot m about

tanjive
22nd-August-2008, 07:36 PM
Just wondering, who of the tango clan will be on the tango floor at Southport Sept 08, luv a milonga :waycool:

Bibi
24th-August-2008, 09:39 AM

Yes - true, but the music at most venues (other than Tango ones) do play/experiment different genres of music .... so bonus to Tango to Tango tracks.

Just wondering, who of the tango clan will be on the tango floor at Southport Sept 08, luv a milonga :waycool:

I will! But only been doing AT now for a couple of months (actually, not even sure if I qualify to be a part of the Tango Clan). Yes, hoping that I will get invited to dance ... the thought of being a Planchadora ..... :eek: oh well, we have to start somewhere

:flower:

Lynn
24th-August-2008, 09:48 AM
I will! But only been doing AT now for a couple of months (actually, not even sure if I qualify to be a part of the Tango Clan). Yes, hoping that I will get invited to dance ... the thought of being a Planchadora ..... :eek: oh well, we have to start somewhere That's the nice thing about the Southport milongas - its all MJers who you may have already danced MJ with at some point in the weekend so you can ask them as well. Though I do still tend to wait to be asked.

And a few months is fine - just float and follow. I hadn't done AT for almost a year at the last SP - and not only did I have some lovely dances, but the feedback from some of the leads, encouraging when I said I felt rusty, asking for repeat dances etc - was delightful.

rubyred
25th-August-2008, 08:46 PM
I really enjoy listening to tango music, and over this bankholiday weekend have danced with some lovely leaders to music by Otros Aires. I have just been taken over by the musicality and connection that ensues from the playfullness, sexiness and romantic passion I have heard in their compositions. Just WOW to dance to. :love:I am sure there are more inspirational bands out there.....anyone care to oblige with their favourites?

David Bailey
25th-August-2008, 10:28 PM
I really enjoy listening to tango music, and over this bankholiday weekend have danced with some lovely leaders to music by Otros Aires. I have just been taken over by the musicality and connection that ensues from the playfullness, sexiness and romantic passion I have heard in their compositions. Just WOW to dance to. :love:
Otros Aires are great - I saw them in concert in Clapham a few months back, they were even better live.

Now that was a packed venue - tiny dance floor, 200+ dancers on it. Literally moving inches forwards and back. Great night.

:I am sure there are more inspirational bands out there.....anyone care to oblige with their favourites?
I've got a set of music here some of which may appeal:
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Music.html

Oh, and the playlist from the June Southport is here:
http://www.jivetango.co.uk/Music/Southport.html