PDA

View Full Version : Who are you? .... pictures MIA

tanjive
20th-October-2007, 01:06 PM
I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile. There are a 40/50 regular posters of 1000+ messages but maybe half have a recognisable picture. These numbers are a guess.

I am sure alot of people only see other forumites at weekenders maybe 4-6 times a year so it would be nice to recognise a forum person in a crowd. I know there have at some weekenders forumite meets but unless the sticky label thing catches on, it is not easily to find someone you have found interesting discussions with online.

I am not an advocate of forcing everyone to have a photo. There can be personal reasons not to have a self portrait here. I am not a member of the passport picture police either where x amount of the frame is you, but a person should be recognisable without a magnifying glass in a dance pose.

My hope is this post motivates a few more people posting some pics, after all your not afraid of sharing your opinions. :nice:

I am no oil painting after all so what.

StokeBloke
20th-October-2007, 05:35 PM
I love that picture of you ... how do you get your aftro that square and shiney? :flower:

David Bailey
20th-October-2007, 09:21 PM
I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile.
Err... Why?

Dreadful Scathe
20th-October-2007, 09:32 PM
I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile.

No. You should not :) Thats silly logic :)

Double Trouble
20th-October-2007, 09:38 PM
I If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile.

It's alright for the beautiful ones like me and you tanjive:wink:but what about the John Merrick lookalikes? and lets face it, we have the lions share on this forum. :na:

rubyred
20th-October-2007, 10:32 PM

Hi hun I am still a technophobe and confess I have still to learn how to do all that stuff. See I can't even get the hang of this multi quoting thingy.:what:

I am sure alot of people only see other forumites at weekenders maybe 4-6 times a year so it would be nice to recognise a forum person in a crowd. I know there have at some weekenders forumite meets but unless the sticky label thing catches on, it is not easily to find someone you have found interesting discussions with online.

At weekenders why don't you come along to the forum gatherings or the bbq at Southport. Have a t shirt printed with your forum name I find that helps me remember. Plus when I am dancing with someone I may just say 'are you on the forum'' and they say 'forum??:confused:' which one:whistle:

I am not an advocate of forcing everyone to have a photo.

that's good to know:flower:

My hope is this post motivates a few more people posting some pics, after all your not afraid of sharing your opinions. :nice:

Looks are in the eyes of the beholder and the eyes are the windows to the soul. Personality much more important.:clap:

I love that picture of you ... how do you get your aftro that square and shiney? :flower:
Stokie you are a one !:rofl::rofl:Looking forward to seeing you at Sunday Squeeze tomorrow and the Stokie one armed bandit move in front of that mirror.... has anyone got a camera?:flower:

Dreadful Scathe
21st-October-2007, 10:58 AM
what a very weird quote style you have :confused:

MartinHarper
21st-October-2007, 12:05 PM
Err... Why?

He already gave his reasons:

I am sure a lot of people only see other forumites at weekenders maybe 4-6 times a year so it would be nice to recognise a forum person in a crowd. I know there have been forumite meets at some weekenders but unless the sticky label thing catches on, it is not easy to find someone you have had interesting discussions with online.

David Bailey
21st-October-2007, 05:32 PM
Fair enough, I didn't spot that.

Personally, I'm not keen on meeting people as "forumites", I'd rather meet people as people.

I suspect I'm on my own with that approach, however.

Double Trouble
21st-October-2007, 05:35 PM

Nope. In fact the most interesting people I met at Southport were NOT on the forum.

tanjive
21st-October-2007, 06:23 PM
If I am typical most people here like to have the best dance they can while having fun and being sociable etc. I have assumed if on this forum you have a greater interest in MJ then most social dancers. If been on here a while (using the number of posts as a proxy) you are likely to be better than average. Hence if I can recognise people from here I can find recognise some good dancers.

I can spot good dancers in a crowd but it would be ridiculous to keep asking are you on the forum. Who wants to hear that all the time, or answer "What forum?" 20x a night.

Anyway given all the aftermath threads it would be nice to provide some positive feedback on whom I find wonderful to dance with. :nice: Surely that is to the benefit of all if we all aim to find a perfect dance at some point.

Personally, I'm not keen on meeting people as "forumites", I'd rather meet people as people.

I bet you are happy to make a reaquaintance with people from the forum whether you first met them on here or not.

tanjive
21st-October-2007, 06:28 PM
You are of course right DT you can meet interesting people dancers or otherwise at any point. I was just pursuing one angle that is available.

spindr
21st-October-2007, 07:09 PM
You are of course right DT you can meet interesting people dancers or otherwise at any point. I was just pursuing one angle that is available.
There's more than one way to skin a cat...
...super-glue and a sander (http://www.facebook.com/s.php?k=100000004&id=11971740321&gr=2)
SpinDr

David Bailey
21st-October-2007, 08:12 PM
I bet you are happy to make a reaquaintance with people from the forum whether you first met them on here or not.
You don't know me that well, do you? :rofl:

Seriously, if you want that sort of information, I recommend looking at / contributing to this thread:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/private-lounge/1738-whos-who-post-picture.html

Dreadful Scathe
21st-October-2007, 10:11 PM

Yeah but they're not good enough reasons that people "should post a recognisable picture" - its up to the individual to decide for themselves....there is no "should"

MartinHarper
21st-October-2007, 11:52 PM
Seriously, if you want that sort of information, I recommend looking at / contributing to this thread:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/private-lounge/1738-whos-who-post-picture.html

I think the argument for having a self-image in one's profile, in addition to that thread, is one of convenience.

Yeah but they're not good enough reasons

What are your reasons for not having a profile picture of yourself?
Are they good enough?

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2007, 08:14 AM
I think the argument for having a self-image in one's profile, in addition to that thread, is one of convenience.

What are your reasons for not having a profile picture of yourself?
Are they good enough?
my reasons are : its entirely my business whether I add a picture to my profile or not . Are they good enough for you ;)

MartinHarper
22nd-October-2007, 09:43 AM
my reasons are : its entirely my business whether I add a picture to my profile or not

That's not really a reason in itself.

How come you don't want to add a picture?

Gus
22nd-October-2007, 10:11 AM
That's not really a reason in itself.

How come you don't want to add a picture?

Surely you need a reason for an action, not an inaction? :confused:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2007, 10:20 AM
very true :) he may as well ask me why I've not bothered starting a thread on the subject of the existence of unicorns

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 10:23 AM
very true :) he may as well ask me why I've not bothered starting a thread on the subject of the existence of unicorns
Well?

Why haven't you?

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2007, 10:36 AM
Well?

Why haven't you?
Ive been too busy stressing over my split ends to think of it :)

MartinHarper
22nd-October-2007, 10:52 AM

Both action and inaction can have reasons attached. For example, "why haven't you done your homework?" or "How come you haven't phoned recently?".

Given Scathe's criticism of tanjive's reasons, I think it's instructive to compare them with his own.

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2007, 10:59 AM
Both action and inaction can have reasons attached. For example, "why haven't you done your homework?" or "How come you haven't phoned recently?".

Given Scathe's criticism of tanjive's reasons, I think it's instructive to compare them with his own.
Well I dont ;) and as my main criticism was the use of the word "should" regarding pictures, I think thats an appropriate response. In other words, if I choose to make my reasons known - assuming there even are any - for not having a picture, thats entirely up to me.

ducasi
22nd-October-2007, 11:06 AM
I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile. There are a 40/50 regular posters of 1000+ messages but maybe half have a recognisable picture. These numbers are a guess.
While I have my photo on my profile, I think it's entirely up to each individual to decide whether they want to use a photo or not.

I'm not sure though whether the regular posters will feel the need to put up their pictures just because someone who's posted 11 times in 8 months says they should. (This statement is just a guess.)

bigdjiver
22nd-October-2007, 11:31 AM
I am aiming this at posters who post atleast 200 posts. If you have spent the time to post that much then surely you should post a recognisable picture in your profile...I go to a dance to dance, and I do not get enough dancing. I come onto this forum to learn, and to test my ideas. The only reason I might would have for talking to most forumites in person would be to discuss dance moves and style points, where a practical demonstration is much better than text. I would only seek out that opportunity if I thought I could contribute as much, or more, than I was receiving.
I really cannot see how my picture would add to anybody else's enjoyment.

sunnybunny
22nd-October-2007, 12:39 PM

I am not an advocate of forcing everyone to have a photo. There can be personal reasons not to have a self portrait here. I am not a member of the passport picture police either where x amount of the frame is you, but a person should be recognisable without a magnifying glass in a dance pose.

My God, talk about “light blue touch paper” ……. :eek:

Whilst I agree that maybe using the word “should” in your original post was a bit of a mistake (red rag to several bulls, evidently) I do agree with you that it would be nice to occasionally be able to put a face to a name at a freestyle or weekender.

However, I would guess that it is precisely because there is a degree of anonymity, that some posters feel they can express some of the opinions that they do. My experience in lurking a lot and not posting very much, has led me to the conclusion that there are quite a few egos and agendas floating about on here and that you have inadvertently touched a nerve.

Fortunately, there are a lot of forumites who aren’t quite so touchy, and I for one would be delighted to say hello and have a dance should our paths ever cross. :grin:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-October-2007, 12:56 PM
My experience in lurking a lot and not posting very much, has led me to the conclusion that there are quite a few egos and agendas floating about on here and that you have inadvertently touched a nerve.

and an erroneous conclusion that probably is too - which is a very good reason to not have your photo associated with your misconstrued forum persona ;)

David Bailey
22nd-October-2007, 01:28 PM
and an erroneous conclusion that probably is too - which is a very good reason to not have your photo associated with your misconstrued forum persona ;)
Go on, you'll be telling us you're not really a Smurf next :rolleyes:

Beowulf
22nd-October-2007, 02:05 PM
hehe.. I challenge ANYONE to identify me from either my profile pic or my WHo's Who pic !!
(http://www.cerocscotland.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=1052&ppuser=485)

:rofl::rofl:

tanjive
22nd-October-2007, 07:46 PM
Well flame me for the wrong choice of one word. Oh sorry that bus has gone!

I have justified my motives enough. I agree there are some valid reasons why one might not want to have a picture here and explicitly stated I would not vote to force everyone to have a picture. I just think those reasons do not account for what we can see.

Bigdjiver don't you think someone might seek you for advice in the same way that you might ask others?

rubyred
22nd-October-2007, 07:58 PM
what a very weird quote style you have :confused:
I know its unique innit:flower: