PDA

View Full Version : Gus's Birthday Freestyle

Gus
14th-September-2003, 12:42 PM
Well, if you are free for Saturday 4th October and you fancy seeing the UK Champion Cabaret Team (Ceroc Scotland):waycool: , come along to my Birthday Freestyle at Northwich Memorial Hall, Cheshire (8miles North of Crewe).

Full details will be posted on the www.ggus.co.uk website but the highlights will be
Invading hordes from Ceroc Scotland
Invited top dancers from London
The crème of the North West's dancers and Instructors (incl Lovely Roy and Helen Zambas!)
DJs Gus and Big A (aka PunkFish) on the decks
HUGE dancefloor

If you want any further info, please PM or email me.

Neil
14th-September-2003, 03:37 PM
Sounds good, Gus - specially the bit about the 'invading hordes' :)

I shall do my damnedest to be there!

:cheers:

Neil

Tiggerbabe
22nd-September-2003, 10:05 PM
Anybody else fancy the journey down to Northwich?

There's 12 of us from Dundee (and surrounding areas) plus Lou (our team photographer and cheerleader :wink: ).
I've a sneaky suspicion Chickie DD is trying to make it and Lisa's hoping to manage down from Aberdeen.

Looking forward to it and hopefully we'll have remembered how the routine goes by then :wink:

Emma
22nd-September-2003, 10:08 PM
Erm, me and Claire are heading up the 'Southern Jessie' department :grin:

Dammit..come to think of it Claire's a northern girl..so..that'll be *me* heading up the 'Southern Jessie' department all alone!! :wink:

Dreadful Scathe
22nd-September-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Sheena
Anybody else fancy the journey down to Northwich?

I didnt know anything about it - may have seriously considered it - wheres the nearest train station? what postcode so i can check multimap ? :)

Looking forward to it and hopefully we'll have remembered how the routine goes by then :wink:

You may have to do it for the 2nd year running at Scottish Comp :) sounds like theres a lack of entries :(.

muttered by Emma
that'll be *me* heading up the 'Southern Jessie' department all alone!!

Gotta play to your talents havent you ? :) Technically though, everyone South of Carlisle is a "Southern Jessie", so you'll be in good company :) :D.

Tiggerbabe
22nd-September-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Dreadful Scathe
I didnt know anything about it - may have seriously considered it - wheres the nearest train station? what postcode so i can check multimap ? :)

Dunno the postcode of the venue but the postcode for the Premier Lodge where we are staying is CW8 2DN.

Originally posted by Emma
Erm, me and Claire are heading up the 'Southern Jessie' department

Excellent! Invading Hordes and Southern Jessies - there's gonna be one he** of a post-party party in that travelodge afterwards :wink:
(note to self - pack pink-camo party pj's ):D

Gus
22nd-September-2003, 10:42 PM
Excellent! Invading Hordes and Southern Jessies - there's gonna be one he** of a post-party party in that travelodge afterwards :wink:
(note to self - pack pink-camo party pj's ):D

Can I gatecrash the party :wink: :wink:

Current plan is to meet up with you guys on Saturday if you need guideing round dens of iniquity ....or shopping.

Depending what time you're leaving on Sunday, got a fair few of the locals would like to meet up with you for lunch ..... good idea?

Anyone else who fancies making it ... just PM me for deatils ... or look on the website ... FINALLY got the thing updated!

Just think ... not only the UK Cabaret champions but also JIVEMASTER FINALISTS at my humble venue ..... will be one hell of a party nite!:grin:

Tiggerbabe
22nd-September-2003, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Can I gatecrash the party :wink: :wink:
I'm sure you can!!!!

Current plan is to meet up with you guys on Saturday if you need guideing round dens of iniquity ....or shopping.
Drinking or shopping - heavens no! they will be rehearsing

Depending what time you're leaving on Sunday, got a fair few of the locals would like to meet up with you for lunch ..... good idea?
Great idea! We *like* lunch.

will be one hell of a party nite!:grin:
And the lovely Roy'll be there *swoon* - you couldn't find the mystery blue shirted man too could you Gus?

DavidY
22nd-September-2003, 11:55 PM
In case Gus hasn't responded to you on this - I think it's CW9 5QJ and the hall even has its own web page. (http://www.valeroyal.gov.uk/leisure/northwich_memorial_hall.html)

I hope to be another Southern Jessie turning up to Northwich, as long as I don't mix up my 'wich's and go to the nearby Nantwich dance which confusingly has a similar place name and is on the same night :devil: :devil:

Emma
23rd-September-2003, 08:40 AM
I didnt know anything about it - may have seriously considered it - wheres the nearest train station? what postcode so i can check multimap ? :)That does it - you are *expected* to attend! :grin:
Gotta play to your talents havent you ? :) Everybody needs a USP! :wink:

Originally posted by the lady with the lovely figure (note to self - pack pink-camo party pj's )sew some sequins on, girl!! :hug:
(note to self - do not attempt to compete with la Sheena's wardrobe as that way insanity lies :nice: )

Chicklet
23rd-September-2003, 08:46 AM
DS, if you can put up with me singing you'd both be more than welcome to come down in the Chickiemobile leaving Burnside on Sat after lunchish - TT may insist on sitting on your knee but that'll just save on heating I guess.:D :waycool:

Lou
23rd-September-2003, 08:52 AM
Awwwww! I would've come up for this, but I'll be in Philadelphia at the time. :grin: Sorry, mate! :sad:

Lounge Lizard
23rd-September-2003, 09:18 AM
hi
Sorry cant make it as I am DJ'ing at Woking
sounds like a great night.
Peter

Tiggerbabe
23rd-September-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Sorry cant make it as I am DJ'ing at Woking
sounds like a great night.
Peter
Aw Peter - bring them with you (no idea where or how far Woking is :wink: ) the more the merrier!

and Em! NO more sequins - at least till Musselburgh.........but then again, they do look "lovely" don't they? :D

Lounge Lizard
23rd-September-2003, 01:46 PM
I am playing the swing room at Rebel yell, Robert Cordoba (best west coast swing dancer in the world!) will be dancing so will be a great night, shame it clashes.
p

Tiggerbabe
23rd-September-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by Lounge Lizard
Robert Cordoba (best west coast swing dancer in the world!) will be dancing
:drool: :drool:

RoyBoy
23rd-September-2003, 10:04 PM

And the lovely Roy'll be there *swoon*
Awww shucks Sheena shtoppit yer makin me blush:blush:
Really looking forward to seeing you guys. Its gonnae be a BLAST.

Alfie
23rd-September-2003, 10:37 PM
Hi to everyone who is coming to Northwich for Gus's Birthday bash.
:wink: Please remember to bring your wallets, purses, credit cards, cheque books or whatever passes for currency in your part of the world.:grin:
This is so you can visit the Boogiesteps stall and buy shoes and clothes from Nessie2611 keeping her busy thus enableing me to dance with all the loverly visiting Ladies.

Gus
23rd-September-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by RoyBoy
Awww shucks Sheena shtoppit yer makin me blush:blush:
Really looking forward to seeing you guys. Its gonnae be a BLAST.

This is getting a bit scary .... got such likeable people as Sheena, Lovely Roy, Helen Z, Emma, Punkfish et al all making the effort to come .... will have to lay on extra chocolates.

If you can, plesae bring down the forum banner and we'll put it ... reckon there should be at least 20/30 forum members there soI'll try to get a forum corner organised for some part of the night. Also intend to heavily promote the Scottish Championships.:grin:

If you have any special music requests, please PM them and we'll try to add them to the nights playlist.

Emma
23rd-September-2003, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Gus
.... will have to lay on extra chocolates. *Never* a bad plan :waycool: :cheers:

Dave Hancock
24th-September-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Gus
If you can, plesae bring down the forum banner and we'll put it ... reckon there should be at least 20/30 forum members there soI'll try to get a forum corner organised for some part of the night. Also intend to heavily promote the Scottish Championships.:grin:

We'll just take flags and it'll be like Blackpool mark II.

Am getting one or two messages at the moment from Aberdonians who are also thinking of the trip, so it gets bigger by the day.

Gus - What's the capacity??

Dave Hancock
24th-September-2003, 01:53 PM
Requests - Nothing by Twain or Kylie.

Is there anything on the Friday night as may be down early evening, any workshops or things on the Sunday?

Gus
24th-September-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Dave Hancock
Gus - What's the capacity??
Pretty damn big. Overall capacity is about 300 but from a dance perspective we had 220 when we had Viktor here and there was still room on the dancefloor. I expect we should get between 150 to 200.

sorry ... no workshops on but drinking can always be arranged

:grin:

Tiggerbabe
25th-September-2003, 12:23 AM
Requests - OOOOh! Well, seeing as you've asked............

Avril - Sk8er Boi
RHCP - By The Way - or Dozed
Bellevue Cadillac - Cuppa Joe
Kenny G - Havannah
Indigo Swing - Ruby Mae
Touch & Go - Life's a Beach (Straight to No 1)
Big Brovaz - Nu Flow
Rachel Stevens - LA Ex
Alizee - Moi Lollita
Baby Face & Desiree - Fire
Darude - Sandstorm
Alex Gold - Foreign Shore

Have a listen to the new Sugababes one - heard it the other night - think it's called "Hole in the Head" - not sure if it works though, haven't danced to it ...........YET :wink:

Gus
25th-September-2003, 07:51 AM

RHCP - By The Way - or Dozed
Bellevue Cadillac - Cuppa Joe
Kenny G - Havannah
Rachel Stevens - LA Ex
Alizee - Moi Lollita
Alex Gold - Foreign Shore

And these would be available where?? :what:

Thats not THE Rachel Stevens is it ... as in heavy on the pouting, very light on the clothing and singing ability...:wink:

Dave Hancock
25th-September-2003, 08:59 AM

Sheen Babe,

Can I make a request that if Mr Gus finds this track that you save a wee space on your dance card for me, pleeeeaaaasssseee:kiss:

Chicklet
25th-September-2003, 10:29 AM

Maybe he'll be brave enough to play the 'riginal:devil:

Now where's that "things you'll never hear at a ceroc night" thread

"Sure we could do with some more Bruce Springsteen around here"

(that'll be an Irish ceroc night, obviously:rofl: )

Dave Hancock
25th-September-2003, 11:04 AM
I have a kind of dance fantasy that I get to dance to Bruce Springsteen - "The River" sometime, as it's one of my favourite all-time songs.

Could I request this for a week on Saturday, although it might be hard to fit in with your normal music Mr Gus.

Boomer
25th-September-2003, 11:17 AM
I have a kind of dance fantasy that I get to dance to Bruce Springsteen - "The River" sometime, as it's one of my favourite all-time songs.

:what: I can picture the new move created to this...basket, step into 'sobbing uncontrolably into cups because life is unfair'. Cheerful way to start end the night :tears: :nice: :yum:

Boomer
25th-September-2003, 11:30 AM
Any chance of some Leonard Cohen? :what: Happy birthday Gus:what:

Dave Hancock
25th-September-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Boomer
Happy birthday Gus:what:

Touch premature aren’t you?? (sorry couldn't pass up that opportunity:D )

Boomer
25th-September-2003, 11:35 AM
Touch premature aren’t you?? (sorry couldn't pass up that opportunity:D )

5-4-3-2-1...Hello Grant...and here comes Pammy

:D

Chicklet
25th-September-2003, 11:37 AM
you get yourself a job workin construction for the Johnstown Company and you just never know what might happen

cos a dream's a lie if it don't come true, or it might be something worse (sic)

Would LOVE to hear some Brucie of a dance evening but have sneaking suspicion we might (oh no) get the floor to ourselves scoobert.:drool::eek:

Chicklet
25th-September-2003, 11:45 AM
:what: I can picture the new move created to this...basket, step into 'sobbing uncontrolably into cups because life is unfair'. Cheerful way to start end the night :tears: :nice: :yum: :really: Boomer I'm guessing you've not seen DH on the floor, he's far more likely to concentrate hamming up the sex content of the song than the despair side!!:D

Boomer
25th-September-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
:really: Boomer I'm guessing you've not seen DH on the floor, he's far more likely to concentrate hamming up the sex content of the song than the despair side!!:D

Then he truely is a man of men, a king of kings, a paragon of paragons and a scooby of doos. DH, I salute you:cheers: Me, I'll just wail like an airraid siren- sensitive soul I am:nice:

Graham
25th-September-2003, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Gus

Thats not THE Rachel Stevens is it ... as in heavy on the pouting, very light on the clothing and singing ability...:wink:

Er - all good record stores? It IS "THE" Rachel Stevens - full title is "Sweet Dreams my LA Ex", and it's available on Amazon, etc. Alizee - Moi Lolita is also on Amazon, so is Kenny G - Havana - perhaps folks (at least Heather) can see a pattern emerging? :wink:

Dave Hancock
25th-September-2003, 12:32 PM
Gus,

Thinking of more requests (and getting back on topic), we were out for dinner last week and heard Brand Van 2000 (or 3000 - can't mind their name), but the song was called Drinking in LA - really ace song, are you aware of it?? and would it be playable??

Grant
25th-September-2003, 01:08 PM
5-4-3-2-1...Hello Grant...and here comes Pammy

:D
don't expect us to clean up after you every time boomer

perhaps your mum can take care of it :wink:

grant

Gus
25th-September-2003, 05:39 PM
Sheen Babe,

Can I make a request that if Mr Gus finds this track that you save a wee space on your dance card for me, pleeeeaaaasssseee:kiss:

Just a thought ... but many moons ago I introduced a 'dance card' slot where everyone was given an old fashioned dancecard and people booked other dancers .. preferably dancers they had not previously danced with. Lasted for 3 records. Think it would be a good idea to re-introduce?

Dance Demon
25th-September-2003, 05:41 PM

Have a listen to the new Sugababes one - heard it the other night - think it's called "Hole in the Head" - not sure if it works though, haven't danced to it ...........YET :wink:

Know it's a bit off thread sheena, but I've got this one and will play it for you if you are at TTs charity night:D

Emma
25th-September-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Gus
Just a thought ... but many moons ago I introduced a 'dance card' slot where everyone was given an old fashioned dancecard and people booked other dancers .. preferably dancers they had not previously danced with. Lasted for 3 records. Think it would be a good idea to re-introduce? Wasn't there a thread about this at some point?(must have been when you were on a hiatus, Gus!)

I seem to remember being rather vehemently against the concept..:innocent: though I can possibly see it working if the point really was about dancing with unknown people. Sadly I'm not convinced that human nature would allow that! :what:

Tiggerbabe
26th-September-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Dance Demon
Know it's a bit off thread sheena, but I've got this one and will play it for you if you are at TTs charity night:D

Fab! Thanks DD - and what do you reckon - does it work?

Tiggerbabe
26th-September-2003, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by Gus

In my cd collection young man! I'll gladly bring them with me if you like :D

Dave Hancock
26th-September-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Gus
Just a thought ... but many moons ago I introduced a 'dance card' slot where everyone was given an old fashioned dancecard and people booked other dancers .. preferably dancers they had not previously danced with. Lasted for 3 records. Think it would be a good idea to re-introduce?

Think this sounds quite a good idea and remember the thread as Emma does, although not sure how neccessary there are as from my two visits to your parts of the woods in the summer the locals were very friendly and welcoming and hardly got a chance to sit down as it was.:D

Chicklet
26th-September-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Emma
Wasn't there a thread about this at some point?(must have been when you were on a hiatus, Gus!)

Think it might have been one of mine, as usual there were excellent views put forward both for and against and I THINK (haven't reviewed the thread) we kind of agreed (as much as we ever agree on anything:rofl: ) that it might be interesting and work on a small scale as a kind of a novelty (eg 3 dances or so exactly as Gus suggests)

So, although I agree with the view that it's not something we NEED, I'd certainly be up for giving it a go, 'specially as I'm shy and never get the courage to ask...

C:D

Grant
26th-September-2003, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Chicklet
'specially as I'm shy
C:D
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

grant

Steven
26th-September-2003, 10:34 AM
My only request is Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours

Have not danced to it yet but was listening to it last night and thought it could be good.

Anyone tried it yet?

Cheers
Steven

Lounge Lizard
26th-September-2003, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Steven
My only request is Christina Aguilera - Get Mine, Get Yours

Have not danced to it yet but was listening to it last night and thought it could be good.

Anyone tried it yet?

Cheers
Steven

Unless there is a dance version not sure if it will work, the album track is only 88bpm, I would normally stop at about 115bpm for ceroc tracks.

But I agree great track
peter