PDA

View Full Version : identifying who sent rep

Shea
18th-October-2007, 04:30 PM
I've just recieved my first rep, :clap: complete with cheeky comment!
However, I can't seem to see the name of who was so kind to send me them (though I think I have a fair idea!)

I'd like to thank them with my own suitably cheeky comment, so how can I find out who sent it?

Apologies if this question has been asked oodles of times before!

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 04:34 PM
However, I can't seem to see the name of who was so kind to send me them (though I think I have a fair idea!)

I'd like to thank them with my own suitably cheeky comment, so how can I find out who sent it?

Apologies if this question has been asked oodles of times before!

I have just received my first too but it stated in the comment, who it was.

On another forum which this forum software you get to find out if you subscribe. I don't know if that is the case here yet. I have only been here 24 hours or so!

MartinHarper
To identify the sender, you need to become a silver member or an investigative journalist.

Lynn

I'd like to thank them with my own suitably cheeky comment, so how can I find out who sent it? If you are a paid up member you can see who sent you rep, if not, you can't.

I always sign rep, if its someone who has silver membership (name is in bold) I probably just sign it L, but if a regular member I put my name so they know who its from.

(Oh, and nice way to get lots more rep!)

Shea
18th-October-2007, 04:47 PM
To identify the sender, you need to become a silver member or an investigative journalist.

Hmm..I see. Think I'm just about due for a career change!

If you are a paid up member you can see who sent you rep, if not, you can't.

I always sign rep, if its someone who has silver membership (name is in bold) I probably just sign it L, but if a regular member I put my name so they know who its from.

Thanks Lynn! You're actually considerate to people on the forum - unlike some others!! He He. :D I'll get to the bottom of it.
And I'll send you some rep when I work out how to do it!!:flower:

Lynn
18th-October-2007, 04:54 PM
Thanks Lynn! You're actually considerate to people on the forum Wheras off the forum I'm really very cheeky? Yeah I know!:wink:

And I'll send you some rep when I work out how to do it!!:flower: Click on the little X to the left of posts at the bottom (middle button between 'online status' and 'report post').

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 04:55 PM
Hmm..I see. Think I'm just about due for a career change!

Thanks Lynn! You're actually considerate to people on the forum - unlike some others!! He He. :D I'll get to the bottom of it.
And I'll send you some rep when I work out how to do it!!:flower:

Click on the scales in the bottom left hand corner of a post. Hope that helps! :wink:

Shea
18th-October-2007, 04:55 PM
And I'll send you some rep when I work out how to do it!!

There, think I gave you rep Lynn but it looks like your rep power changed?? All very strange!!

Shea
18th-October-2007, 04:58 PM
Click on the little X to the left of posts at the bottom (middle button between 'online status' and 'report post').

Click on the scales in the bottom left hand corner of a post. Hope that helps! :wink:

Thanks!:flower:

Lynn
18th-October-2007, 05:08 PM
There, think I gave you rep Lynn but it looks like your rep power changed?? All very strange!!It just does that temporarily. I think for me it would show 4:4 where it normally says Rep Power:4 but no change to rep (and no change to rep power, it just changes how its displayed). To view the rep effect just refresh the screen. I have no idea why it does this!

ducasi
18th-October-2007, 08:41 PM
There, think I gave you rep Lynn but it looks like your rep power changed?? All very strange!!
It's a bug!

ducasi
18th-October-2007, 08:42 PM
Either you've just got a lot of rep today – your score is 37, or you might have got some rep before, but just not noticed?

Lynn
18th-October-2007, 09:58 PM
Either you've just got a lot of rep today – your score is 37, or you might have got some rep before, but just not noticed?When I first read the thread Shea's rep was 15, each time I looked it was more... hence my comment in my first post in the thread!

ducasi
19th-October-2007, 08:41 AM
When I first read the thread Shea's rep was 15, each time I looked it was more... hence my comment in my first post in the thread!
Good point! Her rep's now 47! :worthy:

Spiky Steve
19th-October-2007, 10:24 AM
If you are a paid up member you can see who sent you rep, if not, you can't.

Is it the same for negative rep?

Sorry too busy to read the manual.

Caz
19th-October-2007, 10:26 AM

Who would want to neg rep you??? you are fab xx

Lynn
19th-October-2007, 10:29 AM
Good point! Her rep's now 47! :worthy:Now 46. So someone has neg repped her. What on earth for? I hope they signed it!

Beowulf
19th-October-2007, 11:43 AM
ooh! something odd afoot !!

It seems I'm giving out 10 rep points and not 5 as it should be !!

David Bailey
19th-October-2007, 11:55 AM
ooh! something odd afoot !!

It seems I'm giving out 10 rep points and not 5 as it should be !!
Rep "punching" power is increased in some areas, this being an incentive to post in those areas.

Shea
19th-October-2007, 02:13 PM
Hey, I’m glad I started this thread!!
Yesterday I had the obligatory 10 rep points and all of a sudden I’ve gone up to 56!!
I like this!

Thanks to everyone for their rep and comments. :flower: Rep going back to you all – apart from one, obviously!

Now 46. So someone has neg repped her. What on earth for? I hope they signed it!

Apparently “rep is boring”! :eek:

But now I’ve upgraded to Silver I know who you are!! :D

Thanks Beo and Spiky Steve :hug: for countering –ve rep from that sad, lonley individual.

Cheeky comment on its way S38!!

Rep "punching" power is increased in some areas, this being an incentive to post in those areas.

Ooooo....so much to learn!

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2007, 02:42 PM
Apparently “rep is boring”! :eek:

But now I’ve upgraded to Silver I know who you are!! :D

My work here is done. (rides off toward sunset)

:)

Shea
19th-October-2007, 03:00 PM
Enjoy the sunset DS! :grin:

By the way, before anyone else gets offended (and not referring to DS, I hasten to add!) this is all just a bit of fun! Not to be taken seriously!!

Hey, it's Friday with dancin to be had at the weekend!

Keep smiling!
:grin: :D :nice: :)

Lynn
19th-October-2007, 03:43 PM
Not to be taken seriously!! Best way to view rep. :D Its the comments that matter to me, the fact that someone clicks on the button and gives a comment on my post - that's what I like, it doesn't matter whether its worth 1 rep point or 10.

The 'rep is boring' comment is bizzare, if someone thinks that why bother to read this thread? And then to use neg rep as a way to comment on thinking rep is boring... :rolleyes:

Hey, it's Friday with dancin to be had at the weekend!I wish! :(

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2007, 04:03 PM
Best way to view rep. :D Its the comments that matter to me, the fact that someone clicks on the button and gives a comment on my post - that's what I like, it doesn't matter whether its worth 1 rep point or 10.

The 'rep is boring' comment is bizzare, if someone thinks that why bother to read this thread? And then to use neg rep as a way to comment on thinking rep is boring... :rolleyes:

Its called irony :) - as you say, the "best way view rep " is to not take it seriously. Ironic that you criticise the use of rep when you're not talking it seriously, unless you too are being ironic ;)

Its just a shame that I'm not wearing a shirt today, all this irony would be doing it a world of good. Dress down Fridays - I'm wearing a leotard :)

As others have said "A traffic jam when you're already late" is not ironic, its bad planning :)

David Bailey
19th-October-2007, 04:05 PM
I thought you'd gone off into the sunset already?

Lynn
19th-October-2007, 04:06 PM
Its called irony :) - as you say, the "best way view rep " is to not take it seriously. Ironic that you criticise the use of rep when you're not talking it seriously, unless you too are being ironic ;) I did wonder if it was irony - it would have worked perfectly as irony if it was positive rep saying 'rep is boring'. ;)

And Shea is new to the rep thing, it would be nice to let her have a few days of getting rep before applying the neg rep.

(That leotard is very fetching on you!)

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2007, 04:09 PM
I thought you'd gone off into the sunset already?
theres t'internet access there too :rolleyes:

Shea
19th-October-2007, 04:24 PM
I did wonder if it was irony - it would have worked perfectly as irony if it was positive rep saying 'rep is boring'. ;)

:yeah: DS's rep was amusing but I got another neg rep comment from someone else who in my opinion seemed to take it all a tad seriously. But I better stop now before I get my wrists slapped again for complaining!! (that was a joke! Phew, this forum's hard work!) :grin:

And Shea is new to the rep thing, it would be nice to let her have a few days of getting rep before applying the neg rep.
Thanks!:hug::hug:

Hmm.....dress down Friday's and leotards....that's giving me ideas!!

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2007, 04:27 PM
I did wonder if it was irony - it would have worked perfectly as irony if it was positive rep saying 'rep is boring'. ;)

but the conversation was all about the positive aspect of rep, so neg made it extra ironic, not signing it - even more so :)

What, and make her think the forum is some luvy duvy place of positivism ? nah. Sooner or later she'll stumble into a Barry thread ;)

Who would want to neg rep you??? you are fab xx

Neg rep does not affect; job prospects, ability to win a Nobel Prize, your chances of signing for Man Utd or your fab ratio. No really!

As long as I look better than George Galloway in one....just :)

Beowulf
19th-October-2007, 04:47 PM
As others have said "A traffic jam when you're already late" is not ironic, its bad planning :)

unless you're on the Council board responsible for road planning .. THEN it's ironic. (yeah I saw that show too!)

Dreadful Scathe
19th-October-2007, 04:52 PM
unless you're on the Council board responsible for road planning .. THEN it's ironic. (yeah I saw that show too!)
i don't know what show you mean, I merely refer to the song :)

Lynn
19th-October-2007, 04:56 PM
but the conversation was all about the positive aspect of rep, so neg made it extra ironic, not signing it - even more so :) Signing would make it clear it was ironic... unsigned neg rep with that comment, not knowing who it was would lead to the reaction I had (which I revised when I knew who sent it!) which was that it was petty. There is occasional an element of that glimpsed on here...

What, and make her think the forum is some luvy duvy place of positivism ? nah. Sooner or later she'll stumble into a Barry thread ;)What, you mean he isn't being ironic too?

As long as I look better than George Galloway in one....just :)Definitely. But only because you're wearing matching leggings.

Jamie
19th-October-2007, 07:28 PM
Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back? Someone left me a very interesting rep comment and now I'm a silver member I can't find out who left it because it was months and months ago when it was sent! :tears:

MartinHarper
19th-October-2007, 07:30 PM
Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back?

I believe if you ignore everyone who recently sent you rep you may be able to backtrack.
Alternatively, you can click the scales next to the post you made that was repped.

Spiky Steve
24th-October-2007, 02:22 PM

After a really busy time at work I have finally had the time to investigate.

This not actually answered in the FAQ. Although it has been answered in a thread about rep.

Silver membership allows you to see who has sent negative rep as well positive rep.

Would you like to know what spineless person threw a stone through your window. In the case of a window you will probably never know and you have to fix your window yourself.

You can negate the extra insult of anonymity of neg rep by getting silver membership starting from £6 for three months and takes seconds with pay pal.

Definately worth the money in my opinion.

Steve

ducasi
24th-October-2007, 03:01 PM
Is there a way of seeing rep from a few months back? Someone left me a very interesting rep comment and now I'm a silver member I can't find out who left it because it was months and months ago when it was sent! :tears:
I think there might be a couple of ways...

If you know what post generated the rep, click the rep icon on that post and you will maybe be shown it.

Otherwise, PM a moderator with details, and if they've got the time they might take the trouble to digging through to find it.

David Bailey
24th-October-2007, 03:30 PM
Would you like to know what spineless person threw a stone through your window. In the case of a window you will probably never know and you have to fix your window yourself.
Blimey, let's get a bit of perspective here, huh?

It's a comment saying that someone disagrees / disapproves of a post, that's all. It's not like someone assaulting you or something.

Although, that said, personally abusive comments on reps / PMs, if reported, will be treated in the same way as publicly-posted abusive comments. This forum is not a flame-zone.

You can negate the extra insult of anonymity of neg rep by getting silver membership starting from £6 for three months and takes seconds with pay pal.

Definately worth the money in my opinion.

Steve
I hate to admit it, but the "can see who sent rep" feature seems to be one of the biggest selling points of Silver Membership...

Spiky Steve
24th-October-2007, 05:23 PM
Blimey, let's get a bit of perspective here, huh?

It's a comment saying that someone disagrees / disapproves of a post, that's all. It's not like someone assaulting you or something.

Thanks David.

It's the not knowing who gave the neg rep. It feels underhand and the FAQ implies this is done to cause offence. You get a few neg reps and you imagine all the different people that don't like what you have to say or the fact that people are generally being forum hotshots and unhelpful.

When you know you can realise it's just one or two people and suddenly the rest of the community becomes a lot more friendly.

Yes rep is nothing physical. If I were to walk up to you and make a rude gester or swear at you again that's nothing physical, but matters of the mind can be tricky. Something can happen one day and you laugh another day it invokes a different reaction.

All that said, I had gone off posting due to neg rep the major thing being it cannot be debated without attracting more neg rep. Now I am happy. I can deal with any feedback be it negative or positive. I just mean a simple PM to gain clarity for example.

I am so happy today that I cannot rep again until tomorrow.

Steve

MartinHarper
24th-October-2007, 05:38 PM
I had gone off posting due to neg rep the major thing being it cannot be debated without attracting more neg rep. Now I am happy. I can deal with any feedback be it negative or positive. I just mean a simple PM to gain clarity for example.

The great thing about the current system is that it allows you to be happy in knowing who is sending you rep, and it allows me to be happy in not knowing the same thing.

Happiness for all!

Spiky Steve
24th-October-2007, 05:50 PM
The great thing about the current system is that it allows you to be happy in knowing who is sending you rep, and it allows me to be happy in not knowing the same thing.

Happiness for all!

For me I happy with people who encourage and are helpful and who emphasise before criticising. People who give out as much positive vibes and feedback as they give out negative.

For me I can ignore the people who are only ever negative toward me. For me their feedback becomes worthless and invalid.

Steve

David Bailey
24th-October-2007, 06:02 PM
Thanks David.

It's the not knowing who gave the neg rep. It feels underhand and the FAQ implies this is done to cause offence.
Does it :what: ? Ooops - I can't even blame Gadget for that, either, I wrote all that myself I believe... :blush:

Hmmm, re-reading it, it says:

Also, please be aware that if your comment is unsigned, an unsubscribed member will not know who the comment is from – and this anonymity may cause (more) upset to the recipient.
It certainly wasn't my intention to say "Don't sign it if you want to cause extra annoyance" - my intention was to say "Please sign all your reps". Perhaps I should just have said that...

You get a few neg reps and you imagine all the different people that don't like what you have to say or the fact that people are generally being forum hotshots and unhelpful.
They're not meant that way - or they shouldn't be. They should be meant as expressions of disapproval of a post, that's all - in the same way that +ve reps are expressing approval of a post, not of a person.

Although, funnily enough, no one ever complains about +ve rep.

And I suspect you'll find that criticizing MH about his -ve repping habits is water off a duck's back, he's even got a large thread devoted to it (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/6705-negative-rep-martin-h.html)... :rofl:

Spiky Steve
24th-October-2007, 06:10 PM
Does it :what: ? Ooops - I can't even blame Gadget for that, either, I wrote all that myself I believe... :blush:

Hmmm, re-reading it, it says:

It certainly wasn't my intention to say "Don't sign it if you want to cause extra annoyance" - my intention was to say "Please sign all your reps". Perhaps I should just have said that...

They're not meant that way - or they shouldn't be. They should be meant as expressions of disapproval of a post, that's all - in the same way that +ve reps are expressing approval of a post, not of a person.

Although, funnily enough, no one ever complains about +ve rep.

And I suspect you'll find that criticizing MH about his -ve repping habits is water off a duck's back, he's even got a large thread devoted to it (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/chit-chat/6705-negative-rep-martin-h.html)... :rofl:
Thanks I will rep you tomorrow.

I did not mean to be that obvious but I guess people have been on here a lot longer than I and are all aware about the characters and their habits.

Steve

Shea
24th-October-2007, 06:27 PM
:yeah:

Jamie
25th-October-2007, 06:22 PM
Found the rep and now it makes sense!! SIGN YOUR POSTS PLEASE! :D