PDA

View Full Version : Double Trouble!

Steven666
16th-October-2007, 05:47 PM
So are there any Double Troublers out there? I don't see many other people doing it nowadays except for the same few. I personally like it and can relatively easily lead beginners through a dance with no trouble. Of course it is slightly easier with more experienced dancers but that goes without saying.

So are there anymore DTers out there and what are your favourite moves to use? Do you have difficulty leading some moves? How quickly did you pick it up and can you get through a song without repeating yourself?

-----

My favourite move is difficult to discribe. But the one where your holding both hands of both followers and rotating through a tunnel of sorts. I should learn the name of it. Or the one where after returning bother followers, keep both hands high and draw the right hand and place in your left so the followers rotate around eachother while you walk around in the opposite direction.

(I didn't explain them well, lol)

I have the main trouble with the the side to side and first move so have just stop using them.

I can get through a song without repeating myself with more experienced dancers but have to resort to repeating the easier leadable moves for less experienced followers.

killingtime
17th-October-2007, 10:22 AM
So are there any Double Troublers out there?

So are there anymore DTers out there and what are your favourite moves to use? Do you have difficulty leading some moves? How quickly did you pick it up and can you get through a song without repeating yourself?

Nah. I don't do Double Trouble. She didn't seem at all interested :what:.

(Right obvious gag aside...)

I don't do much double trouble, maybe once or twice a month. Do I have difficulty leading some moves? Yes, plenty of them. Can I get through a song without repeating myself? Maybe a bar without repeating myself. Is repetition a major problem?

I guess I don't see much double trouble being done, and when I'm leading it I might experiment with new moves a bit but I tend to do it so infrequently (I'm much more prone to swapping now-a-days) that I basically just have the core moves I learnt way back when.

Sparkles
17th-October-2007, 10:37 AM
I had some fab double trouble dances at Breeze this weekend (I like to lead when I can) - one with Zebra Woman and Puddy tat following (which some how Marc F managed to turn into him and four women :what: - though there wasn't much dancing going on :whistle: ) and one with Jamie and the Tramp following :worthy: :worthy:.

It's difficult to find space to pracitice, a social dance floor really isn't the best place when it's crowded. And I have to find two people who are a) willing to follow me and b) up for a laugh(!) before I can even think of having a dt dance...
... luckily these girls and guys fitted the criteria :grin: - more soon please! :clap:

Steven666
17th-October-2007, 11:24 AM
I had some fab double trouble dances at Breeze this weekend (I like to lead when I can) - one with Zebra Woman and Puddy tat following (which some how Marc F managed to turn into him and four women :what: - though there wasn't much dancing going on :whistle: ) and one with Jamie and the Tramp following :worthy: :worthy:.

It's difficult to find space to pracitice, a social dance floor really isn't the best place when it's crowded. And I have to find two people who are a) willing to follow me and b) up for a laugh(!) before I can even think of having a dt dance...
... luckily these girls and guys fitted the criteria :grin: - more soon please! :clap:

I know what you mean. I tend to pray on two females that are stood up together talking on the side of the dance floor. I try and stir away from such who are sitting down.

Not being harsh on people who sit between dances but the ones stood up often are better dancers/followers as inevitably they get asked more.

But leading somewhat beginners through even the simplist DT routines can be a good laugh.

In adddition to all this, my main Ceroc teacher is going to be working with me on perecting and expending my moves. :clap:

killingtime
17th-October-2007, 11:48 AM
Not being harsh on people who sit between dances but the ones stood up often are better dancers/followers as inevitably they get asked more.

Maybe the ones who are sitting down are:

good enough that they know someone will probably ask them anyway
wanting to rest their feet/legs

If the reason that people standing up are better dancers is because they get asked more then I see an obvious solution to making the people sitting down better dancers...

Just a strange logic, that's all.

Steven666
17th-October-2007, 11:59 AM
Maybe the ones who are sitting down are:

good enough that they know someone will probably ask them anyway
wanting to rest their feet/legs
If the reason that people standing up are better dancers is because they get asked more then I see an obvious solution to making the people sitting down better dancers...

Just a strange logic, that's all.

It may seem strange but more often than not it is true. Not always the case though. I don't want to generalise here.

But people ask other people who are stood up more than those who are sat down. That is just sheer fact at the places I go.

killingtime
17th-October-2007, 12:12 PM
But people ask other people who are stood up more than those who are sat down. That is just sheer fact at the places I go.

Entirely true. Lots of reasons for this, someone who is standing up at the end of the floor moving to the music is probably looking for a dance. People sitting down are more likely not to be. Depending on the venue layout there is a chance that you'll need to blank the person standing up to move past them to ask someone who is sitting down; it's much easier to ask the person who is standing there instead. The person standing is probably more visible than those sitting down meaning they draw more attention to themselves and have a higher chance of being asked.

I'm still not convinced about the correlation between standing and being good though.

Steven666
17th-October-2007, 12:15 PM
Entirely true. Lots of reasons for this, someone who is standing up at the end of the floor moving to the music is probably looking for a dance. People sitting down are more likely not to be. Depending on the venue layout there is a chance that you'll need to blank the person standing up to move past them to ask someone who is sitting down; it's much easier to ask the person who is standing there instead. The person standing is probably more visible than those sitting down meaning they draw more attention to themselves and have a higher chance of being asked.

I'm still not convinced about the correlation between standing and being good though.

It really depends on how long the person sits down for. Some people sit down for too long and do it every week. I make effort to get them up if I notice this but many people don't do the same. These are also the same people who general wait to be asked and hardly ever ask themselves. Therefore they aren't getting the level of freestyle practice that the people standing up are getting.

Well that's my logic anyway.

Lory
17th-October-2007, 12:54 PM
I quite like the occasional DT but I'll admit, I only really enjoy it if the other girl dances in a similar way to me.

If not, I find my self trying to imitate her style and synchronise our spin speeds, which can be too distracting to make it enjoyable for me.

But I do love it if I get another girl who likes to ham it up and play. :na:

It can be very amusing to see the poor guy go to pieces! :devil::rofl:

killingtime
17th-October-2007, 01:20 PM
I quite like the occasional DT but I'll admit, I only really enjoy it if the other girl dances in a similar way to me.

I'd love to have a DT dance with you and your sister, Tatiana, sometime :drool::flower:.

Tiggerbabe
18th-October-2007, 09:48 AM
I had a fab double trouble dance last night with Tiger Pants leading and Peaches as the other girl. Haven't danced DT in ages, it was a lot of fun!

Sparkles
18th-October-2007, 09:52 AM
I definitely need more DT moves... :(

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 10:05 AM
I definitely need more DT moves... :(

How many do you know?

I'm hoping to expand what I know soon when I'm getting extra training/practice from my main ceroc instructer. Can't wait.

Trouble
18th-October-2007, 10:08 AM
Andy McGregor taught a double trouble class some time back in Camba and it was the best fun i had in a long time. I was leading and had DTS and Jamie as my biatches.....

Great moves and would love to do it more often. Great fun being lead it too and as Lory says, if you get the spins perfectly together, it looks great.

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 10:15 AM
Andy McGregor taught a double trouble class some time back in Camba and it was the best fun i had in a long time. I was leading and had DTS and Jamie as my biatches.....

Great moves and would love to do it more often. Great fun being lead it too and as Lory says, if you get the spins perfectly together, it looks great.

Are getting the spins together down the the lead or the two followers? Or is it both?

I was a follower on it once and considered I had done very little following one-on-one I certainly found it an enjoyable experience even if I didn't always know where I was supposed to be going.

Jamie
18th-October-2007, 10:54 AM
Are getting the spins together down the the lead or the two followers? Or is it both?

Both really, the lead should give the same pressure first to see who spins well and who doesn't... if one spins slightly faster than the other (usually me :innocent:) then the lead can either compensate by giving less leverage for the spinnee to spin off... or the follows can mimic eachother and try to spin at the same time as eachother...

DD+
18th-October-2007, 11:12 AM
Both really, the lead should give the same pressure first to see who spins well and who doesn't... if one spins slightly faster than the other (usually me :innocent:) then the lead can either compensate by giving less leverage for the spinnee to spin off... or the follows can mimic eachother and try to spin at the same time as eachother...

Unless where Paul is leading me and you and i have to keep telling you "I CANT DO 13 SPINS" One is quite ample enough 4 me LOL:rofl::rofl:

Lee Bartholomew
18th-October-2007, 11:18 AM
I always think of Double Trouble as bit of a cheesey dance. Make it camp if you can. :wink:

A few cids I have on youtube that will either give insparation or show you what not to do :blush:.

YouTube - woodface, fletch and Serrana double trouble Modern Jive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=St8pjxQx2SI)

YouTube - Fletch, Swas and another double trouble Modern Jive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRGGrvlr-1M)

YouTube - How the hell did we win the ceroc champs with this???? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bDxpTqmg5M8)

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 11:36 AM
I always think of Double Trouble as bit of a cheesey dance. Make it camp if you can. :wink:

A few cids I have on youtube that will either give insparation or show you what not to do :blush:.

YouTube - woodface, fletch and Serrana double trouble Modern Jive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=St8pjxQx2SI)

YouTube - Fletch, Swas and another double trouble Modern Jive (http://youtube.com/watch?v=YRGGrvlr-1M)

YouTube - How the hell did we win the ceroc champs with this???? (http://youtube.com/watch?v=bDxpTqmg5M8)

Nice videos if a little dark!

Nice choices of moves but I'm sure you can't lead a fair few of them on unsuspected DT first timers. I do sometimes wish I had two willing followerettes to practice on regulary.

Tiger Pants
18th-October-2007, 02:03 PM
I had a fab double trouble dance last night with Tiger Pants leading and Peaches as the other girl. Haven't danced DT in ages, it was a lot of fun!

Amazing what you can do with three moves ......... mind you my usual leading of one partner only involves a few more than three moves.

Thanks for you patience TB and Peaches and sorry about the tongue out the side of the mouth thing going on:blush:

Martin
18th-October-2007, 02:46 PM
How many do you know?

I'm hoping to expand what I know soon when I'm getting extra training/practice from my main ceroc instructer. Can't wait.

I know lots, enough to get through a song with people who can follow.Who is your instructor?

Steven666
18th-October-2007, 03:18 PM
I know lots, enough to get through a song with people who can follow.Who is your instructor?

The person who taugh it me was a bloke called Dave Chriscoli (I think). I have stolen a few moves from a bloke called Phil and someone else but my instructor who will be working with me soon is Jayne Millard. She is just a top class instructor in my books!

Martin
18th-October-2007, 03:25 PM
The person who taugh it me was a bloke called Dave Chriscoli (I think). I have stolen a few moves from a bloke called Phil and someone else but my instructor who will be working with me soon is Jayne Millard. She is just a top class instructor in my books!

All good, I do not know them, but then I have been in Aus since 1999.

Have fun and enjoy.

Double trouble has become more common now, when I first started dancing double trouble in 1994, it was not so common, common or not, it can be fun.

My advatar has Lily Barker and Janet on my shoulders doing a double trouble comp. :D