PDA

View Full Version : Should Technical Dance discussions be in the Intermediate Corner?

David Bailey
10th-October-2007, 01:53 PM
Perhaps this thread should be in the Intermediate Corner due to its more technical nature.
:yeah: - but I wouldn't want to be accused of over-moderating, so you can do it :grin:

Amir
10th-October-2007, 02:34 PM
Perhaps this thread should be in the Intermediate Corner due to its more technical nature.

I don't get it - why? I don't think at an intermediate level most people worry about this.

I think an earlier post nailed it - in MJ you can dance either slotted, circular or all the variations inbetween. So it makes sense to get good at both and alternate between them as your mood takes you.

ducasi
10th-October-2007, 02:37 PM
I don't get it - why? I don't think at an intermediate level most people worry about this.
Because Intermediate Corner seems to be where more technical threads go. I'd personally rename that forum to "Technical Discussions" or something similar.

David Bailey
10th-October-2007, 02:42 PM
Because Intermediate Corner seems to be where more technical threads go. I'd personally rename that forum to "Technical Discussions" or something similar.
Especially as no-one knows what an intermediate is :)

On the other hand, you could argue that the entire "let's talk about dance" section is "technical", in that it's, err, talking about dance...

Ghost
10th-October-2007, 02:47 PM

Of the threads I've started

Beginners
Perfect Student / Student from Hell
Do you say you're a beginner and why?
Poll - age of Ceroc Goers (probably should have gone in Let's talk about dance)

Let's talk about Dance
"I'm not really any good"
How long have you been dancing
Practice or dance?
I've danced with Ghost and I'm a teacher / taxi / demo

everything else went into Intermediate.

I guess I see it as

Beginners - stuff that would be useful to know to get you through the first 6 weeks that you probably won't be told

Let's talk about dance - general discusssions on dance that anyone of any level can contribute to

Intermediate - technical questions requiring a certain degree of expertise to answer coherently and / or understand

I'm not aware of any "formal" definitions though :flower:

David Bailey
10th-October-2007, 03:00 PM
I'm not aware of any "formal" definitions though :flower:
The official descriptions on the forum areas are:

Let's talk about dance:
Talk about anything dance related ...
Anything to do with dancing, classes, etc...

Beginners corner
New to Ceroc ? Have a question before you start ? One of those moves is too difficult ?
Ask here... Ceroc teachers and experts are on hand to help you.

Intermediate Corner
Confused by the Accordion Comb Pull Crab?
Spinning gets you dizzy?
Would like some help with a tricky intermediate move? Ask here, and share your fave tips...

The Land of a 1000 dances
Sample and discuss dances beyond Ceroc and Modern Jive... Tango, Salsa, West Coast Swing, Lindy, Ballroom, Ceilidh, Gum boot dancing, Line dancing, Morris dancing, etc...

I agree that of these descriptions, the Intermediate Corner one is probably weakest - any suggestions?

Gadget
11th-October-2007, 05:58 PM
To the thread's question: yes.

Technical stuff is probably way above beginner level, even if it's relating to beginner moves or practices. (IMHO)

Jamie
17th-October-2007, 10:56 PM
Why not just have a technical FAQ section in Let's talk about dance...?

DD+
17th-October-2007, 11:00 PM

:yeah:

David Bailey
18th-October-2007, 09:25 AM

I was thinking about this a couple of days ago - more a "Ceroc Scotland Dance Forum Frequently Dicussed Topics" than an FAQ, technically.

I don't know if it should be a thread (even a sticky one), I think it'd be better as a complementary document to the other existing FAQ materials like the glossary (http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/faq.php?faq=csf_glossary#faq_csf_glossaryaz).