Is it....

Im going to post on the Forum

Or

Im going to post on the Forums

With the s or without?

Or are both ok?

StokeBloke
8th-October-2007, 11:10 PM
Personally I would say this is ONE forum, split into many sections. In Internet terms this ... errrm ... 'place' where we discuss the price of fish, grammar, car accidents, news articles and occasionally dancing is A forum (singular).

Crazy Shark
8th-October-2007, 11:11 PM
Well if you use the 'S' it'll be plural so you'll be posting it on more than one forum. But i think the 1st one would be better.

Vegetable
8th-October-2007, 11:17 PM
Do you not find that ppl say...

Im going to post on the forums..

because it has rubbed off onto me

Like in Wow people are like... "selling #### on the forums"

bigdjiver
8th-October-2007, 11:48 PM
How do you say this

Is it....

Im going to post on the Forum

Or

Im going to post on the Forums

With the s or without?

Or are both ok?
Correct should be in lower case. This is a forum, no capital F. There are other dance forums. There are many WOW forums. You can post on just one forum, or on many.

ducasi
9th-October-2007, 12:16 AM
It's confusing, because although we (or at least I) think of The Forum, it is sub-divided into a number of forums – "chit-chat", "social events", etc... One Forum, multiple forums.

Anyway, like I just said, I am posting on the The Forum. Singular, capitalised, emboldened, italicised and underlined.

spindr
9th-October-2007, 12:44 AM
Or are both ok?
Neither are ok; at the very least, each statement requires an appropriately located apostrophe.
SpinDr

SteveK
9th-October-2007, 02:51 AM
Neither are ok; at the very least, each statement requires an appropriately located apostrophe.
SpinDr

:yeah:

Just to get really confusing, there are also those of us who dislike the use of "forums"; and instead prefer using "fora" as the plural of forum. (This is similar to other discussions of plural forms of words derived from latin/greek).

Bet you wished you hadn't asked now? :flower:

StokeBloke
9th-October-2007, 04:17 AM
It's confusing, because although we (or at least I) think of The Forum, it is sub-divided into a number of forums – "chit-chat", "social events", etc... One Forum, multiple forums.

Anyway, like I just said, I am posting on the The Forum. Singular, capitalised, emboldened, italicised and underlined.Finally ... I agree with Ducasi! :clap:

Minnie M
9th-October-2007, 07:38 AM
:confused: excuse me if I am being thick here but ........... surely it depends in what context and who you are talking to :what:

You post on a thread on the forum :innocent:

David Bailey
9th-October-2007, 07:42 AM
Just to get really confusing, there are also those of us who dislike the use of "forums"; and instead prefer using "fora" as the plural of forum. (This is similar to other discussions of plural forms of words derived from latin/greek).
I think we've lost that battle (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=forums&word2=fora) :sad:

In fact, I even think "referenda" is losing ground, Radio 4 use "referendums" now. :eek:

ducasi
9th-October-2007, 08:19 AM
I think we've lost that battle (http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=forums&word2=fora) :sad:

In fact, I even think "referenda" is losing ground, Radio 4 use "referendums" now. :eek:
Sorry, you've picked the wrong country and/or century to live in if you want to speak ancient Greek or Latin. English is an evolving language.

Rhythm King
9th-October-2007, 08:37 AM
And while we're about it, it's I'm not Im... :devil:

David Bailey
9th-October-2007, 09:00 AM
Sorry, you've picked the wrong country and/or century to live in if you want to speak ancient Greek or Latin. English is an evolving language.
Oh well, could be worse, at least we're not speaking Scottish :na:

Seriously, some words just, I dunno, sound better to me one way rather than the other - and referenda is one of those. Fora, I can live without, however, it sounds too much like flora to me...

SteveK
9th-October-2007, 09:23 AM
And while we're about it, it's I'm not Im... :devil:

And seeing as two options are presented, might the thread title be "Which is CORRECT"

Beowulf
9th-October-2007, 10:40 AM
Oh well, could be worse, at least we're not speaking Scottish :na:

Ahem.. sorry must pick you up on something there. I may be mistaken bur I always thought it was....

Scottish People
Scottish Parliament
Scottish Culture
Scottish Cooking
etc

BUT

Scots Language.

I.e. "I am Scottish therefore I speak Scots"

perhaps this has changed now.. it's what I was told when I was young.

Anyway there are those who would say that the true Scots Language is GÃ*idhlig.. which I know a few words of.. but couldn't hold a conversation with it.

wigglebum
9th-October-2007, 10:42 AM
Do you not find that ppl say...

Im going to post on the forums..

because it has rubbed off onto me

Like in Wow people are like... "selling #### on the forums"
Your not a warcraft player are you??

David Bailey
9th-October-2007, 10:58 AM
I.e. "I am Scottish therefore I speak Scots"
Well, unless you're speaking Scottish English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_English) of course :na:

Beowulf
9th-October-2007, 11:39 AM
Well, unless you're speaking Scottish English (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_English) of course :na:

but that's more a dialect than a Language is it not. You might as well have said in your original post..

Oh well, could be worse, at least we're not speaking Aberdonian

or

Oh well, could be worse, at least we're not speaking Geordie

as a distinct language.. it's Scots , Scottish English isn't Scot's it's English (bit of a clue in the last word there my friend) :wink:

TA Guy
9th-October-2007, 12:09 PM
I had this problem a while back when writing the rules for an obscure, insignificant forum in another place.

In the end, I decided for the sake of clarity, that all the individual sections(forums) would be known collectively as the 'board'. As in 'no swearing on the board'.
And the individual 'sections' would be the forums, as in 'this is the chit chat forum'.

Calling a 'forum' a 'board' seems to have dropped out of favour these days.

Vegetable
9th-October-2007, 05:10 PM
Your not a warcraft player are you??

Nope i hate WoW lol...

I play...

Legend of mir
Rf Online
Ragnarok
Unreal Tornament
And Total annilhation....

Lol onli wen im not dancing