PDA

View Full Version : Problem with links (not terribly serious)

David Franklin
3rd-October-2007, 04:30 PM
When you create a 'permalink', you get something like

http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/social-events/14198-bliss-aftermath-4.html#post414695

(no particular significant to that link - picked at random).

Note the ...-4.html bit, which seems to instruct vBulletin to go to the 4th page of the thread.

This causes problems if your "number of posts / page" setting isn't the forum default, because in that case the post linked to won't actually be on the 4th page.

I suspect this is a fundamental problem with the permalink model and therefore not easily fixed, but thought I'd mention it.

Trousers
3rd-October-2007, 04:57 PM
Errr Right

Ok Dave

Thanks for that

ermmm

Good Point

Well Made

psst! Anyone got any idea what he's talking about?

dave the scaffolder
3rd-October-2007, 06:09 PM
Errr Right

Ok Dave

Thanks for that

ermmm

Good Point

Well Made

psst! Anyone got any idea what he's talking about?

Trousers me old bag of snakes...

The man has been hit over the head with a blunt excrement...very often (was going to say repeatidly, but cant spell it), never mind i can lift heavy weights all day long.

XXX XXX DTS Dave:whistle::whistle::whistle:

ducasi
3rd-October-2007, 06:20 PM
[...] I suspect this is a fundamental problem with the permalink model and therefore not easily fixed, but thought I'd mention it.
Think I've complained about this a number of times. It's the "Search Engine Friendly URLs" thing that breaks the permalinks.

The best way round it is to "quote" the post you want to link to, "preview" the reply, and then copy the link from the displayed quote – that really does work for everyone.

dave the scaffolder
3rd-October-2007, 06:22 PM
Think I've complained about this a number of times. It's the "Search Engine Friendly URLs" thing that breaks the permalinks.

The best way round it is to "quote" the post you want to link to, "preview" the reply, and then copy the link from the displayed quote – that really does work for everyone.

French French have we all turned French.

Wheres a geek when you need one?

XXX XXX DTS Dave :what:

David Franklin
3rd-October-2007, 06:24 PM

The best way round it is to "quote" the post you want to link to, "preview" the reply, and then copy the link from the displayed quote – that really does work for everyone.Yeah, but the problem is everyone else's links that I can't follow. And the chances of everyone doing what you suggest are approximately zero.

I've decided to go back to 20 posts/page instead.

David Bailey
3rd-October-2007, 07:31 PM
What about clicking on the number, rather than the permalink?

That provides a "thread number / post number" reference - without a page.
For example:
http://www.cerocscotland.com/forum/414608-post43.html

ducasi
3rd-October-2007, 09:42 PM
What about clicking on the number, rather than the permalink?
That only get you one post. :(

ducasi
3rd-October-2007, 09:43 PM
Yeah, but the problem is everyone else's links that I can't follow. And the chances of everyone doing what you suggest are approximately zero.

I've decided to go back to 20 posts/page instead.
I just stopped following links. The name of the thread in the URL and a wild guess is usually good enough. ;)

David Franklin
4th-October-2007, 12:00 AM
I just stopped following links. The name of the thread in the URL and a wild guess is usually good enough. ;)Oh sure - I mean obviously I remember every interesting thread that's been posted on the forum for the last 5 years. (How hard can it be to remember 3 threads? :devil: ). But which exact stupid w00den utterance is being discussed isn't always so easy to glean.

But seriously, it's not a big deal - it was just something I'd noticed as a 'glitch', and once I realised why it was going wrong I figured I might as well post about it.