PDA

View Full Version : In & Out

Connie
3rd-October-2007, 12:10 PM
Folks I need some advice.

I always end up with a very sore wrist on nights where this move is a part of the beginners routine.

What am I doing wrong? My wrist is still hurting from yesterdays class :sad:

Ghost
3rd-October-2007, 12:14 PM

I always end up with a very sore wrist on nights where this move is a part of the beginners routine.

At a guess, over-rotating your wrists. The "in" part particularly almost takes you into a wrist lock. Use a bit more tension in your forearms to "block" your wrists being turned so far in.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-October-2007, 12:34 PM
injury from an in and out :what: use fingers only, its not a wrestling move :)

David Franklin
3rd-October-2007, 12:40 PM
What's an in-and-out? (Y'know, Thetruth might have a point about my dance knowledge...)

One general tip for avoiding pain: try to make the 'forceful' part of the move act over a longer period of time. So if someone is pushing on your hand, give some (light) resistance from the start, don't wait until your hand has no more room to move before pushing back - if you've left it that late, you'll end up having to use a lot more force.

(Of course, you should try to reduce the amount of force anyhow, but sometimes you are at the mercy of your partner).

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-October-2007, 01:08 PM
an in and out is a beginners move where you face your partner, grab their hands tightly and push and pull them forcefully "in and out" - at least thats how i mostly see it performed :what:. Better if led with no force whatsoever.

David Franklin
3rd-October-2007, 01:12 PM
an in and out is a beginners move where you face your partner, grab their hands tightly and push and pull them forcefully "in and out" - at least thats how i mostly see it performed :what:.Being half serious: are circling motions involved?

Better if led with no force whatsoever.How about the gripping? Can I still hold on tightly to prove my dance-studliness? (And to keep them from running away!)

Aleks
3rd-October-2007, 01:14 PM
If you try to keep your wrists less mobile by pushing 'down' and slightly towards your partner, the force of stopping you should be indicated by the back of the leader's fingers pushing into your palms instead of the stretch in your wrist ligaments, which I think is what is causing you the pain at the moment.

Whitebeard
3rd-October-2007, 01:15 PM

Well, both wrists are used equally in this 'move' (does this simple action merit the term move?). So if only one wrist is getting sore I guess you have a weakness there which is exascerbated by some heavy handed beginners. One of my teachers always uses this move as a prelude/preparation to such moves as the Basket or Octopus; which works well.

As tought, I believe flat palm to flat palm is the norm which does involve the wrist bending back as far as it will go, so I'm sure there are insensitive hunks out there who can inflict pain. More experienced and sensitive leaders will be much more gentle. Personally, I always present the back of the fingers of a loosely closed hand to the lady's palm. No chance there of exerting undue force.

tsh
3rd-October-2007, 01:16 PM
Don't hold on? Use the heel of your hand on the 'in', not your fingers, and see if it helps by not flapping your elbows like a demented chicken (can't remember the last time I watched this move being taught, but some people do seem to have picked up a lot of 'styling' for this move somewhere along the line)

Sean

Tessalicious
3rd-October-2007, 01:23 PM
The only advice I can give, to add to what's already been said, is that you should try to make sure that the pressure you apply on the 'in' part should come from your upper arm as well as your forearm - therefore, your elbows (a larger and stronger joint) will take the bulk of the strain.

This is done by using your bicep and tricep to maintain a right-angle shape in your elbow at all times when facing your partner directly. With practice you will be able to take the pressure applied by your partner through your whole arm too.

Dreadful Scathe
3rd-October-2007, 01:36 PM
Being half serious: are circling motions involved?

actually it IS (was) taught that way, which doesn't help the beginner get away from the force thing, as any movement that is not back and forward lessens the connection they have and encourages the grip.

How about the gripping? Can I still hold on tightly to prove my dance-studliness? (And to keep them from running away!)

As a syncopated move it can actually be ok - but the more "forced" it is, the worst it looks - unsurprisingly :)

David Bailey
3rd-October-2007, 01:38 PM
What's an in-and-out?
:yeah:
I scare myself with how much I can't remember sometimes, I can never remember what a swizzle is either... :what:

Connie, I've no idea why you're experiencing pain - but obviously, you shouldn't be. Assuming you've got normal wrist flexibility, then it's something to do with either how the move is taught, or how it is led in the class.

Either way, I'd raise it with the teacher, as it's at the least something they should mention next time they teach it.

Gadget
3rd-October-2007, 01:54 PM
I would say that most of the pain is because you are absorbing the 'block' bit when you come in by letting your wrist collapse and be pushed back.

You will find that the closer to horizontal your fore-arms are, the more severe the angle seems to be on your wrists - personally I would try and keep the hands as low as you can*

As stated above, there are two solutions you can adopt, depending on your partner:
1) keep your wrist fairly firm and cushon the block with your fingers - you have to make sure that your "grip" is a loosley draped hand where the contact is primarily in the second section of your fingers: push with them to match what you feel your partner is giving you.

2) slip your hand so that the contact is with the lower part of your hand - the fleshy bit of your thumb/palm - all of the force from the block should now be going down your arm rather than through your wrist joint; it's your elbows/shoulders that absorb the force.

I used to really hate this move because it was taught with semi-circles up and down that caused elbows to flap: the birdy song was never one of my favourites. Now it seems to be taught as an excercise in connection and leading/following.

*When I lead this move, the block (from coming "in") is down with my hands by my sides and the increase in pressure is from the big fleshy bit of my thumb/palm, almost on the back of the follower's hand. This can bring the follower closer, depending on when the lead blocks them - if adopting this, try and be more aware of your partner's personal space.

bigdjiver
3rd-October-2007, 01:58 PM
:eek: :mad: :tears: :sad: :confused:

I don't think I like this move.

Connie
3rd-October-2007, 02:12 PM
:eek: :mad: :tears: :sad: :confused:

I don't think I like this move.

You and me both, its the worst move ever! and its bleedin always in the beginners routine:angry: Danced with a chap who managed to solely do the in and out, the arm jive and some other thing (not sure its got a name)

My poor wrist, no piano practice for me today.

But had some really good advice

Connie
3rd-October-2007, 02:16 PM
I would say that most of the pain is because you are absorbing the 'block' bit when you come in by letting your wrist collapse and be pushed back.

I think thats exactly what is happening, am just to rubbish at English to explain is as well as you.

When I step "into" the in & out, with my right hand to my partners left. My right wrist end up being pushed to the left hand side. Its that motion that causes the pain.

I hope that makes sense :sick:

MartinHarper
3rd-October-2007, 11:16 PM
I think thats exactly what is happening, am just to rubbish at English to explain is as well as you.

When I step "into" the in & out, with my right hand to my partners left. My right wrist end up being pushed to the left hand side. Its that motion that causes the pain.

I hope that makes sense :sick:

If you use a computer at work, you may want to check if you're using the mouse or keyboard in a way that stresses your wrist. This might explain why your right wrist is painful whereas your left wrist is not. You could also try using the mouse with your left hand for a bit.

SteveK
4th-October-2007, 12:20 AM
If you use a computer at work, you may want to check if you're using the mouse or keyboard in a way that stresses your wrist. This might explain why your right wrist is painful whereas your left wrist is not. You could also try using the mouse with your left hand for a bit.

:yeah: I used to get a sore right wrist (no inappropriate jokes please) from using a computer mouse at work. Since I swopped over to using my left hand to "drive" the mouse, I've found a couple of advantages of this, even though I'm actually quite strongly right-handed:
1) You actually become more productive - searching through text on the computer using your left hand, and then being able to make handwritten notes with your right hand;
2) Whilst it does take a bit of time to get used to, people are less likely to steal your desk while you are away, especially if you are sneaky and set up your desk so it is hard to transfer the computer mouse to the right of the keyboard;
3) You get to surf the internet and drink tea at the same time :nice:

Allez-Cat
4th-October-2007, 01:17 AM
Bunny Hops! Love 'em! Look your (dance) partner right in the eye, wrinkle your nose and make a face resembling a bunny nibbling lettuce (or carrot, or whatever) as you bring her hands together like a couple of paws at chest height. Said (dance) partner dissolves in fits of giggles, rendering her completely suggestible to your lead - no pain. Sorted. Unless, of course, she has no sense of humour.....

Ah well, back up onto my fence then.

Gadget
4th-October-2007, 01:09 PM
IWhen I step "into" the in & out, with my right hand to my partners left. My right wrist end up being pushed to the left hand side. Its that motion that causes the pain.
That's another reason not to bring the hands in to the center, especially at a higher level - it can force the wrist to rotate side-ways; the joint is only designed to bend up and down, it's the fore-arm that controls rotation.
If you try and make sure that your hands do not come too far inside your shoulder and that your elbows remain tucked in as much as possable, that will help. ("ebows in" will look better and have the side-effect of turning your wrist slightly out, helping negate the twisting motion... and hopefully the pain :flower: )

MartinHarper
4th-October-2007, 09:39 PM
Bunny Hops! Love 'em!

I thought they were squirrels.